Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/croke-park-bailout-to-save-mayo-millions-31020519.html

Instead of using negative terms like bailout the author would be much better off focusing on the positives and the potential to help counties.

All debt should be centralised so all county boards would be able to avail of lower interest rates that the GAA would be able to access on their behalf instead of paying huge amounts of interest to the banks unnecessarily.

Obviously there would need to be a mechanism to prevent county boards running up debt unnecessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

howiya wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/croke-park-bailout-to-save-mayo-millions-31020519.html

Instead of using negative terms like bailout the author would be much better off focusing on the positives and the potential to help counties.

All debt should be centralised so all county boards would be able to avail of lower interest rates that the GAA would be able to access on their behalf instead of paying huge amounts of interest to the banks unnecessarily.

Obviously there would need to be a mechanism to prevent county boards running up debt unnecessarily

I think Colm O Rourke has been floating this idea for a while now and its a great plan.

All loan arrangements should be handled like this- that 200k can now go back to the grassroots which is a great outcome for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Brusna

Mayo Team v Monaghan

Hennelly, Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins, Keegan, Coen, Durcan, Vaughan, SOShea, McLoughlin, AOShea, D.OConnor, Ronaldson, COConnor, Doherty

Strong line up for an important game. We really need the 2 points here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brusna wrote: »
    Mayo Team v Monaghan

Hennelly, Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins, Keegan, Coen, Durcan, Vaughan, SOShea, McLoughlin, AOShea, D.OConnor, Ronaldson, COConnor, Doherty

Strong line up for an important game. We really need the 2 points here.

Yes decent mix of experience and experiment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Was listening on Mid west. Monaghan terribly indisciplined, effectively handed us the game. To be fair it seems like the team has gelled well over the last 3 weeks. Still had 10 wides but if what I heard was correct 14 of our 17 scores came from play. I'll take it anyway it comes as its 2 league points and a good chunk of points difference.
    AOS at 14 seems to have worked well, Doc did well again, as did Ronaldson. Derry will be a different prospect, a win there would certainly do our aims of retaining division 1 status no harm at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Good win - missed what the first red card was for, going to have to watch highlights later.

jeffred wrote: »
    Good win - missed what the first red card was for, going to have to watch highlights later.

You'll be doing well.

Games that are not originally televised, on TG4 or Setanta, rarely appear in the RTE or TG4 highlights shows

Stephen Gollogly lashed out at Jason Doherty after the ball had gone. He didn't do any damage but it looked bad and the linesman spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Brusna wrote: »
    Stephen Gollogly lashed out at Jason Doherty after the ball had gone. He didn't do any damage but it looked bad and the linesman spotted it.

Thanks the rte or gaa tickers didn't say why.

MWR mentioned it was an off the ball punch, gollogly punched Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

on now

km79 wrote: »
    on now
    Brilliant, I'm recording it.

Surprised y then are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Strange performance today. Played some good stuff but then made some crazy decisions especially in our shooting. 2nd game I thought Keegan was well below bar and I don't think Coen is good enough to be at 6 (yet). Delighted with the ovation Keane received. Has been outstanding in the league and looks like he has made FB his own now. Great to see the subs contributing with well taken goals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

So much indiscipline today from both sides but some real nastiness from Monaghan. I had thought the first red card was harsh at the game but looking at it on league sunday, you could see the intent was there. Lucky that Ronaldson wasn't hurt during the second red card offence and Monaghan's number 10 should also have been red carded as he clearly delivered a thump!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good to get the win, some decent performances from DOC and Durkan, Turbo was superb and AOS at FF caused them havoc.
    As said some of the decision making on scoring was poor, could have had another 2 goals, then dropped the ball into the keepers hands twice.
    Vaughan messing at the back and some slow passing cost us a few points.

Seems to be a regular thing now for refs to be the highlight of a match, across the board.
    How SOS was black carded is beyond me, AOS was dragged down yet no black card, an offence that Denis Bastick got blacked for for Dublin today.
    1st red I also missed, 2nd was shocking, I honestly think that lad needs an extended ban for what he did, the thumb of the hoarding showed the force he was thrown against it, could have caused him a serious injury.
    Monaghan could have had another couple of cards, midfielder having a hissy at the ref and bouncing the ball at him got no card and another drag down on AOS in the 1st half also should have got a card.
    As for the advantage and 10 yard "bring it forward" rule, confused me and everyone around me.

Some lovely scores taken and great to see Michael Forde get in for a game.
    Freeman once more didn't take his chances which Mickey goals did.

Off to Derry now next week, any idea what sort of time to travel from Castlebar?
    Is it hard to find up there?

How did Monaghan setup ?
    Were they 15 men behind the ball like Tyrone or s little less ?

How did Mayo "figure" it out this time compared to last.

The League Sunday show (which I have to say is a vast improvement on other years), seemed to suggest it was the positioning of AOS at full forward that was the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Didn't Freezer goal, so don't see how you can say not taking his cgances. I think he could be a great bench option. Bring him in seeking out a goal in the final twenty minutes. He hasn't been doin so well starting games. Good to see that AOS laid on scores as well.
    Would love to see Keegan tried at midfield.
    When Chris Barrett is fit think he will come back in at centre back. We need someone tigerish on breaking ball. He's also an experienced big game player who can distribute well.

How did Monaghan setup ?

The League Sunday show (which I have to say is a vast improvement on other years), seemed to suggest it was the positioning of AOS at full forward that was the difference.

Monaghan were nothing like Tyrone. They were playing good attacking football in the first half. Don't know why the indiscipline crept in, but after the sending off they lost their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Very happy with the intensity shown by Mayo yesterday, everything that was missing from the Tyrone match was back in spades. Good tackling high up the field, moving the ball quickly after kick-outs, winning all the dirty ball in the forwards. Defence was very tight, I don't think Monaghan had even one chance at goal. I would say Kevin Keane has the FB position nailed down for this year. Great to see there's plenty of competition for places in the squad and that's before the likes of Parsons, Moran and Dillon are back from injury.

I think some of Monaghan's lashing out was down to the fact that Mayo frustrated them so much, every ball was contested and they were given hardly any space at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

AOS should have the number 14 jersey. He is capable of causing big problems to any full back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

How the Monaghan number 10 didn't get red for that is beyond me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Decent win, but monaghan self-destructed in fairness. We shouldn't get too worked up by the win. Keane is going well, but the mayo-donegal game down the line will be the acid test.
    Personally, I don't think he should have the position nailed down as of yet. We should interchange depending on the job at hand, cafferkey is more than capable of winning that place back, and a better fit for certain opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Decent win, but monaghan self-destructed in fairness. We shouldn't get too worked up by the win. Keane is going well, but the mayo-donegal game down the line will be the acid test.
    Personally, I don't think he should have the position nailed down as of yet. We should interchange depending on the job at hand, cafferkey is more than capable of winning that place back, and a better fit for certain opponents.

In some ways it's a shame that Donaghy wasn't available for the match in Killarney, the result may have been different but it would have been good to see Keane up against a very physical, antagonising full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

How did Monaghan setup ?

In Ulster only Tyrone,Armagh,Donegal set themselves up with many men behind the ball. Down,Derry,Monaghan,fermanagh play a more open brand of football but leave themselves too open in defence. Mayo could easily have scored 5-20 yesterday however Monaghan did collapse after the first sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Improved performance by Mayo.Referee was particularly poor.He was whistle happy,inhibiting whatever inclination there was for a free flowing contest.His decision to black card Seamus O Shea was mind boggling,seemed to be a pay back for the initial Monaghan red card.He failed to black card a Monaghan player for a blatant pull down on Aidan O Shea in the second half.One good consultation with an umpire for a sending off.

Monaghan truly lost their discipline,they were well in the game until the initial sending off.Their number 10 was extremely impressive.

Disappointing re the 3 missed goal chances in the first half.Aidan O Shea had a super game in at full forward..possible road map for dealing with more defensively minded teams.Although at times the requisite quick delivery was lacking.Kevin Mc mixed the good with the bad.Lee Keegan has yet to reach full pelt this season.

Colm Boyle's introduction definitely made a difference in the second half.As mentioned previously although Alan Freeman bagged a goal he had two poor wides.

Great to see Kevin Keane performing well at full back.It would have been interesting to see him compete with a Donaghy like full forward.Ger Cafferkey will be chomping at the bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Decent win, but monaghan self-destructed in fairness. We shouldn't get too worked up by the win. Keane is going well, but the mayo-donegal game down the line will be the acid test. Personally, I don't think he should have the position nailed down as of yet. We should interchange depending on the job at hand, cafferkey is more than capable of winning that place back, and a better fit for certain opponents.

Without doubt Cafferky is capable of winning his place but it's Keane to lose now. Badly needed competition in a vital position now though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mayo.mick wrote: »

Is that video from yesterday or last year? Mislabelled I presume, Monaghan were Division 2 last year right?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is that video from yesterday or last year? Mislabelled I presume, Monaghan were Division 2 last year right?

Yeah, it's mislabeled. new Mayo Jersey, and Mark Ronaldson wearing one would give it away if it really needed forensic examination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

keane2097 wrote: »

I'd say its just a typo. Didn't spot it till you mentioned it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement