Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage comics in you laugh you lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

An awful lot of the posts in YLYL aren't funny - not just the rage comics. Perhaps posts with less than <insert arbitrary number here> "thanks" after <insert arbitrary time-frame> could be deleted? It might encourage people to make an effort. And it would feel like "thanks" actually meant something for once...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Move them to another thread.
    Will a separate thread really stop the problem? I know for a fact that there is a lol-cats thread a couple of pages back yet YLYL is choc full of terrible, repetitive images of cats where the humour comes solely from their poor grammar. I appear to be one of the few who still has the ability to scroll past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ficheall wrote: »
    An awful lot of the posts in YLYL aren't funny - not just the rage comics. Perhaps posts with less than <insert arbitrary number here> "thanks" after <insert arbitrary time-frame> could be deleted? It might encourage people to make an effort. And it would feel like "thanks" actually meant something for once...

Wouldn't work. Sure you'd have seen it already by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm very much against this - YLYL shouldn't be segragated IMO. Rage comics are the target of peoples' ire at the moment, but once they're pushed into their own corner, how long before people start complaining about Advice Dog spinoffs (which are taking the piss at this stage, but it takes two seconds to scroll past), Bear Grylls, Dog Fort, etc.?

Also, people complaining about homemade rage comics - sure there are some bad ones, but there are some very good ones out there too. Why discourage original content creation in favour of images that most people probably saw on Reddit a couple of hours earlier?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Wouldn't work. Sure you'd have seen it already by then.

Perhaps.
    As things stand Person A posts, then persons B through Y have to read the post over the next [longer time frame].
    The other way:
    If person A posts then
    if it is funny then persons B through K might thank it when they read it, and the post is left there, to be enjoyed by the rest of the posters over the next [longer time frame].
    If it is unfunny and receives no thanks within a [time frame of judgement] then a mod could delete it, saving persons L through Y having to read it.

<optimism>Also, hopefully people would realise they are not funny, and would stop posting.</optimism>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've nothing against rages, but I think that the sheer volume of them warrants their own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why discourage original content creation in favour of images that most people probably saw on Reddit a couple of hours earlier?
    I don't see how it's original content, it's the same jokes told with the same images over and over again.

As opposed to the rest of the images in YLYL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'd like to see rage comics in their own thread precisely because I enjoy them, but I really can't be bothered to read through YLYL anymore.

I don't see why they shouldn't have their own thread, it makes sense that they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

One thing I think needs to be implemented in YLYL is instant bans for chat etc.. There has been a lot of that going on recently too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Like everything else, the rage fad will die eventually...it's probably already going that way since people are complaining of too much quantity and not enough quality.

If the rage haters show patience I'm sure their frequency in YLYL will eventually drop out.

I like the idea of one thread being a somewhat historical account of the trends of internet humour piling the good in with the bad and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Zulu wrote: »
    Move all meme related "humor" into a mememega thread, and keep YLYL as a thread dedicated to actual funnies.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    You should change the rules so that whenever a rage comic has the precursor, "Here's one I made myself" it automatically gets deleted.

Couldn't agree more with the above two posts.

Definitely move Rage and other meme's to their own thread.

Cianos wrote: »
    Like everything else, the rage fad will die eventually...it's probably already going that way since people are complaining of too much quantity and not enough quality.

If the rage haters show patience I'm sure their frequency in YLYL will eventually drop out.

I am definitely a rage hater, but I have never given out about it in the YLYL thread, i just skip past them, but its a fad that is showing no signs of dying out. Its been going a long time now, and its worse they are getting and more frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

First they came for the rage commics,
    and I didn't speak out because I didn't like rage commics.
    Then they came for the dog forts,
    and I didn't speak out because I didn't like dog fort.
    Then they came for the bear grylls,
    and I didn't speak out because I didn't like bear grylls.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

"If you dont like it scroll past it" is said alot but some of the rage comics are so long it takes forever to scroll past the crap. A lot of meme's are funny but these duck and frog ones etc are usually not funny and the poster usually has about 20 of them in the one post.

If they are kept in the thread there should be a limit to how many can be put in each post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I nearly always skip past the rage comics, find only a few funny

I always scroll past the longer ones

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The dip in quality of the vast vast majority of the self made ones is kinda killing the thread for me. Just personal opinion. No mod hat on. I just think some people really need to stop bothering their balls posting every little thing they made / think is funny. However I did say with the mod hat firmly back on that I'm not here to moderate humour where it is at all possible.
    If I weren't a mod I'd be firmly in favour of a "Get rid of the crap ones" approach.
    But then one man's crap is another man's dinner (ie human centipede) so that is unfortunately unworkable.

The poll is interesting as it indicates a lack of a landslide one way or the other really tbh.
    I'm somewhat against change for the sake of it unless the vast majority have a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

a 60% majority is a landslide!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As the guy who started the Demotivationals thread, I think my opinion counts for two!

:P

That thread has been going great for over a year now and we rarely ever see those pics in YLYL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I personally just think that people should be discouraged from pointing out what comics they made. It doesn't matter if you made it, if it's funny it's funny and people will reward you with glorious thanks likewise. "My first attempt at a meme" just screams "I MADE THIS. THANKS IT BECAUSE I MADE IT REGARDLESS OF ITS QUALITY, FRIENDS!!! :):):)"

In my opinion, bohemothic threads like YLYL will go through trends and phases where a certain type of meme will dominate, which will piss some people off and delight others. Setting up a thread just for meme comics sets a precedent where we may have to open other threads for, say, dog fort comics and Bear Grylls. Next thing you know, the forum will be cluttered with a spate of smaller threads, the original thread will become a shadow of what it once was and half of everyone's time will be spent policing YLYL for the wrong pics in the wrong thread.

My point is that the rage comics trend will probably die out when people get bored of it and that another thread just for them is probably unecessary. But if the majority want to start a new thread, who am I to stop them? ;)

Just who am I? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Let them have their own thread. Same with those autocorrect ones if they start becoming a nuisance too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Was there not a similar outcry against face swapping (that's the one that stands out to me) before? They died out when people realised they weren't getting thanks anymore as they were posted to death. And I think the same thing will happen to rage comics in the next month or two.

It's the flavour of the month, it'll go away, the thanks whores will move onto something new and equally as annoying.

As such, very against segregation of YLYL

So basically what Frada said 15 minutes ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

garv123 wrote: »
    A lot of meme's are funny but these duck and frog ones etc are usually not funny and the poster usually has about 20 of them in the one post.

You see, it begins. This is about rage comics but people are already piping up about what they don't like and how they should have their own thread. Frada's right, if they all get their own place then there'll be too many threads and the bitching about rage comics popping up in YLYL will only intensify and be a pain in the arse for the mods.

Humour's subjective but with internet humour, it's passing and changes with time. Some old memes that first came out, everyone found funny, then a little less, then annoyed people and eventually died out with everyone realising how naf they'd become (eg aybbtu).

It happens, dog forts had it's day, it's over, people move on without them cluttering up YLYL and it wasn't down to moderation. It was down to people's tastes. Even stricter moderation in relation to objective humour will just ruin it imo.

And I'll mention it again, the banning of personal made memes or rages is ridiculous. Some are rubbish, some are brilliant and original to this thread. What's the point in just constantly reposting from reddit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Ideally I reckon it would be a good thing to have seperate threads for memes/rage comics etc. but I reckon (given the amount of warnings etc that are still being handed out for quoting pics) that it would just put way more work onto the mods plates as undoubtedly they (memes etc.) will still be posted to the YLYL thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Good idea. Can we get a separate thread for every single other thing too please? Separate thread for anything to do with pokemon cause I don't like them. Separate thread for anything with a cat in it cause some people don't like them. Separate thread for facebook updates, lot's of people can't stand facebook. Separate thread for those i-phone auto-correct things, most of them are probably fake any way, plus not everyone has an i-phone. Separate thread for anything photo-shopped, we already have a photo-shopping thread might as well just stick them in there or something. Separate thread for comic book strips linked from places too please, isn't their a whole forum for spider-man and batman and japanese comics? So yeah either a separate thread for them or put them in the right forum altogether. Also a separate thread for celebrity photos would come in handy, tones of them in the thread now...

Then we can just be sure to stay on top of things so when the next type of picture becomes common or popular we can be sure to have a new thread up and running for it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

Let them have their own thread. Same with those autocorrect ones if they start becoming a nuisance too

+1

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I say leave em, but I don't care strongly either way. People have been complaining about the quality of YLYL for months now but it's still going strong, and is still one of the best threads on boards imho.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

ff8d3cc5-0311-4a2d-9e69-a920ed311f15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I don't usually vote in Boards polls...

....but when I do its to get ****ty Rage Comics out of the YLYL thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

convert this thread into a rage guy graveyard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kk7

get rid. ruining a good laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement