Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

serious sam 3 is 7.99 till Thursday at 4pm pacific ( you work what time that is out)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I've been playing Don't Starve alot lately. Very fun game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I know what you mean, indie games rarely get my interest, when they do I'm hooked, but nothing there this time to really tempt me either..
    bpb101 wrote: »
    serious sam 3 is 7.99 till Thursday at 4pm pacific ( you work what time that is out)

Already got mine, haven't played any serious Sam in years, am looking forward to the mindless destruction!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bpb101 wrote: »

Sound. Thanks for the heads up. Just bought it.

PST is 8 hours behind us so midnight tonight.

3a1 title ported in a week
    Today's winner is

www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2OTM

• Advertisement

I've had it open in the background all evening. The games list was right beside my browser and didn't notice that

If HL2 and L4D2 are ported can't be long before portal 2 (fingers crossed)

Woop! Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Finally got my wireless sorted. Back in the linux world! Downloading all 22 games now available on steam :D L4D2 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

was practicaly frothing at the mouth yesterday trying to get steam installed on backbox linux, which is based on ubuntu 11.04,steam refuses to install on this version it has to be the next version up.

but a light at the end of the tunnel appeared last night-probably something thats very obvious to others but never to scruffles.:o
    had found out a easy way getting the steam client installed on ubuntu/ubuntu derived operating systems,in the form of this wiki-
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux
    -scroll down to the -with play on linux (POL) part.

theres also the desura client to which probably has more games available for linux than steam- http://www.desura.com/

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Finally got my wireless sorted. Back in the linux world! Downloading all 22 games now available on steam :D L4D2 anyone?
    bloodyhell,how have got the money for all those?:eek:
    woud LOVE to have L4D2,bet even if had the money for it this laptop woud crawl to its final halt.:p

Scruffles wrote: »
    was practicaly frothing at the mouth yesterday trying to get steam installed on backbox linux, which is based on ubuntu 11.04,steam refuses to install on this version it has to be the next version up.

but a light at the end of the tunnel appeared last night-probably something thats very obvious to others but never to scruffles.:o
    had found out a easy way getting the steam client installed on ubuntu/ubuntu derived operating systems,in the form of this wiki-

theres also the desura client to which probably has more games available for linux than steam- http://www.desura.com/

woud LOVE to have L4D2,bet even if had the money for it this laptop woud crawl to its final halt.:p

If you wait for steam sales you can get really good offers. I've a few games that I got in sales because the offer was good but haven't actually gotten around to playing yet :o

• Advertisement

PC Gamer. I acquired these for the past 6 years. 22 is my Linux count. I would also say to stop using 11.04, the support for it is gone. Its using an outdated kernel which could effect performance and driver support. Best bet is to upgrade to 12.04 LTS or even 13.04 (9month support). I am on 13.04 and find it alot better then 12.04 and shall remain on it until 14.04 LTS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The play on linux part involves running the game through wine. So the performance you get will generally be sub-par when compared to the native port that steam now offers.

Garys mod on linux is in the steam cdr but missing execute. released in a few hours id say

Anyone managed to get the HL2 cinematic mod working on linux?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get the HL2 cinematic mod working on linux?

Not tried. Are you having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Has anyone tried the L4D2 beta? Impressions of it? Was thinking of giving it a whirl this weekend. Never played the original though.

syklops wrote: »
    Not tried. Are you having problems?

Ah it says it needs episodes 1 and 2 but they're both marked windows only, so I haven't tried yet.

Has anyone tried the L4D2 beta? Impressions of it? Was thinking of giving it a whirl this weekend. Never played the original though.

You will be glad to know that L4D2 has the original L4D levels too. With that, I do not think they will bother porting L4D1 because of it.

All I want now is CS:GO

• Advertisement

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    All I want now is CS:GO
    any year now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Football Manager 2014 is great news for Linux and the future of gaming on Linux. Great to see big publishers getting behind Linux as a gaming platform.

I might actually invest in FM14 when it comes out. Never played them before.

Any sign of portal?

Yeah, portal is out. Get in there.

256448.png

^ Yes I totally want Call of Duy

Cause Call of Duty is a terrible series that lacks serious innovation.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, portal is out. Get in there.

Apparently just the Beta is out, and you can only get the beta if you owned Portal before.

When I read your post I was like :D and then I logged into Steam and I was like :confused: and now Im like :(

Advertisement