Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

lukesmom wrote: »
    Woohoo minor cup won. Sam on the way Maigheo abu!

Perhaps you might want to edit the bolded part:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Having lost that final, I can't see us winning for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ye did win the minor, so the day wasn't a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Gutted but regardless of that we have decided to buy the season pass for the whole family from now on. We had such fun going to some matches, our kids are older and this was a great way to do something together that everyone enjoyed.

When mayo finally do win it will be all the sweeter and it will be an honour to play a small part in watching it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Gutted for the players, they could not have given it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Absolutely gutted mayo didn't get Sam but well done Dublin you deserved that win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The way Tyrone came through the Kerry,Roscommon games (should have lost both) you would nearly say their name is on the cup but i think this is the best Mayo minor side i have seen in a number of years and their free scoring forwards should secure a comfortable win.

Turned out as i expected. Lads i know you will be disappointed with the seniors but it not everyday you win a minor All Ireland so get out on Monday evening and welcome home these young All Ireland winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hard luck lads I'm gutted for ye.

The futures bright minors winning was a good sign for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Tactically, that was a shambles. We all knew before the game that Dublin would try and bypass midfield by taking the kick-outs short. What exactly did James Horan and his coaches work on for the last month? Did Mayo win even one ball from the Dublin kick-outs? No team stands a chance against wave upon wave of clean ball to kick start the Dublin attacks. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Tactically, that was a shambles. We all knew before the game that Dublin would try and bypass midfield by taking the kick-outs short. What exactly did James Horan and his coaches work on for the last month? Did Mayo win even one ball from the Dublin kick-outs? No team stands a chance against wave upon wave of clean ball to kick start the Dublin attacks. :(

Fully agree. One of a number of basic tactical errors. Another was not replacing Freeman with a like for like target man, or at least Barry Moran. I just don't think Horan is cut out for really big games like this, a bit like one or two previous managers, clueless in AI finals where it really matters. I'd like to see Kevin McStay given a chance at the job. We have the players and young ones coming up but we are tactically naive on AI final days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

realweirdo wrote: »
    Fully agree. One of a number of basic tactical errors. Another was not replacing Freeman with a like for like target man, or at least Barry Moran. I just don't think Horan is cut out for really big games like this, a bit like one or two previous managers, clueless in AI finals where it really matters. I'd like to see Kevin McStay given a chance at the job. We have the players and young ones coming up but we are tactically naive on AI final days.

Ah FFS, when did you crawl out from the wood-work?

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah FFS, when did you crawl out from the wood-work?

I've been going to Mayo games for 30 years...how long have you been going?

Most Mayo fans don't even post on here but are no less entitled to express a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What's another year.....

Those guys owe us nothing and can hold their heads high.

Beaten by a better team and worthy champions, congratulations Dublin.

So we look forward to 2014 and what that may bring, quarter final should be obtained with minimum fuss (due an easier provincial draw), nobody to fear in the AI quarters stage which brings on a semi final against Munster winners....kerry a year older or Cork in transition?

Factor in 100% fit Dillon, Andy and Cillian and I see no reason why we can't be back again in 12 months and do what we do best.....dethrone the reigning champions!!

Heads up people!!!

Mayo Abu!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just keep believing lads. We had another good year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Excellent post, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What's another year.....

So we look forward to 2014 and what that may bring, quarter final should be obtained with minimum fuss (due an easier provincial draw), nobody to fear in the AI quarters stage which brings on a semi final against Munster winners....kerry a year older or Cork in transition?

Factor in 100% fit Dillon, Andy and Cillian and I see no reason why we can't be back again in 12 months and do what we do best.....dethrone the reigning champions!!

Heads up people!!!

Mayo Abu!!

I hate saying it but this Mayo team are finished. New approach needed. They wont be around to contest All Ireland next year. This was their year and they didnt deliver. How many chances do they need?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What's another year.....

Heads up people!!!

Mayo Abu!!
    Great stuff. It wasn't a great game, but bar the Mayo backs being so good everything else turned on its head.

I full expect this mayo team to win All Ireland titles.

Great talking to you guys during the year, even Yop.
    Hopefully everyone takes the league seriously again and we'll be back to business soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Having lost that final, I can't see us winning for several years.
    It seems that we're destined not to win the thing. That's the best Mayo side we've had for donkey's years and still we choke at the last step. Very, VERY disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

That one really really fúckin hurt. Sweet jaysus it'll never happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That pattern is telling me that Mayo will be back in the year 2020.

• Advertisement

I've been going to Mayo games for 30 years...how long have you been going?

Most Mayo fans don't even post on here but are no less entitled to express a view.

It has very little to do with when your mother birthed you and plenty to do with the idiocy of calling for James Horan's head.

What's another year.....

Heads up people!!!

Mayo Abu!!

Mayo will likely be waiting quite some time to see as perfect a storm of form, momentum and the life-cycle of a management team again.

Make no mistake, this was the best chance since '96 and hence one of two genuine opportunities to win an AI since 1951.

Very few teams make the AI final after two losing appearances. Cork '89 is the only semi-recent one that springs to mind and it's pretty clear achieving that feat is even harder given the professional level of commitment required to be an AI contender.

Mayo won't fall off the face of the map but they would be fools to be looking beyond the Connacht championship next year. A loss in Connacht and the Horan project will be at its end. Every year brings new teams, just as 2011 brought us Horan's Mayo. No one stays at the top consistently.

Syferus wrote: »
    It has very little to do with when your mother birthed you and plenty to do with the idiocy of calling for James Horan's head.

There is absolutely no idiocy about it to be honest. He's tactically hopeless when the chips are down as was Maughan. I like the guy, he's done a lot for Mayo, but everyone reaches their level and I don't see an All-Ireland in Horan.

Sometimes you have to face the truth and stop dressing things up. Tactically things were shocking today. And there are some players on that side who are not AI final material and never will be.

This is exactly why Mayo lose these finals, too many people unwilling to face facts, call a spade a spade, point out the negatives and so on.

That's my view anyways, I won't harp on about it. Others have a different view and think Horan should stay and I respect that. Personally I just think he's naive on AI final days. It would be the same next year if Mayo got that far. A waste of time for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

1, while aos was playing in midfield, what the hell did mgt instruct him to do. He was clearly under orders and didn't get to play his game at all.

2, Robbie henn and SOS what a game. .

3, after 20 mins when aos had no ball I said bring on Barry Moran, they did at 58mins but took off the best player sos,.

4. I agree above, Mayo had the team to when today, hell it was a 1 point loss. But tactically horan screwed up and was almost afraid to make a change.

5. Forwards didn't do to good, a lot of wides. Dillion, I still don't see what the hype is all about, Andy Moran looked tired and weighty.

1, while aos was playing in midfield, what the hell did mgt instruct him to do. He was clearly under orders and didn't get to play his game at all.

2, Robbie henn and SOS what a game. .

3, after 20 mins when aos had no ball I said bring on Barry Moran, they did at 58mins but took off the best player sos,.

4. I agree above, Mayo had the team to when today, hell it was a 1 point loss. But tactically horan screwed up and was almost afraid to make a change.

5. Forwards didn't do to good, a lot of wides. Dillion, I still don't see what the hype is all about, Andy Moran looked tired and weighty.

If he scores 1-02 from play in an AI final looking 'tired and weighty' I'm afraid for backs if he ever bothers to get on a thread-mill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Rte are a disgrace at analyising a game, do they not have any stats at all? Uck sake..

How many dropped shorts had Mayo today?

Hell kick it wide, but don't drop it short. . . . 1 point lads, just 1. .

Someone explain why freeman was taken off which seemed to be like 20 mins in. . . how could horan make that decision yet leave as on the pitch for 74 mins ?

Still think aos was given a particular job and didn't work or look like working all day, . . b Moran by the way didn't make any impact for his 14 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Why wasn't Kevin McLoughlin hooked? Unfortunately he was nowhere near his 2011 form, particularly in recent games. Richie Feeney was in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I deliberately avoided posting in this thread for the last 4 weeks and paid little attention to it.
    To come back and see people calling for horan's head and saying this team are finished... Jesus wept.

The current squad have an average age of 26 if I'm not mistaken.
    No care to mention how Dublin's squad had more depth? Or how they stopped mayo playing by consistently fouling them? (at one stage the foul count was 21-8)

Fair enough the minors are getting the credit they deserve on here. It's been great following them this year and I'm absolutely delighted for them. They were worthy champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The Antrim hurlers have a bad record in Croke Park too, losing lots of semi finals. Mayo's day will come. That minor team look the real deal, the seniors lack a top class forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Sometimes you have to face the truth and stop dressing things up. Tactically things were shocking today. And there are some players on that side who are not AI final material and never will be.

This is exactly why Mayo lose these finals, too many people unwilling to face facts, call a spade a spade, point out the negatives and so on.
    i didnt think there was too much wrong with mayos tactics, just a lack of forward firepower, o'connor wasnt right, anytime i seen he held his arm they way you would if it was in a sling. they amount of scores left behind was the losing of that game. if mayo can find unearth one more top forward....

and as Seans_Username said, the team is only 26, is anyone going to retire of that panel next year?

good run through to a potential final again too, did someone say connaught muster, cork now counihan is gone maybe but kerry dont have the conveyor.
    id put the biggest danger being whoever comes out of ulster in the QF, donegal on one last hurrah, ever improving monaghan, tyrone and meath are on the up too

• Advertisement

I deliberately avoided posting in this thread for the last 4 weeks and paid little attention to it.
    To come back and see people calling for horan's head and saying this team are finished... Jesus wept.

The current squad have an average age of 26 if I'm not mistaken.
    No care to mention how Dublin's squad had more depth? Or how they stopped mayo playing by consistently fouling them? (at one stage the foul count was 21-8)

Fair enough the minors are getting the credit they deserve on here. It's been great following them this year and I'm absolutely delighted for them. They were worthy champions.

Do you agree Horan was tactically naive today as he was in last years final?
    Do you agree we looked like rabits in headlights again for large parts of the game?
    Do you agree we choked again?

It's just not good enough. He's had 3 years and while he's good at getting us to finals as was Maughan, once there, he's frankly hopeless and will be next year.

Good manager but not good enough. Let's give Kevin McStay a chance I say and lets have no more of this naive tactical nonsense in AI finals or people enjoying the day out and the craic in the pub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement