Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

irishgeo wrote: »
    if COC make it , he has to start other we could waste 2 subs bringing him on and back off if his shoulder goes.

Start him and hope for the best with a plan in place if he was to go off injured.

The bench will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

he will be targeted straight away if he can come through the first 10-15mins he migh be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

I don't think McQuillan will be a massive influence on this game, as long as he doesn't do a McEaneany and send off our best player for no good reason...

Who was the ref in last years semi final when the tactical fouling started and he did nothing about it.
    Personally think big Joe is a great ref and probably one of the best in the country. There will always be focus on him with cheap jibes from both camps.

Regarding COC, id start him too. We risked Brogan in 2012 and it didn't pay off. Of course he'll be targeted but its all part and parcel of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yip Joe McQuillan is probably the best ref in the country,all a lot of hot air re his appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Who was the ref in last years semi final when the tactical fouling started and he did nothing about it.
    Personally think big Joe is a great ref and probably one of the best in the country. There will always be focus on him with cheap jibes from both camps.

What should he have done that he didn't do? He didn't do much about the Dublin players trying to take out the Mayo lads either. The better team won on the day and that's that, leave it be.

Again, I have no complaints about McQuillan reffing the match and I doubt that many other reasonable-minded fans have problems with him either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How bad was he in 2011? One of the lads text me, not a Mayo man, said he was shockin bad to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Know it's just over a week until the big game(s) but I really at this stage can hardly contain my excitement/tension.I'm a nervous wreck!Any others been hit by these afflications?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm nervous as hell too. I've a sick feeling in my stomach when I think of it, coupled with excitement of course. Up Mayo and may the best team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm not that nervous, that should kick in next week. Just can't wait for it now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pretty good so far on the nerves front.
    For me, the build up to the Donegal (2013) match was pure torture

Next week is going to be the longest week ever though!!

That's what waiting 62 years for hopefully Sam to come back to Mayo does to one!The emotional outpouring will be out of this world if we do manage to beat this very good Dublin team,we'll have certainly earned it.Brings a tear to eye dreaming of Andy Moran getting his hands on Sam,it will be reminiscent of the Galway hurlers in 1980,although the famine is on a different scale here.The West Awake!
    As Big Chris ak Vinnie Jones says "It's been emotional!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

every conversation i have had for the last week has contained the words tickets and mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Know it's just over a week until the big game(s) but I really at this stage can hardly contain my excitement/tension.I'm a nervous wreck!Any others been hit by these afflications?!:D

I'm a complete at utter mess, my head is 24/7 thinking about this game.
    I am really nervous about turning on my heals at the final whistle and exiting that place at speed without looking back just as I did last year.
    But I have been positive about this team all year and now I don't know what to think.
    Still no ticket either and if I don't have one by this time next week I'll have to head up to Dublin on the Saturday and start hunting.
    If I got a ticket I may be able to settle down a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

I am really nervous about turning on my heals at the final whistle and exiting that place at speed without looking back just as I did last year.
    But I have been positive about this team all year and now I don't know what to think.
    Still no ticket either and if I don't have one by this time next week I'll have to head up to Dublin on the Saturday and start hunting.

Yeah same position myself, no ticket sorted yet, so that's not helping matters

Nerves haven't sunk in properly yet but from next Monday I see myself being a mess. All the major build up/ talk of tactics/ tickets etc. will really come into full flow starting Monday I'd say. That's when it'll start to hit home

I'd give my left arm go to this cos I really think they'll do it. Wasn't that confident last year- hopeful we'll say- but ever since I walked out of Croke Park last September I said next year is the year. League was iffy but the feeling came back in Pearse Stadium that day and has been there since. I 100% believe we'll do it! Like you, if no ticket sorted by sat I'm gonna find a way up to Dublin and do my best. I want to be up there anyway

I'm gonna stay away from match thread though :o Tbh it's just gonna be full of WUM's and clueless people from next week, with tit for tat's between fans why one will win over the other! Of course some genuine, insightful posts too but I'm not really in the mood to read the word "bottlers" over and over again and silly lazy analysis (Mayo can't start poor, Mayo have no forwards).

I assume Aidan O'Shea will have another hamstring injury by about Wednesday evening?* The rumours mill will be in overdrive

*God forbid of course :)

Of course the main talking point from Monday will be a will he/won't he scenario wrt Cillian

I've read plenty of stuff in the past few weeks, some reliable, some not so reliable

Overall the conclusion I've drawn is he'll play on Sunday in A's v B's (stand corrected). If he comes through brilliant

If he does, he's got to start him. You can't have him coming on after about 45 mins then coming off 5 later, 2 subs down in the blink of an eye. If he isn't deemed fit enough then fair enough. While no doubt a big blow to the lad, this stuff about being detrimental to Mayo's chances is a bit much IMO. Yes, I'd rather he play than not, but Mickey C is coming back into form at the right time. Freezer and Hennelly for the frees, got to trust them.

If fit it's the exact same 15 for me. I know some would rather Mickey C than Andy but I've a feeling about Andy- he's capable of turning it on. At worst, he's not exactly a liability so it's hardly a big risk. At best he's a potential matchwinner. Might sound bizarre but has he been saving himself? An occasion like this is surely the place for him to bring his best.

If not fit Mickey C replaces him simple. I'd keep Higgins 12 the more lads running at that shaky backline at pace the better. Barrett is undroppable too

All in all Dublin have far bigger calls to make than ourselves I think (in the backline). Moving COS (hardly a natural midfielder in the first place) to CB has to be an option they're considering. Was a shrewd move the last day and one which steadied the ship. Saying that changing a midfield pairing for the showpiece is always a big call. I hope Brennan starts. Dillon can make hay on him I think and he'll foul for Ireland. Complete loose cannon too. Phily Mac will surely come in corner back. Good footballer- not a natural corner back but he's still an improvement on O'Brien. Cooper was useless the last day and we really need to target this area. This is where the tough decision is made. Conroy ran riot last year (was on COS or Fitzsimons can't remember which) and even Varley got great joy. But I still want Andy myself with Mickey C to be sprung off the bench

The worse case scenario IMO is if COC is deemed unfit and they start Varley. Not to be harsh on the lad, he was mighty v Galway earlier in year but I'll be raging if he gets in ahead of Conroy. That Dublin full backline is weak and we NEED to target it. Cooper will be far more confident if Varley approaches his corner than Conroy/COC before the game that's for sure. He was roasted v kerry and we need to target him.

I'd even accept if Doc got in instead but wont happen

Anyway, I trust James and wish Cillian all the best. Maigh Eo abu

Whats gone wrong with the tickets this year, why are we getting so few ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to gauge if we are. We won't know until mid to late next week.
    I watched the 2nd half of the Kerry and Dublin match, just wanted to see how "bad" McQuillan was, and to be honest outside of MAYBE 3 occassions where he could have given Kerry a free I couldn't spot anything too major. Kerry blew it as far as I can see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8Vffx5dvk

What I did notice though was the far far greater amount of Dublin fans than Kerry, but we know Kerry don't seem to travel, but I thought that was for "non final" matches.
    That would make me wonder about the claims of Mayo GAA. We are probably one of the best supported teams in the country, so if we end up there with a 2 or 3 to 1 Dublin fans v Mayo fans then we know whats happened.

Regardless, I am aiming to avoid all forums (fora! :D) next week, might drop in, as said every knob and its dresser will appear on the threads, I think all the main Dublin and Mayo fans who do be on here in the depths of winter have spoken on it and will probably back off also.
    Hope everyone gets a ticket sorted, still no season ticket yet for me, due in Monday.
    I'm off for a weeks holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dublin are involved plus there is a lot more interest from Mayo.

MayoGaaBlog did a great piece about tickets (think it was the week after the semi win), and it had some hilarious stories in it.

Clueless people chancing their arm for tickets who probably didn't even know who Mayo were playing :p. A story about someone asking could they've two side by side tickets in the hill was gold as was one about someone asking could they have 50 to bring their under 14 team up to the match or something along those lines.

AI brings everyone out of the woodwork and every man and his dog will be looking for that 'golden' ticket.

Best of luck to everyone. Sad some genuine fans will be left unfortunate, while those that know Lee Keegan as "come on number 5" will be beneficiaries.

Anyway, roll on the week ahead- wise words from Yop ignore all fora, full of sh1tetalk and stupid rumours.

All that's left to do is believe in the lads, from the moment I saw them warming up in Pearse Stadium I knew they had the hunger, motivation and belief to give it a right rattle this year and they have been brilliant ever since. They'll leave it out there on the pitch you can assure it.

Lets hope we'll be seeing ye next Sunday night for an almighty p1ss up :)

Believe

• Advertisement

Gerry91 wrote: »
    MayoGaaBlog did a great piece about tickets (think it was the week after the semi win), and it had some hilarious stories in it.

Clueless people chancing their arm for tickets who probably didn't even know who Mayo were playing :p. A story about someone asking could they've two side by side tickets in the hill was gold as was one about someone asking could they have 50 to bring their under 14 team up to the match or something along those lines.

AI brings everyone out of the woodwork and every man and his dog will be looking for that 'golden' ticket.

Best of luck to everyone. Sad some genuine fans will be left unfortunate, while those that know Lee Keegan as "come on number 5" will be beneficiaries.

Anyway, roll on the week ahead- wise words from Yop ignore all fora, full of sh1tetalk and stupid rumours.

All that's left to do is believe in the lads, from the moment I saw them warming up in Pearse Stadium I knew they had the hunger, motivation and belief to give it a right rattle this year and they have been brilliant ever since. They'll leave it out there on the pitch you can assure it.

Lets hope we'll be seeing ye next Sunday night for an almighty p1ss up :)

Believe

Thats the one abiding memory I have of them so far this year, it was match pace on the back pitch and the lads with me also commented it was mad intense. Horan in a piece last Nov. said that EVERY match was to be started at 100%, so far (maybe Rossies) that has been the case.
    One more game at that pace is all we can ask.

**did I say i wasnt posting anymore*

i think its because we have turned on or heals and exited the place at speed, with or heads down so many times, before that it makes us nervous because for the first time we are in with a very very good shout of bringing it home.
    this day week will tell a lot about how we are and what sort of support we will have,but this yr has being the worst for me in the line of getting tickets,had 4 last yr,i havent even seen one never mind get one in my hand.
    have the train booked so will go up even if i dont get a ticket call allways watch it in quinns.

naughto wrote: »
    i think its because we have turned on or heals and exited the place at speed, with or heads down so many times, before that it makes us nervous because for the first time we are in with a very very good shout of bringing it home.
    this day week will tell a lot about how we are and what sort of support we will have,but this yr has being the worst for me in the line of getting tickets,had 4 last yr,i havent even seen one never mind get one in my hand.
    have the train booked so will go up even if i dont get a ticket call allways watch it in quinns.

Exactly! Great banter up there, gonna make a weekend of it either way!

Heading up too with or without a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Seems that the Mayo County Board has taken half the hill allocation?

Seems that the Mayo County Board has taken half the hill allocation?

half their allocation or half of the hill allocation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

irishgeo wrote: »
    half their allocation or half of the hill allocation

half of the hill

1185141_360606884071465_323493966_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

• Advertisement

going to rob that fowler if you dont mind

This discussion has been closed.