Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

And yet its true. It happens in every game, and it happens in soccer too, but clearly you don't watch too many games of GAA, just the high profile ones.

Ahhhh.............when you don't have a reasonable point to make accuse the other person of not being a true Gaelic thoroughbred. Sure what would ye know about our games and ye only a blow in soccer fan.

You know nothing about me so don't make claims that you've pulled from the sky. I've plenty of involvement at club level and even if I didn't I'm perfectly entitled to express an opinion on Gaa. It's that type of closed attitude that kept the GAA back over the years. Stick to debating the points.

Unlike you I don't let bias cloud my posts. You'll see I posted in another thread that Cooper should have got red as his tackle was in my opinion the worst in the match.

I am willing to be objective. You aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't celebrate too much. Either Alan Brogan to start and Mcmenaman to replace him or vica versa I'd say. Both equally as good as Connolly on their day. I don't think this will weaken Dublin that much.

He still can appeal and I wasn't celebrating.

Both good players and dangerous but I would prefer to play Dublin without Connolly every day of every week. It's beyond a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

PARlance wrote: »
    He still can appeal and I wasn't celebrating.

Both good players and dangerous but I would prefer to play Dublin without Connolly every day of every week. It's beyond a no brainer.

Definetly agree. Connolly will be a big loss. It's a pity because he had defintely calmed down the last couple of seasons. However he seemed to be losing it from the start of this game and having a go at the ref a good bit. I can still understand his frustration with Keegans actions but you're on a loser once you take a swing at someone and its seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Paulzx wrote: »
    Definetly agree. Connolly will be a big loss. It's a pity because he had defintely calmed down the last couple of seasons. However he seemed to be losing it from the start of this game and having a go at the ref a good bit. I can still understand his frustration with Keegans actions but you're on a loser once you take a swing at someone and its seen

He's always been a hothead to be fair. Liable to score a great goal and a few points. Also liable to get sent off at the drop of a hat. Too easily wound up and Mayo certainly knew how to get under his skin. I don't think he was suited to that kind of game where the opposing team really get in your face. More suited to a game where he is given time and space and respect. And Mayo weren't willing to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Paulzx wrote: »
    You'll see I posted in another thread that Cooper should have got red as his tackle was in my opinion the worst in the match.

That is a fact. By far the most aggressive and most dangerous action out there, but somehow is being overshadowed by McMahon's headbutt / non-headbutt and O'Connors flailing arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Blackjack wrote: »
    That's not a punch. Not in a million years.

Maybe not but it was a lucky bonus. It's a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

blue4ever wrote: »
    You must all be on the "home brew" home brew west of Ballyhaunis

https://vine.co/v/eIjYalb3UIP

He didn't "walk into his hand" - that's a punch plain and simple - I see he even went for a bit of theater after throwing the dig.

Firstly: Can you enlighten me as to why ROC was pulling COC by the jersey from behind when the play was down the other end of the pitch ? This seems to have been the start of the incident. If ROC was playing the ball and not the man you would feel the incident wouldn't have occurred.
    Secondly: We can drop the talk of him " walking into his hand" which he didn't and we can also drop the talk of "a punch plain and simple". It a result of the flailing action COC engages in as he is trying to wriggle away from ROC. IMO its back of the hand connection between COC's hand and ROC's face

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Not a punch, but most definitely a strike.

Correct ascertain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Season ticket "bring a friend" sold out in less than 30 minutes this am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lots of rubbish going on all over these boards about punches, headbutts, black cards, red cards, tickets, touts, refs, etc etc

Gets really hard to keep reading at times.

But what do Mayo folk think about the chances in the replay ?

Personally I'm pretty upbeat about it.

I just think that they played really badly against a very good team and did lot lose
    They will not play as poorly again I don't think.
    And it's not a case of getting "their bad game over them", that's usually something that is said after you scrape past a bad team, Dublin are a good team, this was a really get out of jail situation.

I think there is a consensus that Mayo are much better playing their own attacking game than trying to play some sort of elaborate system to suit a specific opponent, this is what happened last year v Kerry in the first game and again yesterday
    When they put the head down and did what they ere good at, the high pressing attacking game, it reaped rewards
    That's not to say that you abandon the backs, they have to find the balance, and I think they will over this week based on what they learned from Sunday.

I think Barry Moran is a must to start.
    I'm not sure how much Vaughan will be missed, the down side is that he is a great man to get a few points in a game, but against a team like Dublin Durcan may be a bit more inclined to stay back.
    I really don't know much about Durcan so I could be way off with that assessment.

I'm not sure how Dublin are after that game.
    They blew it big time.
    They were ahead for all but the first few minutes and the last few minutes, they had a 7 point lead with 8 mins or so to go, their long range kicker who has been lights out for years was doing hos best Niall Morgan impression.
    In their first big test in 12 months they failed to win a game they should have easily.
    I don’t think Cluxton will be as bad again on Saturday but the guys is having a poor year by his standards.
    They will miss Connelly (hopefully) and O' Carroll also, if he has not recovered.

A point has been made that Dublin will not be as ill-disciplined on Saturday as they were on Sunday.
    I'm finding that hard to believe, I have heard and read a lot about how they are not the best at clean tackling, I'm not sure how they will learn to fix that in a week, it has taken Buckley years with Mayo to try and get it right

• Advertisement

Lots of rubbish going on all over these boards about punches, headbutts, black cards, red cards, tickets, touts, refs, etc etc

Gets really hard to keep reading at times.

But what do Mayo folk think about the chances in the replay ?

Personally I'm pretty upbeat about it.

I just think that they played really badly against a very good team and did lot lose
    They will not play as poorly again I don't think.
    And it's not a case of getting "their bad game over them", that's usually something that is said after you scrape past a bad team, Dublin are a good team, this was a really get out of jail situation.

I think there is a consensus that Mayo are much better playing their own attacking game than trying to play some sort of elaborate system to suit a specific opponent, this is what happened last year v Kerry in the first game and again yesterday
    When they put the head down and did what they ere good at, the high pressing attacking game, it reaped rewards
    That's not to say that you abandon the backs, they have to find the balance, and I think they will over this week based on what they learned from Sunday.

I think Barry Moran is a must to start.
    I'm not sure how much Vaughan will be missed, the down side is that he is a great man to get a few points in a game, but against a team like Dublin Durcan may be a bit more inclined to stay back.
    I really don't know much about Durcan so I could be way off with that assessment.

I'm not sure how Dublin are after that game.
    They blew it big time.
    They were ahead for all but the first few minutes and the last few minutes, they had a 7 point lead with 8 mins or so to go, their long range kicker who has been lights out for years was doing hos best Niall Morgan impression.
    In their first big test in 12 months they failed to win a game they should have easily.
    I don’t think Cluxton will be as bad again on Saturday but the guys is having a poor year by his standards.
    They will miss Connelly (hopefully) and O' Carroll also, if he has not recovered.

A point has been made that Dublin will not be as ill-disciplined on Saturday as they were on Sunday.
    I'm finding that hard to believe, I have heard and read a lot about how they are not the best at clean tackling, I'm not sure how they will learn to fix that in a week, it has taken Buckley years with Mayo to try and get it right

I would be upbeat as well in the sense that while Dublin can play a lot better, I doubt we'll play much worse.

I thought the management made a lot of poor calls. Standing off so much was a step too far, we need to find a better balance. Don't know what was going on with Drake tbh.
    We also need to figure out that sweeper role, not something that will easily be done before Sat. Much like Dublin's poor defending, I don't think they'll figure that out in time.
    Also thought that they were too slow to bring changes in the second half. Andy Moran needs to be on the field for longer if not starting.
    Barry deserves a start imo, does he come in to midfield with Seamie and Parsons dropping back if Vaughen is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I think there is a consensus that Mayo are much better playing their own attacking game
    They are absolutely breathtaking when they play like this. Can they sustain it for 70+ minutes though is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I re-watched the game myself this evening. Cannot believe we were as poor as we were. We never kick-passed as bad. The good news is the performance level can only improve. I think nobody will admit it but we definitely had a fear of Dublin coming into this match. Whether it was from the beating in Castlebar or the hype-machine in overload I believe we carried that mentally into the match, especially in the first half. After the way the game went surely the players now realise we are more than capable of beating the Dubs and can go into the next game with alot more confidence that we can get the job done.

Barrett had an excellent game on Brogan. I cannot put into words how good Diarmuid O'C was, wow he covered some ground. Id actually start Freeman inside with Aido, the 2 of those could cause havoc and give the Dubs backs something else to think about. I don't think Andy has it in the legs to go the distance and we need someone of his ilk off the bench. He will not miss two like he did on Sunday. Aido was far too isolated, something has to give with that. Doc couldn't possibly be as bad again. Think Big Bird coming in for either Drake/Vaughan is an obvious change that has to happen. One other change depending on fitness is surely Clarke back in for Hennelly.

A few changes so in personnel and with a massive improvement in our skills we have more than enough to beat them. What the last 10 minutes showed is that there is a fragility to the Dubs when they are rattled. James Horan made reference on Friday night to Cluxton carrying a knock and his kick-outs not being as good as they once were. This was very much in evidence on Sunday. If Connolly is missing (lets not underestimate how massive a loss he will be) let's be brave, push up on the kick-outs and put massive pressure on them from the out-set. We will murder them in around the middle and if we put the shackles on Flynn we will be well on our way. If its not working we can always revert to letting Cooper have it.

Sounds easy but I am quietly confident. Let's hope for a massive improvement in performance level and see where it takes us

Did you think Hennelly was poor or just that you'd have Clarke straight back in?
    Didn't think Robbie did much wrong, was unlucky with the second goal but kick outs seemed good. Haven't watched it back again though.
    Blue and white glasses on here maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

PARlance wrote: »
    Did you think Hennelly was poor or just that you'd have Clarke straight back in?
    Didn't think Robbie did much wrong, was unlucky with the second goal but kick outs seemed good. Haven't watched it back again though.
    Blue and white glasses on here maybe.

He punched one he should have caught which could have resulted in a goal but Kilkenny booted it wide. The goal was harsh but he must accept responsibility. Maybe I am being harsh but just feel Clarke is a safer option if fit.

I really think it's time to park all the debate on all the nasty incidents. Everyone has their own opinion on it but inevitably it is now down to the appeal process.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He punched one he should have caught which could have resulted in a goal but Kilkenny booted it wide. The goal was harsh but he must accept responsibility. Maybe I am being harsh but just feel Clarke is a safer option if fit.

I really think it's time to park all the debate on all the nasty incidents. Everyone has their own opinion on it but inevitably it is now down to the appeal process.

Ya, I agree to a point, he dealt with the 2 high balls in, the 2nd he should definitely have caught, the other went side ways and back, where is should "have" been cleared out the field, that said neither resulted in a score so he did his job.
    The goal MAYBE he could have smoothered it, but he would have committed a foul I THINK as he would have handled on the ground, that said sit on it and cause a hop ball as oppossed to losing a goal. Swings and roundabouts, I wouldn't be too harsh on him to be honest, and I have been in the past!

Ya, let it lie now, I've read some awful stuff in the last few days, some blinkered on both sides.
    I feel its going to be nasty on Saturday, even in the stand on Sunday there were a few incidents which were not nice, 2 young dubs arrested after throwing punches at a man in front of me. Dont want to see that happen to our game.

Let it lie and let the football do the talking.

yop wrote: »
    Ya, I agree to a point, he dealt with the 2 high balls in, the 2nd he should definitely have caught, the other went side ways and back, where is should "have" been cleared out the field, that said neither resulted in a score so he did his job.
    The goal MAYBE he could have smoothered it, but he would have committed a foul I THINK as he would have handled on the ground, that said sit on it and cause a hop ball as oppossed to losing a goal. Swings and roundabouts, I wouldn't be too harsh on him to be honest, and I have been in the past!

Ya, let it lie now, I've read some awful stuff in the last few days, some blinkered on both sides.
    I feel its going to be nasty on Saturday, even in the stand on Sunday there were a few incidents which were not nice, 2 young dubs arrested after throwing punches at a man in front of me. Dont want to see that happen to our game.

Let it lie and let the football do the talking.

I think he probably had it smothered as much as he could within the limits, he was fairly unlucky with the flick I thought... it was a great bit of skill and quick thinking to get it out to KMcM. Robbie probably had done enough 9 times out of 10.

Don't think we've much to worry about with either keeper though. Clarke would probably still be my No.1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mighty tickets. In 306

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

303 row v

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

306, they split the group though. 2 are in 303 and 4 are in 306

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

303 ROW J bit close but hey its a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Split your seating group Yop? That happened me for Donagal match, though it was my own fault. Payment card date expired and they were trying to contact me for a few days. Tickets eventually issued for 302, my 3 and the other 7 were in 304.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Split your seating group Yop? That happened me for Donagal match, though it was my own fault. Payment card date expired and they were trying to contact me for a few days. Tickets eventually issued for 302, my 3 and the other 7 were in 304.

Ya, v odd. 2 are on the one credit card, 1 lad has his own CC and myself and Dad are on my CC. So its v odd.
    Im "okay" as I am in 306 with the others, but the other man won't be too impressed as he was in 406 last Sunday with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ya, v odd. 2 are on the one credit card, 1 lad has his own CC and myself and Dad are on my CC. So its v odd.
    Im "okay" as I am in 306 with the others, but the other man won't be too impressed as he was in 406 last Sunday with the rest of us.

It happend a mate of mine and his son. Sons ticket arrived for printing. Fathers never arrived till following day. Son was in 304, Father was in 302 ( as it happened in the seat right next to me). I swapped with him but Luckly there was a spare seat in our row in 302

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Section 306 Row S...happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I got an insight into my mental state last Sunday if Mayo can ever get the job done
    it wasn't pretty :D
    can't wait for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

seligehgit wrote: »
    Section 306 Row S...happy out!

I'll be watching for ya. Glaring!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When is Connelly's appeal hearing and when we getting the mayo "team" news coming out.

I'll be watching for ya. Glaring!!!

I'll be delighted to make your acquaintance,I'll have a boards hat on my head!;)

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    When is Connelly's appeal hearing and when we getting the mayo "team" news coming out.

I believe it's tomorrow night,the appeal that is.Open to correction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement