Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Barlett

Amprodude wrote: »
    I hate saying it but this Mayo team are finished. New approach needed. They wont be around to contest All Ireland next year. This was their year and they didnt deliver. How many chances do they need?
    Clueless post

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

realweirdo wrote: »
    Do you agree Horan was tactically naive today as he was in last years final?
    Do you agree we looked like rabits in headlights again for large parts of the game?
    Do you agree we choked again?

It's just not good enough. He's had 3 years and while he's good at getting us to finals as was Maughan, once there, he's frankly hopeless and will be next year.

Good manager but not good enough. Let's give Kevin McStay a chance I say and lets have no more of this naive tactical nonsense in AI finals or people enjoying the day out and the craic in the pub.

Mayo has very very good players, . remember they lost by 1 point not 10.

Would the outcome have been the same if say a confident mgr have been in charge.

1. I've said this for 2 years and get shot, I'm saying it again. Some people think horan is a really cool mgr and never panics, I just see a man that's lacking confidence and seems to be second guessing himself mostly in finals when pressure is really on..

Barlett wrote: »
    Clueless post

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Mayo has very very good players, . remember they lost by 1 point not 10.

Would the outcome have been the same if say a confident mgr have been in charge.

1. I've said this for 2 years and get shot, I'm saying it again. Some people think horan is a really cool mgr and never panics, I just see a man that's lacking confidence and seems to be second guessing himself mostly in finals when pressure is really on..

A good manager, confident or not, is priceless to a team. We've all seen teams with average players beat a team with good players mainly because of the strengths of the managers.

Tactical naivity has been the killer of Mayo teams in several finals, not all, but a number of them. Not able to kill games off when having good leads, not knowing what switches to make, when to time substitutions, putting the wrong man on an opponent and so on.

I don't like picking on players but it was obvious from about the 10th minute that Dillon hadn't the bottle for the fight. If I was manager I would have brought him off. It was obvious that McLoughlin had bottled it and was making one bad decision after another. It was obvious after Freeman went off we needed a target man/plan B if plan A didn't work. Horan said the players made basic mistakes. Surely after 3 years and a month to prepare they shouldn't be making basic mistakes. Some of the players were completely clueless. Whether its Horan did things wrong or else he just couldn't get his message across to the players, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is one way or the other he's brought this group of players as far as he can. You can't keep playing the likes of Dillon in AI finals and expect things to change. That's mistake number one. I don't want to personalise it but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. That's all I have to say on it in any case.

I just hope the Mayo County Board make a big decision in upcoming weeks and months. Either stick with more of the same or else make a big decision and ask Horan to go and bring in Kevin McStay or someone like that who has vastly superior tactical knowhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

0007e58c-960.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Clueless post

What im trying to say is its hard for any team to reach a third consective final unless its s very good team like old Kerry teams of the past. Mayo arent this and will do well to come out of Connacht next year.

What im trying to say is its hard for any team to reach a third consective final unless its s very good team like old Kerry teams of the past. Mayo arent this and will do well to come out of Connacht next year.

They'll come out of Connacht handy enough, there's no competition there. They will win their AI quarter final and probably a semi-final..in fact they'll probably beat Dublin in the semi final keeping up their record of beating the previous years AI winners. In the final they will meet someone like Kerry or Cork and will bottle it again.

There's a certain pattern to Mayo football if you follow them long enough!

Maybe the coaching staff, 85% of the team works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

They'll come out of Connacht handy enough, there's no competition there. They will win their AI quarter final and probably a semi-final..in fact they'll probably beat Dublin in the semi final keeping up their record of beating the previous years AI winners. In the final they will meet someone like Kerry or Cork and will bottle it again.

There's a certain pattern to Mayo football if you follow them long enough!
    na it was connaught leinster in 2012, ulster in 2013 so muster next year...
    everyone going route 1 its dublin in the final... always losing the final v always beating the previous winner, something will give :pac:

Syferus wrote: »
    If he scores 1-02 from play in an AI final looking 'tired and weighty' I'm afraid for backs if he ever bothers to get on a thread-mill :rolleyes:

Looking at today, ud want 2-3 to be all ire champs.

1-2 isn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Looking at today, ud want 2-3 to be all ire champs.

1-2 isn't good enough.

Sure if we're pulling numbers out of our arses why not make it something historic like 4-07?

Syferus wrote: »
    Sure if we're pulling numbers out of our arses why not make it something historic like 4-07?

Lol. 2-3? Out of an arse? Were u watching the derby or something, that's what brogan scored.

Anyway. How Dublin won all there kickouts, astonishing.

Good to see the new jerk brigade are out in full force. The most successful Mayo setup since the 50s & people want to tear it up. Can I just remind ye all that Mayo were losing to Sligo & Longford in 2010 and were dismissed as any kind of serious team. Look where Horan has brought us. Stop talking rubbish & give the man the respect he deserves

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was very impressed with how Horan handled McGuinness this year. I think he's a very good manager.
    But with the club championship manager hanging around it might be worth a look.

Good to see the new jerk brigade are out in full force. The most successful Mayo setup since the 50s & people want to tear it up. Can I just remind ye all that Mayo were losing to Sligo & Longford in 2010 and were dismissed as any kind of serious team. Look where Horan has brought us. Stop talking rubbish & give the man the respect he deserves

Are you serious? We were a joke today. Our forwards couldn't hit a barn door and weren't fit to lace the boots of the forwards of the '51 team. I'm getting sick of the "we're great, we were unlucky" and all that nonsense.

Let's be honest, we had a few good players today but most players didn't show up. And the management had a terrible day today. It's time for them to go. All I see with this management is Maughan 2.0. Great at getting to finals, tactically naive when there. For genuine Mayo fans, simply reaching finals no longer cuts it. Winning finals is what counts, not reaching them.

Stoner wrote: »
    I was very impressed with how Horan handled McGuinness this year. I think he's a very good manager.
    But with the club championship manager hanging around it might be worth a look.

You also have to agree Donegal played to a level which was no more than 30% of last years effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Why wasn't Kevin McLoughlin hooked? Unfortunately he was nowhere near his 2011 form, particularly in recent games. Richie Feeney was in reserve.
    I've heard a good few giving out about McLoughlin. Thought he was fantastic myself BUT only in the first half where he plummeted badly like most of the half forwards once Higgins was moved back. Feeney not being on sooner has been a mainstay all year unfortunately. Whatever happened between JH and himself in the indiscipline row they had an impact has had its repercussions for both him and the county team which isnt right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It was a great chance. It really was just two games to win an all ireland. The others were walkovers (mostly)

Are you serious? We were a joke today. Our forwards couldn't hit a barn door and weren't fit to lace the boots of the forwards of the '51. I'm getting sick of the "we're great, we were unlucky" and all that nonsense.

Let's be honest, we had a few good players today but most players didn't show up. And the management had a terrible day today.

A joke? Cop on , the way you're talking you'd swear we had a long line of glorious all Ireland winning teams . This is the most successful Mayo team we've had since 51. We'd all love a win but slating management & players for losing an All Ireland final after all the sacrifices they have made is quite frankly disgusting.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I've heard a good few giving out about McLoughlin. Thought he was fantastic myself BUT only in the first half where he plummeted badly like most of the half forwards once Higgins was moved back. Feeney not being on sooner has been a mainstay all year unfortunately. Whatever happened between JH and himself in the indiscipline row they had an impact has had its repercussions for both him and the county team which isnt right

No, he was sh*te...let's be honest here. Missed two point scoring chances early in the game and it went downhill from there. I'd give him 1/10. Harsh but honest. He should have been taken off early.

• Advertisement

A joke? Cop on , the way you're talking you'd swear we had a long line of glorious all Ireland winning teams . This is the most successful Mayo team we've had since 51. We'd all love a win but slating management & players for losing an All Ireland final after all the sacrifices they have made is quite frankly disgusting.

We played no-one of real note until the final. Donegal were as someone said at about 30% of last year. Tyrone lost 3 big players early in the game and are a shadow of their former selves.

Our one big game was in the final and we blew it.

Beating division 4 teams and teams who played like they were in division 4 is hardly a marker of success.

When you loose a final the natural response is to see why. .

Most of the posts on here are concerning a few players not all. .

And some like myself question tactics aka mgt. .

This only natural. . . how else do we move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sometimes I think after a game its better not to post. I think some are being harsh on Horan and some of the players. They left nothing behind this year or last year. Players on both sides seemed to Freeze a little. When this happens there is very little a manager can do.

On the comments a page or two back re Andy Moran. Firstly its great for G.A.A. people to see him back but not only Andy quite a few players seemed to be out on their feet before half time such was the intensity of the game. Was suprised Ritchie Feehily didnt come on or Barry Moran or another target man was not tried a little earlier when Dublin crowded the miiddle of the pitch. Not sure Vaughan will remain at No.6. Mayo need a stopper there. With men like Higgins, Keegan, Barrett and Boyle there are good options to re structure the defence a little. Up front if Andy Moran get get a touch sharper and O'Connor can stay injury free there are few teams will want to play Mayo. They are a class side so keep the faith.

I like many other Dublin supporters have wore the R/UP Tshirt on many occassions but its nights like these you need to say lets start preparing for next year. This Mayo side will bring a Sam accross the shannon and no Dub would begrude it.

When you loose a final the natural response is to see why. .

Most of the posts on here are concerning a few players not all. .

And some like myself question tactics aka mgt. .

This only natural. . . how else do we move forward.

I don't mind that, its people coming posting nonsense like I'd give Kevin McLoughlin 1/10 this kinda kneejerk crap

I don't mind that, its people coming posting nonsense like I'd give Kevin McLoughlin 1/10 this kinda kneejerk crap

It's not knee jerk crap...he was useless, even he would admit that...Missed two points, consistantly over carried and ran into tackles, gave away several sloppy passes, kicked to men who were marked. He was simply terrible. I would be his biggest fan mostly, but today he was terrible, sorry for being so honest about it.

We played no-one of real note until the final. Donegal were as someone said at about 30% of last year. Tyrone lost 3 big players early in the game and are a shadow of their former selves.

Our one big game was in the final and we blew it.

Beating division 4 teams and teams who played like they were in division 4 is hardly a marker of success.

Absolute rubbish, there have been crap Connaught championships for years & years yet I don't recall Mayo winning three in a row in the last 50 years . You're basically saying the only reason we win is because everyone else is useless . Any team that reaches two finals in a row is a good team. Anyway no point greeting defeat in a final with the kind of hysteria you are sprouting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Why did ur man not go for a goal at then end?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

No, he was sh*te...let's be honest here. Missed two point scoring chances early in the game and it went downhill from there. I'd give him 1/10. Harsh but honest. He should have been taken off early.

No he wasnt ****e throughout but his performance dropped drastically which is a worry but he was the main reason McCaffrey was taken off. Yeah he probably should have been taken off along with couple others. But they're only formalities now unfortunately.

Absolute rubbish, there have been crap Connaught championships for years & years yet I don't recall Mayo winning three in a row in the last 50 years . You're basically saying the only reason we win is because everyone else is useless . Any team that reaches two finals in a row is a good team. Anyway no point greeting defeat in a final with the kind of hysteria you are sprouting

Ok, you've made a number of bizarre posts now which calls into question your credibility, including saying McLoughlin was fantastic.

London reached the Connacht final this year for the first time ever. What does that tell you about the standard? Mayo wiped the floor with them by the way.

Galway, Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon were appalling in Connacht this year.

And no there have been many good Connacht Championships in recent times. But this years was one of the worst in living memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Lads, stop feeding the bridge dweller, ye are better than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement