Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions call to not pay mortgages

Options
  • 06-07-2011 7:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

:D At last! The Irish people are waking up to their Governments corruption and are calling for action for people to stop paying their mortgages and in return cause the banks to crash bringing the power back to the people.

This has taken too long to happen but come on people carry this out and teach these elitist gangsters a lesson for once and for all. Claim your country back and let Mr. Kenny know he is not a leader of the Irish but a servant who better listen before the **** really hits the fan in Ireland.

The Irish have had many chances to turn this all around but have had their heads in the sand for far too long to their own detriment. .To be able to stick your head in the sand you must be on your knees. Now lets all get these currupt IMF slaves on their knees and bring the banks also to their knees. They are thrwing people out of their homes and couldn't care less about the faith of the people or their families they are evicting.

What goes around certainly comes back around but this has taken too long to come back around. Start action NOW people and claim your sovereignty back. This could be your last chance to make a stand to protect your own interests and those of your kids for the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jesus wept. What bollix, people borrowed money to buy expensive houses and now want the rest of us to let them off the hook. Write off the mortgage but keep the house? Over my dead body buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What do you propose they do when they're kicked out on their arses?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

ehhh no, im struggling to pay my mortgage but ill continue to pay it because i dont expect anything for nothing and i certainly dont expect other hard working tax payers pay my mortgage. i made the decision to buy, i signed the papers, i will pay it back simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

ehhh no, im struggling to pay my mortgage but ill continue to pay it because i dont expect anything for nothing and i certainly dont expect other hard working tax payers pay my mortgage. i made the decision to buy, i signed the papers, i will pay it back simples

That is fair, reasonable and mature of you.

While I have some sympathy for those who are out of work, especially families who are struggling with large loans, it is astonishing the amount of people who want the banks/tax payers to reduce the mortgage to what the house is currently valued at. This is regardless of their ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm confused by the reference to "elitist gangsters" and don't know if you're referring to the government, the unions or homeowners.

Regardless, like man.about.town, as a grown-up who made a decision to take out a mortgage, I'll live up to my side of the bargain by paying it. The bank lived up to their side by giving me money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Heard the union guy on newstalk - made a complete mess of explaining things - basically said "the banks can afford it because we gave them bailout money" - no idea at all of the way it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

While I dont necessarily agree everyone in the country should just stop paying their mortgages, the government and banks need to tackle the situation that is coming in the near future about mortgage defaults.

People applied for mortgages, lack-lustre systems in banks, lack of decent government financial control, banks taking into account almost every conceivable income stream to couples whether justified or not (overtime, bonuses, renting out rooms) allowed them to have those mortgages and now the country has tens of thousands of Irish citizens struggling to keep their financial heads above water and thats all before ECB rate rises, bank rate rises, carbon tax, house tax, water tax, income tax increases, rise in the cost of living and whatever further cuts in pay that will come.

The government dont want these houses , the banks dont want these houses (unless we return to growth) and so I think its either a case of we play the waiting game until some sort of recovery starts to happen then the banks can move in and repossess homes to get the money back or profit on, and the government has to house the people anyway, or our gov tackles the problem and ensures people can afford to stay in their homes, but I wont hold my breath on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Heard the union guy on newstalk - made a complete mess of explaining things - basically said "the banks can afford it because we gave them bailout money" - no idea at all of the way it worked.

Do you expect anything more from a union?

Useless shower of gobsh1tes. Grasping at straws trying to seem somehow relevant to their dwindling me membership.

Bloody dangerous though, telling people not to pay their mortgage. I presume they offered to look after the long-term living arrangements of any member who gets thrown on the street because of this "advice/protest"??? *rolleyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

THe OP has now 2 posts, the other one about nixers, if the cash culture was reduced in this country we'd be in a far better state, with everyone paying a fair share of tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

This attitude of "I made a deal with the bank so I must honour it" is so delightfully naive and irish.
    Keep paying suckers,you're paying so that others don't have to.

• Advertisement

baaaa wrote: »
    This attitude of "I made a deal with the bank so I must honour it" is so delightfully naive and irish.
    Keep paying suckers,you're paying so that others don't have to.

WTF? Where does Personal responsibilty come into this? Should the state provide a free house to every citizen?

Ps contract law is neither naive or exclusively Irish

Uriel. wrote: »
    WTF? Where does Personal responsibilty come into this? Should the state provide a free house to every citizen?

It's my personal responsibility to look after myself and not the interests a private institution?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's my personal responsibility to look after myself and not the interests a private institution?

but surely it's in your best interests to pay back money you borrowed, rather than simply steal it?

Yes,but bowing to your masters like a slave is.
    We are famous for our stockholm like tendencies.

Do you accept that it is in your best interests to adhere to a legal contract that you have signed and failing to do so allows redress from the other aide which includes repossession of a property??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Aren't we bailing out the banks as it is, in reality not just loans for big developers but covering the a*rses of thoses with high mortagages.

but surely it's in your best interests to pay back money you borrowed, rather than simply steal it?
    Really?You think I'd be better off paying 300k to the bank for a gaff worth a third of that because why again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Anyone who took out a mortgage should pay it back. I call that taking responsibility for one's actions and being an adult. Ireland got into this mess by being reckless with other peoples' money, I don't think we'll get out of it by more of the same.

If the consequences of a 110% mortgages for John and Mary means that they will be in debt until they are in their 70s well then I hope their children (and grandchildren) look to them as an example and never, ever allow themselves for fall into debt.

Do you accept that it is in your best interests to adhere to a legal contract that you have signed and failing to do so allows redress from the other aide which includes repossession of a property??
    No,you know not my best interests.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    Anyone who took out a mortgage should pay it back. I call that taking responsibility for one's actions and being an adult. Ireland got into this mess by being reckless with other peoples' money,
    Lol,lol,lol so that's the definition of adulthood.
    Yes,we sure were reckless,we'll have to be more careful next time with the nice peoples money.
    Again,naive anybody?
    Should we chalk it up as lessons to be learnt and hope the grandchildren will learn from it?Big sigh at how naive naive is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Really?You think I'd be better off paying 300k to the bank for a gaff worth a third of that because why again?

1) you signed the contract
    2) it's not their fault you bought an overvalued house, nor that it has fallen in value
    3) you'll be black listed and not be able to get another mortgage
    4) they'll probably seize the house
    5) people won't view you as a lying cheating scumbag who's word has zero meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

Thoie wrote: »
    The bank lived up to their side by giving me money.

No they didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I assume all those that take part in these 'not pay our debts' protests will have a black mark on their credit report (missed payment), meaning that if they want to get so much as a new credit card, they'll have significant trouble in doing so? Missing payments should only be done by people who absolutely have to, as the result should be "can't be trusted with money - be careful lending to them in future."

A house is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it -- if you were willing to pay more than what anybody is willing to pay for it now, that's not anybody's fault except your own, and protesting about it isn't going to do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Fcuk me, so the union guy wants us to forget the facts that

(a) We wanted a house.
    (b) We said we'd pay for a house.
    (c) That we signed an agreement with a bank that if they gave us a certain amount of money we'd pay that same amount of money back.
    (d) That we're full grown adults who generally follow through on things we sign legal agreements for.

Let him call for non payment of mortgages all he wants, let him not pay his mortgage and then let him get kicked out of his house, I certainly won't shed a tear for him or anyone else who supports his viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

We are famous for our stockholm like tendencies.

No, that's the Sweedish you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

While I agree that a loan taken out must be honored in full I do believe there is some merit In this suggestion. I think it might be more appropriate to promote a reduction of the payment to the banks rather than a full withholding of the mortgage! For example if all these new taxes, charges and pay reductions happen in December end up costing me an extra 400 per month I wouldn't have a problem reducing my mortgage by the same amount each month. If this was done en masse it might focus the govts minds on tackling the bankers without loading it onto already struggling householders.
    Just my 2c!

2) it's not their fault you bought an overvalued house, nor that it has fallen in value
    Now we're getting somewhere.
    Some people say it is the banks fault- for flooding the market with cheap,lax credit thus inflating prices temporarily and ultimately crashing it long -term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Lol,lol,lol so that's the definition of adulthood.
    Yes,we sure were reckless,we'll have to be more careful next time with the nice peoples money.
    Again,naive anybody?
    Should we chalk it up as lessons to be learnt and hope the grandchildren will learn from it?Big sigh at how naive naive is

And responding to me with the puerile phrase of "lol" is just maturity defined isn't it. Further to that, I fail to see the point you're making to rebuke my take on things. Care to elaborate?

RichardAnd wrote: »
    And responding to me with the puerile phrase of "lol" is just maturity defined isn't it. Further to that, I fail to see the point you're making to rebuke my take on things. Care to elaborate?
    Certainly not after such a show of intellectual superiority,I know my place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Certainly not after such a show of intellectual superiority,I know my place.

the only thing you posted that makes sense

Advertisement