Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Here read this ...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000047.htm

Might help Ye when you choke again this Sunday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Here read this ...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000047.htm

Might help Ye when you choke again this Sunday.

Was much needed in 2006 and 2012 when Dublin choked..... 7 points up... choked on a bessoffs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Lets hope the minors do the biz too on Sunday!

Going on the semis they may aswell hand them the trophy, but minor is a funny aul game and it all depends on the day.

I'll try get in for most second half, need a few looseners to settle the nerves early on so I'll do my best :D! Support could well push them over line last ten minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Lets hope the minors do the biz too on Sunday!

Going on the semis they may aswell hand them the trophy, but minor is a funny aul game and it all depends on the day.

I'll try get in for most second half, need a few looseners to settle the nerves early on so I'll do my best :D! Support could well push them over line last ten minutes!

Going on the games against Roscommon.

Mayo 3-7 Roscommon 1-10
    Tyrone 1-12 Roscommon 0-13

Will be little between them however i still fully expect Mayo to win their first Minor AI since the mid 80s on Sunday.

Going on the games against Roscommon.

Mayo 3-7 Roscommon 1-10
    Tyrone 1-12 Roscommon 0-13

Will be little between them however i still fully expect Mayo to win their first Minor AI since the mid 80s on Sunday.

Meh you could say stuff like Mayo will never hammer their neighbours in a Connacht Final at Minor level anyway

From what I saw in the semis (watched both games closely) Mayo were light years ahead of Tyrone. Rossies left it behind them I think and had they made the final would be 50:50 for me

We'll see sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Meh you could say stuff like Mayo will never hammer their neighbours in a Connacht Final at Minor level anyway

From what I saw in the semis (watched both games closely) Mayo were light years ahead of Tyrone. Rossies left it behind them I think and had they made the final would be 50:50 for me

We'll see sure..

Agree, I'm still unsure how Tyrone won that game. I feel more confident in us beating Tyrone than I would had Roscommon come through.

Tickets sorted this evening, happy days! I'll stick my neck on the line and go for Mayo by 6 in the big one. I think most of Dublin's damage will come from McCaffrey and McCarthy. In my opinion Dublin don't have the far superior forwards that they would need to halt this Mayo juggernaut. A lot will depend on Freeman's performance at the edge of the square, a good display from him will set Mayo on course for victory.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agree, I'm still unsure how Tyrone won that game. I feel more confident in us beating Tyrone than I would had Roscommon come through.

Tickets sorted this evening, happy days! I'll stick my neck on the line and go for Mayo by 6 in the big one. I think most of Dublin's damage will come from McCaffrey and McCarthy. In my opinion Dublin don't have the far superior forwards that they would need to halt this Mayo juggernaut. A lot will depend on Freeman's performance at the edge of the square, a good display from him will set Mayo on course for victory.
    I don't think Mccarthy has done any damage since Wexford a good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I have to pinch myself.... Did Colm O Rourke just tip Mayo to win on Morning Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kalyke wrote: »
    I have to pinch myself.... Did Colm O Rourke just tip Mayo to win on Morning Ireland?
    He did.

He also patronised the shi1te out of the supporters:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kalyke wrote: »

Did you know that he is the same Colm O' Rourke who replied with an emphatic 'Galway' when Michael Lyster asked him who would win just before throw in on Mayo 19th ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I genuinely think that any commentator calling it is doing so on the basis that Mayo has not crossed the line. If Mayo had won that game last year the pundits would all be tipping Mayo. A lot of them are wheeling out the "mayo has no forwards" line. It's tired and has been proven wrong.
    I really don't think anyone can definitively call it either way, I really think it will be that close. The first 10/15 minutes will be crucial for Mayo and if we can settle and get a few points then it's game on, I'd be happy being within 2 points either way at half time. I think Micky Conroy is going to have a huge one for us and with the bench we have we can drive on to the finish line.
    Needless to say if we start anything like last year or against Tyrone there is no way we can get back against the Dubs. On a final note, lady luck has to settle on our shoulders this year, no team wins without her help.
    Final prediction: Mayo by 2 points.

P.S. enjoyed reading all the posts this year.

(disclaimer; I am aware that it is ironic that i predicted victory for Mayo when I said no one can. I am a Mayo man however and the prediction is with the heart:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Whens the Dublin team going to be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Whens the Dublin team going to be named?

Our team has been named after training on Friday every game this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Our team has been named after training on Friday every game this year.

Aw right sound! Thanks fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I am a Galway man but I would like to wish Mayo every success on Sunday.
    I really hope and expect you to win and win well.
    I also think you will do the 2-in-a-row but first things first of course...

I'd like to think that this will be my last post before the game but no doubt I'll react to something between now and Sunday morning when I hit the road for Dublin

Anyway, I think Mayo will win, I think I will be sitting in the stand on Sunday midway through the second half saying to myself 'What was I so worried about this game for'

I have had great faith in this team since Horan took over and especially since their 9 pt beating by Kerry in 2011, that told me that this team and bucket loads to offer.

And never in the last 24 years of Mayo in All Ireland finals have I seen them come to the final with such momentum

I'm going to repost this great piece from The Mayo News that sums it up nicely

Carpe diem folks, Carpe diem.
    TRYING IT OUT FOR SIZE Henry Gaughan (10 months) is pictured standing in the Sam Maguire Cup during
    a promotional visit to Belmullet last week. Pic: Conor McKeown

Time to seize the day

Edwin McGreal

Ten-month-old Henry Gaughan from Belmullet (pictured looking at home in Sam Maguire) wasn’t even born when Mayo lost last year’s All-Ireland final to Donegal. He has no truck with 1989, or ‘96 and ‘97, ‘04 or ‘06 either.
    None of that matters to him or this current generation of Mayo children.
    Victory on Sunday for the county’s footballers would mean kids like Henry grow up with a very different outlook, not just on Mayo football, but about being from Mayo.
    It will banish to the annals of history all that pitiful talk of ‘Mayo, God Help Us’ and ridiculous talk of curses.
    It would be a new beginning, and the greatest day in our proud sporting history as a county.
    For the players it must be just one more match. The baggage is not their doing. They know that, and they play with a self-belief rarely evident in Mayo teams. The weight of history rests lightly on their shoulders.
    Just like it does on the shoulders of young Henry Gaughan.
    Sunday represents a wonderful opportunity for redemption, for glory, for greatness for this county of ours.
    It is one the players want more than any of us. They travel with Mayo support from all over the world at their backs, longing for a new dawn.
    Carpe diem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some rules for Mayo supporters!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

seligehgit wrote: »
    Some rules for Mayo supporters!:D

Brilliant, where did that come from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

keane2097 wrote: »

It was around when I was in school, and that was nearer the 1951 AIF than this one!:D

No idea,mate forwarded to me,glad you enjoyed it!
    Great sport tonight,last word on sport,off the ball,sky channel 192 at 9,think seo spoirt has a preview too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great sport tonight,last word on sport,off the ball,sky channel 192 at 9,think seo spoirt has a preview too!

What's Sky Channel 192?

yep, Mayo's Mad for SAm, 9pm, just set it to record

What's Sky Channel 192?

It's Showcase 2 or IrishTV.ie, Mid West Radio often put content on it, no idea who owns it or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

yep, Mayo's Mad for SAm, 9pm, just set it to record

It's Showcase 2 or IrishTV.ie, Mid West Radio often put content on it, no idea who owns it or anything

They had a live show last night on in Kilmacud Crokes.
    They had Michael O Muircheartaigh and Sean Boylan amonst others I believe.

It was owned and run by Piaras Ó Raghallaigh from Westport when it was setup initially as MayoTV , but not sure if he sold out when it became IrishTV but still involved.
    They operate out of Westport.
    Look up Mayomedia or MaighEo Media.

Anyway here is to a great weekend with the right results.
    Don't forget the minors.

Maigh Eo Abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The way Tyrone came through the Kerry,Roscommon games (should have lost both) you would nearly say their name is on the cup but i think this is the best Mayo minor side i have seen in a number of years and their free scoring forwards should secure a comfortable win.

Last post here before match, might be hitting Mayo tomorrow for day and up early Sunday so no internet access- thankfully probably, given some of the tripe posted on twitter and the match thread here :p!

Anyhow fully believe in the lads, have done so all year. They left Croke Park last year no doubt disappointed beyond belief and have bounced back in some style. Fully believe since that day each person involved has vowed to do everything they possibly can to get the man with the big lugs back to Castlebar and the belief/intensity/hunger they've shown all year has been insane. The lads have done us super proud all year and I've no doubt they'll give their all and more on Sunday

I fully believe this is the year! From that day in Salthill I just knew this team was going to be something else this year and would take some stopping altogether. It comes to 70 minutes now and what has happened all year goes out the window, but sheer determination combined with that hurt from the third sunday in september last year will be enough IMO

Anyhow I'll be shouting my head off in Croker on Sunday- I cannot wait!

Believe

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I thought this was a nice little article: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201339

Basically sums up how every Mayo man/woman feels. Has anyone else found them self commentating how the final match will go as if you were marty morrisey!?

p.s. Still looking for tickets! pm me if you want my number if you think you may have spares tomorrow or sunday pleaaasseeee!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

i have 2 tickets for the nally.... any advice? my first time in the terrace; (im a cusack man!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

i have 2 tickets for the nally.... any advice? my first time in the terrace; (im a cusack man!!)

My advice, be happy you have tickets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

My advice, be happy you have tickets :)

haha! true that! just wondering should i go in the cusack side or hogan?
    what time should i head in at?

• Advertisement

Fascinating to hear the thoughts of Jim O Shea and Tony O Connor,your heart goes out to them,worrying about their loved ones.In particular Cillian,his shoulder will hold up le cunamh de.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement