Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, did a similar thing with AOS last year in the league playing him at no.11, then reverting him back to midfield in the championship, so its far from a certainty that Higgins will stay there for the championship. I wouldn't be surprised if he did though, as pointed out above Mayo's half forward is their weakest line and Higgins showed last year in the AI final what's he's capable of in that position.

But AOS was not the success that Higgins has been at that position.
    Plus last year I reckoned AOS may have been there at center forward to give Gibbons more game time to prove himself, seeing as he is from Ballintubber and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

But AOS was not the success that Higgins has been at that position.
    Plus last year I reckoned AOS may have been there at center forward to give Gibbons more game time to prove himself, seeing as he is from Ballintubber and all :)

Anyone think AOS might not squeeze into Horan's midfield this year given his form in the league? A possible midfield two of Gibbons and SOS for the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Anyone think AOS might not squeeze into Horan's midfield this year given his form in the league? A possible midfield two of Gibbons and SOS for the championship?
    I think it will continue with SOS replacing AOS around 55 mins each game. It would be marginal about dropping AOS to the bench n then it would turn into a big media story. A brave move would be Lee Keegan at midfield. He could be a two points a game minimum every game from that position. Seen him in a club game there few years ago and it was pretty natural to him. It could be especially strong if tried for the last 15 mins of a game. He would cut through at will when defences tire and him not having as direct a marking role to worry anout. Switch in Drake for Gibbons. People like Liam McHale talk about Vaughan at midfield but I don't think he is accurate enough. Bit of a waste if both midfielders aren't a scoring threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Where has Seamus O'Shea been this year so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think it will continue with SOS replacing AOS around 55 mins each game. It would be marginal about dropping AOS to the bench n then it would turn into a big media story. A brave move would be Lee Keegan at midfield. He could be a two points a game minimum every game from that position. Seen him in a club game there few years ago and it was pretty natural to him. It could be especially strong if tried for the last 15 mins of a game. He would cut through at will when defences tire and him not having as direct a marking role to worry anout. Switch in Drake for Gibbons. People like Liam McHale talk about Vaughan at midfield but I don't think he is accurate enough. Bit of a waste if both midfielders aren't a scoring threat.

He is giving that sort of return from half back anyway! I'd leave Keegan where he is tbh.

SOS has to try and dislodge Gibbons now - who has been impressive this campaign. If Parsons hadn't gotten injured in Newbridge then Gibbons wouldn't have had the run that he has gotten, so credit to him for taking his chance.

It will also be interesting to see where Barry Moran fits in as well. There is great strength and depth in the squad now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Where has Seamus O'Shea been this year so far?

He was injured. Came on as a sub against Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

If SOS is to replace anyone, on form it will be his brother. Gibbons has been the better performer at midfield this year for Mayo. Can't see Barry Moran near a starting 15 place. I heard suggestions that he should be tried out at full forward( P. Spillane), which is ludicrous given Alan Freeman's form there the last 12 months.

If SOS is to replace anyone, on form it will be his brother. Gibbons has been the better performer at midfield this year for Mayo. Can't see Barry Moran near a starting 15 place. I heard suggestions that he should be tried out at full forward( P. Spillane), which is ludicrous given Alan Freeman's form there the last 12 months.
    Yes agree with that. Think I even heard that suggestion re Barry Moran at full forward from within the county which is annoying.
    If Gibbons goals again before end of the league that will be significant. That would be a definite new goal threat.

Yes agree with that. Think I even heard that suggestion re Barry Moran at full forward from within the county which is annoying.
    If Gibbons goals again before end of the league that will be significant. That would be a definite new goal threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin team announced......
    Stephen Cluxton,Jonny Cooper,Rory O' Carroll,Darren Daly,James McCarthy,Tomas Brady,Kevin Nolan,Michael Darragh McAuley,Cian O' Sullivan,Paul Flynn,Alan Brogan,Diarmuid Connolly,Kevin McManamon,Eoghan O' Gara,Paddy Andrews.

Still short quite a few of the All Ireland winning team but a very decent line up.Dublin really have an embarrassment of riches at the present time.Expecting a very close game tonight,hopefully we'll edge it.
    Agreed Aidan O' Shea's form has sporadic at best in the league,Gibbons has outshone him.But I'd be shocked if his place was in any danger for the championship,I won't be surprised if he starts alongside Seamus come championship.Although the idea of replacing a tiring Aidan with his brother in the last quarter with Gibbons partnering him is a viable alternative.It's really hard to see where Barry Moran can be accomodated?For a big lad he does'nt physically impose himself enough on his direct opponents and his lack of mobility would tell against him in terms of partnering Aidan O' Shea.Alan Freeman has to be a lock down for the full forward position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ColeTrain wrote: »
    He is giving that sort of return from half back anyway! I'd leave Keegan where he is tbh.

SOS has to try and dislodge Gibbons now - who has been impressive this campaign. If Parsons hadn't gotten injured in Newbridge then Gibbons wouldn't have had the run that he has gotten, so credit to him for taking his chance.

It will also be interesting to see where Barry Moran fits in as well. There is great strength and depth in the squad now.

SOS is turning out to be the Donnacha Walsh of Mayo.
    Gets f##ked to the scrap heap when the next big thing comes along, but invariably outshines all of them when he comes off the bench or actually starts.

SOS is turning out to be the Donnacha Walsh of Mayo.
    Gets f##ked to the scrap heap when the next big thing comes along, but invariably outshines all of them when he comes off the bench or actually starts.
    He's only back from an ankle injury is the thing. Plus Gibbons has played well. If AOS form doesn't lift a bit then actually the roles might get reversed with AOS replacing SOS in last 15 minutes. SOS wasn't so great off the bench the last day but was in his other sub appearances. SOS is brilliant back around his own 45 he breaks up alot of opposition attacks either forcing a bad shot/pass or winning the ball back. It was him got to MDMA with him ten yards from goal in the final last year. Lets not go over that other bad substitution call that was an awful call taking him off, most agreed on that.
    Interesting to see who Mayo full backline mark. I'd have Cafferkey stick on OGara and Cunniffe go with McManamon. Think Cunniffe will limit McManamon best stopping his runs. McHale might see some time on OGara. Should Mayo worry about using a black card offence to prevent goals? Suprised no one brought it up yet. We can tog Barrett McHale Higgins losing our entire full backline to black cards. That is still a top quality full backline. It means we shouldn't have too much worries about playing to the edge to keep the goal count to one or zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Plus don't think Bird Bird looked anything like a FF when played there for Mitchels. Should be tried though in a match to see if it could be a viable plan if needed for a few mins in a match but don't see it as anywhere near being the optimal plan going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Had to laugh at the analysis by McConville and co in the second captains podcast this week. Basically totally dismissed Freeman even though he is still head and shoulders, our best option at 14

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the analysis by McConville and co in the second captains podcast this week. Basically totally dismissed Freeman even though he is still head and shoulders, our best option at 14
    Knowledge of Freemans value on the pitch and how on form he is, it's nearly an acid test of whether truly watching the games. He's bulked up alot since early days. It's his only position, he used to struggle at half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Knowledge of Freemans value on the pitch and how on form he is, it's nearly an acid test of whether truly watching the games. He's bulked up alot since early days. It's his only position, he used to struggle at half forward.

Will likely need other options alright in the full forward line but Freeman is top class. Will take hell of alot of improvement from (their choice) Barry Moran, if Horan tinkers with that forward option, to rob Freeman of his 14 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Is the match on tv today?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

On Setanta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Link anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

• Advertisement

Bit disappointed in the sending off, wanted a proper rematch.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Playing well though frustrating misses. Reilly isn't great. Can't see how Dublin didn't get black card as he was straight through. Boyle was daft with that trip. Need few quick points now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Awful 2nd half. So many poor performances. Poor decision making. Awful reffing.

goodness have to eat my previous post, we have got an aful lot of work to do for the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sickened. Should have won that game. Between the wides and Doc's disallowed goal we should have had enough to spare. Dublin opened up our backs at the end. Barrett can't come back quick enough. Higgins was playing sweeper at the end so maybe it's time he was just sent back permanently. The back line has regressed since last year. Were it not for Cluxton's replacement making some absolute howlers we would have found ourselves behind. Still, we're secure in Division 1 now and best we learn these lessons at this stage in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 48,181 ✭✭✭✭km79

Could still make semis but those late scores from cork could prove crucial for svori g difference.
    I backed the draw at 10\1 so not fully depressed!

A win against derry will get us a semi. Some pot decisions. Docs was off the ground. Vaughan had a poor game. Keeper made some great saves. Midfield did well though tired. Has convoy disappearance. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Also, same story again as last year, not taking advantage of the extra man. The more I think about this game the more disgusted I am. The winding down the clock at the end was a joke

Donal Vaughan 2 points from 5 shots. I dont think a centre back should be having 5 shots in a game. We're ridiculously open at the back. Its goin

• Advertisement

Also, same story again as last year, not taking advantage of the extra man. The more I think about this game the more disgusted I am. The winding down the clock at the end was a joke
    We did this in a connaught final years ago. Same thing happened. Horan should eat them for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement