Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Any word on if the Mitchels lads will be back for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Any word on if the Mitchels lads will be back for Saturday?

Hoganstand have it that Feeney, Moran and Cunniffe trained at the weekend with Mayo

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=212736

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

statto25 wrote: »
    Hoganstand have it that Feeney, Moran and Cunniffe trained at the weekend with Mayo

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=212736
    That's great news statto25.
    I think this is a big game for Mayo psychologically,a win would be just what the doctor ordered to set down a marker for hopefully later in the summer.We owe Dublin one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

seligehgit wrote: »
    That's great news statto25.
    I think this is a big game for Mayo psychologically,a win would be just what the doctor ordered to set down a marker for hopefully later in the summer.We owe Dublin one.:)

Agreed. It would be huge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Can't make it up Saturday . I've 2 cairde tickets if anyone wants them. They'll be available for collection in Charlestown.
    Would love to be going and think at 7/4 we are a massive bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rawhead wrote: »
    Can't make it up Saturday . I've 2 cairde tickets if anyone wants them. They'll be available for collection in Charlestown.
    Would love to be going and think at 7/4 we are a massive bet.

PM sent :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

PM sent :)
    First up, best dressed.
    Just PM me your dad's name and they'll be in gallaghers garage on the knock road for collection from Friday evening.

Rawhead wrote: »
    First up, best dressed.
    Just PM me your dad's name and they'll be in gallaghers garage on the knock road for collection from Friday evening.

Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Big game for Mayo on Saturday

A win puts them in the semi's (All other teams that can finish on max of 8pts will have lost to Mayo), but a loss could have them fighting for relegation (if Kildare and Kerry win their last two and Mayo loose their last two, Mayo go down)

Dublin have lost two on the trot, and even though I don't think winning the league is a priority for them, I think they would like to reverse the slide , so they will be well up for it.

I'm not convinced it's will put down any marker for the summer however, overall league form is usually a good indicator of championship possibilities, but individual games not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I watched Dublin in their last two games they are showing signs of their 2012 form however they are down on plenty of championship starters and for all the good forwards they have its still bernard Brogan that makes them tick up front.

With the Castlebar lads back and others returned from injuries Horan could pick a near full strength team for this game TBH 15/8 odds on a Mayo win are very appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Teams Out:

MAYO (SF v Dublin): R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, B Harrison; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; A O'Shea, J Gibbons; K McLoughlin, K Higgins, J Doherty; A Moran, A Freeman, C O'Connor.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2703141126-mayo-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭glack

KMFCross wrote: »
    Teams Out:

MAYO (SF v Dublin): R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, B Harrison; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; A O'Shea, J Gibbons; K McLoughlin, K Higgins, J Doherty; A Moran, A Freeman, C O'Connor.

And the nonsense of playing one of the best corner backs in the country out of position continues.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

glack wrote: »
    And the nonsense of playing one of the best corner backs in the country out of position continues.....

His pace will be badly needed on the wings in order to counteract Cluxton's kick outs, remember we lost our shape last year when he was moved back. I'm not 100% sure of the move yet but the management team obviously see something lacking in the forwards so I think we should trust them, it's a big decision playing someone of his defending calibre in the forwards so there must be good reasoning behind it. Croker is a big open space so he should be well suited for it.

Otherwise I think our backs look solid and I will be disappointed if they can't keep the Dublin goal count down to one or two. This is will be a huge match for some of the newer members of the squad, there's good competition in there for places which is great to see after the doom and gloom of last year's post mortem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

glack wrote: »
    I'd prefer to be going with the known quantity of Higgins shutting down his corner and being the guy to setup the counter attack. He directs the play either left or right with quick changes of direction. It means our counter attack doesn't get slowed down in our own defence. Any team with a well directed fast counter attack will rack up serious scores under black card rules.

The worry I have about that half forward line. None of McGloughlin, Higgins or Doherty are good in the air catching or breaking ball to a player.
    Our middle 8 only has Keegan and two midfielders who have ability in the air. I still think the missing link is Adam Gallagher he'd have an aerial advantage over most wing backs.

Likely Andy Moran will have a roving role to leave Freeman and OConnor inside. This is Andy Morans best role now I think. May free him up from being involved in a 1 on 1 race for possession. 2 man full forward lines how to defend against them now is the thing? If you go with a sweeper the unmarked defender can now counter attack easier than before.

The subs list for this game will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

KMFCross wrote: »
    Teams Out:

Mayo really need to be winning this game with a line up as strong as that. Dublin have plenty of players to return and they won't be overly worried if beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Disappointed not to see Mickey Sweeney get the start in Croker for Saturday. Don't think that Mayo team will be beaten on Saturday though, strong team added to Dublin missing players. Any word on Chris Barrett anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Disappointed not to see Mickey Sweeney get the start in Croker for Saturday. Don't think that Mayo team will be beaten on Saturday though, strong team added to Dublin missing players. Any word on Chris Barrett anyone?

I thought Sweeney deserved a run out too. He should definitely see some time from the bench though.

Competition for the starting 15 is getting fierce now, which is great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Confident we will win to be honest. Very happy with the team and very interested to see will the forwards play as lined out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Will be a good test and experience for the upcoming championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Am I alone in thinking Higgins in the half forward line is a bigger net gain for Mayo than Higgins in the full back line?

Also interesting one here:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/first-black-card-rescinded/

Basically, Mark Griffin had his black card against Mayo rescinded because Alan Freeman wasn't dragged to ground, but rather "went to ground", i.e. dived.

Big statement, albeit I suspect inadvertently, by the CHC. The jersey pull part of the black card rule will have to be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

keane2097 wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking Higgins in the half forward line is a bigger net gain for Mayo than Higgins in the full back line?

Basically, Mark Griffin had his black card against Mayo rescinded because Alan Freeman wasn't dragged to ground, but rather "went to ground", i.e. dived.

Big statement, albeit I suspect inadvertently, by the CHC. The jersey pull part of the black card rule will have to be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.

You'd really have to question the intelligence levels of the administrators in GAA that make these rules. I hope to God they're not getting paid for this "work".

Higgins at half forward was all the rage last August and September, but enthusiasm seems to have diminished since then.
    Back then I thought he should have been started at the back for the final because it was too risky to leave the full backs without him against the much talked about Dublin attack.
    As it turned out he was doing a better job in the forwards during the final and his removal has been cited a one of the reasons for Mayo's loss.
    Right now I think he is needed in the forwards more than the backs.
    Mayo's weakest line is the half forwards, there are two spaces up for grabs there I think, as Dillion is no longer starter material IMO
    Having Higgins there would bring it down to one space, and maybe that can be filled by Doherty, if not then I think trying one of the surplus midfielders or Andy Moran there may be an option
    The health of Barrett has a lot to do with it. If Barrett can take up that corner role like he did in August then that takes the pressure off needing Higgins there, and I have no idea about Barrett’s state of health at the moment
    On the black card thing, I think the rule wording will be tweaked between the end of the league and start of the Championship, if that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

On the black card thing, I think the rule wording will be tweaked between the end of the league and start of the Championship, if that is possible.

I've no doubt it will - but my point is to even make a mistake like that in the first place shows the level of incompetence that there is at the top of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Higgins at half forward was all the rage last August and September, but enthusiasm seems to have diminished since then.
    Back then I thought he should have been started at the back for the final because it was too risky to leave the full backs without him against the much talked about Dublin attack.
    As it turned out he was doing a better job in the forwards during the final and his removal has been cited a one of the reasons for Mayo's loss.
    Right now I think he is needed in the forwards more than the backs.
    Mayo's weakest line is the half forwards, there are two spaces up for grabs there I think, as Dillion is no longer starter material IMO
    Having Higgins there would bring it down to one space, and maybe that can be filled by Doherty, if not then I think trying one of the surplus midfielders or Andy Moran there may be an option
    The health of Barrett has a lot to do with it. If Barrett can take up that corner role like he did in August then that takes the pressure off needing Higgins there, and I have no idea about Barrett’s state of health at the moment

Yeah nothing to disagree with here, good post.

Yeah nothing to disagree with here, good post.

It should also be noted that Horan is persisting with Higgins in the forwards, so I think he is there to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

It should also be noted that Horan is persisting with Higgins in the forwards, so I think he is there to stay

Not so sure about that, did a similar thing with AOS last year in the league playing him at no.11, then reverting him back to midfield in the championship, so its far from a certainty that Higgins will stay there for the championship. I wouldn't be surprised if he did though, as pointed out above Mayo's half forward is their weakest line and Higgins showed last year in the AI final what's he's capable of in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Can we ignore the fact thought that the Mayo forwards have been scoring very heavily in the league? So surely the Mayo half forward line have performed well? Full backline and midfield with their inconsistency have looked much weaker. Mixing the bad for ten minutes with the brilliant for ten minutes won't win the All Ireland.
    - Both Gallaghers have played well (Adam Gallagher was placed in corner versus Westmeath)
    - Kevin McGloughlin has played well
    - Jason Doherty has played well
    - Keith Higgins is still finding his feet is fair enough comment I think

The problem is simply conceding a lot of scores to the opposition full forward line. Sometimes it is a matter of just being simplistic about it and solving just one glaring problem.
    It's down to ability to deal with the 1 on 1's. Overall in the full backline options that is Cunniffe and Higgins who are best suited. Barrett will struggle with a taller forward. McHale struggles with fast smaller forwards. Harrisson is improving but he was taken for 3 quick points by Hurley. That is unheard of in Higgins/Cunniffe career. He hasn't been a dominating defender in any game so far.
    I don't see that Higgins would have enough of a gap in terms of impact on the scoreboard through winning possession/assists/scores at half forward versus the turnovers, blocks, tackling, counter attacking he can do at 4. The gap I see is that 2 or 3 times a game Higgins will make a tackle or block that not many other defenders would make. He can mark any type of forward even up to the power n size of OGara which he has done twice in championship. Higgins is surprisingly strong for his size. Means you can leave the three settled at Cunniffe/Cafferkey/Higgins. Rather than having to switch McHale in for bigger corner forwards.

The major problem with a full backline of Cunniffe/Cafferkey/Harrison is you don't have a player who the other defenders and goalkeeper can use to start the counter attack. Rewatch Mayo - Dublin 2012 and Higgins being the starting point for Mayo's counter attacks was a major reason for the victory combined with him also turning over ball that not too many no. 4.s would have turned over.
    Cunniffe is fast and runs direct but he telegraphs where play is going. Cafferkey is far too hesitant and often gets turned over or misplaces the pass. Cafferkey is good to win the ball back but he is aware of his limitations and seeks out a simple handpass option. Harrison is far too inexperienced to be able to direct operations in Croke Park in front of 82,000 people.
    Higgins in that same role will come out at pace towards the first tackler and use the bounce solo to switch left or right. Every opposition manager knows this and yet no one ever manages to stop him. He manages to never lose possession while doing this.
    To top it off he has the charging runs the odd time to midfield or beyond and now and then he will launch a long kickpass that is top drawer. 2012 Semi Final there is a 60 yard pass to Michael Conroy that surprised even Conroy so much he panicked from 21 yards and missed the point.
    Anyways those are some counter points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can we ignore the fact thought that the Mayo forwards have been scoring very heavily in the league? So surely the Mayo half forward line have performed well? Full backline and midfield with their inconsistency have looked much weaker. Mixing the bad for ten minutes with the brilliant for ten minutes won't win the All Ireland.
    - Both Gallaghers have played well (Adam Gallagher was placed in corner versus Westmeath)

The problem is simply conceding a lot of scores to the opposition full forward line. Sometimes it is a matter of just being simplistic about it and solving just one glaring problem.
    It's down to ability to deal with the 1 on 1's. Overall in the full backline options that is Cunniffe and Higgins who are best suited. Barrett will struggle with a taller forward. McHale struggles with fast smaller forwards. Harrisson is improving but he was taken for 3 quick points by Hurley. That is unheard of in Higgins/Cunniffe career. He hasn't been a dominating defender in any game so far.
    I don't see that Higgins would have enough of a gap in terms of impact on the scoreboard through winning possession/assists/scores at half forward versus the turnovers, blocks, tackling, counter attacking he can do at 4. The gap I see is that 2 or 3 times a game Higgins will make a tackle or block that not many other defenders would make. He can mark any type of forward even up to the power n size of OGara which he has done twice in championship. Higgins is surprisingly strong for his size. Means you can leave the three settled at Cunniffe/Cafferkey/Higgins. Rather than having to switch McHale in for bigger corner forwards.

The major problem with a full backline of Cunniffe/Cafferkey/Harrison is you don't have a player who the other defenders and goalkeeper can use to start the counter attack. Rewatch Mayo - Dublin 2012 and Higgins being the starting point for Mayo's counter attacks was a major reason for the victory combined with him also turning over ball that not too many no. 4.s would have turned over.
    Cunniffe is fast and runs direct but he telegraphs where play is going. Cafferkey is far too hesitant and often gets turned over or misplaces the pass. Cafferkey is good to win the ball back but he is aware of his limitations and seeks out a simple handpass option. Harrison is far too inexperienced to be able to direct operations in Croke Park in front of 82,000 people.
    Higgins in that same role will come out at pace towards the first tackler and use the bounce solo to switch left or right. Every opposition manager knows this and yet no one ever manages to stop him. He manages to never lose possession while doing this.
    To top it off he has the charging runs the odd time to midfield or beyond and now and then he will launch a long kickpass that is top drawer. 2012 Semi Final there is a 60 yard pass to Michael Conroy that surprised even Conroy so much he panicked from 21 yards and missed the point.

Excellent post Dave,can see both of the arguments and identify with our undoubted frailties in the half forward line but I definitely think we get more out of Keith Higgins at corner back.Looks like James Horan is seriously looking at persisting with Keith Higgins in the half forward line in the long term.

• Advertisement

Great post.
    But overall I think you have more options at the back with Barrett, fit obviously, McHale and Harrison than you have at half forward, thus Higgins is likely to stay at half forward.
    A man once suggested to me that you play him at center back in Lacey type roll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement