Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage comics in you laugh you lose

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

YLYL is ruined by the awful Rage Comics. They aren't funny. You can't just scroll down to the next pic because it will just be another **** rage comic. A thread dedicated to just rage comics would be fine. Keeps us all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Move them to another thread.
    YLYL is ruined by the awful Rage Comics. They aren't funny. You can't just scroll down to the next pic because it will just be another **** rage comic. A thread dedicated to just rage comics would be fine. Keeps us all happy.
    yes but it is helped by the good ones.

If they're moved to another thread then it will just be the rubbish memes that the person uploading it thinks are funny but are blatantly unfunny.

Ultimately the issue is the people making them rather than the content and people will just start making memes again for the cheap thanks that they crave so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

It's great that this is finally getting attention. Whether you're into rage comics or not, their having their own thread makes it easier on everybody.

+ the vast majority are utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Perhaps as each meme reaches a stage 3 they could be quickly dispatched with and go to live on the farm or something. There must be some kind of code or tineye type magicness that could ease the mods job.

internetmeme_wm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I don't think moving them to a separate thread is a good idea. You're still going to have people posting them in YLYL so it will just create more work for the mods.

I hate the bear grylls drink some piss pictures but I manage to scroll past them. There are a lot of pictures that are posted that I personally don't find funny, so I just don't thank them. I don't understand why people can't do this with rage comics.

For me the issue is -where do you stop? If you split rage comics into a separate thread, what's to say you won't split auto correct, bear grylls, facebook pictures etc into separate threads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

lizt wrote: »
    For me the issue is -where do you stop? If you split rage comics into a separate thread, what's to say you won't split auto correct, bear grylls, facebook pictures etc into separate threads?

Personally, I think there should be a separate thread for advice animals too. I don't like the way YLYL hoovers up all the memes that I enjoy and find funny. I don't read YLYL anymore because it's too much of a chore to keep up with, but I love rage comics and advice animals and would like a thread where I could view these in isolation without having to trawl through YLYL to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'm starting to wonder if people are now deliberately posting crap rage comics to get them moved to a new thread. I don't generally mind them but there's some fierce shíte appearing the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Well if there's one thing this thread has taught me, it's not to bother trying to make my own rage comics.

tumblr_lfx3i001iW1qffb2t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Previously, I would go to YLYL a lot of the time,
    but with all of the rage comics I find myself having to just keep scrolling until I find something that isn't a rage comic.

At this stage it's basically 80% rage comics, should be renamed the rage comic/other funnies thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

The reason why not a lot of the FOR rage comics party has had their say in the thread is this:

4163f7d1-7051-4dd1-ab63-450520675b2e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

I like the clever ones, the format doesn't put me off or anything, but they are a little niche, and apparently pissing people off:P

For those who like rage comics: well gosh darn here's a whole thread of 'em!

For those who don't like rage comics: YLYL:)

So, move them into their own space, and everyone's happy!
    CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Over the last few days I've noticed a few rage comics get huge amounts of thanks, I think a lot of people are exaggerating the problem of unfunny ones.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Soooo....can we close this thread already???:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think they should get there own thread. They clearly annoy alot of people and the majority want them gone. I don't see the problem with them having there own thread. People who like them will still get to see them and people who hate them won't have to. I love the demotivationals and its not that much effort to click into a different thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Soooo....can we close this thread already???:cool:

Maybe. Hard to say really.

Perhaps we should have a poll and massive discussion thread about it before making any decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Not sure if this has been said but anyways. If we ban rage comics, then we should ban all comics and have a thread dedicated to comics if that was the case, which is stupid.

I personally get a good laugh out of decent rage comics, that saying there is bad rage comics but there is bad pictures in YLYL all the time, not everyone finds everything funny.

If you hate them so much just scroll down, it's not that hard. I personally don't find some things funny in the thread but I don't go bitching about them and crying to mods to have them removed.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Cant wait to see Rage comics pulled from YLYL, 60/40 is the current vote, when do they go?

What is
    banned1.jpg

Can we
    BanEverything_logo.gif

Wouldn't it be nice if we could
    3982080607_4dc9729015.jpg

But it's impossible to make everyone Happy
    128878282851495889.jpg

So
    why%20try.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

People are throwing about the word "ban" a lot in the thread.

Isnt the proposal to give rage comics their own thread (a la the Demotivator thread) if the majority wish , so that the people who like them can view them and thank them all in the one place, and the rest of those who dont like them dont have to scroll past them?

Its not really a ban, just a reclassification of a burgeoning meme thats (again, like the demotivational) not really showing any signs of slowing, and is displaying all of the quality control issues one would expect from a theme that has caught the public* consciousness and is fed by public* contributions.

(*As a rule, The general public arent funny. That's why comedians get groupies, and they guy in the pub who always has a "great story" to tell you about what happened to him today sits alone)

• Advertisement

People are throwing about the word "ban" a lot in the thread.

Isnt the proposal to give rage comics their own thread (a la the Demotivator thread) if the majority wish , so that the people who like them can view them and thank them all in the one place, and the rest of those who dont like them dont have to spend seconds scrolling past them?

Its not really a ban, just a reclassification of a burgeoning meme thats (again, like the demotivational) not really showing any signs of slowing, and is displaying all of the quality control issues one would expect from a theme that has caught the public* consciousness and is fed by public* contributions.

(*As a rule, I think the general public arent funny. That's why comedians get groupies, and they guy that I meet in the pub who always has a "great story" to tell you about what happened to him today sits alone or next to me:mad:
    )

FYP:D

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    FYP:D
    Hang on.
    (*As a rule, I'm not funny. However, I unlike many others, I actually know this, and therefore I'm not deluded enough to think I can make rage comics that people will laugh at.
    Others arent so fortunate with the whole "knowing they aren't funny" thing, and as a result, consistently and overwhelmingly blast any old dribbly sh*te out of their arse in a 4-to-36 panel ragecomic style, and expect the laughs to roll in.

On reflection, maybe 1 in 10 is worth posting, and maybe 1 in 100 is genuinely "hold your sides funny" , so enough is enough. If this stuff had its own thread, the self policing from genuine fans would ensure (through the vital currency of "thanks") that those who simply dont make the grade as far as funny is concerned would learn pretty damn quick that they're about as funny as weeping herpes sores, and they'd have to just show their piss poor unfunny stick drawings to their mummy for approval instead of me and everyone else who likes genuine funny. ("true story" , "here's what happened to me today", " my first effort" blah blah blah . Come on. Stop making excuses. no one cares unless its genuinely funny. And lets be honest here, 90% of the time it isn't. )

So in conclusion, with a separate thread, where real fans of this type of thing would patrol every day, funny would ultimately triumph.
    We've seen in this thread that fans of this particular meme have no issues with speaking their mind whether it offends or not, so those posters out there who tragically believe they have a gift for comedy would discover pretty lively that they didnt, and the new thread would eventually be eventually full of the funniest rage comics that kudos can buy.

Combine this with the fact that Rage comic haters would ultimately have less to whinge about, and even better, unfunny people would learn to stay quiet and stop foisting their stream of consciousness sh*te on everyone else, and its easy to see how everybody wins with a separate rage thread.

There. Re-fixed my own post :)

Hi Bondvillian,
    I'm not out to have a pop at you, but you must realise that humour is really subjective, as anyone who has ever gone through YLYL from start to finish can plainly see.
    Just look at the thanks received by Posters from fellow Boardsies for their (Rage or otherwise)contributions. No matter how 'bad' I think that some posts might be, whithout fail these 'bad posts' will have been thanked.
    There are vey few posts which remain Unthanked over a period of time.
    Personally I think that the Rage posts from 'first timers' has greatly contributed to YLYL. They give us all an insight into the funny mixed up world of our fellow boardsies, who might not be as polished or cultured as "professional" comedians, but thats not who YLYL was created for, was it?
    So come on , and lets keep it light and just appreciate that certain forms of humour will not always be 'our' cup of tea, but recognise that everyone has a right to their own sense of humour!, Agreed?
    And in case I get accussed of being off topic or loosing the thread(:)), Yes , I think that Rage comics should be left in YLYL and not have a thread of their own...otherwise, lets have a thread for Cyanide&Happiness( I love), Spider-man posts( I hate but manage to scroll past without crying) and pedo-bear posts ( which can actually make a person cry with laughter, ref page 1053/1054, best ever).
    I really could go for ever about this, as this poll has seemed to strike a nerve with me, but I'll pause for some mature contemplation.

Mr.W.:cool:

No pop taken.

I appreciate humour is relative, and I'm all for peace love and happiness. Check post #80 to get a clearer picture of my take on the situation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

First they came for the de motivationals
    I said nothing because I hate de motivationals

Then they came for the rage comics
    I said nothing because because I hate rage comics

Then they came in a sock and put it on my head while I was passed out at a party.
    I said nothing because they posted it on YLYL and I didnt want people to know it was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Actually, can Buzz Killington be taken out back and shot until over-dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I think I speak for everyone when I say get that fagg0t $hit the fu(k out of the YLYL thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

New thread keeps the Rage peepls happy and the rage haters happy IMHO....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think this thread has run its course. We're gonna discuss this in the mod forum (possibly while drinking champagne and pillowfighting) and we'll get back to yiz as soon as we've come to an agreement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement