Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The same Tyrone side that Donegal beat by 6 points in June and only struggled past Roscommon,Monaghan and Meath all div 3 teams? Tyrone for 35 minutes played well against Mayo however Mayo delivered their worst performance of the year yet still won pulling up. IMO the 1997 six point win over Leinster champions Offaly in 1997 was far greater win simply because they were better opposition.

Mayo played poorly in the 97 final and one Kerry forward more or less won the All Ireland for them.
    Mayo were warm enough favourites going into that final as I recall.

No one could possibly have factored in the performance of Maurice Fitzgerald and a very poor 50 minutes from Mayo.

They never got going until the penalty and could have got even closer but just left themselves too much to do.

It was not a great Kerry team and we had beaten them handily enough the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Well imo it is. It's exploiting genuine fans, thats for sure but hey its a free market, no one is getting hurt etc. Plenty of scumbags in todays society, i dont think ticket touts deserve the term.

Ive used touts a couple of times, didnt like doing it or like them but otherwise i wasn't getting into a game

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭neiphin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mayo were warm enough favourites going into that final as I recall.

No one could possibly have factored in the performance of Maurice Fitzgerald and a very poor 50 minutes from Mayo.

They never got going until the penalty and could have got even closer but just left themselves too much to do.

It was not a great Kerry team and we had beaten them handily enough the previous year.

i hope your not giving pat holmes a pass here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not sure if we were favourites but we certainly underperformed against one of the poorest Kerry team's to ever win an All Ireland.Maurice Fits won that All Ireland for the kingdom.
    We were not short of decent forwards in 96/97.As already mentioned we had Horan,McDonald,Nestor,Casey, Sheridan and o Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The Cairde Maigh Eo members I was talking to today weren't happy with the tickets they got, all seem to be in the corners of the stands.

Is it true that every TD, senator and councillor in the country get tickets? Not fair if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The Mayo forwards from 1996 were:

Horan McManamon Sheridan
    Dempsey Casey Nestor/Finnerty

and 1997:

Sheridan McManamon Casey
    McDonald McHale Nestor

Neither of those units would strike fear into teams. The amount of wides they accumulated was ridiculous at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Well imo it is. It's exploiting genuine fans, thats for sure but hey its a free market, no one is getting hurt etc. Plenty of scumbags in todays society, i dont think ticket touts deserve the term.

Ive used touts a couple of times, didnt like doing it or like them but otherwise i wasn't getting into a game

This comes up every year around final time. Touts are just an unfortunate aspect of any ticketed event. To prevent touting the GAA would need a system whereby the customer would provide their details at purchase time and require ID at the entry. Would not be workable given that the tickets aren't on general sale.

That's the free market for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Horan McManamon Sheridan

and 1997:

Sheridan McManamon Casey
    McDonald McHale Nestor

Neither of those units would strike fear into teams. The amount of wides they accumulated was ridiculous at the time.

Apart from O'Connor how many of the current Mayo forwards would strike fear into Dublin? Freeman is having a good year and its hoped that Dillion,Andy Moran can deliver a top performance while Conroy will cause problems however he doesn't score enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Apart from O'Connor how many of the current Mayo forwards would strike fear into Dublin? Freeman is having a good year and its hoped that Dillion,Andy Moran can deliver a top performance while Conroy will cause problems however he doesn't score enough.

Everyone you mentioned, plus McLoughlin and whoever starts at centre half forward :D

But really even Conroy is capable of scoring as many from play as most of the above could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Everyone you mentioned, plus McLoughlin and whoever starts at centre half forward :D

But really even Conroy is capable of scoring as many from play as most of the above could get.

Not too mention our HBs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I doubt those mentioned would strike fear into Dublin however the running game and high pressure overall physical nature of Mayos play may strike fear into them.

Conroy is capable however he hasn't delivered in the scoring stakes thus far but no better time to deliver than on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

The Cairde Maigh Eo members I was talking to today weren't happy with the tickets they got, all seem to be in the corners of the stands.

Is it true that every TD, senator and councillor in the country get tickets? Not fair if it is.
    dont no about he td senators and councilloas but there is a lot of people giving out about the way The Cairde Maigh Eo members have being treated.
    iam not one incase ye think i am,but they have got royaly f1ucked over if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

eastmayo wrote: »
    Anyone else pick up there cairde mhaigheo all ireland ticket today?poor enough ticket i got.right in the corner of the cusack.just wondering did any of yeah get any better tickets

312 myself

I'd love to know who's sitting in 306/307 and why we've been moved from there.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    312 myself

county boards members wifes:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

312 myself

I would love to no as well.i no we have our all ireland ticket but....i have got 307 all year and now in corner...

Kalyke wrote: »
    Lucky muppets......
    Anyone complaining about where they are sitting is a muppet.

In's in.
    Unbelievable, complaining about a ticket :rolleyes:

Nobody is complaining about a ticket because it was already guaranteed. Cairde Maigh Eo members shelled out €200 at the start of the year before a ball was kicked. Ever since we've reached Croker we've been allocated 306/307 which are great seats, people are rightfully wondering why all of sudden we've been moved to the very corner of the stadium.

The question is who are in them seats and why are they considered more important than supporters who have followed the team all year.

naughto wrote: »
    county boards members wifes:pac::pac:

How many wifes/girlfriends do they have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nobody is complaining about a ticket because it was already guaranteed. Cairde Maigh Eo members shelled out €200 at the start of the year before a ball was kicked. Ever since we've reached Croker we've been allocated 306/307 which are great seats, people are rightfully wondering why all of sudden we've been moved to the very corner of the stadium.

The question is who are in them seats and why are they considered more important than supporters who have followed the team all year.

I mean complaining about the location. Maybe the county board didnt get tickets for thsoe sections for the final? i dont know, just wondering

I mean complaining about the location. Maybe the county board didnt get tickets for thsoe sections for the final? i dont know, just womdering

Look I don't mind where I sit if I'm being honest but we are trying to figure out why we've been moved.

I think the whole All-Ireland ticketing is a farce anyway. The two competing counties should get the lions share and a small share to the minors. Too many tickets are given to clubs around the country plus schools/TD's/Councillors etc
    Wouldn't it be easier for the GAA to give the whole Hogan to Dublin and the Cusack to Mayo and let the county boards distribute them how they see fit. Then let the Davin/Hill go to whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Leinster was very competitive back then with Kildare,Meath and Dublin all winning or reaching All Ireland finals and the following year Offaly won the NFL title though they went downhill after that win. Should be noted that you didn't play particularly well against Sligo in last years Connacht final either however it didn't stop you from reaching the All Ireland final.

Like nowadays you had some decent forwards back then (Horan, McDonald,Nestor,O’Neill,Sheridan) maybe back then you needed a few scoring half backs?

And that's why I am saying that this team has put on the best display throughout a championship that I have every seen from Mayo.
    I do not think that there is any way that this team of 2013 would have beaten Sligo by a mere 2pts in a Connaught final, they would have beaten them by 22

• Advertisement

Look I don't mind where I sit if I'm being honest but we are trying to figure out why we've been moved.

I think the whole All-Ireland ticketing is a farce anyway. The two competing counties should get the lions share and a small share to the minors. Too many tickets are given to clubs around the country plus schools/TD's/Councillors etc
    Wouldn't it be easier for the GAA to give the whole Hogan to Dublin and the Cusack to Mayo and let the county boards distribute them how they see fit. Then let the Davin/Hill go to whoever.

Ok, im going to completely disagree with you on this. The Al Ireland Final is the showpiece of the GAA year and it's their right to decide how they allocate the tickets. The reality is that Mayo have about 6-8,000 hardcore fans, Dublin maybe a bit more, thats the reality and all these fans will get tickets.

Why should the GAA worry about looking after people in the competing counties who never go to a game, club or county? Hey it's great when everyone gets behind a successful team and the crack is mighty here in Mayo at the moment but some of the headers giving out about tickets and have never seen at a club match, give me a break.

Ok, im going to completely disagree with you on this. The Al Ireland Final is the showpiece of the GAA year and it's their right to decide how they allocate the tickets. The reality is that Mayo have about 6-8,000 hardcore fans, Dublin maybe a bit more, thats the reality and all these fans will get tickets.

Why should the GAA worry about looking after people in the competing counties who never go to a game, club or county? Hey it's great when everyone gets behind a successful team and the crack is mighty here in Mayo at the moment but some of the headers giving out about tickets and have never seen at a club match, give me a break.

Fair enough buck you're entitled to disagree.

It's my opinion though that the GAA release too many tickets to sources that don't need them. Why not give 30k to the counties actually in it and stop the messing. It would stop a lot of ****e. It may be the show piece game but at the end of the day it should centre around the two counties competing imo.

FWIT I agree with you about people looking for a ticket that hardly know the rules of the game. I saw people at the Tyrone game that I knew for a fact would normally close the curtains if Mayo were playing in their backyard. Massive bandwagon with the GAA, which is why a lot of Cairde MaighEo are pissed that these reptiles will probably get a ticket centre pitch..

Fair enough buck you're entitled to disagree.

It's my opinion though that the GAA release too many tickets to sources that don't need them. Why not give 30k to the counties actually in it and stop the messing. It would stop a lot of ****e. It may be the show piece game but at the end of the day it should centre around the two counties competing imo.

FWIT I agree with you about people looking for a ticket that hardly know the rules of the game. I saw people at the Tyrone game that I knew for a fact would normally close the curtains if Mayo were playing in their backyard. Massive bandwagon with the GAA, which is why a lot of Cairde MaighEo are pissed that these reptiles will probably get a ticket centre pitch..

I understand your frustration.

But why should they release 30k tickets to people who dont actually go to games or generally give a **** about GAA? Every GAA fan will get a ticket, and in fairness there is dam all bad seats in Croker now. And maybe undeserving causes will get a good seat, hey that happens.

It's impossible to come up with fair system. I know you from the huddleboard, i got a ticket for Seville by chancing it and buying one UEFA.com before the liverpool match. Met bhoys there that were far more deserving of getting in than me, i turned down £600 for a ticket from a lad nearly crying that he couldnt get in. Did he deserve it more than me? Of course he did and in an ideal world he'd have got it but i wasnt giving it up, cruel but thats life i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭blowitupref

And that's why I am saying that this team has put on the best display throughout a championship that I have every seen from Mayo.
    I do not think that there is any way that this team of 2013 would have beaten Sligo by a mere 2pts in a Connaught final, they would have beaten them by 22
    How good were the displays from the opponents though? you have to give credit to Sligo in 2012 Connacht final for the way they set themselves up, they were far more organised than Galway or Roscommon were against Mayo this summer.

For me once a side lose by 10 plus points its almost about how bad they are on the day than how good you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

312 myself

I hope to be sitting in 306 :) Will let you know when Croke Park send our tickets out to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

Hi, cananyone tell me if they have received notification about purchasing their All ireland tickets on their season ticket? We havent here and are getting a bit bothered. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Horan McManamon Sheridan

and 1997:

Sheridan McManamon Casey
    McDonald McHale Nestor

Yes - let's face it, those were really poor forward lines. At the absolute most, each one had two players who had a decent scoring record from play. Sheridan was being carried for frees every game, McManamon was a worker but couldn't shoot, Nestor was a good club player and no more.

I think a lot of people have rewritten history in their heads and forgotten just how poor we were in that area. I can't believe people would use Nestor to try to back up a claim that there were good inter county standard forwards on the team, that kills the argument stone dead. And O'Neill...rightly or wrongly, as the line ups show, he wasn't playing.

Nobody is saying that we have the best forward line in the country at the moment but to compare those forwards to the current line up is way off. The current squad wins that argument by a long way both in terms of the first team and also squad depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rockluck

Hi, cananyone tell me if they have received notification about purchasing their All ireland tickets on their season ticket? We havent here and are getting a bit bothered. Thanks

I emailed the gaa and they said if your attendance is over the 60% you are entitled to a ticket and that an email would be sent in due course and that to make sure u had funds in your account as it would be debited on mon/tues.....so im presuming this means this mon/tues? Not sure when the tickets will be sent out though!!

I understand your frustration.

But why should they release 30k tickets to people who dont actually go to games or generally give a **** about GAA? Every GAA fan will get a ticket, and in fairness there is dam all bad seats in Croker now. And maybe undeserving causes will get a good seat, hey that happens.

It's impossible to come up with fair system. I know you from the huddleboard, i got a ticket for Seville by chancing it and buying one UEFA.com before the liverpool match. Met bhoys there that were far more deserving of getting in than me, i turned down £600 for a ticket from a lad nearly crying that he couldnt get in. Did he deserve it more than me? Of course he did and in an ideal world he'd have got it but i wasnt giving it up, cruel but thats life i suppose

Seville was different. Now them tickets would have been like goldust because the stadium held less and Celtic obviously has far more support than Mayo.

CrokePark holds 80k+, I think they could accommodate the two counties a little better instead of the scrambling for tickets that we see every time. It's how you look at it I suppose. Do you want people getting tickets from all over the country or the majority going to the two counties involved - personally I'd prefer the latter.

• Advertisement

rJLBtKp.jpg

mayo.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement