Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

**** :mad: But although it looks like we've things to work on both in defence and tactically, there is a lot of a good to the side atm. Forwards look potent enough this campaign and midfield options are terrific too. Gibbons has been find of the year so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Donal Vaughan 2 points from 5 shots. I dont think a centre back should be having 5 shots in a game. We're ridiculously open at the back. Its goin

Agreed. And they were easy shots. A lot to work on though still wouldn't fear Dublin. Barrett back should help us. Centre back is a worry. Vaughan lack of pace was shocking tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dreadful stuff in the second half. You could see as soon as the match restarted that Mayo's intensity was gone - they thought they were playing out time.

There's definitely a sense when watching this team play that they sometimes feel they're entitled to win games and forget that you actually have to go and do it.

What was going on in the full back line in the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ronan trying his best on Setanta to put a positive spin on it :pac:

Lets hope Mayo learn from this, meet Dublin again in the later stages of the league and beat them when it's knockout.
    Now that would give the team a boost going into the championship!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

yop wrote: »
    Agreed. And they were easy shots. A lot to work on though still wouldn't fear Dublin. Barrett back should help us. Centre back is a worry. Vaughan lack of pace was shocking tonight.

At the moment it seems we have backs that are playing as forwards and forwards playing as backs. The team is unbalanced. Maybe Vaughan is being played out of position but where else do you put him? Certainly not in midfield as Liam McHale was saying. Cafferkey had an OK game but made some silly errors as well. Come to think of it our kick passing tonight was woeful. This will be as bad as Dublin get for the entire year so plenty of work needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sickened to concede a goal so late.

Would have taken a draw at the start to be honest, still in with a real chance of the semi finals.

A win against Derry will confirm that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sickened to concede a goal so late.

Would have taken a draw at the start to be honest, still in with a real chance of the semi finals.

A win against Derry will confirm that?

I THINK so. But need to confirm that. We are ahead of Dublin on score diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    I THINK so. But need to confirm that. We are ahead of Dublin on score diff.

As I said earlier I hope the 2 late cork goals don't knock us out .....

km79 wrote: »
    As I said earlier I hope the 2 late cork goals don't knock us out .....

Yip ot cud happen. Though if Dublin beat Tyrone then we are both through.
    Shame to not qualify due to lack of concentration and down right fecking around.

At the moment it seems we have backs that are playing as forwards and forwards playing as backs. The team is unbalanced. Maybe Vaughan is being played out of position but where else do you put him? Certainly not in midfield as Liam McHale was saying. Cafferkey had an OK game but made some silly errors as well. Come to think of it our kick passing tonight was woeful. This will be as bad as Dublin get for the entire year so plenty of work needs to be done.

True, but Mayo will improve a hell of alot too. It is still only the league in fairness with most teams not psychologically and/or psychically at the level they are striving for. Stupid unforced errors when Mayo have had the game 'wrapped up' has been the biggest issue but you'd expect that will be remedied come championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Fowler87 wrote: »
    True, but Mayo will improve a hell of alot too. It is still only the league in fairness with most teams not psychologically and/or psychically at the level they are striving for. Stupid unforced errors when Mayo have had the game 'wrapped up' has been the biggest issue but you'd expect that will be remedied come championship.

Yes, and hopefully the daft black cards will be dealt with as well. Boyler was badly missed tonight, especially at the end and no more needs to be said about Feeney of course. What's really getting at me now is that Dublin had fielded a weaker team, were down to 14 men, were without Cluxton and still we only managed a draw. On the flip side however we are showing clear improvement in some areas, we are creating and taking more goal chances, McLoughlin is back in form and Gibbons has seriously stepped up to the plate. We're still in a good position to make the semis and Horan has clear aspects on which to improve. Derry are an unknown quantity for us so next week will be very interesting

Yes, and hopefully the daft black cards will be dealt with as well. Boyler was badly missed tonight, especially at the end and no more needs to be said about Feeney of course. What's really getting at me now is that Dublin had fielded a weaker team, were down to 14 men, were without Cluxton and still we only managed a draw. On the flip side however we are showing clear improvement in some areas, we are creating and taking more goal chances, McLoughlin is back in form and Gibbons has seriously stepped up to the plate. We're still in a good position to make the semis and Horan has clear aspects on which to improve. Derry are an unknown quantity for us so next week will be very interesting
    It's disappointing yes but go back to after Tyrone game we thought relegation was en route.
    Plenty of positives but still loads to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

Just back from the game...was gutted but on the bright side a decent result...dominated midfield...just very wasteful...what happened for third goal was unforgivable...hopefully they'll have learned their lesson.

It was clear in the second half Mayo were out on their feet, they just weren't fit enough to put the game to bed, no one was making that breaking run from the half back line.

I think Higgins is really missed breaking forward from the back, the black card has turned it into a real running game, but I think overall they're in good shape to make the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fowler87 wrote: »

But the problems that crop up league game after league game often carry forward to the championship.
    In this case its Mayo's tendency to leak big scores that worry me.

I did not see the game but listened to most of it on Midwest, they kept mentioning that the wife's would come back to haunt them and sure enough they did.

I suppose if you offered me today a point away to Dublin I would have taken it.

Good home win v Derry and that's the semifinal place sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If we lose to Derry could we possibly qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

Unlikely, but if we lose to Derry in Castlebar...we should prob be worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I did not see the game but listened to most of it on Midwest, they kept mentioning that the wife's would come back to haunt them and sure enough they did.

Ye'll have to get rid of those wife's alright if ye are going to win the All-Ireland.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If we lose to Derry could we possibly qualify?

I think we are level with Dublin on points, head to head, and scoring average.

So we would need the following.
    1. Kerry to loose one of its last 2 games.
    2. Dublin to loose their final game by more than Mayo loose to Derry.

That would get us in on 7 pts with a better scoring average than Dublin.
    But if you are at that crack you don't belong in the semifinals

I think we are level with Dublin on points, head to head, and scoring average.

So we would need the following.
    1. Kerry to loose one of its last 2 games.
    2. Dublin to loose their final game by more than Mayo loose to Derry.

That would get us in on 7 pts with a better scoring average than Dublin.
    But if you are at that crack you don't belong in the semifinals
    We can't lose to Derry end of. If we can't beat derry then it's time to get off the pot. We need a league final place. We need a league final win. Winning is a habit. Today was shocking disappointing but we need to learn. Our back 7 have a lot of mistakes to cut out.
    Some piss poor scores conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just watched the highlights. Seemed to be a very exiting game, compared to the drivel on show at the rugby game across the city. Outstanding scores all round. Dublin's goals were spectacular.
    B.T.W. any idea of tonights attendance.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭mobby

washman3 wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights. Seemed to be a very exiting game, compared to the drivel on show at the rugby game across the city. Outstanding scores all round. Dublin's goals were spectacular.
    B.T.W. any idea of tonights attendance.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I simply cant understand why Keith Higgins is not playing Centre back. Vaughan looks good going forward but he has not got the pace for the modern game at #6. Keith Higgins is one of the best players over the last 5 or 6 years annd not playing him as a half back is beggers belief.

The forwards are excellent and Mayo have about 9 or 10 decent forwards who could play anyday so Higgins needs to be at #6. He is an excellent tackler and with black cards this will be crucial where as Vaughan will get caught for pace.

I still think there is an All-ireland in this squad but the tactics need to change. Half time came to soon for Mayo another 5 minutes and ye could have been in a much better position.

Tonight we also saw what happens when you sit back and try and keep ball (as Dublin have often done) One slip and you get punished. Mayo played way to narrow for last 10 minutes meaning one stray pass and you could be punished. Dublin won the ball and when it went wide their players had lots of space.

One thing that annoyed me tonight was on 2 possibly 3 occassions Mayo players were screaming for Dublin players to be carded (Iv seen Dublin players do it also) This is a horrible thing to have in our games and it should be stamped out.

LeoB wrote: »
    I simply cant understand why Keith Higgins is not playing Centre back. Vaughan looks good going forward but he has not got the pace for the modern game at #6. Keith Higgins is one of the best players over the last 5 or 6 years annd not playing him as a half back is beggers belief.

The forwards are excellent and Mayo have about 9 or 10 decent forwards who could play anyday so Higgins needs to be at #6. He is an excellent tackler and with black cards this will be crucial where as Vaughan will get caught for pace.

I still think there is an All-ireland in this squad but the tactics need to change. Half time came to soon for Mayo another 5 minutes and ye could have been in a much better position.

Tonight we also saw what happens when you sit back and try and keep ball (as Dublin have often done) One slip and you get punished. Mayo played way to narrow for last 10 minutes meaning one stray pass and you could be punished. Dublin won the ball and when it went wide their players had lots of space.

One thing that annoyed me tonight was on 2 possibly 3 occassions Mayo players were screaming for Dublin players to be carded (Iv seen Dublin players do it also) This is a horrible thing to have in our games and it should be stamped out.
    While I agree it shouldn't happen, Reilly should have black carded the Dublin lad for a pull down, then he black carded Boyle for a trip in a non goal scoring situation, AOS was hauled down on a challenge where a free wasn't given, yet AOS got the black carded for the same against Kildare. He was poor and thats been generous, I can understand their frustration.

But the problems that crop up league game after league game often carry forward to the championship.
    In this case its Mayo's tendency to leak big scores that worry me.

I suppose if you offered me today a point away to Dublin I would have taken it.

Good home win v Derry and that's the semifinal place sorted.

To an extent I suppose they do but at least we have some time to try and implement something before championship rolls around. Whether thats easing off the gung ho defence-attack approach I don't know... We do tend to rely too much on our half back forays due to not having a stellar half forward line unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

the big long lad is a disaster for ye at centre backmnot even a relation of a footballer,def should try higgins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Found the game tonight a thoroughly disappointing affair from a Mayo vantage point,I know I'm going against the majority here but I think it is looking ominous for the championship.

Our failure to close out the game with a 6 point lead and extra man is a big setback.The standard of handpassing was awful and numerous Dublin scores came from silly turnovers of possession.

The continual pumping of rather aimless high balls never gave Alan Freeman a real chance in the first half,felt sorry for him when he was finally pulled ashore.Dublin were better able to take scores from much more direct build up play.Our shot selection was woeful,we need to resurrect some additional scoring forwards quickly.If ever a day cried out for Richie Feeney to make an appearance it was tonight.Was Adam Gallagher amongst the substitutes tonight?

The referee was quite poor and failed to award numerous stone wall free kicks to Mayo as well as at least one black card.

Aidan O Shea won plenty of primary possession but continues to take too much out of the ball and slow the momentum of the attack.

In spite of fact that Kevin McLaughlin won MOTM he continues to turnover possession very cheaply when under pressure.

I'm really not too sure what real benefit we're gaining from Keith Higgins repositioning..

The positives...Tom Cunniffe had a stormer,I was amazed Jason Gibbons did'nt get MOTM..he was outstanding again.Cillian O' Connor is showing all the signs that he can develop even more so as a top class forward.

The zonal marking seemed to work quite well in reducing the efficacy of the Cluxton kick out as an out ball.

The Dubs are likely to be extremely difficult to dislodge,might be no harm to have another crack at them in a league final/semi final.I can't for the life of me understand how Kevin McManaman is'nt in their championship 15,superb again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hopefully some simple changes are made or worked on after tonight.
    - End the Keith Higgins experiment. On a night tailor made to run riot he didn't. Had a gimme point playing on a side with a numerical advantage. It might be Donal Vaughan who is dropped. Possibly Cunniffe at 6 might be better. Leave Higgins at 4.
    - AOS use of posession. He needs to give earlier and stop taking it into traffic so much.
    - The ball into Freemam needs to be worked on. Did not work out tonight.
    - Bring in Adam Gallagher at half forward. Varley at this stage does not have a game he can point to to justify him featuring.
    Positives from tonight:
    - Cillian looks strong physically and is going well from play.
    - McGloughlin looks to be in great form
    - Gibbons consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Twice in the last 2 games we lost midfield when AOS was substituted. MDMA got a stranglehold only when Auden went off. I know he was injured but we do need to get 70 out of him.

We need to work on closing out games . Kieth should move back to the corner and have a sweeper to stop the down the centre route from Dublin.

We do forget that even before Cluxton was sent off we were on top. I do think we (again) didn't handle the 14 man setup well. I said it earlier that the dubs seem to be bett r than anyone from handling 14 men.
    I do think we could have still got a result even with 15 men.
    We have now gone up against 3 of top 4 teams in Ireland, beat cork, drew with Dublin and lost to Tyrone. Maybe I'm looking at this naively but before the cork game I thought we were in.a position to lose our season as u couldn't see us get a result. While last night was incredibly frustrating we have Derry at home to get a semi final place. After that I don't think we will fear anyone left.

Problems to fix but we are still in it so plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

Very disappointed with last night. had a great chance to lay down a marker and we did not. Dublin could have won with last attack. We have a long way to go to get the SAM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement