Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Ascii wrote: »
    2. We use him as a third midfielder with TP and SOS to effectively dominate the midfield sector from the off and force Cluxton into short kickouts and making them build from the back which as you can see last weekend on a wet day it will lead to spillages of the ball and with the way we can win turnovers will suit us.

Anyone agree with me or what are the thoughts ?

Adding a third midfielder doesn't guarantee midfield dominance though. Cluxton rarely hoofs the ball up the middle allowing an even contest so they might be made redundant. Happened to Aidan and Seamus O Se 2 year ago.

More often Dublin work an option using the pace they have in the middle third. No team has proven very effective in stopping them either. As Tomas O Se says regularly, Kerry put a lot into countering Cluxton. I don't know the stats but to my eye they don't get huge reward for it.

Get the feeling both sides will have worked on this kickout stuff tirelessly though. Whoever succeeds will probably have the decisive edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Great little buildup video by Elverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

statto25 wrote: »

Its brilliant (not that I'm biased at all :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

corny wrote: »
    Adding a third midfielder doesn't guarantee midfield dominance though. Cluxton rarely hoofs the ball up the middle allowing an even contest so they might be made redundant. Happened to Aidan and Seamus O Se 2 year ago.

More often Dublin work an option using the pace they have in the middle third. No team has proven very effective in stopping them either. As Tomas O Se says regularly, Kerry put a lot into countering Cluxton. I don't know the stats but to my eye they don't get huge reward for it.

Get the feeling both sides will have worked on this kickout stuff tirelessly though. Whoever succeeds will probably have the decisive edge.

At the very least we have more athleticism in midfield this time around, Tom Parsons will run from line to line all day if he must, no need to worry about AOS being dragged all over the field. Dublin have not met a team this year who are as good as pressing high up the field as Mayo are. So if we can dominate the defensive side of the kick outs and keep the Dublin half-backs from creating too much space then we have a good chance of nullifying the Cluxton threat somewhat. Arguably he's not as good as kicking long as he was two years ago. We shall see. The Dublin players higher up the field though are quick and are so regularly ahead of the play that we must be at 100% sharpness. The forwards must be economical as Keegan, Vaughan etc will have their hands full and won't be able to bomb forward as they have done all year. I think that's what contributed to our downfall two years ago, forwards didn't score from play and we didn't have the HBs to fall back on.

Mayo can win this but must defend like never before. Two or more goals for Dublin and it's hard to see us pulling through. You simply have to score so much to keep them at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with you. If Moran starts, there isn't a Michael Murphy type player for him to keep an eye on, so he will probably be played around the middle.
    We will definitely utilise another sweeper if it isn't Barry. It will be interesting to see who gets the nod, Cunniffe might be given the task - apparently he is doing well in training.
    Turbo might be doing well in training but he sure as he'll not doing it match day he has being well below par this yr and I don't expect to see him until the last 10/ 15 mins to be honest.

We can't let them have the short kick outs and we can't let then kick long only one thing for it then get oshea to burry him in to the goal like in the Fermanagh game to see if we can rattle him a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I don't think the team will line out as planned. Great decision springing BM from the bench from the start of the Donegal game because we needed to protect in front of Murphy. Don't think that is the case with Dublin. Cant see them launching high balls into our FB line. They will be more direct running and with the likes of Kilkenny, Brogan and Flynn they will take there scores from 40+ yards out. We all now BM is not nimble enough in them kind of situations. In my opinion one of two things will happen:
    1. A different team will line out with no BM
    2. We use him as a third midfielder with TP and SOS to effectively dominate the midfield sector from the off and force Cluxton into short kickouts and making them build from the back which as you can see last weekend on a wet day it will lead to spillages of the ball and with the way we can win turnovers will suit us. Last weekend the keepers had a horrid time at short kickouts. We seen Sligo do it this year in the Connacht final as well and we got a good return out of it. On the plus side it gives us an extra man for Clarke to aim for in midfield for his kickouts.

There has been a tendency for there to be match day changes.Can't disagree with the logic behind your post.There certainly will be a greater emphasis on a running game with the undoubted athleticism of this Dublin team.Their ability to kick points from distance is a huge threat.

Whilst there is no Kieran Donaghy like player on the Dublin team it would be surprising if they were not to mix it up as we are likely to endeavour.I am sure there will be some attempt to target the perceived weakness in our full back line with some high balls,I seem to recall that Bernard Brogan's opening goal in 2013 that brought Dublin back into the contest came from such a route.Barry Moran may still be needed to sweep in such a context but his lack of mobility will be a greater hindrance than it was against a less mobile Donegal inside line.

TBH I think Barry will start and perform quite a similar role as the last day out as we try to get a stranglehold in the middle.Tom Parsons is less likely to run out of steam as opposed to poor Aidan O Shea who was run ragged by Cluxton's kick outs in 2013.

One thought from the 2013 final on that hot day was that we ran out of steam earlier than the Dubs.We put so much into the first half for a measly lead when we shot some awful wides.We could't sustain that level of intensity in the second half........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

statto25 wrote: »

**** I wish it was Sunday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think the team will line out as planned. Great decision springing BM from the bench from the start of the Donegal game because we needed to protect in front of Murphy. Don't think that is the case with Dublin. Cant see them launching high balls into our FB line. They will be more direct running and with the likes of Kilkenny, Brogan and Flynn they will take there scores from 40+ yards out. We all now BM is not nimble enough in them kind of situations. In my opinion one of two things will happen:
    1. A different team will line out with no BM
    2. We use him as a third midfielder with TP and SOS to effectively dominate the midfield sector from the off and force Cluxton into short kickouts and making them build from the back which as you can see last weekend on a wet day it will lead to spillages of the ball and with the way we can win turnovers will suit us. Last weekend the keepers had a horrid time at short kickouts. We seen Sligo do it this year in the Connacht final as well and we got a good return out of it. On the plus side it gives us an extra man for Clarke to aim for in midfield for his kickouts.

Conceding short kickouts to Cluxton is madness, it instantly hands control to him.

We have seen before that Cluxton can get a bit vexed if things don't go his way, remembered the league game in 2014 ?.

What they need to do is harass him on every kickout.
    Not like BJK kicking the ball off the tee or anything, but try to do something to slow him down, and that could be the breaking of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

God forbid a Mayo player would stoop to BJK depths. McLoughlin depths should suffice anyway!

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/vine-stephen-cluxton-red-card-incident/

keane2097 wrote: »
    God forbid a Mayo player would stoop to BJK depths. McLoughlin depths should suffice anyway!

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/vine-stephen-cluxton-red-card-incident/

I was talking about doing it all game long, not just the once as BJK did, you would never get away with it all game long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:

I told you Keane watches over all posts on boards .

I got in trouble once when I said Flora proactive was better than Kerrygold!! :)

Stoner wrote: »
    I told you Keane watches over all posts on boards .

I got in trouble once when I said Flora proactive was better than Kerrygold!! :)

Of course I forgot.

The Keane that posts here is actually BJK.

Same last name same club...,

Just like KM79 is Kenneth Mortimer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Keane kicked the ball off the tee in the final last year. Pretty poor form. Did he do it again this year or was that a different Kerry player?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Keane kicked the ball off the tee in the final last year. Pretty poor form. Did he do it again this year or was that a different Kerry player?

I'd be wary casting aspersions Peist. You know you're being watched in here.

---

The butterflies have started to hit home today. I bloody well can't wait. May the best team win and may they hop off Kerry!

I'd be wary casting aspersions Peist. You know you're being watched in here.

---

Not casting aspersions and to be honest i do not care who gets offended. It is a genuine question. A second Kerry guy did that this year (ie kicking the keeper's ball off the tee) as far as i remember. Was it O'Brien?

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Not casting aspersions and to be honest i do not care who gets offended. It is a genuine question. A second Kerry guy did that this year (ie kicking the keeper's ball off the tee) as far as i remember. Was it O'Brien?

I think so actually. gonna check...

EDIT:

Only BJK is coming up anywhere even if I don't mention his name.

I think so actually. gonna check...

EDIT:

Only BJK is coming up anywhere even if I don't mention his name.

Yeah same here. Maybe i did dream it, was sure O'Brien did the exact same thing this year. Ah sure, no big deal anyways.

Donaghy did it in some game as well.

Donaghy did it in some game as well.

That's the one I think I was thinking of lad. Cheers.

Which game?

That's the one I think I was thinking of lad. Cheers.

Which game?

I can't remember to be honest. Something is telling me it was one of the Mayo games.

• Advertisement

I can't remember to be honest. Something is telling me it was one of the Mayo games.

The fact that we're in a Mayo thread and Peist mentioned it I would say so.

Was it in the first game of the SF last year? Though I go apoplectic at the best of times when Donaghy does anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The fact that we're in a Mayo thread and Peist mentioned it I would say so.

Was it in the first game of the SF last year? Though I go apoplectic at the best of times when Donaghy does anything.

It was below at "that match" in Limerick. Kicked the ball away from keeper, before he took the boots of O'shea and threw them into the terrace.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    It was below at "that match" in Limerick. Kicked the ball away from keeper, before he took the boots of O'shea and threw them into the terrace.

He's a classy fellow is our Kieran.

Actually not the one i was talking about, maybe i did dream this year's one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mayo.mick wrote: »

I heard for a fact that Donaghy is all the time robbing the shoes off homeless people, as it 'gets him off'.

I heard for a fact that Donaghy is all the time robbing the shoes off homeless people, as it 'gets him off'.

Confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

back to this weekends match
    Mayo by 4
    Kenneth has spoken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lads any opinions on the speculation re the placement of Barry in around the house...the so called twin towers.Might take a bit of the pressure off Aidan O Shea,nice to see the possibility that the management are again mixing things up...he can still come out to contest Cluxton's kick outs.It has the potential to keep the Dublin management on their toes re the final set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

*Holds up shoes*

"JOE BROLLY, WHATCHU THINK OF THAT!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lads any opinions on the speculation re the placement of Barry in around the house...the so called twin towers.Might take a bit of the pressure off Aidan O Shea,nice to see the possibility that the management are again mixing things up...he can still come out to contest Cluxton's kick outs.It has the potential to keep the Dublin management on their toes re the final set up.
    I think it's an interesting option and I'm happy that the management team seem to have a few different game plans depending on opposition
    I was not mad excited about the pairs appointment especially Holmes but I'll be delighted to eat my words in late September!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement