Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Syferus wrote: »
    Lads, stop feeding the bridge dweller, ye are better than that.

Ah yeh I get it...anyone who speaks the truth, who doesn't say Horan is great or the team was great today is a troll...keep thinking that and see where it gets you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

So depressing, was sure it was going to be our year. Well done to the minors tho and to the seniors.

Dont think the team need much, maybe one more forward. Wonder can the likes of liam irwin step up or is next year too soon? Was surprised that we didn't stick with the long ball tactic, I thought freeman was doing ok whenever it came in. Higgins is some operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I really think it is neither the time or the place to be engaging in so called post mortems/constructive criticism.The lads and management gave it their all today.Nobody is more disappointed than they are.They make huge sacrifices and are all AMATEURS.There will be ample time over the winter to reflect over today's events without adding to their all too raw wounds.
    Let's celebrate the minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

realweirdo wrote: »
    Are you serious? We were a joke today. Our forwards couldn't hit a barn door and weren't fit to lace the boots of the forwards of the '51 team. I'm getting sick of the "we're great, we were unlucky" and all that nonsense.

Let's be honest, we had a few good players today but most players didn't show up. And the management had a terrible day today. It's time for them to go. All I see with this management is Maughan 2.0. Great at getting to finals, tactically naive when there. For genuine Mayo fans, simply reaching finals no longer cuts it. Winning finals is what counts, not reaching them.

Shocked at people calling for an end to Horans era.
    yeah things didnt go well today for numerous reasons...prob time for a shake up n the forwards etc but it was a point that we lost by. People would do well to remember that team of 51 had played and lost two ai finals before they won two.
    Hats of to Mayo players and staff.....great effort so far. Lets keep it up.

Id say as well fair play to Dublin and their fans. A great bunch of lads in all honesty.

kippy wrote: »
    Shocked at people calling for an end to Horans era.
    yeah things didnt go well today for numerous reasons...prob time for a shake up n the forwards etc but it was a point that we lost by. People would do well to remember that team of 51 had played and lost two ai finals before they won two.
    Hats of to Mayo players and staff.....great effort so far. Lets keep it up.

Id say as well fair play to Dublin and their fans. A great bunch of lads in all honesty.

Why are you shocked? We looked clueless today, especially in the forwards. There was no plan B. Players must take some blame but manager must also take some blame. We could have easily beaten Dublin if we hadn't been so clueless. Like I said, management need to take their share and man up about it.

The 51 team only lost one final btw in 1948 and only after the ref blew up 5 minutes early when Mayo had momentum on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ok, you've made a number of bizarre posts now which calls into question your credibility, including saying McLoughlin was fantastic.

London reached the Connacht final this year for the first time ever. What does that tell you about the standard? Mayo wiped the floor with them by the way.

Galway, Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon were appalling in Connacht this year.

And no there have been many good Connacht Championships in recent times. But this years was one of the worst in living memory.

Find me the post where I said McLoughlin was fantastic? And don't talk to me about credibility I've been posting on the Mayo forum for a long time buddy & will be long after you've left.

Simply fact is, you've nothing good to say about a team that for the last three years has given us far more good days than bad.

Sure we lost today & didn't play well, but I won't belittle the teams achievements by saying everyone they played was useless except for Dublin.

Losing a final doesn't make you a bad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

So depressing, was sure it was going to be our year. Well done to the minors tho and to the seniors.

Dont think the team need much, maybe one more forward. Wonder can the likes of liam irwin step up or is next year too soon? Was surprised that we didn't stick with the long ball tactic, I thought freeman was doing ok whenever it came in. Higgins is some operator.

The only difference between the teams was a top class forward , we didn't have enough fit ones. The loss of Freeman was major

Barlett wrote: »
    Find me the post where I said McLoughlin was fantastic? And don't talk to me about credibility I've been posting on the Mayo forum for a long time buddy & will be long after you've left.

Simply fact is, you've nothing good to say about a team that for the last three years has given us far more good days than bad.

Sure we lost today & didn't play well, but I won't belittle the teams achievements by saying everyone they played was useless except for Dublin.

Losing a final doesn't make you a bad team.

I think we have different ideas of success to be honest.
    For you success is reaching finals. For me success is winning finals and everything else is failure. I tend to set the bar higher than most people and like to win things, either personally or for teams I support. I suppose I'd be a bit like Roy Keane and the like that way. Success is winning, everything else is losing. It's a mentality that has never really taken hold in Mayo, like it has in Tyrone, Kerry and elsewhere. Mayo people are just happy to reach finals and have a good day out.

So far I see James Horan has failed to win Sam. You on the other hand see him as a success in that he has brought us to finals, even if he keeps losing them.

I guess we will have to disagree on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For you success is reaching finals. For me success is winning finals and everything else is failure. I tend to set the bar higher than most people and like to win things, either personally or for teams I support. I suppose I'd be a bit like Roy Keane and the like that way. Success is winning, everything else is losing. It's a mentality that has never really taken hold in Mayo, like it has in Tyrone, Kerry and elsewhere. Mayo people are just happy to reach finals and have a good day out.

So far I see James Horan has failed to win Sam. You on the other hand see him as a success in that he has brought us to finals, even if he keeps losing them.

So what you are saying is that you would make a s***e manger too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The RTE panel made the point of the need for a talismatic forward again and again. But it's very true. From Fitzgearld to Fallon, Giles, Joyce, McConville, Cavanagh, Cooper, Canavan, O'Neill and Brogan, every team bar Cork in 2010 has had a talisman. It is something Mayo lack and while they are a superb side, they really haven't the leader yet to drag them to victory.

There are two such players from a certain Roscommon town who could provide that role for Mayo. Sadly one seems to be deprived of his chance through injury while the other is in OZ. Perhaps when/if the latter named makes his return they can finally get over the final hurdle

• Advertisement

So what you are saying is that you would make a s***e manger too

Not even in the least funny I'm afraid to say. Don't give up the day job.

I'd be referring more to Keane's standards and will to win. In fairness he was a great player, better than you or I will ever be. Managerial he wasn't great, but neither were his players. There's only so much you can do with championship players.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The RTE panel made the point of the need for a talismatic forward again and again. But it's very true. From Fitzgearld to Fallon, Giles, Joyce, McConville, Cavanagh, Cooper, Canavan, O'Neill and Brogan, every team bar Cork in 2010 has had a talisman. It is something Mayo lack and while they are a superb side, they really haven't the leader yet to drag them to victory.

There are two such players from a certain Roscommon town who could provide that role for Mayo. Sadly one seems to be deprived of his chance through injury while the other is in OZ. Perhaps when/if the latter named makes his return they can finally get over the final hurdle

I think Mayo would be better off bringing in some of this years minors next year who don't have any baggage like some of the seniors. The future of Gaelic footbal as shown by Dublin is pace, pace and more pace. We need to improve the bench as well. It's a 20 man game these days.

Apologies for all the cliches, but a lot of them are true. We just had no Plan B today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Ah what more can be said? too many mistake throughout the game by the players and managment to ever win that game and in fairness Dublin were the best side really should have won by more. I think Mayo peaked v Donegal same as they did in 2004 v Tyrone or 2006 v Dublin and the dubs didn't have hype/excitement surrounding them like Mayo had.

Just heard on the radio tonight from Andy Moran that the players had their first drink since the trip to Miami, these guys have given huge commitment to cause and will be back again. Next stop the FBD Mayo4Sam 2014?

Big congrats to the minors a fine team with great players coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

For all the lack of a 'talismanic' forward Mayo had been racking up impressive scores. I think the Mayo team that lined out today are good enough to have won the All-Ireland this year had they performed on the day. Unfortunately too many of Mayo's key men didn't turn up today.

O'Connor kicked the frees but was no real threat in open play, Freeman was taken off early, Conroy huffed and puffed with no real end product and Dillon was very disappointing. Not the first time he hasn't done it in a final. But those players have shown before that they're capable of much better so it's preplexing that they were so poor today, and all the more galling since Dublin didn't play anywhere near their best either for much of the game and were there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

seligehgit wrote: »
    I really think it is neither the time or the place to be engaging in so called post mortems/constructive criticism.The lads and management gave it their all today.Nobody is more disappointed than they are.They make huge sacrifices and are all AMATEURS.There will be ample time over the winter to reflect over today's events without adding to their all too raw wounds.
    Let's celebrate the minors.

If the Mayo GAA Forum on boards.ie is not the place for supporters to engage in post mortems/constructive criticism.. where is??
    The Pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I was drawn to your renegade rebel argument until you mentioned the greatest cliché of all time..... "My team lost, I hate losing, Roy Keane is impossible argue against 'coz he is tough and clever and walked out on Ireland and he's Irish and he hates Prawn sambos and played for united.. so I must be like him.."

Don't compare yourself to Roy Keane because you demand Mayo to win an All-Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

It's not knee jerk crap

I suggest that your entire tirade here tonight is exactly that - kneejerk reaction.

We lost by ONE point.

If the team was the utter disaster you say it was, then Dublin must have been pure Sh~te to only scrape a win against this band of wasters.

Would you be on here berating their mistakes if they had scraped a win in the last minute? One kick of the ball, a deflected goal? I suggest you would be happily celebrating your counties all Ireland win with the rest of us.

No question these were the best 2 teams in Ireland this year, and ONE kick over the bar separated them after 70 minutes.

Who do you think you are demanding perfection from a team of 15, plus the management who worked hard as they did all year?

And to say we need to stop the "sure its a great day out" attitude, were you in Drumcondra before the match? The atmosphere was not jovial, there was not much craic, it was edgy and tense.

In my opinion realweirdo, you are talking out of your arse here tonight.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Right going to give this a go

Fair play to the boys. Since sept last year their eyes all fixated on Sam and this was the year in their eyes I believe.

What a year. From demolishing the old enemy to annihilating Donegal. Constantly believed this was the year. Shed a tear in the canal after the match, for the first time in croker. A young man cried in front of me and said to his father in a moment of brief recovery "will it ever happen dad"?

While it's easy to agree, call me a fool but I believe at all times and I BELIEVE mayo can do it next year. The time to show our support is now. When the team is felling down we pick them up. Jimmy may not hang around (:() but believe me the team will be busting their holes come about November with one thing in mind

I'd go into what went wrong but it surely has been done to death (avoided all soc media incredibly)

Now is when they need our belief. We've made two finals in two Years. This was not meant to happen. This was the year. I'm still hoping il wake up. But look I believe in the lads and once they believe in themselves and don't bloody let this get to them they'll become AI champs. As Andy said just look at Murray! A lesson to all. Mayo for Sam 14. Believe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Gonna throw my two cents in .
    I really believe Mayo are victims of the dire quality of football in Connacht at the moment. They gain very little momentum in by hammering the likes of London and Roscommon. Yes they had a great win against Donegal but apart from that they never really clicked. I just felt the players were never near Dublin in terms of sharpness and fitness even. They only come with playing quality opposition regularly.

On the otherhand Dublin should have won by more but for a few great saves and missed chances. Dublins bench made a huge impact and the likes of Bastic, O'Gara and McMenamon are all used to coming into situations where the game is in the balance. Leinster is far more competitive than Connacht and i think its one of the reasons Dublin have been so good of late.

My final thought is that unless the standard of Connacht football gets better Mayo wont win Sam for a very long time

But anyway il be there from the first fbd game to every league to champ game in 2014. These guys deserve our support. Will they bounce back?

As Keith said "we've no choice"!

Believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Mayo will still be an excellent team next year but I can't see the drive and momentum being recreated. I'll be quite happy if I'm proven wrong however.

Mayo will still be an excellent team next year but I can't see the drive and momentum being recreated. I'll be quite happy if I'm proven wrong however.

I'm in the same boat but I'm going to believe anyway. I (vaguely) Know how much it means to the lads. They either feel sorry for themselves or improve. They improved each year do far
    , they can go one one better (even without James if needs be)

I find it nicer to believe in them rather than to lose hope already but look I've done foolish things before

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Gerry91 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat but I'm going to believe anyway. I (vaguely) Know how much it means to the lads. They either feel sorry for themselves or improve. They improved each year do far
    , they can go one one better (even without James if needs be)

I find it nicer to believe in them rather than to lose hope already but look I've done foolish things before

Mayo will struggle to win an All Ireland with the same 15. You need new players every year , Donegal tried to do it with the same 19 players used as last year and look where it got them. I guarantee Dublin will have a few new lads in next year to freshen things up

Get out with those rational reasons why we won't win one ;)

Look im a depressed and highly upset mayo man at least let me cling on to a bit of hope

Jaypers it must be a better option than giving up altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Hope is a terrible thing.

I do think there is a chance they'll be back next year but they'll really have their work cut out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

As a Dublin fan I just want to say genuine commiserations. The game today really could've gone either way and unfortunately for you the Boys in Blue just about came out victorious. That doesn't deny the fact that you've a fantastic team and there's zero doubt in my mind that you'll win in All Ireland in the next couple of years No county and it's people deserve it more. On a final note I just want to say your fans are without a doubt the best in the country. Colour, noise, loyalty with grace in defeat. A credit. Your time will come. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

W123-80's wrote: »
    If the Mayo GAA Forum on boards.ie is not the place for supporters to engage in post mortems/constructive criticism.. where is??
    The Pub?

Just feel it appears to be open season to cut loose on a team and management who gave it their all and are more devastated than anybody else.How many people on this forum would do any better? Easy to be an expert from the comfort of an armchair, hindsight is a great thing.
    Lest we forget Dublin have been the outstanding team all year, were favorites today.Everybody had the same concerns that we might be short on forward power.
    I'm as sad as anybody but I'm not about to engage in a ritual slaughter of a bunch of lads who left nothing at the well and gave us so much joy this year.Now more than ever they need our support and goodwill.Plenty of time for inquests over the winter,let's give the county as a collective a bit of time to grieve.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't say a lot I'm afraid, old failings again perhaps. Great support on the day, very proud of our minors and our seniors. My 12th losing AI final with Mayo and my heads in a spin.

Got spat at down from the premiums level as we left and shouted dogs abuse at, one lad only, stewards stood up looking at him.
    On way home then in Drummcondra we had the bus hammered with cans and smashed a window, to be followed up by the same lad pis((ing on the side of our bus. Young kids and elderly people on our bus, brought a sad sad end to our day.

Get our heads together and come back again. It has to happen for us some day.
    Well done the minors, you did us proud.

I suggest that your entire tirade here tonight is exactly that - kneejerk reaction.

We lost by ONE point.

If the team was the utter disaster you say it was, then Dublin must have been pure Sh~te to only scrape a win against this band of wasters.

Would you be on here berating their mistakes if they had scraped a win in the last minute? One kick of the ball, a deflected goal? I suggest you would be happily celebrating your counties all Ireland win with the rest of us.

No question these were the best 2 teams in Ireland this year, and ONE kick over the bar separated them after 70 minutes.

Who do you think you are demanding perfection from a team of 15, plus the management who worked hard as they did all year?

And to say we need to stop the "sure its a great day out" attitude, were you in Drumcondra before the match? The atmosphere was not jovial, there was not much craic, it was edgy and tense.

In my opinion realweirdo, you are talking out of your arse here tonight.:)

I analyzed the game as clinically as I could on a forum like this as opposed to others who just said things like ah well we were unlucky. If I thought you were intelligent enough I would go through the entire game and analyze it for you but you don't want that do you.

Our defense was immense. Our forwards were awful. Our management and several players made a number of very poor decisions, including players in the final few minutes. Our AI final temperament was sadly lacking once more and a number of players didn't show up once more.

Now stop spouting sh*te about knee kerk reactions. I have analysed the game in a cool headed manner, there is nothing knee jerk about it. Like a lot of Mayo fans I'm sick of watching AI finals where management and players make a balls of it. They have no-one to blame but themselves, not the ref, not hawkeye, not the hype, not anything but themselves. It's time for them to man up about it, not hide behind excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I analyzed the game as clinically as I could on a forum like this as opposed to others who just said things like ah well we were unlucky. If I thought you were intelligent enough I would go through the entire game and analyze it for you but you don't want that do you.

Our defense was immense. Our forwards were awful. Our management and several players made a number of very poor decisions, including players in the final few minutes. Our AI final temperament was sadly lacking once more and a number of players didn't show up once more.

Now stop spouting sh*te about knee kerk reactions. I have analysed the game in a cool headed manner, there is nothing knee jerk about it. Like a lot of Mayo fans I'm sick of watching AI finals where management and players make a balls of it. They have no-one to blame but themselves, not the ref, not hawkeye, not the hype, not anything but themselves. It's time for them to man up about it, not hide behind excuses.

Nah, every post on the GAA forum you have made has been negative towards Mayo. Your not a fan. Your just trying to rile people, so best you go chat about something you know about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement