Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 09 - British Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think this thing of giving a penalty for every collision is ridiculous and it'll ruin F1 if it continues. There's some collisions that need a penalty, obviously deliberate or malicious ones, or stupid driving.

But if it's just a locked brake or misjudging a gap, that's racing and it should be left alone.

Obviously it's subjective but I think Hamilton-type overtakes that don't work out often do deserve penalties as they're just long lunges. Schumi today just misjudged a line, it wasn't an overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Autosport wrote: »
    Anyone watchig the Forum??? cant wait for Horner to get there :D

Here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Interesting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

EnterNow wrote: »
    Red Bull, while team orders are legal again & there's no issue with that. Hats off to the BBC guy who interviewed Horner (name slipped my mind), he put all the right questions out & got nothing but coprporate bollox back from Horner. Webber isn't out of this years title race, but not allowed race for it against a struggling car with issues? Ok.

The interviewer made one key omission. Horner said that the team orders were to ensure the best result for the team but the constructors points would of been the same if Webber had passed Vettel.

McLaren keep getting their strategy & timings wrong. I just have this gut feeling that Whitmarsh does not run as tight a ship as Ron Dennis used to & I think that this is annoying Lewis & now Jenson as well. Lewis has complained that the time spent with sponsors etc is taking up far more time that it should or used to.

McLaren seem to be the good time team with Lewis & Jenson constantly involved in photo ops, publicity, stunts etc. When Dennis was in charge they were seen as being overly serious & focussed.

Ok Christian made some good points but Damon is making good points too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Autosport wrote: »
    Ok Christian made some good points but Damon is making good points too

They're being very soft on Horner imo, no-one has brought up the subject of his hypocrisy regarding Ferrari last year and what he just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ok well that ended up a complete waste of time

Total fcuking moron Horner

Did anyone really buy the BS that if it was Mark in front then Seb would be given the same instruction

My Arse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Check out ESPN Classic channel 429 on sky, free past british gp's all day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Mansell on the F1 forum: No penalty for Hamilton

:rolleyes: British racer on a British track with British steward, to be expected I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

:rolleyes: British racer on a British track with British steward, to be expected I suppose

Wheel to Wheel on the final couple of corners on the last lap

Sod the penalties i want to see more of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Discodog wrote: »
    The interviewer made one key omission. Horner said that the team orders were to ensure the best result for the team but the constructors points would of been the same if Webber had passed Vettel.

Great point. I suppose though Horner meant that if the two wiped each other out then there's zero points. Which is fair enough. But to leave the car with issues holding up a faster car, well, why not give Vettel the team order to move over if Webber is still in the hunt?
    They're being very soft on Horner imo, no-one has brought up the subject of his hypocrisy regarding Ferrari last year and what he just did.

Most people usually are, which is why I commend Ted today for the Ediie Jordan-esque real world questions.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ok well that ended up a complete waste of time

Total fcuking moron Horner

Did anyone really buy the BS that if it was Mark in front then Seb would be given the same instruction

My Arse

Horner is no moron, he's the real deal. To be honest, he's as much an employee of RB as Webber is & has to talk 'for the team' not for himself. So in that respect, he has one seriously tough job answering proper questions & I can only pity him having to spill out corporate/scripted ceral box type slogans.

I doubt Mansell has the authority to overrule the three other stewards. Still though, it was more wreckless than Schumachers genuine move/mistake...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well that was both a good race and a bad one.

1)The stop go penalties were a joke, ruined schumachers race

Completely agree. Even a drive through would've been harsh. You can see from the replays (front wheels turned in opposite direction to the corner) he aquaplaned into Kobayashi - racing incident.
    2)Vettle looked far from the invincible driver that some people think he is

He appeared to wear out his tyres a lot when he was under pressure to both put the foot down to catch up to Hamilton and go defensive against Webber.
    3)Ferrari look strong, hopefully will make the rest of the season interesting

Could be (probably) a result of the blown diffuser malarky. Hope the other teams can catch up as well.
    4)I dont like the new layout of silverstone

Having had the opportunity to drive both, the new layout is boring. Bring back Bridge corner!!

aaronh007 wrote: »
    He appeared to wear out his tyres a lot when he was under pressure to both put the foot down to catch up to Hamilton and go defensive against Webber.

Indeed, it's much easier to look after your tyres in clean air...which he spends a lot of time in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Having had the opportunity to drive both, the new layout is boring. Bring back Bridge corner!!

It all went wrong when Brands Hatch lost alternate GP's. I had the honour of sitting in the stands at Paddock Hill bend for 3 GPs as a child. You were sitting high up & the track was laid out like a giant scalextrex. I was lucky enough to drive the GP track a few times & it was epic.

Discodog wrote: »
    It all went wrong when Brands Hatch lost alternate GP's. I had the honour of sitting in the stands at Paddock Hill bend for 3 GPs as a child. You were sitting high up & the track was laid out like a giant scalextrex. I was lucky enough to drive the GP track a few times & it was epic.

As much as I love Brands, the facilities weren't the best. Same with Donington. Although they did attempt to upgrade the circuit and facilities though that fell apart quite spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good race, some nice overtaking by the McLarens

It's a pity the team orders thing is an issue, bit surprised Redbull told them to hold station, since it's slightly unsporting for the redbull image, McLaren seem okay leaving it to the drivers. It's not like Redbull can't afford to drop a few points :D

Pity about Button dropping out, good to see Ferrari win for a change but they did seem to sacrifice Massa a bit. Would have liked to see one of the top teams try a two stop strategy. Commentry not the best today from Brundle and Coultard, wish the five live commentry was an option on HD

Commentry not the best today from Brundle and Coultard, wish the five live commentry was an option on HD

Brundle is grand, when he's not having his sentences finished for him. Seems to be a curse of his. Actually Brundle I find very listenable & viewer friendly...himself & Croftie would make the commentators dream team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

...wish the five live commentry was an option on HD

+1 on this. I'm working on rigging up either an internet radio or a seperate UPC cable or even a Sat box to allow me listen to one (5 Live) and watch another channel (BBC One HD). Only problem is that BBC One HD is slightly delayed by 2 to 3 seconds so there's naturally going to be sync problems which is a pet hate. I would rather listen to Brundle and 'humourless' Coultard than get unsync'd commentary (and background sound for that matter).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

amacachi wrote: »
    It was funny too to see how Button was very little quicker than Alonso when he overtook him while Vettel tends to have a coupla seconds a lap in hand when overtaking someone.

Was it not Massa that Button passed? First at the very start and then again later on. I thought the only McClaren to go past Alonso was Hamilton.
    Great point. I suppose though Horner meant that if the two wiped each other out then there's zero points. Which is fair enough. But to leave the car with issues holding up a faster car, well, why not give Vettel the team order to move over if Webber is still in the hunt?

But what difference would that have made if Webber was allowed pass? Still the same points for the team. Why risk an accident and zero points for no extra reward? Much better to bring home another chunk of points and p1ss off your no. 2 driver.
    Brundle is grand, when he's not having his sentences finished for him.

That's very annoying alright. DC acting like an over excited kid jumping in all the time interrupting. Brundle and Croftie would be cool as you say. :)

Bit surprised by the general hate on here for Horner. A billionaire owner looking over your shoulder expecting nothing less than both championships, suspicious mid season rule changes putting you on the back foot, pit-stop problems and tyre troubles in a mixed up difficult race - I think it's very understandable the decision he made not to risk a collision. Championship points = millions of pounds so would anyone here not do the same with that pressure on your shoulders??

It is a team sport afterall. I would say they want to bag as many points as possible while they still have a car advantage. Exact same with the Schumacher years when Ferrari were dominating much more than the Red Bulls are now. Back your best driver, win the titles and then let them race all they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was it not Massa that Button passed? First at the very start and then again later on. I thought the only McClaren to go past Alonso was Hamilton.

My bad. Point stands though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I have never really "got" the attraction of Silverstone. Its flat and featureless and reminds me of a green Bahrain.

The three classics are Spa, Suzuka and Brazil. Canada and Australia also have excellent layouts promoting good racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Vettel was good on top gear, good to see him relaxed and having a laugh

Andrew76 wrote: »

Your right, as above my point stands though :)
    Andrew76 wrote:
    But what difference would that have made if Webber was allowed pass? Still the same points for the team. Why risk an accident and zero points for no extra reward? Much better to bring home another chunk of points and p1ss off your no. 2 driver.

Firstly, it would have lent a lot of credence to Christian "There are no team orders at Red Bull" Horner. Secondly, letting Webber past Vettel (who had KERS issues) would have shown us (and Webber) that Webber is still in the title chase would it not. The fact that they elected to allow a slower Vettel hold up a faster Webber sends a clear signal that RB believe Vettel is their only hope this year for the Drivers championship. I agree (ironically), that Horner made the right call without a doubt. I just take issue with the coprporate nonsense that's given as answers to real world questions.

Ted C - "Are there team orders at Red Bull, I thought there wern't?"
    Horner - "Blah Blah Blah, team team team, Blah".

Instead of:

Horner - "Of course there are, it's legal this year isn't it? Vettel has a clear advantage, & we chose to streghten his position."

I'd have full respect for the second answer. I have nothing but distain for coprporate bull**** that answers nothing though.

Andrew76 wrote:
    That's very annoying alright. DC acting like an over excited kid jumping in all the time interrupting. Brundle and Croftie would be cool as you say. :)

I honestly find DC very distracting, the laughing at his own jokes thing takes my attention completely from the race.

Jenson Button - "The left is not locked up guys" (and pulls in to retire)
    DC - "I think you'll find it's the right Jenson hahablurglehaha".

Yeah DC, I'm sure your a blast at parties dude :rolleyes:
    Andrew76 wrote:
    Bit surprised by the general hate on here for Horner. A billionaire owner looking over your shoulder expecting nothing less than both championships, suspicious mid season rule changes putting you on the back foot, pit-stop problems and tyre troubles in a mixed up difficult race - I think it's very understandable the decision he made not to risk a collision. Championship points = millions of pounds so would anyone here not do the same with that pressure on your shoulders??

It is a team sport afterall. I would say they want to bag as many points as possible while they still have a car advantage. Exact same with the Schumacher years when Ferrari were dominating much more than the Red Bulls are now. Back your best driver, win the titles and then let them race all they want.

Definitely agree with that. It may seem as Horner is a target of my above posts but he's really not. I actually have a bit of time Horner, he's a Red Bull employee & like all managers...they have to "become the company" in a sense. He can't give us his own personal views on things really, so it's quite difficult for him to answer questions. I still think his answers today did not do Red Bull PR any favours. Sometimes, blunt honesty can appeal to people, & I'm one of them.
    amacachi wrote: »
    My bad. Point stands though :pac:

Indeed :)
    Vettel was good on top gear, good to see him relaxed and having a laugh

Thought he was a good sport, nice chap with a good sense of humour. More stuff like that, it gives a better insight into the drivers that official stuff. Good lap by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Massa and Hamilton on the last lap for 4th was brilliant!

Fair play to Alonso he drove unreal, nice to see someone else win, hopefully the other lad wont be waving his finger as much in future races and we see a real title race for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Red Bull told Webber to maintain the gap and Webber ignored the order. If that was Ferrari the reserve driver would be racing in Germany. Webber is lucky Red Bull wont want any more bad press!

Its about time Ferrari won a race. Its a pity the keep sacrificing Massa, they could have had a few more constructors points. That's twice Hamilton is after crashing into Massa, i hope next time he stops being a nice guy and ends Hamilton's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have never really "got" the attraction of Silverstone. Its flat and featureless and reminds me of a green Bahrain.

The three classics are Spa, Suzuka and Brazil. Canada and Australia also have excellent layouts promoting good racing.

Silverstone is without doubt in the top three tracks IMO.

Silverstone, Brazil and Canada are top for me, Spa is a shadow of it's former self.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Firstly, it would have lent a lot of credence to Christian "There are no team orders at Red Bull" Horner. Secondly, letting Webber past Vettel (who had KERS issues) would have shown us (and Webber) that Webber is still in the title chase would it not. The fact that they elected to allow a slower Vettel hold up a faster Webber sends a clear signal that RB believe Vettel is their only hope this year for the Drivers championship. I agree (ironically), that Horner made the right call without a doubt. I just take issue with the coprporate nonsense that's given as answers to real world questions.

Ted C - "Are there team orders at Red Bull, I thought there wern't?"
    Horner - "Blah Blah Blah, team team team, Blah".

Instead of:

Horner - "Of course there are, it's legal this year isn't it? Vettel has a clear advantage, & we chose to streghten his position."

I'd have full respect for the second answer. I have nothing but distain for coprporate bull**** that answers nothing though.

Everyone knows there has always been team orders (even when officially illegal) so it's not surprising to hear him say they have none last year (maybe they didn't back then) while giving out about the Ferrari's but change his tune this year. He has to say that. It sucks for the fans when we get robbed a good fight but all the big teams do it and rightly so. Corporate nonsense is then norm for F1 teams, esp the big ones with more to lose. Whitmarsh and Domenicali are far worse imo.

I know I'm in the minority but I've a lot of time for Horner, relatively young team principal in with the big fish, always gives interviews good times and bad. Now his team has won the championships he's doing what he can to hold onto it, fair play.

If Webber wasn't being dominated by Vettel then I would agree they should be allowed fight it out until one becomes the clear favourite to win the title. But as much as I like Webber, when you have the likes of Alonso and Hamilton chasing you, history shows you really have to back your top driver while they have the advantage.
    Jenson Button - "The left is not locked up guys" (and pulls in to retire)
    DC - "I think you'll find it's the right Jenson hahablurglehaha".

Thought that was poor form alright. Indeed, Jenson's point still stood regardless. ;)
    I still think his answers today did not do Red Bull PR any favours. Sometimes, blunt honesty can appeal to people, & I'm one of them.

Me too, but corporate bs is always there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

kierank01 wrote: »
    Ok, so how were the top ten allowed to use inters rather than the tyres that they used on their fastest lap in qualifying?
    I believe they're allowed the option of inters/wets at any point. I think there was a race a few years back (possibly Brazil), but it was expected to rain shortly after the start so they started on a mix of inters and full wets even though the track was bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Was surprised to tickets to the new main straight for Sundays race with roving tickets for Saturday.

Fantastic experience. The atmosphere was amazing and I don't think anything could have prepared me for the sheer sound pressure level of those cars. Brilliant!

A few select snaps of the 1200 taken!

The sheer cornering ability is really demonstrated on the last shot.

270245_2012854838735_1164714496_31994055_7563222_n.jpg

263646_2012888719582_1164714496_31994159_1606123_n.jpg

264900_2012890279621_1164714496_31994161_7631272_n.jpg
    The start. Great start by Vettel.

264024_2012699274846_1164714496_31993595_4114816_n.jpg

262102_2012742155918_1164714496_31993675_34680_n.jpg

268390_2012744515977_1164714496_31993680_4766959_n.jpg

264702_2012747076041_1164714496_31993684_5085972_n.jpg

261660_2012748556078_1164714496_31993686_7956321_n.jpg

267699_2012743555953_1164714496_31993678_1283218_n.jpg[267457_2012773316697_1164714496_31993767_7663759_n.jpg

261814_2012738755833_1164714496_31993666_6092586_n.jpg

264716_2012747716057_1164714496_31993685_2440610_n.jpg

264604_2012756596279_1164714496_31993717_7214269_n.jpg

264641_2012766676531_1164714496_31993740_7809047_n.jpg

264179_2012711875161_1164714496_31993620_1777131_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Love your photos, you had a great view :D did you get to meet any of the drivers or even Eddie or DC ;)

Advertisement