Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Definitely got of jail today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

seligehgit wrote: »
    Definitely got of jail today.

But we got out of jail more.

Watch it again. Tis a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But we got out of jail more.

Watch it again. Tis a cracker.

No.
    Dublin threw it away, Mayo got out of jail.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Happy and disappointed, more disappointed than happy, or maybe the other way around!
    1st half was shocking, lacklustre. Drake experiment was a bad idea and didn't work. Decision making and not pushing up on the kick outs was as poor as I have seen from us. COC and Parson stood head and shoulders above everyone else. DOC deserves a mention also.
    We have to learn from this game to move the ball fast, left to right passing across the pitch allows teams to get back.
    They game was there to win at the start and end of the 2nd half and we should be annoyed at that. Of course 7 down with 7 left was an incredible comeback, those who left with 10 to go deserve a kick in the ass.
    Ref had a tough job, can't say I was too impressed with him. But no matter what game we talk about, each week the ref has a big part to play. Linesmen are useless, my granny could wave a white flag, the amount of off the ball stuff was unreal.
    Blacks that weren't and blacks that weren't given. I suspect Connolly to get off based on the Keane farce, but McMahon deserves a stint on the line for the headbutt.

Back at it again next Saturday, pity its on at 5 and not at 3, but such is. On we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Any word on Vaughan .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    Happy and disappointed, more disappointed than happy, or maybe the other way around!
    1st half was shocking, lacklustre. Drake experiment was a bad idea and didn't work. Decision making and not pushing up on the kick outs was as poor as I have seen from us. COC and Parson stood head and shoulders above everyone else. DOC deserves a mention also.
    We have to learn from this game to move the ball fast, left to right passing across the pitch allows teams to get back.
    They game was there to win at the start and end of the 2nd half and we should be annoyed at that. Of course 7 down with 7 left was an incredible comeback, those who left with 10 to go deserve a kick in the ass.
    Ref had a tough job, can't say I was too impressed with him. But no matter what game we talk about, each week the ref has a big part to play. Linesmen are useless, my granny could wave a white flag, the amount of off the ball stuff was unreal.
    Blacks that weren't and blacks that weren't given. I suspect Connolly to get off based on the Keane farce, but McMahon deserves a stint on the line for the headbutt.

Back at it again next Saturday, pity its on at 5 and not at 3, but such is. On we go.

I would be surprised if they both overturned Connelly and ignored McMahon.

One of them is going to miss the game I reckon.

McMahon got a lot of attention on The Sunday Game, the CCCC rearly ignore it when it gets that much attention

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I would be surprised if they both overturned Connelly and ignored McMahon.

One of them is going to miss the game I reckon.

McMahon got a lot of attention on The Sunday Game, the CCCC really ignore it when it gets that much attention

I think Philly will get a couple of games and Connolly will get off.

Any word on Vaughan .

Shoulder, but no idea of severity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What exactly was the Drake experiment. In the Nally, so couldn't get a proper view of what his role was. Was he playing some type of sweeper role. And why play someone in that type of role that has hardly played all year.

Why didn't mayo go man to man on for Cluxton kickouts - at least on the Dublin full back line? So that when he kicks it long, Mayo supposedly would have the upper hand in midfield, but in the event that Mayo didn't have get midfield possession, one of the half forwards would have sprinted back to make up the sweeper role. Similar to Donegal tactics, but not to the extreme that they take it.

The slow build up that Mayo did yesterday is no good for our forwards. Doherty and McLoughlin don't have the strength or the pace to make dashing runs to meet the ball. Cooper had McLoughlin in his pocket for the whole game, and Doherty had an off game. Cillian O'Connor offered very little from play - when he did get it, he kicked a lame ball to Cluxton from 10 yards (albeit from the left foot). Mayo forwards don't have the pace, strength or shooting skill to play that type of game.
    To play to their strengths, I think they should look again at the A O'Shea target man role, but beef it up a bit. They need to keep the other forwards in beside him, making small off the ball runs, to wrong-foot the defenders, so that it allows O'Shea to offload immediately, or even just to knock the ball down to someone.

Sounds easy I know. But it needs to be with a bit more purpose. The 5 high balls that were launched into O'Shea in the first half hour were headless. No plan. It was a case of "right big man, here you go, lets see what you can do now".

I also think Ronaldson should have been given a run for the last 6/7 minutes instead of Mickey Sweeney. Has more experience, and has an eye for a point when the game was wide open, and Dub defenders weren't hangin off the Mayo guys.

Anyway, all sounds so easy on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No.
    Dublin threw it away, Mayo got out of jail.

This could go on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Am I alone in being slightly frustrated with AOS yesterday?

He seemed to gleefully take the ball into contact every time yesterday, even when a pass or lay-off was clearly the better option.

Overall mixed emotions after the game - huge relief and pride following the comeback but also a nagging sense that we didn't really play well and missed chances at key times during the game.

Anyway, hope the Dubs will be tired and deflated on Saturday. I think if Mayo play to full potential we can come out on top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Am I alone in being slightly frustrated with AOS yesterday?

He seemed to gleefully take the ball into contact every time yesterday, even when a pass or lay-off was clearly the better option.

Overall mixed emotions after the game - huge relief and pride following the comeback but also a nagging sense that we didn't really play well and missed chances at key times during the game.

Anyway, hope the Dubs will be tired and deflated on Saturday. I think if Mayo play to full potential we can come out on top

Why would they be any more tired than Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Why would they be any more tired than Mayo?

No specific reason really I guess.....maybe more mentally and spiritually drained after bottling a 7 point lead against a team playing well below it's par

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

AOS will have to get some change off the ref the next day. He caught the ball clean above his head on a few occasions and was pulled and dragged as he attempted to solo or hop and the decision went against him. He is some ledgend he took more verbal and physical abuse yesterday than most players experience in their career and he didn't loose the cool like the thug conolly. There was one confrontation between the 2 in the 2nd half and conolly was quick to exit the stage, he prefers his big hits from the blind side.Mayo were physical yesterday and often cynical but they never stooped to cowardice like Cooper, McMahon et al, even for that alone I'm proud of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ye have a real diamond in Diarmuid O'Connor.

keane2097 wrote: »

They badly need more new forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

keane2097 wrote: »

A lot more useful than the his brother that is for sure.

Jippo wrote: »
    A lot more useful than the his brother that is for sure.

Ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ultrapercy wrote: »
    AOS will have to get some change off the ref the next day. He caught the ball clean above his head on a few occasions and was pulled and dragged as he attempted to solo or hop and the decision went against him. He is some ledgend he took more verbal and physical abuse yesterday than most players experience in their career and he didn't loose the cool like the thug conolly. There was one confrontation between the 2 in the 2nd half and conolly was quick to exit the stage, he prefers his big hits from the blind side.Mayo were physical yesterday and often cynical but they never stooped to cowardice like Cooper, McMahon et al, even for that alone I'm proud of them.

Very proud of the way he didn't react to non stop provocation of many types !
    In some ways maybe he is a little too nice but he is so big refs are nearly looking for an excuse to card him so he has to be extra careful
    I predicted Cillian would be the man for us yday as I thought it would be a tight tense game
    I think Aido will win a more open game for us Saturday
    Also I don't know where the talk of Connolly getting off is coming from
    It happened right in line with me
    He punched him at least once in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Connolly will get red reduced to yellow on same basis that Kevin Keane got his reduced on appeal

• Advertisement

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Connolly will get red reduced to yellow on same basis that Kevin Keane got his reduced on appeal

Ah hey, Michael did you register just to tell us that :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

ultrapercy wrote: »

AOS kept his cool alright. Unlike O Connor who gave a fella 10 stitches for a jersey pull. There was wrong on both sides. It can be debated all day. Dublin lost the match due to consistant fouling and ill discipline.

For me the worst tackle all day and the one that was red all over was Coopers. The potential for serious damage was huge. The fact the ref yellowed meant he seen it so how he didn't send him off is beyond me.

But lets not pretend that Mayo were angels either

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Murphy14 wrote: »

How hard did you hit Kevin though, honestly?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Kerryman here.

I thought Mayo were shafted by the ref yesterday. Let Dublin get away with an awful amount even from viewing on tv. Was speaking to someone who is a selector with an inter county team (not Kerry) a few months back and he said Dublin are the most cynical team in Ireland.

Even taking into account the frees etc yesterday i thought COC was poor in general play. Aidan O' Shea was too isolated at times even though he was being man handled most of the time. Maybe moving him back out around half forward or midfield where there is more space would suit him.

Overall your forwards were poor enough for most of the game yesterday. For all the talk about Dublin playing defensive they just got numbers back, they hadnt much of a system truth be told. If may had more convicition and pressed forward they could have done real damage.

Mayo in a better place. I wonder will there be the same out cry about Dubs antics as there was for Tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Kinsella to ref it

naughto wrote: »
    Kinsella to ref it

whats he like?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

whats he like?

A quick google search produces no big headlines, which is generally a good sign.

Reffed the final last year, wasn't a big factor in the game at all IMO, which is another good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

martyos121 wrote: »
    A quick google search produces no big headlines, which is generally a good sign.

Reffed the final last year, wasn't a big factor in the game at all IMO, which is another good sign.

He wasn't a factor but he was shíte. Some bad calls and missed a fair bit. Shouldn't have gotten the final last year in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Guys
    Anyone get tickets online or other.

Online was down for the entire sellout period . Queue in supervalu for 2 hours and calling the gaa during this time .

During the entire period of the online failure they managed to sell out the replay.
    The lady at the gaa office said the tickets were sold at the Dorset steer office during this period .
    How in the name of God are you supposed to get tickets.

Either that or the gaa is ran by touts with a flair for online web page hacking.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »

Could it be true!! A ref who will ref and not be the talking point in the game! :D
    In fairness to Dublin Joe it was a hard job yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement