Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 132 - July 2nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

great card

i think the silva result was on the cards, havin an iffy chin and tradin with a guy with a granite chin was always goin to go that way

fair play to tito, hes a goon but hes entertaining

carlos condit is class, very underrated, very good allrounder

What a card!

Njoukuane (sp?) was class and really showed awesome striking in his fight.
    I had Siver 29-28 too. 10-9, 9-10 ,10-9. He left it close though.
    Touch of class by Condit. Beaut of a sweep early on and the knee was epic.
    I strangely felt myself rooting for Tito. I don't have a clue why. Bader needs to drill sub defence from here on out. Isn't that his second loss by Guillotine?
    Leben KO'ing Wandy was surprising and disapointing. So much build up and then it lasts 27 seconds :(
    The title fight was pretty good too. I'm not a fan of Cruz' style but it's effective. Thought it was a lot closer than 50-45 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Best card of the summer by a distance. I couldn't watch it live but I did my best to stay away from the internet today. Great finishes and really exciting fights. Really, really bad loss for Bader, I'd say Dana was relying on him to send Tito packing so he could be done with his inflated fighter purse. Was disappointing to see Wand go out like that but I had a feeling it was going to happen. Sherdog tipped him to fight Jorge Santiago in their "matches to make" section. A lot of bollix gets written there but that fight would be really enjoyable.

The main event was a great fight and I personally enjoy a lot of decission fights. What irritates me is the stick guys like GSP and Fitch take for not finishing when tbh as skilled as he is I don't think there is one fighter at 135 that Cruz can finish. I have no problem with that as I love watching him fight at such a high tempo. The injustice of some fighters taking more stick then other for not finishing irritates me. I'd like to see an immediate rematch. As much as I love DJ, I'm not sure he's ready for a title shot. Although I do think one day he'll beat Cruz. Only fighter who can match him for speed. His speed also offers a different type of wrestling pedigree which I think Cruz would struggle to defend.

Also Rich Franklin is the second greatest middleweight to compete in the sport without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Me in bar over here (California): I like Chris Leben for this (to my mate).

Loudmouth American: This guy never seen Pride before? Wanderlei's gonna **** him up.

Me: Leben wins you buy me a beer?

Loudmouth: Done.

*10 seconds later*

Me: I'll have a Bud Light.
    You were doing well until you asked for Bud Light

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just watch the post fight presser

Tito: "I did wany Johnny Bones couldn't do and finished Ryan Bader in the first round"

GTFOT!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Anyone watch the G-Sot Vs Dos Anjos fight?
    Just watched online with no sound (so haven't didn't hear commentary or post fight interviews etc) but I thought it looked like an early stoppage by Yves Lavigne?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

UD to Siver? Madness. Absolute madness.

Also, which judge scored it 50 - 45 in favour of Cruz? Very harsh on Faber.

All in all though, what a great night of fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Everytime I see Tito, I hate him a small bit more and that grave digging thing was no exception!

You were really shocked by the grave digger? It made you hate him a small bit more? He does it after every stoppage victory (yeah its been a while). Stop hating.

Anyone watch the G-Sot Vs Dos Anjos fight?
    Just watched online with no sound (so haven't didn't hear commentary or post fight interviews etc) but I thought it looked like an early stoppage by Yves Lavigne?

No way. G-Sots head SLAMMED off the ground...Yves was on the ball there, excellent stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

stevemc01 wrote: »
    You were really shocked by the grave digger? It made you hate him a small bit more? He does it after every stoppage victory (yeah its been a while). Stop hating.

Sorry but i'll hate all I want :p Just made it double worse that it happened to Bader. Can't believe Tito's statement about Bones, No way does he deserve to fight him but I wouldn't mind if they set up a match next week just to get rid of Tito

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Sorry but i'll hate all I want :p Just made it double worse that it happened to Bader. Can't believe Tito's statement about Bones, No way does he deserve to fight him but I wouldn't mind if they set up a match next week just to get rid of Tito

I saw this and thought of you :)

titoortizgravediggercelebrationufc132.gif

Mods, I find the previous post highly offensive and wish it to be removed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really enjoyable card. Disappointed to see Bader lose, big fan of his buit he has a lot of work to do.
    I thought Matt Wiman won his fight and he was robbed. And the scoring of the main event was ridiculous too.

A really great card over-all, but it could've been ruined by the judges. Needs to be sorted out asap.

Dean09 wrote: »
    I thought Matt Wiman won his fight and he was robbed.

Na he lost 29-28
    Second round was so decisive it looked like he dominated but it wasn't 10-8 and Siver definitely took the first. If you watch it again (my 3rd time this morning) Siver defended all but one takedown, got his own td and was more effective in the striking. Third round was pretty even but Siver got the edge I think.

Na he lost 29-28
    Second round was so decisive it looked like he dominated but it wasn't 10-8 and Siver definitely took the first. If you watch it again (my 3rd time this morning) Siver defended all but one takedown, got his own td and was more effective in the striking. Third round was pretty even but Siver got the edge I think.

Well maybe "robbed" was a bit of a strong word to use. I had it 29-28.
    I watched it twice already and I still think Wiman had it won. He was more active and more effective in my opinion. I'm gonna watch it again when I get home from work today aswell.
    Fightmetric also scored the fight 29-28 for Wiman. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/3/2257191/ufc-132-results-fightmetric-reports-for-cruz-vs-faber-siver-vs-wiman

Dean09 wrote: »
    Well maybe "robbed" was a bit of a strong word to use. I had it 29-28.
    I watched it twice already and I still think Wiman had it won. He was more active and more effective in my opinion. I'm gonna watch it again when I get home from work today aswell.

Got Siver down for about 2 seconds in the third. Siver outpointed him in the third and Wiman's only offence was that takedown which wasn't very effective at all.

Ya I agree, watching it back Siver deserved the win, 2nd round just made it look a bit brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

No way. G-Sots head SLAMMED off the ground...Yves was on the ball there, excellent stoppage.

Ah right didn't spot that, I thought he looked like he was recovering quite quickly but I must watch it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ya I agree, watching it back Siver deserved the win, 2nd round just made it look a bit brutal.

Defo, it looked rough at the time, although when you rewatch it most of the damage is done by a handful of grazing elbows, I think it looks a lot worse than it was, no way could it be given as 10-8. Anyone else think Wiman was using his head to help worsen the cuts? In the 3rd I don't thing Wiman does anything to warrant winning it, he gets a takedown for about 20 seconds and spends all that time with his forehead buried on Siver's chest.

Very classy too by Wiman running off like a child afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah Wiman was rubbing head to head a lot looked wierd and didn't seem to benefit too much.

Must watch the Sot fight haven't seen it yet.

• Advertisement

BSL is very entertaining but talks a lot of ****e. However I do agree with his views on the judging of Wiman Vs Siver. Think he starts off on that one about the 4 minute mark. It also was just over 14 months ago that Ross Pearson destroyed Siver on the feet. He obviously has since lost to an under rated Cole Miller and didn't look great against King Fisher. Really looking forward to seeing him against Barboza. Seems like a great lad and a very exciting fighter with excellent hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

some good stuff there

anyone any idea what price njokuani was?
    ill assume he was longish odds on, i'd be disgusted
    if he was near evens after his war with barbosa last
    time and that's a class above winner imo
    didn't pay much attention to the prices
    luck was on my side with the condit siver double though
    couldn't call it myself,
    condit was certainly big at 11/10
    I reckon siver njokuani would be a great match up

guillard another fighter who imo is very close to edgar
    and maynard right now
    He's lethal fast, great to watch but im no fan of his

can't wait to condit in action again and hopefully that'll be
    against gsp and my own opinion is that he may be the
    one guy who beats gsp if he himself beats diaz which
    i think he will

mailburner wrote: »
    some good stuff there

anyone any idea what price njokuani was?
    ill assume he was longish odds on, i'd be disgusted
    if he was near evens after his war with barbosa last
    time and that's a class above winner imo
    didn't pay much attention to the prices
    luck was on my side with the condit siver double though
    couldn't call it myself,
    condit was certainly big at 11/10
    I reckon siver njokuani would be a great match up

I had a tiny 2.50 on Njokuani 8/13, Conduit 5/6 and Simpson 2/5 none of them were great odds but decent value. got just over a tenner back. The last event in 5 my accum/treble has been under 20 and only the second time I've won. Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Some weird-ass celebs were at UFC 132 it's become like courtside at The Lakers for these mugs - http://www.fightireland.com/2011/07/unusual-suspects-spottted-at-ufc-132.html

Well Kevin James is always at them, I remember seeing him at the final of TUF 1 with Forest and Bonnar. King of Queens is the best show on Comedy Channel but his films are usually crap. However Joe Rogan got me interested in this Zoo Keeper one as Joe will be the bad guy in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Well Kevin James is always at them, I remember seeing him at the final of TUF 1 with Forest and Bonnar. King of Queens is the best show on Comedy Channel but his films are usually crap. However Joe Rogan got me interested in this Zoo Keeper one as Joe will be the bad guy in it!

Cool, yeah to be honest I've heard Kevin James can actually strike too! Jenny Mc has been at a few but Bieber? Lil Jon? WTF :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

Cool, yeah to be honest I've heard Kevin James can actually strike too! Jenny Mc has been at a few but Bieber? Lil Jon? WTF :-)

I vaguely remember seeing a video of Kevin James dislocating his shoulder while training with Randy Couture. I think Couture smashed him into the mat.

I have only watched the Siver Wiman fight the once- I gave it to Wiman, but I completely see how under the current rounds and scoring system Siver could get the decision (I thought Wiman won round two by 1.5 points; Siver won the other two by a half point each. A second viewing might reveal otherwise though no round involved full score differences for me, but the scoring system is unbelieveably restrictive). Just a question to those who gave it to Siver - if it was a hypothetical continuous 15 minute fight (blow for blow exactly identical) with no rounds would you still say that Siver won 'the fight'?*

*BTW, this is not a challenge to anyones judgement, just a request for an opinion as I have not watched a repeat of the fight.

Anyone see the pay purse for this UFC, outrageous stuff!

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/ufc-132-fighter-payroll-ortiz?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bjpenndotcom+%28BJPENN.COM+NEWS+BLOGS%29&utm_content=FaceBook
    Main Card
    Dominick Cruz $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus) vs. Urijah Faber $32,000
    Chris Leben $92,000 ($46,000 win bonus) vs. Wanderlei Silva $200,000
    Dennis Siver $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) vs. Matt Wiman $18,000
    Tito Ortiz $450,000 vs. Ryan Bader $20,000
    Carlos Condit $68,000 ($34,000 win bonus) vs. Dong Hyun Kim $41,000

Spike TV Card
    Melvin Guillard $64,000 (including $32,000 win bonus) vs. Shane Roller $21,000
    Rafael dos Anjos $28,000 (including $14,000 win bonus) vs. George Sotiropoulos $15,000

Preliminary Card on Facebook
    Brian Bowles $34,000 (including $17,000 win bonus) vs. Takeya Mizugaki $12,000
    Aaron Simpson $34,000 (including $17,000 win bonus) vs. Brad Tavares $10,000
    Anthony Njokuani $16,000 (including $8,000 win bonus) vs. Andre Winner $14,000
    Jeff Hougland $12,000 (including $6,000 win bonus) vs. Donny Walker $6,000

How did cruz only get 40 grand being a current champ, wandy got 200k for 20 seconds and tito got half a mil :eek: no wonder he was so ecstatic.

• Advertisement

Nice payday for Silva. It'll be hard to retire with the prospect of further purses that big.

And that's some difference between Tito and Bader, no wonder Dana wanted him out.

Advertisement