Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage comics in you laugh you lose

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

rage comics are almost always awful. Not funny awful, just painfully bad.

Sad to say tho they should probably stay where they are. They'll die off eventually which will be a glorious day for YLYL !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Move them to another thread.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Sad to say tho they should probably stay where they are. They'll die off eventually which will be a glorious day for YLYL !

More than likely being replaced by a newer meme.
    Remember O RLY?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

CMpunked wrote: »
    More than likely being replaced by a newer meme.
    Remember O RLY?
    ;)

Rage comics are a special case. The fact that they are normally representations of real life situations means that every Tom, Dick and Harriette think they should share their 'hilarious' anecdotes, when in reality, it's more a case of "You're not funny and we don't care"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

People (including myself) are starting to post home-made, "meta" rage comics trying to take the piss out of their ubuiquity. They're equally as unfunny, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Definetely should get their own thread. yes, we know humour is subjective. but if you are just teling us something that happened to you today there is a very very very high chance it is not remotely funny or even unusual. it is therefore not likely to be funny to us. YLYL was brilliant in the start but has steadily been ruined by meme after meme. rage comics seem to have a staying power unlike all predecessors though.

in essense. theyre crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

...but if you are just teling us something that happened to you today there is a very very very high chance it is not remotely funny or even unusual...

Was this not the original idea, people make funnies in paint out of everyday scenarios that others can easily relate to? The problem now is that there are very few common, everyday scenarios left so most rage comics are either effectively reposts (but not reposty enough for an edit) or just not easy to relate to in the slightest.

Thinking about it now I change my vote, leave them in YLYL, they're dying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This argument is just going to continue for as long as YLYL is in existence. As has been said a few times, if you start segregating one type of funny picture, where does it end?

I think the argument to KEEP them in the thread is much stronger than the argument to get rid of them. "They're not funny", "they're annoying", "they're too long", "there are too many of them" etc etc...these are all opinions and at least one of them can be applied to most "fad" type pictures that appear in the thread. It's impossible to please everyone. If you get rid of the Rage Comics from the thread, in another few months there'll be another argument to get rid of some other meme.

The moderation of YLYL is good, I think endless discussions about it is going to ruin it. Keep it going just as it is IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Another thread for rage comics methinks. Most of them are straight copypasta from reddit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Most of the thread is from Memebase these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The way I see it is if this was before the era of the YLYL thread then rage comics would definitely have a thread of their own, much like the demotivationals, they are just that popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

cf06afce-ee6f-4050-9a3b-42b1a2f7dca2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

Just make another thread already! the voting speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

an incomprehensible, god awful comic

2prz2nd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Ones that are made by users should have their own thread, they suck.
    Someone, somewhere, makes everything in ylyl that isn't a simple photograph. I think it'd be a ridiculous stipulation that nothing made by a boardsie can go in there just in case it isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

danniemcq wrote: »

I guess that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

stercus / jfrmbray lets not take the discussion in here and turn it into bitching in you laugh you lose.

We should start banning people for bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

stercus / jfrmbray lets not take the discussion in here and turn it into bitching in you laugh you lose.

We should start banning people for bitching.
    This, for the love of God. A bit of banter can be funny as f***, but the whining is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

roar_ie wrote: »
    I think this is a good idea as you laugh you lose is starting to be dominated ruined by these comics.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Surprised people are against people making their own. my most thanked post ever was one I made up and posted in that thread. and surely every one of them is made up by people like us anyway.

but it is very annoying when people say "hey I made this be nice"

get f*cked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thanks, Doc B, they were old before they were new. I hardly check ylyl anymore.

And it's not a meme thing, because memes were a part of that thread from the start, it's that the same hoary old mspaint characters, the le this le that nonsense, and the concept that someone needs to shoehorn something totally mundane like pissing on the toilet seat into every single flippin' one, in the hope of being original when they aren't, is just unimaginative, and more importantly, Not Funny.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Leave them, the whole next big internet thing is cyclical so eventually we'll move on to something new. We've had Memegenerator then ragebuilder and so on to the next site. People's opinions of what is or isn't funny is entirely subjective so to exclude a whole genre of meme's from what is or isn't funny is from YLYL thread is an exercise in futility.

Ultimately if the mods have increased workload because of moving/deleting posts or reposts to their distinct threads then it's just being anal for no reason and creating unnesessary work. People are always going to bleat and moan, maybe add in you rage you lose (YRYL) to the title temporarily till it blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

They are past their sell by date, get rid of them.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Regardless of how this debate goes, this is most likely the end of Rage comics in AH, as most people will be somewhat self conscious about posting them from now on, no matter which thread they go in.

So goodbye Rage comics, you were pretty good til whingy people sat on large sticks and ruined the concept for everyone else... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

They should have their own thread. YLYL is getting infested with bad ones all over the shop that lets face it they are not funny to anyone but the creator.

Some of them are hilarious, it would be a shame that they are stamped out all together, but the problem is where there is one hilarious one 5 or 6 really sh1te ones follow it.

At least if they had their own thread the YLYL lose thread would stay for the most part funny. Nothing wrong with pics that aren't funny when the majority are but this infestation of non funniness if crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

danniemcq wrote: »
    ask facebook they do it over and over

Lol but facebook only do that to annoy you so you don't notice they're stealing all your info! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Ahhh here some of the funniest posts in YLYL are rage comics. They always get loooodsa of thanks (e.g. Today's POTD by Lizt). I think they're funny. If ya don't like 'em scroll over them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I clicked separate thread.

I actually do really like rage comics and it's not gonna kill me clicking on another thread if it means saving the YLYL thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement