Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage comics in you laugh you lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

At first I hate them but some are getting funnier. Still, get them there own tread.

The aul Captain Picard pic best describes most of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

They are sh1t and should be contained in their own septic tank of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Move them to another thread.
    I'd hate to see the place getting segregated like that.
    It will pass people!
    Seriously, stop worrying.
    I thought Dog fort would never Fúck off but that's (thankfully) rare now!
    YLYL is working... why fix something that isn't broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I actually rather look forward to them in YLYL. Granted, there are friggin loads of unfunny ones, but for all the bad ones there are tons of gems.

If you move them to a dedicated thread, it means the average joe's like me who aren't 'furiously angered' by the Rage comics will have to have two threads open to see all the funnyz. Which is a pisser for work.

Also, I probably won't go into YLYL as much as there will be less new posts and that's what I love about when I haven't read it for about 3 days and there is loads of new pages.

I dunno... I can understand why people might want them segregated but like the proverbial bad farmer, I like all me eggs in one basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

what was the original reason demotivationals were moved to their own tread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

They always had their own thread, didn't they? I vaguely remember a demotivationals sticky from even before YLYL existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think there should be a separate thread for anything which can be made via ragebuilder or the like, so that would be rage comics and the memes of a random personality on a coloured background, or any meme where the sole idea is to add text to an existing picture... repeatedly...

People are very quick to say ban all memes, but they forget a meme is just an idea, so that would remove a lot of the shops etc. from YLYL. A flat out ban on memes would technically see a ban on any cute animal related funnies for example, or of course any emerging memes which may widely be deemed funny for so long as they are original.

Rage comics have run their course in the thread, plusthey are way too big for it. For those who don't enjoy them, or those who are just getting annoyed at the fact that there are no longer any truly original ones being posted, it's really bloody annoying to scroll through an entire page for one non rage post. On top of this it's creating a lot of chat from those who are sick of the site of the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

YLYL could do with a few more reposts if anything......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

They weren't as far as I know, I just started the thread back when I started posting in CVPL and they haven't really moved from the thread since then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65538526

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

YLYL is working... why fix something that isn't broken?

ask facebook they do it over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Rage was fun when it first appeared but I think the good material is pretty much all used at this stage. It's rare if one makes me smile nevermind 'lose'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They are sh1t and should be contained in their own septic tank of a thread.
    Agree 100%

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'd prefer if they had their own thread since there are just so many of them lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

Down with that sort of thing!........... but really get rid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I may be somewhat biased, but to be honest many of the arguments here for keeping YLYL as it is are well-structured, thoughtful and rational.
    I haven't seen one enlightening argument from the other side, I've mostly just seen things along the lines of "ragecomics are ****, get rid of them"

I'd hate for the final decision to be made by the poll, because I think it much more important that decent debate should be judged and weighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I may be somewhat biased, but to be honest many of the arguments here for keeping YLYL as it is are well-structured, thoughtful and rational.
    I haven't seen one enlightening argument from the other side, I've mostly just seen things along the lines of "ragecomics are ****, get rid of them"

I'd hate for the final decision to be made by the poll, because I think it much more important that decent debate should be judged and weighed.

The poll is moreso just to gauge opinion rather than an actual vote. Over 360 votes have been cast whereas only about 60 people have posted on the thread. I think good arguments have been made for both sides, so much so that I'm actually more on the fence than I was earlier.

I'm almost coming to the opinion that, the fact that this has been discussed here may reduce the number of rage comics in YLYL anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Definitely should be moved to another thread. They are not remotely funny in any sense of the word.

Whats even more frustrating is that I cannot express my hatred of them in graphical format without being a massive hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Ones that are made by users should have their own thread, they suck.
    Once I see, heres my attempt *scroll* Scroll* scroll*

Id just like to say how happy I am that dog fort died away. That crap was about as funny as Tom Hanks in Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I think they deserve their own thread.

Im not a fan, but I appreciate that humour is relative (for the record, I like exactly two ragebuilder comics on the entire thread; one about a spider repaying a favour with a sniper rifle; and another making a complete mockery of the whole ragebuilder "scene", which just decended into scribbles and swearing, which I p*ssed myself laughing at, so Im nailing my colours to the mast straight off. )

I love YLYL, really - I check it daily, and sometimes it's the only entertainment I get in the day (long story) - and while its still great, I'm just a little disheartened with, amongst other things, the sheer volume of "my first effort" memeposts that have appeared in it recently.

I dont really think that YLYL should be considered a sandbox for funny, and this should be one of the reasons for putting these comics into a separate thread.
    That way, people who like them can post the best they find from memebase or the chans or whatever in this new thread, and this core can be supplemented with self made creations.

That way, those who dig that stuff can thank it, and those who dont think its funny dont have to begrudgingly scroll past it.

Another reason for giving it its own thread is the element of creativity that is involved in making them, separating them from the cut-and paste dogfort / Bear Grylls etc, as well as the coloursquare memes like Philosoraptor, and so a seperate thread should plod along happily , kept alive by genuine fans of the meme (as well as those who WANT to post up what they pretended happened to them that day in 16 panel stick drawing form) all without it p*ssing people off who come to YLYL looking for a quick laugh.

Finally, A distinct thread might actually cut down on the amount of repetition in the form too. A huge amount of the "my first efforts" seem to be variations on a theme, which no matter how funny originally, stop being funny pretty quickly when they've been retold with slightly different faces for the fourth or fifth time.

In conclusionallityification, Im with the 60-odd percent who think that they should have their own thread. I think it would be good for YLYL, good for encouraging creativity (where deserved) and good for fans of the meme who'd have a home of their own.

And then they could make a 16 panel stick figure comic about it.

Most likely ending in : "Everything went better than expected!"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

and another making a complete mockery of the whole ragebuilder "scene", which just decended into scribbles and swearing, which I p*ssed myself laughing at, so Im nailing my colours to the mast straight off.

Don't suppose you've got that one bookmarked or anything, do you? Loved that one, made all the ****e ones worth it in the end :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's you laugh, you lose.
    If you laugh at 'something' be it rage comic or otherwise then it deserves to be included.
    Why not have a seperate thread then for;

WTF IS THIS ****
    DOG FORT
    BETTER DRINK MY OWN PISS

ETC
    ETC

Move 'em.

Most of them are funny, but the sh1t ones are really, really bad. This brings all the sh1tebags out from under their rocks, complaining about "unfunny" pics while quoting them etc. and giving out in general.

It is these people who should be getting rogered with the handle end of the ban hammer, as opposed to...
    Korvanica wrote: »
    ....instant bans for chat etc...

Chat can be grand, once its asking for/giving explanations such as the current one with the sniper. Even Tallon's spontaneous CoD outburst about which sniper rifle he had is acceptable, imo.
    Why discourage original content creation in favour of images that most people probably saw on Reddit a couple of hours earlier?

Very good point. There's the odd gem every now and then amongst all the poxy home-grown ones. It will be harder to find these in their own thread, but i'd still be in favour of moving them because half the time, its like there's a race on to post all the stuff from the front page of reddit or r/funny as quick as possible. Hence all the reposts within a matter of hours of each other. This is the real problem, imo.
    TI'm somewhat against change for the sake of it unless the vast majority have a preference.

Another good point. Fair play for asking the great unwashed for their opinions. Although it appears most the "pro" camp are conspicuous by their silence.
    Let them have their own thread. Same with those autocorrect ones if they start becoming a nuisance too

Autocorrect ones are the most unfunny thing on the internet because they are all so fake it's beyond ridiculous. None of them are real. None of them.

Also, dog fort is awesome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The thread is not entitled "laugh at every post". There's posts that you do and don't laugh at. There's posts that are and are not funny. So I see that as a major flaw in the "they're just not funny" or "real funnies" argument for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Leave it alone, it's grand. I hit the wrong option. Damn phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I say keep them in YLYL,

They are a fad and product of the time,

If anyone ever has the urge to look back over the pages,

You see the different periods of humor and it's nice to look back and go wow,

dog fort was a year ago,
    friday was the day before saturday,
    and so on,

I hated dog fort other people liked it, the same question was raised then should they get their own thread and it was better served they didn't

If you start breaking up YLYL into catagories it loses that charm of randomness.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

mehfesto wrote: »
    Just because people don't like them, doesn't mean they should be removed. I'm not mad on the Bear Grylls ones, but I seem to have enough mental capacity to scroll past them.

If you remove rage comics, why not remove and make individual threads for the text ones, bear Grylls, cyanide & happiness, facebook status'... etc, etc.

+1 - Keep 'em in YLYL

As other's have said, humour is subjective. Why single out rage comics? Just beacuse there's been a lot of them recently doesn't me they should be given the boot. Whislt I admit that there's been plenty of shíte, some of the funniest posts have (imo) been rage comics and there's tons of stuff I'd rather see gone (the identi-kit Bear Grylls ones first please)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

allanb49 wrote: »
    I say keep them in YLYL,

They are a fad and product of the time,

If anyone ever has the urge to look back over the pages,

You see the different periods of humor and it's nice to look back and go wow,

dog fort was a year ago,
    friday was the day before saturday,
    and so on,

I hated dog fort other people liked it, the same question was raised then should they get their own thread and it was better served they didn't

If you start breaking up YLYL into catagories it loses that charm of randomness.

THIS!

I love the ragecomics, the crudeness adds to the funnies.
    But i will agree that 25%* of all of them arent funny, but i never let that bother me at all.
    I just keep scrolling.

I can understand if you have a complete hatred for them and cant bring yourself to even look at them (that must suck). But this is the internet were talking about, theres always these kind of little subjective humor comics appearing all the time!

Also, what would constitute as a rage comic to most people?
    Just the 6/8 square comic such as this:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/381109/164895.jpg

Or all internet meme images, trollface, etc?

Dogfort was bloody hilarious at first, i nearly died laughing when i first seen it.
    Unfortunately adding in pictures of any dam animal in a combat looking environment ruined it. :(
    *percentage may not be 100%** accurate

**Percentage may be exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

The thread is called You laugh you lose so therefore rage comics are full of win!:D

Why dont mods just delete or hide pics that are not getting thanks, as in what they do for reposts. Say for example if a post hasnt got 5 thanks after 3 or 4 hours hide it. I only read posts with alot of thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gobo99 wrote: »
    Why dont mods just delete or hide pics that are not getting thanks, as in what they do for reposts. Say for example if a post hasnt got 5 thanks after 3 or 4 hours hide it. I only read posts with alot of thanks anyway.

That's a step too far towards moderating humour in my view. Also, I don't wanna start deleting my own posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

gobo99 wrote: »
    The thread is called You laugh you lose so therefore rage comics are full of win!:D

thats putting an incredible amount of unnecessary work on the mods to be honest.
    And also with the amount of reposts they edit, each page would probably only have something like 4 images.

I like to ignore the thread for about 3 days and then when im bored open it up to look at about 10 pages of funnies, if i had to scroll through posts edited with *not enough thanks edit* as well as *repost* i would crack up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement