Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I would say this is the real final.

Mayo can win it, probably the best Mayo team in decades, the problem is, probably the best Dublin team in decades too.

Dublin by 5+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Time for cool heads lads. We're more than capable of winning today, just need to keep our composure. I think Darragh O'Se said before about us, "Mayo need to stop playing like they are parked on a double yellow line". Big task ahead of us but let's hope we come out the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Call me Al wrote: »
    Just a heads up APCOA are already taking reg numbers at SuperValu Maynooth, so park very carefully.

If anyone is going to Maynooth I'll have ye know that parking in the college in free until late September. Only a 10 walk from there to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Time for cool heads lads. We're more than capable of winning today, just need to keep our composure.

Okay I'll do my best!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Best of luck to Mayo today.

I hope the Dubs have a good day too but just not as good as Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

yop wrote: »
    Should be a cracker, got the new tan and all ready for the game! :D
    i have a sneaky feeling we could have a draw, I can't separate the 2 teams, maybe the team who get 2 goals will win it, but the 1st 10 minutes will be a flat out period.
    Going to be emotional tomorrow with the #13for13 and respect to the Dubs for asking their fans to take part.

Not a good move to bring a Black and Tan, no matter how new, into CP:).

Anyhow enjoy the match. All of Mayo now engaged in quiet meditation and prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

David drake starting ahead of the bird. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭maximus15

strange move alrit!! . wil giv dem benefit of the doubt for now

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

great chances for mayo when on top for first 20 minutes of second half, unfortunate that it has ended like this

A handy draw for Mayo………PHEW ! ! !

• Advertisement

This game will probably bring on Dublin as it has been their first serious test this summer.

Mayo will have to be absolutely brilliant next week. They may be able to do this but they will have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

blinding wrote: »
    This game will probably bring on Dublin as it has been their first serious test this summer.

Mayo will have to be absolutely brilliant next week. They may be able to do this but they will have to.

It will do. But Mayo were dreadful for the vast majority of that game. You can improve tenfold for next week and there'll be no surprises left from the Dubs re: kick outs etc and Diarmuid Connolly may well miss out.

I still think Dublin should win the replay but you'll have a better chance next week than this week if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Got out of jail in a big way there.

Cluxton was cat from dead balls and that saved Mayo.

Some terrible wides early in the second half, really depressing.

On a positive note Andy Moran really lifted them when he came on, as did Barry Moran I thought.

And Cillian O Connor was superb from dead balls, kept them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Outstanding he was. A rare nugget of gold in a steaming pile of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Got out of jail in a big way there.

Cluxton was cat from dead balls and that saved Mayo.

Some terrible wides early in the second half, really depressing.

On a positive note Andy Moran really lifted them when he came on, as did Barry Moran I thought.

His decision making was for the most part woeful imo. He coughed up possession too in the final seconds of the match when mayo were in with a chance of getting the winning score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

We'll see do the Sunday Game highlight the all the cynical play and systematic fouling, the headbutt on O'Shea in the first half that should have seen red or the Brogan point that was at least 2 foot wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

We'll see do the Sunday Game highlight the all the cynical play and systematic fouling, the headbutt on O'Shea in the first half that should have seen red or the Brogan point that was at least 2 foot wide.

What about Coopers violent act of thuggery in 1st half on DOC? only a yellow for an ugly assuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

We were definitely carrying a few passengers in the forwards.

The AOS tactic at full forward works against average and poor teams. Dublin had it sussed early on. He's too good a player to be isolated in there and away from play. He'd be better off further out the field, or else put in another big man beside him.

We almost left the subs too late. Bring them on earlier the next day.

Dublin are there for the taking if we do it right and don't make bad decisions on the field and on the sideline. I still fancy Dublin to win though.

Looking forward to the replay and this Mayo team once again showed it is different to Mayo teams of previous decades and ready to go out on their shields for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Delighted they drew and it's not over for Mayo. I really think they will beat Dublin next Saturday.

Tipp man here giving my 2 cents folks.

Ive never stepped foot in Mayo mores the pity but i was rooting for Mayo today as if they were my own county. When they got the equaliser today i jumped all around the sitting room celebrating as if i was one of your own. And it made it all the sweeter given the adversity that ye faced today. Dublin clearly had their stall set out to stop Mayo's forwards from getting into any sort of rhythm and some of them had no interest in playing football. Mayo stuck to their principals and gameplan and thankfully were rewarded. I hope ye can go on and finish the job next day out and hopefully ye will finish the missed chances next time around

For all of the criticism that Mayo receive for falling at the final/penultimate hurdle, like ourselves in Tipperary with our hurlers they keep coming back for more year on year. They have the same bouncebackability of our own hurlers and the spider in the famous Robert de Bruce story.

You can be immensely proud of the bottle they showed today and they done the memory proud of that young man who sadly died in the road accident last week .

I myself had the obituaries wrote after the (wrongfully allowed) second goal went in and i bowed the head in sorrow when Dublin went 7 points up. I could never ever have envisaged the next 10 minutes to transpire.

Here's hoping you nail it next week and set yourselves up for the final. And i think that this time ye may just get over that line.

Momentum certainly with ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cillian delivered on the big day as predicted
    We are blessed to have him . He is so mentally strong .
    Job will be finished next week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got out of jail today.

I thought the lads on the sideline were very slow to make decisions. Letting them have every kick out clearly wasn't working, a bit depressing seeing us resort to that. Pressurize the kick out and then fall back if needed.
    Subs were brought on far too late into the game.

We would have lost that 9 out of 10 times with 7mins to go.

km79 wrote: »
    Cillian delivered on the big day as predicted
    We are blessed to have him . He is so mentally strong .
    Job will be finished next week

Best player for Mayo today was Tom Parsons imo. Immense. He won some amount of ball and surged forward each time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Do Mayo folk think that the replay should be brought out of Croke Park.?
    Should Thurles be considered? or dare I say, The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Best player for Mayo today was Tom Parsons imo. Immense. He won some amount of ball and surged forward each time

Thought himself & Diarmuid O'Connor were fantastic in general play.

Doherty & McLoughlin were absolutely dreadful in general play today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

washman3 wrote: »

You know the tickets are already on sale? Though I did think that was funny on the Sunday game that it should be in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

washman3 wrote: »

Hopefully not, I've got my tickets for Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We'll see do the Sunday Game highlight the all the cynical play and systematic fouling

They did in fairness. Whelan was trying to defend Connolly, Cooper et al but it was clear without them having to spell it out that the Dubs were much the bigger culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

They did in fairness. Whelan was trying to defend Connolly, Cooper et al but it was clear without them having to spell it out that the Dubs were much the bigger culprits.

In all honesty, Whelan was reasonably unbiased. Its bound to be hard for a commentator dealing with that sort of ****e today and remain impartial.
    I thought he did remarkably well given this evenings antics.
    Keegan wasn't blameless in that incident either, as it happens, but he got a yellow, should probably have been a black but lets ride that luck as it usually goes the other way. .
    Cooper should have seen the line for that flyinging boot IMHO.
    MDMA probably unlucky - a soft black if Ive seen it.
    Bastik however - yeah - he knew what he was at and he deserved to go.
    Philly McMahon - better I don't comment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Mayo did good considering the best efforts of the referee to beat them. Apparently criticism of this particular referee isn't welcome on boards so I'll spare people my stinging judgement of him, however any Mayo man with two eyes and a brain could see who he favoured and what he did and more importantly what he didn't do. With a different referee next Saturday Mayo will prevail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement