Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Frescati

Here's hoping Sunday is our day , Great to hear COC might feature. Some inspiring stuff in this youtube video Mayo ... In James We Trust from the band Concord. Hope the link works http://youtu.be/qbwcmt9jVDI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just found out my hurling club only got 14 tickets. Where did this crap about hurling clubs getting 40 tickets come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Wasn't bad analysis but FFS for an AI final there should be whole show dedicated to it! In fairness to Whelan he knows what he's on about, good pundit. Looking forward to the OTB, Second Captains and most of all the Mayo News podcast and discussion on the game over the week :D

Its hit home now after receiving the first proper printed ticket of the year off the seasonticket crowd that we're in AI final again :)

I agree that the analysis was not that bad, they actually looked at various parts of each teams game and talked about how they could be countered etc
    I was disappointed however that neither of them really put their head on the block and said who would win it
    McStay concluded with some intangibles like hunger etc and Whelan reckoned that Dublin would have more if the last 10mins if it came to it, cos Mayo have not been tested in the last 10mins
    Actually Whelan's conclusions made me laugh, all year we have heard that Mayo have not been tested, and then after Tyrone we hear that they have only been tested for the first half and have never been tested in the last 10mins
    They way I look at it is that Mayo have passed every test they have been given

Got a ticket by the way so the nerves are now settled, and I am cautiously confident

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Davin Stand here I come!

Not the best seat in the house, but at least I will be in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Davin Stand here I come!

I have a ticket just waiting to hear if it's the hill or Nally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Davin Stand here I come!

i was there for the tyrone game not a bad place to be at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Davin Stand here I come!

I was in it last year, was the finest

Please God get sorted before Sunday, gonna head up anyways though.

any one going to "up for the match" in the tf tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

naughto wrote: »

Thinking about it, if only for the chance to win one of the tickets!

i am going, 6 sets of tickets up raffle i heard.

• Advertisement

6 though it was only 2sets.1200 tickets sold you one at the dest told me.15euro for a 2 an half hour talk about mayo and a chance to win a ticket should ud be mad not to go.

6 though it was only 2sets.1200 tickets sold you one at the dest told me.15euro for a 2 an half hour talk about mayo and a chance to win a ticket should ud be mad not to go.

Your more than likely right 6 seems way too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

irishgeo wrote: »
    Your more than likely right 6 seems way too many.

Heard on MidWest this morning that its 10 tickets they are giving away.

2006 semi final is on the RTE player.

Brolly predicted a rout.

2006 semi final is on the RTE player.

Brolly predicted a rout.

Thanks for that, watched the warm-up again and the thing that struck me was how little they did compared to these days.

They were just hoofing balls over the bar, and talking to each other.

Thanks for that, watched the warm-up again and the thing that struck me was how little they did compared to these days.

They were just hoofing balls over the bar, and talking to each other.
    Yeah, I noticed that too.

These days as soon as the minor match finishes, guys are out placing cones and plastic poles randomly inside the 45m line.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

These days as soon as the minor match finishes, guys are out placing cones and plastic poles randomly inside the 45m line.

Donie Buckley does not do anything randomly :)

Donie Buckley does not do anything randomly :)
    We had Lee Keegan down for a medals presentation during the winter when the hard slog training would be going on.

He said that when training was over, Buckley would have more muck on him than the players because he would spend most of the session on the ground encouraging them when they would be doing squats, press ups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

I agree that the analysis was not that bad, they actually looked at various parts of each teams game and talked about how they could be countered etc
    I was disappointed however that neither of them really put their head on the block and said who would win it
    McStay concluded with some intangibles like hunger etc and Whelan reckoned that Dublin would have more if the last 10mins if it came to it, cos Mayo have not been tested in the last 10mins
    Actually Whelan's conclusions made me laugh, all year we have heard that Mayo have not been tested, and then after Tyrone we hear that they have only been tested for the first half and have never been tested in the last 10mins
    They way I look at it is that Mayo have passed every test they have been given

Got a ticket by the way so the nerves are now settled, and I am cautiously confident
    Agree with the tested lark. I think we'd need to lose a game before they will conclude that we were tested. All I'm afraid is that we could win the AI and still not be tested! I think the only reason Whelan is saying Dublin are finishing stronger is because they cant kill off the game before that. Lets face it they made heavy weather out of an average Meath side and could easily have been beaten by a Kerry team carrying a lot of senior men. Interestingly the only goal Mayo have conceded in the championship was when we were at least 20 points up on Donegal and the game was long over as a contest. Dublin on the other hand have leaked 3 in thirty minutes. Despite theses interesting facts I'm as nervous as a cat!

BTW its only when I got my ticket that the nerves started to really tingle.

The team is out girls and boys

here it is

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    13. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    14. Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Captain)

So Cillian starting and Higgins at CF, I hope to God it all works out

*Could be dummy too of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think every Mayo fan will be flinching every time COC goes into contact!

Does anyone know realistically how much a shoulder injury like that would be expected to heal in 4 weeks?

Like how much off 100% strength would it be?

In a ideal world everything would work out with that team
    i.e O' Connor is not hampered by the shoulder, the backs, without Higgins being there full time, would be fine against a very attack minded Dublin and that at some stage you could get a boost in two areas with swapping Cuniffe for Carolan, with Higgins going to the backs and Carolan going to the half forwards.

I just hope it works

I am not sure if it's a huge gamble either though, Higgins has done well in the forward role, and it's not one of theses situations that has to work 110% correctly for Mayo to win.

Mayo in the past had to be at 100% and their opponents less than 100% to have a chance of winning, this time it is different, Mayo are coming into this far better than they have ever have, and have depth and options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You have to think Philly McMahon is going to test out that shoulder early and often, O'Connor will have to be doped up to his goolies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

keane2097 wrote: »
    You have to think Philly McMahon is going to test out that shoulder early and often, O'Connor will have to be doped up to his goolies.

Whether or not he has taken all the pain killers in the world won't stop a shoulder that has a habit of popping out doing the same thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Maybe a bit early for this sort of thing, but good luck to Mayo from a Sligoman. I really hope ye do it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Muilleann

Mayo absolutely need a good first 20 mins.

Whether or not he has taken all the pain killers in the world won't stop a shoulder that has a habit of popping out doing the same thing again.

All I have ever heard about this shoulder of his is that it's not the force it's hit with but the where it's hit and the way it's hit.
    McMahon could be thumping him all day and nothing will happen, and then if he just moves it the wrong way it will pop, as seemed to happen v Tyrone.

How true that is, I don't know

Just want an opening 10 minutes where we are not deflated by early goals.

Work on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

If you consider that COC played a half against London and a full match against Donegal and then the shoulder popped against Tyrone. I'm sure he got hit pretty hard at some point in those two hours of football and then he had a relatively innocuous fall and challenge when it actually went. So it could last 70 mins or 70 secs. Either way we have to be prepared in terms of who we bring on, how the game plan changes and who goes on what frees if COC has to go off.

• Advertisement

kevmy85 wrote: »
    If you consider that COC played a half against London and a full match against Donegal and then the shoulder popped against Tyrone. I'm sure he got hit pretty hard at some point in those two hours of football and then he had a relatively innocuous fall and challenge when it actually went. So it could last 70 mins or 70 secs. Either way we have to be prepared in terms of who we bring on, how the game plan changes and who goes on what frees if COC has to go off.

I'm sure that has been something Horan has been considering since Oct 2012 when this shoulder first went

I'm sure that all summer the management has been working on a plan of what to do without O Connor involved, I just hope the guys step up on the day and it works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement