Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lads any opinions on the speculation re the placement of Barry in around the house...the so called twin towers.Might take a bit of the pressure off Aidan O Shea,nice to see the possibility that the management are again mixing things up...he can still come out to contest Cluxton's kick outs.It has the potential to keep the Dublin management on their toes re the final set up.

Think it's definitely worth considering as AOS will be getting a lot of attention from the FB line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin team is out ....Paddy Andrews is in for Kevin McManamon.....

Brian Fenton and Denis Bastick start in the middle,no Michael Dara McAuley..very surprising.

Cluxton
    Cooper
    O Carroll
    McMahon
    McCarthy
    O Sullivan
    McCaffrey
    Fenton
    Bastick
    Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Connolly
    Rock
    Andrews
    Brogan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

No more than or own team named I don't see that dub team starting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Michael Meehan says us by 1

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭maximus15

I'd like to think after the donegal game, that the homework they did b4 the match wil be the same for the dubs and so it cant be identical positioning even if same 15, bar barrett in.

2 different teams stylewise so that won't work again.
    Saying that as long mcquillen doesn't do a reilly, AOS AND COC don't take each other out of game and no injuries in next 2 days, we are well fit to take them with the power and strength we hav thru the middle.

The incentive of another battle with the Kingdom is enough to get any player psyched up for sunday!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There might be one change that's all imo. It might start that way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

maximus15 wrote: »
    I'd like to think after the donegal game, that the homework they did b4 the match wil be the same for the dubs and so it cant be identical positioning even if same 15, bar barrett in.

2 different teams stylewise so that won't work again.
    Saying that as long mcquillen doesn't do a reilly, AOS AND COC don't take each other out of game and no injuries in next 2 days, we are well fit to take them with the power and strength we hav thru the middle.

The incentive of another battle with the Kingdom is enough to get any player psyched up for sunday!!

The incentive of playing Kerry?

Eh... Playing in a final should be enough incentive. The opposition is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    There might be one change that's all imo. It might start that way

Sssshhhhh.

You're out of the Stonecutters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I'm surprised mdma is still not named as playing, I rate him very high. He does the simple things very easy and can run all day. So if it's dubs plan to run the hind legs off the Mayo midfield. He'd surely be the first name on the team sheet.

but a great option off the bench in a game I'd expect to be tight with fifteen minutes to go

and that's where they have a big edge, they have reserves we dont

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    I'm surprised mdma is still not named as playing, I rate him very high. He does the simple things very easy and can run all day. So if it's dubs plan to run the hind legs off the Mayo midfield. He'd surely be the first name on the team sheet.

Won't be a great surprise if he starts,outstanding footballer.It was mentioned on OTB last night that Gavin has made 11 half time substitutions during his reign and only 3 of said players have started the next championship game.Bastick was substituted at half time against Fermanagh...

I'd prefer from our POV if Fenton started as opposed to Bastick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

but a great option off the bench in a game I'd expect to be tight with fifteen minutes to go

and that's where they have a big edge, they have reserves we dont

Or bence is not as good but there not that far behind

Well the last time I saw these play the dubs fans took over the factory end and the dub players took over the pitch.
    It was the most impressive team display I've ever seen in Mchale park from a visiting team.
    I was pretty pished at Mayo not even turning up for that game..... Maybe management done it for a reason lol.

To say I'm excited about bateing them out the door tomorrow is an understatement. And heralding the era of Mayo dominance for years to come. Eventually overtaking Kerry's number of AI and marking Mayo as the team of the century.

Ok I'm stepping away from the keyboard. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

^ Steady now. We'd all like that but don't get carried away just yet! We could just as easily lose tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stuck 40 quid on a Mayo HT/Dublin FT earlier on. Hedge against another crushing disappointment innit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Longford Marathon is on tomorrow lads so the first roundabout to bypass the town will be closed for 10-15 mins to let runners pass. Probably be affected just after 10 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

kupus wrote: »

I would be on the other side of the fence if I was from Mayo. I'd rather him start, first off I don't really rate him as a footballer and would expect Mayo to target him in the middle and win that contest hands down.

Secondly what MDMA does have is energy, and bundles off it. He's not very graceful moving with the ball but he brings an incredible amount of directness and intensity. Mayo are a dynamic outfit themselves and his impact wouldn't be as strong from the start if you are just looking at that skill set.

He's be a massive asset coming off the bench for the Dubs because you know if it's tight and legs are starting to tire he can come on and give Dublin a massive impetus, and the crowd too.

The way I'd look at it, if he does start on th bench Dublin have done a sensible thing here. Starting with a more suited midfield and having a better option on the bench to mix it up if required.

Going to be some battle tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thats my view too, apart from not rating MDMA. He is the only option Dublin have that has come out on top of AOS and Maher on big days, more than once wrt Maher. Dublin want the impax tbman on the bench.

Loads of pressure on AOS, the script could read that SOS wins midfield for Mayo as he is imo Mayo's best natural midfielder who peaks when needed, doesn't fade and is imo the winner in that Mayo team. You mentioned 2012 don't forget MDMA played at 12 that day. Dublin moved him back too late in the game but everything changed when he went back in to midfield and he had the upper hand for the last ten minutes

At the end of the day AOS is an excellent player. Turns out he's great at no 14. We've seen him before in midfield and half forward he's not imo going to become some super addition to their already great halfback line, or the man to mark Brogan, he's not a fantastic player in every position.Hiram had him drifting around before too.
    He is as your own McHugh says a naturally attacking player almost played out of position in midfield, really a half forward with an instinct to attack not defend he couldn't be spared in midfield up to Parsons stepping up, but he's not an addition to every position imo.
    Too much talk of AOS now anyway the lad might meltdown. Dont want him to be the new McHale with everything on him, rest of the Mayo team is too good anyway.
    You might not rate MDMA but himself and ROC are vital to Dublin, they have a replacement or reshuffle for most other player including Brogan and Connelly.

For example Durcan is a lump of a man, not the best runner either but he's great in the Donegal set up where he's played to his strengths.

MDMA has great hands and an excellent near hand tackle recycle rate, one of his best attributes is turning over the ball out of the hands of players like AOS possibly mainly a basket ball skill be he was brought into the Dublin team to stitch up the middle for so lads like O'Sullivan and Dooher would hit an obstacle running through the middle, his defensive game is very good even though he does not filed many balls, but neither does his man when MDMA is on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Possession is nine tenths of the law, and I would prefer to see most of the kickouts tomorrow being short and possession retained with patient buildups. There won't be much sleep tonight ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thats my view too, apart from not rating MDMA. He is the only option Dublin have that has come out on top of AOS and Maher on big days, more than once wrt Maher. Dublin want the impax tbman on the bench.

Loads of pressure on AOS, the script could read that SOS wins midfield for Mayo as he is imo Mayo's best natural midfielder who peaks when needed, doesn't fade and is imo the winner in that Mayo team. You mentioned 2012 don't forget MDMA played at 12 that day. Dublin moved him back too late in the game but everything changed when he went back in to midfield and he had the upper hand for the last ten minutes

At the end of the day AOS is an excellent player. Turns out he's great at no 14. We've seen him before in midfield and half forward he's not imo going to become some super addition to their already great halfback line, or the man to mark Brogan, he's not a fantastic player in every position.Hiram had him drifting around before too.
    He is as your own McHugh says a naturally attacking player almost played out of position in midfield, really a half forward with an instinct to attack not defend he couldn't be spared in midfield up to Paesons stepping up, but he's not an addition to every position imo.
    Too much talk of AOS now anyway the lad might meltdown. Dont want him to be the new McHale with everything on him, rest Kentish team is too good anyway.
    You might not rate MDMA but himself and ROC are vital to Dublin, they have a replacement or reshuffle for most other player including Brogan and Connelly.

For example Durcan is a lump of a man, not the best runner either but he's great in the Donegal set up where he's played to his strengths.

MDMA has great hands and an excellent near hand tackle recycle rate, one of his best attributes is turning over the ball out of the hands of players like AOS possibly mainly a basket ball skill be he was brought into the Dublin team to stitch up the middle for so lads like O'Sullivan and Dooher would hit an obstacle running through the middle, his defensive game is very good even though he does not filed many balls, but neither does his man when MDMA is on form.

Totally unrelated but I've seen Durcan playing outfield for his club. Durcan was getting pelters from the opposition support, "Fat boy" "back in goals fat boy" all this type of thing.

A high ball goes in towards Papa and he claims it infront of the fullback. He drops a shimmy you wouldn't expect from such a big player, and slams a rasper of a shot to the back of the net.

He then proceeds to run straight over to the sideline infront of his tormentors with his arms spread out wide and shouts "Fat boy scores goals!!" I nearly wet myself with laughter. I genuinely think that's the first time I've seen him run more than 10 yards, including warm ups!

I agree that MDMA has been vital to Dublin over the past few years. I'm just not overly sold on him but that's a personal preference, there's no arguing with his contribution. I do think he can be got at though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Should be a cracker, got the new tan and all ready for the game! :D
    i have a sneaky feeling we could have a draw, I can't separate the 2 teams, maybe the team who get 2 goals will win it, but the 1st 10 minutes will be a flat out period.
    Going to be emotional tomorrow with the #13for13 and respect to the Dubs for asking their fans to take part.

yop wrote:
    i have a sneaky feeling we could have a draw, I can't separate the 2 teams, maybe the team who get 2 goals will win it,

I called it a draw too. It Mayo have had the easy run of the remaining three anyway!!!
    ;)

Good luck tomorrow lads , hoping for a good game with a clear winner with no suspension carried over and no so much hype for the winner.

If it goes up in the air for the Dubs tomorrow you might not see me here for a while :). But I'll be at the final hopefully supporting the Dubs but if not I'd be 100% behind Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Oh please win tomorrow Mayo. Make my dad the happiest man on earth. As a former Mayo senior football star of his era I've lived through his broken heart year after year with Mayo getting so far and losing it at the end. However I've not seen a Mayo team as good as this one. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Last day or two has felt like the build up to an actual final in terms of nerves.

I was half expecting to see Up For The Match on earlier!

Whatever way it goes later on, this group of players owe us absolutely nothing.

Mayo by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »
    Should be a cracker, got the new tan and all ready for the game! :D
    i have a sneaky feeling we could have a draw, I can't separate the 2 teams, maybe the team who get 2 goals will win it, but the 1st 10 minutes will be a flat out period.
    Going to be emotional tomorrow with the #13for13 and respect to the Dubs for asking their fans to take part.

Ah yop, me aul mucker. Up here in the big schmoke, we call that needing a wash.

Don't be letting the side down like. :D

You know what I'd love a draw at this stage, it'd give both teams a great workout in preparation for the cute hoors from down south. The kind of work out you don't get in training or challenge games.
    Mayo to shade it in the replay by two points.

Good luck tomorrow lads , hoping for a good game with a clear winner with no suspension carried over and no so much hype for the winner.

If it goes up in the air for the Dubs tomorrow you might not see me here for a while :). But I'll be at the final hopefully supporting the Dubs but if not I'd be 100% behind Mayo.

Best of luck to you guys Stoner,may the best team win, Mayo obviously!;) Wide awake here in the capital,can't sleep.My nerves are in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The Boards Dubs crew, as Fr. Ted would say "A great bunch of lads". Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Just a heads up APCOA are already taking reg numbers at SuperValu Maynooth, so park very carefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement