Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

KareMart wrote: »
    Hope this will get everyone in the right mood... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz20Zw8o1R4&feature=youtu.be

That's a brilliant effort, well done. But as a Dub I find it quite Mayo biased for some reason...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Brolly reckons we will win. Nice swipe against Tyrone too.

http://www.irishtv.ie/joe-brolly-reckons-mayo-will-win/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Brolly reckons we will win. Nice swipe against Tyrone too.

http://www.irishtv.ie/joe-brolly-reckons-mayo-will-win/

he been saying that all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I disagree
    Forwards are in short enough supply so I think you start with your best and even though Moran is not having a good year he is still capable of doing a lot
    Plus you have to keep Higgins back to counter the Dublin attacks
    So I would go with Cillian in the half forward line, Conroy and Moran in the corners with Freeman in the middle.
    If Cillian does play it will be a worry his ability to contest or tackle someone strong n fast like Mccarthy Thats why I think it would be corner forward for him n having to avoid as much contact as possible I think Moran will start But Carolan/Conroy are I would say very close to a start Higgins half forward will likely continue Honestly its a good problem to have a bench of players who are close to starters But I see four Dublin backs physically outmatching our starters Only Freeman n likely Higgins centre forward on Brennan Iv confidence to win consistent posession Mccarthy is the kinda player could disrupt Mcgloughlin Mccaffrey can match Dillon If Andy not in form n Cillian cant tackle leaves us setting ourselves up for trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Terrified that Mayo will lose. My father (a former Mayo Senior county footballer) has had his heart broken too many times by Mayo teams that nearly brought Sam home. I just want him to get 1 win in his lifetime and he's 70 now. I will be watching it with bated breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Best of luck to Mayo from me, a long time fan of Mayo football, though I'm from the SW.

omens

1951 and 2013 - Mayo won 3 in a row in Connacht
    1951 and 2013 - Kilkenny fail to play in Croke park.
    1951 and 2013 - Mayo played the Leinster Champions(Meath) in the final.
    1951 and 2013 - A Connacht vs Ulster minor final . Roscommon beat Armagh in the minor final in 1951.
    1951 and 2013 - A team from Munster won the 1951 All Ireland Hurling Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

irishgeo wrote: »
    omens

1951 and 2013 - A Connacht vs Ulster minor final . Roscommon beat Armagh in the minor final in 1951.

Last British Wimbledon winner 1936... Mayo won AI ;)

Haha clutching at straws with that one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

irishgeo wrote: »
    omens

Ah yes píseogs, they come out every year and never work.
    No offence OP by the way :)

Oh and is anyone familiar with New England Patriots linebacker Jerrod Mayo, wears No 51, saw a guy at the Tyrone game with one of these shirts on him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGV-vxsiaiu56vPiCkJAEt7qDAvg_SSH2TFtYOi-XX_mo53ZLmNw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOmcv6C-Wz7NF0nNAol2SPMwxDbASeYZLw5ci6m682lci5tQZO

• Advertisement

Oh and is anyone familiar with New England Patriots linebacker Jerrod Mayo, wears No 51, saw a guy at the Tyrone game with one of these shirts on him

none taken , its all a bit or craic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 angelclar

Cool shirt hopefully it be mayo 13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Want one of those!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Want one of those!

Must order, am a Pats fan, and heading over to Wembley the week after the AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If anyone knows the song Religious Man by Mr Loco as featured in the movie Nacho Libre, I wrote a parody here for all you Mayo fans:

MAYO IS FOR SAM

4 Sam 4 Sam, 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    I long 4 Sam, I yearn 4 Sam,
    I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I soon realised, a mighty team,
    Can separate, a chance from fate.
    A championship, they can take,
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    Whoa!

We have prayed, and been depraved,
    To lose last year,
    Never again.
    Cause it's our journey,
    The road to Croke
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I pray 4 Sam, I wish 4 Sam,
    On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

yop wrote: »
    Must order, am a Pats fan, and heading over to Wembley the week after the AI final.

He has been on the team for a number of years now and has always wore 51,
    It was only when I saw the guy at the Tyrone game with it that it dawned on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

JJ wrote: »
    If anyone knows the song Religious Man by Mr Loco as featured in the movie Nacho Libre, I wrote a parody here for all you Mayo fans:

MAYO IS FOR SAM

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

I soon realised, a mighty team,
    Can separate, a chance from fate.
    A championship, they can take,
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam,
    Whoa!

We have prayed, and been depraved,
    To lose last year,
    Never again.
    Cause it's our journey,
    The road to Croke
    That's why Mayo is 4 Sam 4 Sam 4 Sam

I crave 4 Sam,
    I ache 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

On board 4 Sam,
    Our squad 4 Sam,
    Mayo is 4 Sam.
    Mayo is 4 Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Mayo still evens with PP. Dublin 4/5 from 10/11. Not much of a betting man but isnt that a slight drift for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Kalyke wrote: »
    Mayo still evens with PP. Dublin 4/5 from 10/11. Not much of a betting man but isnt that a slight drift for Dublin?

The opposite. 44/55 from 50/55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mattser wrote: »
    The opposite. 44/55 from 50/55.
    I'd say its casual bets from the big Dub population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Quick question, would you be more confident this year heading into the All-Ireland compared to last?

For me, I would be slightly more confident but that's because last year was unexpected in a sense and Donegal had this mantra about them and their system that they seemed unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I also think the loss of Andy Moran last year was a bigger blow than the loss of any single player this year could be. The team are better all-round now and there's no individual standing out quite as much as he did. I'm more confident but also far more worried because losing two in a row would be awful and very hard to come back from.

Quick question, would you be more confident this year heading into the All-Ireland compared to last?

For me, I would be slightly more confident but that's because last year was unexpected in a sense and Donegal had this mantra about them and their system that they seemed unbeatable.

This time last year I was confident that Donegal would be 'found out' and that Mayo were the ones to find them out, i.e. get an early lead and make Donegal chase the game.
    That of course did not happen and Donegal got just what they needed, i.e. a early lead
    I also thought that hype would affect Donegal , but it did not affect either team.

Since last years final I have always predicted a Mayo v Dublin final with the idea that Dublin would get there as a total and utter juggernaut and that once again Mayo would have to face a team with great momentum in a final and ultimately succumb.

It has turned out a little differently, Mayo are the juggernaut, hammering all before them and ultimately sweeping Tyrone aside once they got going.
    Dublin have had it a little tougher, getting past a spirited Kerry team in the closing minutes, being asked questions about their defence, creating lots of chances but not taking them etc, but at the same time being a very good team with massive potential to score a heat of scores and a brillinat bench.

I am a little more confident this year, I am more confident because it is now the third year, they have learned so much for the previous two, their intensity has increased, they make less mistakes, they make the opposition make more mistakes, they have scored buckets of goals, Buckley's work has helped greatly
    But on the flip side, their best forwards are either injured (o' Connor), just back from injury (Conroy) or not preforming since injury (Moran)

Overall I could convince myself that Mayo can win by being the better team, rather than relying on the opposition to have a bad day, make mistakes etc

I really don't know what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I hate to say this, but IMO, we're sending 2 teams to Dublin and neither will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I hate to say this, but IMO, we're sending 2 teams to Dublin and neither will win.

Your reasoning is sound

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

come off it we have the best chance EVER this yr for the double

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No doubt that is one of the possible permutations, based largely on our awful all Ireland final record.But sure what is the point in turning up at all if we have that expectation? I was very impressed with the minors against a very poor Monaghan team.We defeated the favourites for the title Roscommon who really should have had the game won last Sunday.Tyrone will be formidable opponents if they carry on like they did in the final ten minutes otherwise I think our lads can do the business.
    Less optimistic about the seniors,slight underdogs.My pessimism is largely based on our finals record, there isn't a lot to separate the teams.The teams need the supporters to have belief in the them,not a blind faith but certainly a some level of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

seligehgit wrote: »
    No doubt that is one of the possible permutations, based largely on our awful all Ireland final record.But sure what is the point in turning up at all if we have that expectation? I was very impressed with the minors against a very poor Monaghan team.We defeated the favourites for the title Roscommon who really should have had the game won last Sunday.Tyrone will be formidable opponents if they carry on like they did in the final ten minutes otherwise I think our lads can do the business.
    Less optimistic about the seniors,slight underdogs.My pessimism is largely based on our finals record, there isn't a lot to separate the teams.The teams need the supporters to have belief in the them,not a blind faith but certainly a some level of positivity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a trophy, preferably Sam, on the bus home with the lads, but I just think we're going not to beat Dublin. I think it'll be much the same as last weekend, they'll find another gear when/if they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement