Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Finally, the update that no-one has been waiting for!
    PS Blog wrote:
    Hi, everyone. The next PS Vita System Software Update (v1.65) will be released soon and will include the following minor enhancements:

A “Notification Alert” option will be added to Settings, so you can toggle alerts on or off
    “After 10 minutes” will be added to the time options under Power Save Settings
    An Arrow icon will now appear when PS Vita finds new activities in the LiveArea
    Caps Lock will be supported in the On Screen Keyboard

Don’t forget: there are several ways to update the firmware on your PS Vita:
    Select “System Update” under the “Settings” menu and download the firmware directly to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi.
    Connect your PS Vita to a PS3 or a PC/Mac and update via Content Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

EDIT: Never mind, ShaneU beat me by a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Jesus, nevermind minor enhancements - there are bugs that need to be fixed!!

As of 4:46am, v1.65 is live and available for download. Download size is 97mb

EDIT:
    Hidden Update on 1.65 FW
    *When you install a App or a Game it will show up a installing bar now, before you get installing.
    *New gamecard skins has been added for Vita
    *Wifi speed improved.
    *Near is refreshed more often
    *Background download while manually selecting sleep mode.

Also according to some users on the official forums, PS+ users can finally play their mini's on the Vita, Can an PS+ user confirm or deny this?

Also just a warning, I'm not sure if it was me being tired or not, but when I updated, games like Motorstorm RC didn't seem to respond as well as they did pre-patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wow, big patch there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Wow, big patch there :rolleyes:

Fo shizzle!

Btw getting confirmation that if you previously downloaded a PS+ mini, delete it and redoenload/install it and it'll be working

Apparently its been pulled.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently its been pulled.
    Where did you find that out cloud?

EDIT: never mind I see it wrote all over the blog and on the German twitter, I wanna know why since I have mine updated before it was pulled

EDIT 2: UPDATE: Sony has removed the PlayStation Vita firmware update from its servers due to it containing "a technical fault".

"For any customers who may have already downloaded the firmware, they can continue as normal," a statement on the EU PlayStation blog reads. "We will notify you once the latest system software update is available to download again."

Looks like my posts have the same track record as vita firmware for getting it right first time

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

Just in case the following is of interest to anyone ...

I've been on the lookout for a good case for the Vita since day one but couldn't find one. I had a checklist that pretty much every case I found didn't seem to match up to. Aside from the obvious I needed the case to
    • hold games
    • hold memory cards
    • offer suitable protection from falls
    • offer suitable protection from splashes
    • no risk of damage to the screen or analogue sticks when inserting/removing.
    In addition, I also had an interest in
    • providing storage for the charger
    • being small enough to carry easily
    Eventually I found this ...
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SO6212#features
    and amazingly it ticks all of the boxes, even the last two which would seem to be incompatible. It manages this as the storage pouch for the console itself attaches to the main case by velcro meaning you can detach and use that as a seperate smaller case when the need arises.

It can hold lots of games and two memory cards, and the smaller pouch also holds a small number of games and has plastic moulding to protect the analogues when you slide in.

There are two down sides though. It's only available in the US currently which means you have to import it. And as a result it's kinda pricey (cost me about 40 euro) but I guess you could say it's two cases in one.

If anyone is still on the lookout for a case and finds the features of interest, I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

If anyone is still on the lookout for a case and finds the features of interest, I would highly recommend it.

That looks like a very nice case alirght. I got the official sony travel pack case which I find very good aswell. The soft one rather than the hard glasses case type one. Came with a plastic memory card/game dolder taht fits in too. not sure if power supply will fit int here with it though. I find it good though but think I'll pick up one of the ones you have linked above eventually.

• Advertisement

Just in case the following is of interest to anyone ...

I've been on the lookout for a good case for the Vita since day one but couldn't find one. I had a checklist that pretty much every case I found didn't seem to match up to. Aside from the obvious I needed the case to
    • hold games
    • hold memory cards
    • offer suitable protection from falls
    • offer suitable protection from splashes
    • no risk of damage to the screen or analogue sticks when inserting/removing.
    In addition, I also had an interest in
    • providing storage for the charger
    • being small enough to carry easily
    Eventually I found this ...
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SO6212#features
    and amazingly it ticks all of the boxes, even the last two which would seem to be incompatible. It manages this as the storage pouch for the console itself attaches to the main case by velcro meaning you can detach and use that as a seperate smaller case when the need arises.

It can hold lots of games and two memory cards, and the smaller pouch also holds a small number of games and has plastic moulding to protect the analogues when you slide in.

There are two down sides though. It's only available in the US currently which means you have to import it. And as a result it's kinda pricey (cost me about 40 euro) but I guess you could say it's two cases in one.

I want that proper bad :pac:

FW v1.66 is apparently now out and replaces yesterdays botched release of v1.65. No noticeable difference to the features listed yesterday.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-04-sony-releases-playstation-vita-firmware-v1-66

UPDATE:Sony has now detailed a number of other minor changes in the latest update, listed below:

The [System Music] setting in Settings > [Sound & Display] now affects BGM in PS Store, near and Sign-Up screens as well as the Home menu.
    When searching for location data, users now have the option to 'Retry' and 'Cancel' when a failure occurs.
    A progress bar is introduced for application installation.
    A direct link to PlayStation Store is made available for new applications that users may discover on near.
    Users can now update data at any time within near, provided they are within the same location.
    The display time of notification alerts has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
    Functional improvements have been made in the following games and applications: Unit 13, Gravity Daze, near.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Have any changes been made to games that may be compatible with the Vita? Other PSP or PSone games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Otacon wrote: »
    Have any changes been made to games that may be compatible with the Vita? Other PSP or PSone games?

Nothing yet. Probably not until version 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

chrislad wrote: »
    Nothing yet. Probably not until version 2.

1234931504682.jpg

Its gonna take ages I bet, its been what, six weeks since the vita came out? :mad:

Otacon wrote: »

No, but it's probably worth mentioning that the issue preventing PS+ members from playing their free minis on Vita has apparently been fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

All they've said is that it'll be sometime this year.

Itching to throw some PSOne classics on it. Im really enjoying Persona2 on it at the moment.

Tbh I've been thinking about this alot, but I wouldnt be super surpised if they don't allow ps1 games on it in the end. while this would be a travisty, Sony (or any company for that matter) don't have to provide backwards compatability (look at Microsoft with xbox -> xbox360, nintendo with going to disc over cartridge and at that, different cartridges for each console, ps3 with ps2 games unless you're lucky to have one of the original ones). I'm hoping they stay true to their word and they will bring it, as i'd love to whip out Crash Bandicoot on that vita screen, but if it doesn't happen I won't be too upset either.

This is of course only my opinion.
    Also, I wish to god they'd bring out "The Legend of Dragoon" on the PSN. My god i'm dying to play/finish that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

EJ22 wrote: »
    Tbh I've been thinking about this alot, but I wouldnt be super surpised if they don't allow ps1 games on it in the end. while this would be a travisty, Sony (or any company for that matter) don't have to provide backwards compatability (look at Microsoft with xbox -> xbox360, nintendo with going to disc over cartridge and at that, different cartridges for each console, ps3 with ps2 games unless you're lucky to have one of the original ones). I'm hoping they stay true to their word and they will bring it, as i'd love to whip out Crash Bandicoot on that vita screen, but if it doesn't happen I won't be too upset either.

This is of course only my opinion.
    Also, I wish to god they'd bring out "The Legend of Dragoon" on the PSN. My god i'm dying to play/finish that game.

Vast majority of xbox games work on the 360?

Hmm so it seems ShaneU, I just assumed it didnt cos every game i tried wasn't god damn compatible.

Excuse my herpness

Another small addition, the time it takes the screen to go from on to standby has been extended to an optional 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So a 90mb patch, which gives feck all, come on Sony, you are better then that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

After watching the last few Episodes of The Tester... I seem to see plenty of adds about the whole playing your PS3 games on the move with your Vita... But you still can't do it?...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

After watching the last few Episodes of The Tester... I seem to see plenty of adds about the whole playing your PS3 games on the move with your Vita... But you still can't do it?...

Remote play, I assume (can't confirm). Mirrors the PS3 output over local wifi/PSN to Vita screen/controls, or at least that's how it's supposed to work/did with the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Wetai wrote: »
    Remote play, I assume (can't confirm). Mirrors the PS3 output over local wifi/PSN to Vita screen/controls, or at least that's how it's supposed to work/did with the PSP.

Yes I know but your suppose to be able to play your PS3 games on the PS Vita on the move... Also one other question, can you connect to the Private Network on Remote Play anywhere in the World?... I am pretty sure you can, but haven't tried it yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yes I know but your suppose to be able to play your PS3 games on the PS Vita on the move...

I think you're confusing two different concepts here.

On the one hand there's the ability to output the contents/controls of your ps3 game to your vita screen. This only works if you are close to the ps3 (wifi connection or whatever). This (in theory) should work for any ps3 game but it doesn't as of yet.

On the other hand, certain games have been specifically coded to allow you to start the game on ps3, transfer progress to vita and continue playing on that, then transfer back to ps3 later to continue again. I think wipeout and dungeon hunter (or whatever its called) can do this. But this is not a feature that is compatible with all ps3 games - they have to be specifically designed to do it.

........though I could be wrong here :pac:

This would likely be a long way off in coming, even if they get the funding to go ahead, but it's still interesting to learn that there is a developer with a decent pedigree with a good Vita game concept out there.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-05-star-wars-galactic-battlegrounds-dev-launches-kickstarter-for-pc-vita-space-combat-game

NB: This is NOT a Star Wars game, and that is NOT 'in-game footage' in the video, just in case anyone got excited/unimpressed respectively.

• Advertisement

I'm so gonna platinum unit 13 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement