Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Thanks.

Just have an older model one and never knew this?

Do you have to hook something up to make it work?

A DVD :) So long as the car is traveling less than 5mph (so...stopped really) the video will display. Its called Video in Motion. Anyone who wants this disabled so they can drive and watch a DVD is an idiot, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

If your CAN can handle it, yes. Pretty sure BT can be added to any version RNS510.

Is there a way of checking if the CAN will work?

RNS510 bought and fitted!

Where is the best place to get the DVD for maps.
    Can it be downloaded and burned to a DVD will this work?

Also the steering wheel volume control is not working anymore!?

PATJOE wrote: »
    Also the steering wheel volume control is not working anymore!?

Need to re-code with VCDS for the new radio. Same thing happened with my RVC. Seems the Radio component memory isnt held in the car, but in the Head unit itself.

• Advertisement

Need to re-code with VCDS for the new radio. Same thing happened with my RVC. Seems the Radio component memory isnt held in the car, but in the Head unit itself.

Cheers, thats what I was thinking.
    Is it easier go to someone with VCDS or buy the cable and download sotware?

Any idea on the best way to sort maps.

Thanks again for advice

Cheers, thats what I was thinking.
    Is it easier go to someone with VCDS or buy the cable and download sotware?

Any idea on the best way to sort maps.

Thanks again for advice

You've a few options. A) Go to a garage and pay for the privilege, B) Ask around and someone with VCDS might be kind enough to help out, C) Buy the legit **** from Ross-tech for a few hundred quid, D) Buy a knock off from China (cant upgrade the software/cable) on the cheap but wait maybe a month for delivery.

As for the maps, ive not done it, but what ive heard is you get the disk, stick it in the car (key out of ignition), copy to the hard drive and wait. Takes a few hours im told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Take a look at the GPS Underground website. You'll find the latest maps there with V12 being the latest version I believe. Once you have the maps downloaded you burn it to a Dual Layer DVD as a single layer DVD does not have enough capacity for the size of the maps. From then its just a matter of sticking the DVD into the head unit and it will ask you if you want to use the disc or copy the contents to the HDD. Select copy and wait for about an hour for the update to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

As above, I got new maps downloaded from GPS underground aswell. It can be messy enough, but if you spend a bit of time reading on how to do it, you'll be ok.

Also bear in mind that on some units, in order to install latest maps, you will need a firmware update too, otherwise you can brick your unit.

Check out here for some of the updates OE or modified with different partitions.
    I believe on some units theres not enough room on OE partion for v11/v12 maps so you will have to modify the partions anyways.

http://www.rnsfirmware.com

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Installed an RNS510 in our 2010 Touran today. Took about an hour including the bluetooth module (9w7). Massive improvement over the RCD210 pile of crap that was in it. Only sad thing now is no rear speakers on this poverty spec, just have to turn it up louder :)
    Was surprised to see that the red DIS shows the navigation turns and compass, thought that only worked with the white DIS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

Zith wrote: »
    Installed an RNS510 in our 2010 Touran today. Took about an hour including the bluetooth module (9w7). Massive improvement over the RCD210 pile of crap that was in it. Only sad thing now is no rear speakers on this poverty spec, just have to turn it up louder :)
    Was surprised to see that the red DIS shows the navigation turns and compass, thought that only worked with the white DIS.

nice.. where did you purchase the parts ? thanks....

mada999 wrote: »
    nice.. where did you purchase the parts ? thanks....

Got both from ebay. The bluetooth module came from Poland and the unit itself from Luthuania. Both in perfect condition. Can PM you the sellers if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Did you need to code to get it to work on DIS? I installed an RNS in my car with the white DIS and the nav turns don't show up

Kagawa wrote: »
    Did you need to code to get it to work on DIS? I installed an RNS in my car with the white DIS and the nav turns don't show up

They only real coding I did was to set it to two speakers only, changing the workshop code from all zeros to the default 123-12345-123 or whatever as well. I did notice that the BAP setting was unticked but I just left it that way. I saw it mentioned for white DIS it should be ticked in my googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

Got both from ebay. The bluetooth module came from Poland and the unit itself from Luthuania. Both in perfect condition. Can PM you the sellers if you want?

yes please do

Selling an RNS510 if anyone looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What sort of bobs? How old are the maps?

jca wrote: »
    What sort of bobs? How old are the maps?

I think 2012, I fitted it but decided against it as I was going to fit reversing cameras but went with sensors instead and already have a new Garmin sat nav so no need.

€300 delivered

I think 2012, I fitted it but decided against it as I was going to fit reversing cameras but went with sensors instead and already have a new Garmin sat nav so no need.

€300 delivered

Very tempting price in fairness. If I buy will I need a gps aerial? Temptation always comes by when finances are tight..

Hi guys has anyone got a good condition Bolero for sale? There are a few on eBay but the strong sterling is making them very expensive. Maybe some of ye replaced a bolero with a columbus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jetta 11

Is this still for sale if so can you let me know what year it manufactured in and also what version it is ?

Yes its still available

20150903_095755_zpszdiotiyc.jpg

Thats not an RNS510

Sorry my mistake, googled the part number and comes up as an RNS2 Sat Nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jetta 11

Jetta 11 wrote: »
    Is this still for sale if so can you let me know what year it manufactured in and also what version it is ?

Sorry only looking for rns 510

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I have an old sat nav unit in my 2008 passat, i take it the RNS 510 would fit my car and it would just be plug and play with the antenna ???

Its a VW unit i have.

I have an old sat nav unit in my 2008 passat, i take it the RNS 510 would fit my car and it would just be plug and play with the antenna ???

Its a VW unit i have.

Nearly. Im not 100% sure, but it should be nearly plug and play. You'd need VCDS to tell the car you have a sat nav in it. It's a 5 minute job, but garages can charge nicely. Or a kind soul will do it for free/a fancy beer.

Nearly. Im not 100% sure, but it should be nearly plug and play. You'd need VCDS to tell the car you have a sat nav in it. It's a 5 minute job, but garages can charge nicely. Or a kind soul will do it for free/a fancy beer.

I'd be willing to provide fancy beer :D

Just have to find a unit now ! Should be an easier install as there's no antenna to fit !

I'd be willing to provide fancy beer :D

Just have to find a unit now ! Should be an easier install as there's no antenna to fit !

Why do you say there's no antenna to fit? Unless your car already has an antenna fitted, and cabled behind the head unit, you'll need the antenna.

Why do you say there's no antenna to fit? Unless your car already has an antenna fitted, and cabled behind the head unit, you'll need the antenna.

It has the antenna ! Its there from the current old unit.

This is the unit, i can't find the model number

https://www.google.ie/search?q=RN-S2+v12&safe=strict&biw=1024&bih=639&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIpq3X2sriyAIVxcAUCh1wEgMw&dpr=1#imgrc=RTF00Ja7GwK9WM%3A

• Advertisement

Same as PATJOEs so. Think they're a blaupunkt. A quick google shows a familiar looking GPS antenna connector. So you should be good to just swap them out. Not 100% sure about the coding though. Might plug and play, though the MFI on the cluster might not show navigation.

Advertisement