Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a trophy, preferably Sam, on the bus home with the lads, but I just think we're going not to beat Dublin. I think it'll be much the same as last weekend, they'll find another gear when/if they need to.

While I rate Dublin as favorites and was very impressed with them last weekend I wonder how much of the game came down to an older Kerry team not able for the pace and intensity of playing a 100 miles an hour for a full 70 mins?

I really feel Mayo has to do it now or never though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

The Rossies are behind Mayo as well

270695.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a trophy, preferably Sam, on the bus home with the lads, but I just think we're going not to beat Dublin. I think it'll be much the same as last weekend, they'll find another gear when/if they need to.

Dublin didn't find another gear in the semi, Kerry did. Kerry went from 5th to barely 2nd and allowed Dublin to cruise past without "changing gear" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And do you not think that Mayo have a another gear in them ?
    While I rate Dublin as favorites and was very impressed with them last weekend I wonder how much of the game came down to an older Kerry team not able for the pace and intensity of playing a 100 miles an hour for a full 70 mins?

I really feel Mayo has to do it now or never though!

True, Kerry were always going to struggle to keep up the pace that they start with, we have seen that all year and I am even surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Even though I think it's a 50/50 game I cannot figure why Mayo people would be negative about Mayo.
    I have been watching them for 30 odd years and I have never seen a Mayo team play a championship season as good as these guys.
    Everything about this season has been good and it's really great to be entering a final with the team in this shape, and it's not just about this year, it's been the way this team has developed under Horan.
    Gone are the days or scraping past Fermanagh or Laois in a reply, this team are for real.
    Sure Cillian O' Connor probable loss is a concern but as I have said before it's not as if the management did not see it coming and I am confident they have been working hard on a backup free taker for months now.
    The Dublin backs have been questioned and I'm sure there are plenty more on the Mayo team who want to ask them more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

And do you not think that Mayo have a another gear in them ?

True, Kerry were always going to struggle to keep up the pace that they start with, we have seen that all year and I am even surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Even though I think it's a 50/50 game I cannot figure why Mayo people would be negative about Mayo.
    I have been watching them for 30 odd years and I have never seen a Mayo team play a championship season as good as these guys.
    Everything about this season has been good and it's really great to be entering a final with the team in this shape, and it's not just about this year, it's been the way this team has developed under Horan.
    Gone are the days or scraping past Fermanagh or Laois in a reply, this team are for real.
    Sure Cillian O' Connor probable loss is a concern but as I have said before it's not as if the management did not see it coming and I am confident they have been working hard on a backup free taker for months now.
    The Dublin backs have been questioned and I'm sure there are plenty more on the Mayo team who want to ask them more questions.

I'll agree that this is probably the best and most complete Mayo team that has reached an All-Ireland since they last won in 1951 but you can understand why Mayo people are anxious...all them All-Ireland final losses leave scars that aren't easily forgotten.

I think that's why Mayo are known for their hype once they reach a final, we get there and it's almost like we do our celebrating before the final half expecting to lose anyway.
    It's time that trail of thought is done away with though and the only way to do that is to win the thing outright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I think it was more about Dublin sorting out their defensive problems at half time more than anything else and Kerry only managed 0-6 once those changes were made.

I'll agree that this is probably the best and most complete Mayo team that has reached an All-Ireland since they last won in 1951 but you can understand why Mayo people are anxious...all them All-Ireland final losses leave scars that aren't easily forgotten.

I think that's why Mayo are known for their hype once they reach a final, we get there and it's almost like we do our celebrating before the final half expecting to lose anyway.
    It's time that trail of thought is done away with though and the only way to do that is to win the thing outright!

What about the 1996 side that arguably left All Ireland behind them? they came back the following year just like this years team and having beaten Kerry well in 96 semi final they were confident of beating them in the final and remember that was Kerrys first final for 11 years. The one big difference between Mayo then and now is their manager however James Horan will be up against another top manager Jim Gavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You should have a little more belief in this team. Ever since we turned Cork over on a rainy day in August 2011 we've been progressing all the time. There's no reason to start doubting the lads now, especially when they've been so formidable all summer. Don't forget we will be very hard beat if we play to our fullest and there's no reason why we can't.

I said it before - there is nothing to lose but everything to gain from this final. I might be nervous entering Croker ( a couple of quick pints in Quinns will help ) but I won't fear losing the game. I really don't know how this game will pan out btw...we only know that there's gonna be a show and the green and red will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Avns1s wrote: »
    Dublin didn't find another gear in the semi, Kerry did. Kerry went from 5th to barely 2nd and allowed Dublin to cruise past without "changing gear" at all.

Yeah it was level at 68 minutes or thereabouts and two Kerry lads decide go for one ball it breaks to MDMA and K Mc M finishes and that's that. This is just after O'Sullivan missing a great chance

These cliches about another gear and all this are silly, they got a break or two near the end and kicked on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it was more about Dublin sorting out their defensive problems at half time more than anything else and Kerry only managed 0-6 once those changes were made.

What about the 1996 side that arguably left All Ireland behind them? they came back the following year just like this years team and having beaten Kerry well in 96 semi final they were confident of beating them in the final and remember that was Kerrys first final for 11 years. The one big difference between Mayo then and now is their manager however James Horan will be up against another top manager Jim Gavin.

Even though the 96 and 97 teams were genuine contenders I don't think they came to finals with the momentum of this side
    In 97 if I recall they struggled v Sligo in the Connaught final and were less than impressive v Offaly in the semi.

This may be revisionist history but if I recall the selection of Flannagan was nothing more than Maughan giving his old friend a chance to win an All Ireland, he was not fit and when he broke down in the first 10 minutes Maughan's answer was to bring on Horan, and re-gig the whole thing.
    I doubt Horan would do the same with his injured club-man O' Connor
    I know it's a different era but this team are a lot better prepared than anything we saw in '97,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The other big difference is that this team is a hell of a lot better than the 96/97 team. Whether they'll be good enough to win this year I don't know, but I'd be very confident that our current team would have won both of those finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah Dermot Flanagan was never match fit,crazy decision to start him with a hamstring injury.Required 5 switches if I recall.All so Dermot could emulate his late father.James Horan will not make the same mistake with Cillian but is there blind spot in relation to Andy?Suppose Enda Varley's last appearance made that call a bit easier,4 weeks will hopefully make a big difference to Andy's fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    The Rossies are behind Mayo as well

270695.jpg

You can just tell by his smug grim he doesn't fancy yer chances. #2 all-time to Cake in the minor keeepr stakes.

The other big difference is that this team is a hell of a lot better than the 96/97 team. Whether they'll be good enough to win this year I don't know, but I'd be very confident that our current team would have won both of those finals.

Even though the 96 and 97 teams were genuine contenders I don't think they came to finals with the momentum of this side
    In 97 if I recall they struggled v Sligo in the Connaught final and were less than impressive v Offaly in the semi.

This may be revisionist history but if I recall the selection of Flannagan was nothing more than Maughan giving his old friend a chance to win an All Ireland, he was not fit and when he broke down in the first 10 minutes Maughan's answer was to bring on Horan, and re-gig the whole thing.
    I doubt Horan would do the same with his injured club-man O' Connor
    I know it's a different era but this team are a lot better prepared than anything we saw in '97,

Connacht football was arguably at it strongest for decades from 1996-2001 and in fairness the Offaly team that Mayo beat was fairly decent as well every bit as good as the Tyrone side you faced a few weeks ago in semi final IMO. In that time you could say Mayo left All Ireland behind them and Maughan was probably one reasons for that. While i have high praise for Horan he didn't get his match ups right in last years final and he will be more determined than ever to get it right this time. It sounds like he will risk O'Connor and that call could make or break your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Anyone else pick up there cairde mhaigheo all ireland ticket today?poor enough ticket i got.right in the corner of the cusack.just wondering did any of yeah get any better tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

eastmayo wrote: »
    Anyone else pick up there cairde mhaigheo all ireland ticket today?poor enough ticket i got.right in the corner of the cusack.just wondering did any of yeah get any better tickets

I Didn't get one but have seen a few and they are all on the corner. section 311. not under cover either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Right shambles by the county board. Lets hope the gaa season ticket allocation are better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Connacht football was arguably at it strongest for decades from 1996-2001 and in fairness the Offaly team that Mayo beat was fairly decent as well every bit as good as the Tyrone side you faced a few weeks ago in semi final IMO. In that time you could say Mayo left All Ireland behind them and Maughan was probably one reasons for that. While i have high praise for Horan he didn't get his match ups right in last years final and he will be more determined than ever to get it right this time. It sounds like he will risk O'Connor and that call could make or break your chances.

No, it was a poor Offaly team, not a patch on Tyrone, they caught Meath on the hop the year after their AI. Mayo played one good game that year - the very first one against Galway. They stumbled from there to the final playing particularly poorly against Sligo and Offaly on the way but weren't caught out until final day. The Mayo teams of the late 90s were hamstrung by a shocking lack of depth in the forwards - if they had managed to eke out an AI in spite of that it would have been some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Right shambles by the county board. Lets hope the gaa season ticket allocation are better

Ya agree alot not happy leaveing mchael park today iam in 312 right in the corner..had 307 for last few games.why as it changed?..there will be alot off complaining to county board next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Anyone complaining about where they are sitting is a muppet.

In's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Anyone complaining about where they are sitting is a muppet.

In's in.
    Lucky muppets......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Unbelievable, complaining about a ticket :rolleyes:

No, it was a poor Offaly team, not a patch on Tyrone, they caught Meath on the hop the year after their AI. Mayo played one good game that year - the very first one against Galway. They stumbled from there to the final playing particularly poorly against Sligo and Offaly on the way but weren't caught out until final day. The Mayo teams of the late 90s were hamstrung by a shocking lack of depth in the forwards - if they had managed to eke out an AI in spite of that it would have been some achievement.

Leinster was very competitive back then with Kildare,Meath and Dublin all winning or reaching All Ireland finals and the following year Offaly won the NFL title though they went downhill after that win. Should be noted that you didn't play particularly well against Sligo in last years Connacht final either however it didn't stop you from reaching the All Ireland final.

Like nowadays you had some decent forwards back then (Horan, McDonald,Nestor,O’Neill,Sheridan) maybe back then you needed a few scoring half backs?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Ass holes.... http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=261279888916

. gonna be a lot harder to get a ticket than I thought!

tacofries wrote: »
    Scumbags.... http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=261279888916

. gonna be a lot harder to get a ticket than I thought!

Scumbags is a bit of an over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Charging someone 7100 € ... in my books thats low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No, it was a poor Offaly team, not a patch on Tyrone,

The same Tyrone side that Donegal beat by 6 points in June and only struggled past Roscommon,Monaghan and Meath all div 3 teams? Tyrone for 35 minutes played well against Mayo however Mayo delivered their worst performance of the year yet still won pulling up. IMO the 1997 six point win over Leinster champions Offaly in 1997 was far greater win simply because they were better opposition.

Mayo played poorly in the 97 final and one Kerry forward more or less won the All Ireland for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Not really.

Syferus wrote: »
    Not really.

Well imo it is. It's exploiting genuine fans, thats for sure but hey its a free market, no one is getting hurt etc. Plenty of scumbags in todays society, i dont think ticket touts deserve the term.

Ive used touts a couple of times, didnt like doing it or like them but otherwise i wasn't getting into a game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Asshole would be more appropriate;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

tacofries wrote: »
    Charging someone 7100 € ... in my books thats low

Low price or low life?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement