Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

That debate last night was a total fraud. I watched a little bit of it but couldn't stand it. First off to call it a presidential debate is a joke. If that is what it was well then where were the other 6 condidates. As it happens the so called commission on presidential debates was set up by and is controlled by the Republican and Democratic parties and they have been in control of this fraud since 1988 when the league of women voters the previous moderators since 1976 refused to continue saying that due to the demands placed upon it by both parties to accept them would be to perpetrate a fraud on the American voter.
    America plays the freedom of choice card all the time. Yet it's political system is a 2 party monopoly where the 2 parties kill off any competition and deny to the American public actual choice in who should represent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So it should be more like Ireland? In the children's referendum we will have spineless broadcasters giving the parties which hold 90+% of Dail seats half the air time, they will give the other half to a bunch of fringe lunatics who would struggle to get into three figures (100 votes) in any election, if they would even bother to stand for election.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

All I have to say about that debate is - Coal is a clean energy?

Really Mitt?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

fitz0 wrote: »

Really Mitt?

Really?

Not that I'm doubting your integrity or anything, but do you have the exact quote?

I just can't believe he came out and said:

"Coal is clean energy".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Really Mitt?

Really?
    Seriously? :eek:

Obama must have been piss-poor if Romney could come up with that nugget and still win the debate.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Obama must have been piss-poor if Romney could come up with that nugget and still win the debate.

And by the way, I like coal. I'm going to make sure we can continue to burn clean coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

US Presidential debates remind me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

ninja900 wrote: »
    So it should be more like Ireland? In the children's referendum we will have spineless broadcasters giving the parties which hold 90+% of Dail seats half the air time, they will give the other half to a bunch of fringe lunatics who would struggle to get into three figures (100 votes) in any election, if they would even bother to stand for election.
    Parties comprising 90% of the Dail seats were in favour of Lisbon, a percentage not represented in the popular vote. As much as I find it irritating to listen to morons defending their position with a quarter of a bad argument, I'd rather be able to decide between two sides of an issue (however bad one of them is) than be told what to do by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Isn't 'clean coal' an oxymoron? Spoken by a mormon.

Anyway. The transcript of the debate is here.

Quote from Obama:
    "You know, his running mate, Congressman Ryan, put forward a budget that reflects many of the principles that Governor Romney’s talked about. And it wasn't very detailed. This seems to be a trend."

Obama was so subtle at times, plenty of viewers missed his 'dirty digs'. I still have 'faith' in Obama. There has to be some reason he went easy on Myth Robme. (Obama never mentioned the 47% tape, Myth's tax returns, Bain or Seamus)

If only dogs could vote.

tumblr_mam59lOhjn1rdd7l1o2_1280.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd say this will be a laugh, it's on at midnight on Saturday and can be streamed live or be caught on demand on Sunday for just $4.95 (€3.79). Or just download it from your usual sources like I will. :)

http://www.therumble2012.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Unemployment rate is now below 8% for the first time since Obama took office 4 years ago. Bound to be a big talking point in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

He's actually right in relation to the coal. There are clean coals (i.e., smokeless coal brands) and more sooty smokey coals brands out there. I think burning of non-smokeless coals was banned in parts of Dublin, if I'm not mistaken - that's why the term "the big smoke" isn't valid anymore as there's less smog because of the ban.

Also, there're huge coal reserves around the Appalachian Mountains on the US East Coast. Seemingly Mitt wants to exploit these more thinking that they'll help make America energy independent, which is obviously a bit naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Smoke isn't all coals release. Hell, coal stations release more radioactivity into the air than fission plants.

I may have been a bit disingenuous in my post about so-called 'Clean Coal.' I know what Mitt was referring to. It's the Clean Coal brand being touted by energy companies Stateside that relies on capturing and storing CO2. This is the so-called clean coal. It's an utterly ridiculous concept aimed at mitigation (Mittigation) of greenhouse gases released by burning coal, smokeless or regular. Just because a fuel doesn't produce visible smoke does not mean it doesn't release gases. Burning any fossil fuel releases CO2. The idea is to capture the harmful emissions and store them underground. If this seems a reasonable proposition to anyone, I'd be surprised.

The Clean Coal initiative is essentially a very good marketing and PR campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Obama was so subtle at times, plenty of viewers missed his 'dirty digs'.

America tends to not do subtle. He needs to go for the jugular next time.

mitt-romney-big-bird-internet-meme.jpeg

He's scaring the children now. That's a bad Romney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Soft on Wall Street; tough on Sesame Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Precise Pangolin

to be fair, he was apparently joking, but he's just not good with joking.
    Perhaps this a scarier idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Some Funny or Die, Romney to lighten the mood .... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jimoslimos wrote: »

...he looked knackered, if the truth be told. Not the usual poise at all. Next time they'll probably have him on an IV of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nodin wrote: »
    ...he looked knackered, if the truth be told.

Well he does have a very demanding job ;)

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    ...he looked knackered, if the truth be told.

Well he does have a very demanding job ;)

Obama has to deal with Israel, Iran, Syria etc etc plus whatever issues in the US.

Romney is traveling round in the magic underwear tour bus knocking back the Kool-Aid like there's no tomorrow. ;)

Jon Hubbard (R-Jonesboro), has written a veritable treasure trove of derp-nuggets.
    Derp Nugget #1: Slavery was actually a blessing for black people.

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

Republicans trying to out-crazy each other. Have any of them claimed to be Jesus or Elvis yet?
    Putting King George's madness to shame.

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/10/06/arkansas-republican-slavery-was-a-blessing-for-black-people/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jon Hubbard (R-Jonesboro), has written a veritable treasure trove of derp-nuggets.

Republicans trying to out-crazy each other. Have any of them claimed to be Jesus or Elvis yet?
    Putting King George's madness to shame.

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/10/06/arkansas-republican-slavery-was-a-blessing-for-black-people/

Well he does word it terribly like most politicians but the main point I think he was making is this.
    African Americans are THE must successful, educated and have the highest quality of life of any other black people on earth. Does that excuse slavery, no but don't forget that black slaves are part of South America and the Caribbean. So would you rather be born a black person in say Hati or Cuba or a black person in Illinois or New York?

jank wrote: »

Well he does word it terribly like most politicians but the main point I think he was making is this.
    African Americans are THE must successful, educated and have the highest quality of life of any other black people on earth. Does that excuse slavery, no but don't forget that black slaves are part of South America and the Caribbean. So would you rather be born a black person in say Hati or Cuba or a black person in Illinois or New York?
    I didn't think anyone could even attempt a defence of that.

Well done jank, you win the award for Sweeping Statement of Silliness on a Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tumblr_mazlcu0Mpf1qjc7mw.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In a remarkable bit of life imitating art, you're making the same argument as Alf Garnett did, when he said slavery wasn't all bad, and where would Sammy Davis Jr be if his ancestor hadn't been dragged "kicking and screaming" up a gangplank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I'd rather be a republican black to sit atop the perch of this hierarchy of good blackness because, as we all know:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In a remarkable bit of life imitating art, you're making the same argument as Alf Garnett did, when he said slavery wasn't all bad, and where would Sammy Davis Jr be if his ancestor hadn't been dragged "kicking and screaming" up a gangplank.

Slavery is of course terrible and wrong but I fail to see how if one points out a small positive to a historical event that they are all of a sudden "defending" slavery. We should always examine the legacy of such events, rather than ignore it.

If I were to point out that the black death brought about the rise of the European middle class and the roots of the renaissance, does that mean I am a supporter of the plague? :rolleyes:

So again, am I right or wrong to state what I said about the quality of life of black people in the US. Liberia is a great place to live I hear!

Advertisement