Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bpb101 wrote: »
    If they released something like half life 3 a week or 2 on Linux before windows, a lot of card core half life fans would jump ship quickly I'd say

That would actually be a genius move. They're heavily committed to Linux now, so moving gamers over would definitely be to their benefit (it's basically free testing for their own platform, which I hope is a massive success).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I think it will happen as soon as Valve/Steam has it's own linux gaming console - hopefully soon :) Delaying a good game for windows would push the sales of the console.

Imagine they didn't release HL3 on windows. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Khannie wrote: »
    Imagine they didn't release HL3 on windows. :eek:

That could backfire on them if they did that though... It would be ironic though! :D

It would be savage if they did give it to linux a week or two early though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Cliste wrote: »

It would be savage if they did give it to linux a week or two early though :)

well a boy can dream

• Advertisement

The first ever linux gaming pc pre built

Alienware, the brand once very well known amongst gamers for their high-end gaming PCs and was since acquired by Dell, has introduced their first (Ubuntu) Linux gaming PC.

The Alienware X51 from Dell now has an Ubuntu Linux option for gaming on Linux. Highlighted from the product page is using Steam for gaming on Linux.

The Ubuntu Linux X51 system pricing starts out at $599 USD and goes up to $1049+ for a higher-end model. The low-end model is powered by an Intel Core i3 3220 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 while the higher-end model is with an Intel Core i7 3770 and GeForce GTX 660. Yep, Alienware is using NVIDIA GeForce graphics backed by NVIDIA's binary blob for powering their Linux gaming rigs.

Those interested in more details on these Alienware systems with Ubuntu Linux can visit alienware.com/ubuntu.

also , done a check there. a windows 7or 8 x51 is $699 with ubuntu it $599
    however, you cant chose your operating system. When you go to the select a gaming desktop, it says build yours from 699 however under it asks looking for Ubuntu.
    Up the line there are a few minor tweeks. the $1499 windows models comes with 256ssd. the ubuntu $1049( yes i am aware of the near $400 dollar drop) has 1tb hard drive- not ssd. and the windows model comes with 16 - the linux model is 8gb of ram

however this is the homepage of alienware tonight248116.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just bought my first game in about 10 years. Half-life Opposing Force. Loved that game. No issues yet. I have hope that I may get to go to a Lan party with only a Linux box. This is a wonderful prospect!

I'll post up how I get on!

Btw, this is on Fedora 17.

syklops wrote: »
    Just bought my first game in about 10 years. Half-life Opposing Force. Loved that game. No issues yet. I have hope that I may get to go to a Lan party with only a Linux box. This is a wonderful prospect!

I'll post up how I get on!

Btw, this is on Fedora 17.
    hate to spoil the fun but if you have your old code card you still could have recovery your game on steam . by adding activating a product on steam or have it out with them on the steam support thing.I bought the half life game of the year thing decades ago- came with half life 2, opposing force. CS , half life 1 built on source and they were able to put them on my account as i had register them to some obsolete account

nevertheless, just a message to anybody who was in the same predicament.

they basically give you a code to be hand written on your code card and then ask you to send them a picture of it. takes a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hate to spoil the fun but if you have your old code card you still could have recovery your game on steam . by adding activating a product on steam or have it out with them on the steam support thing.I bought the half life game of the year thing decades ago- came with half life 2, opposing force. CS , half life 1 built on source and they were able to put them on my account as i had register them to some obsolete account

nevertheless, just a message to anybody who was in the same predicament.

they basically give you a code to be hand written on your code card and then ask you to send them a picture of it. takes a few days

I genuinely doubt i still have the code from over 10 years ago. Also, I want to contribute something towards Valves efforts of getting Steam running so smoothly and seamlessly on Linux. The excuse given for so long, by companies who didn't create content for Linux is that Linux users don't spend money. Valve made a gamble with Steam on Linux and I would like to reward that gamble. However, thanks for the tip, I will see if I still have the code for Blue Shift, by some miracle I think I may.

Giving hassle to the support team is definitely not on the agenda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

syklops wrote: »
    Also, I want to contribute something towards Valves efforts of getting Steam running so smoothly and seamlessly on Linux. The excuse given for so long, by companies who didn't create content for Linux is that Linux users don't spend money. Valve made a gamble with Steam on Linux and I would like to reward that gamble.

I've certainly made a contribution. I've already both way more games than I have time to play :o

• Advertisement

CS GO IS In testing
    Any year now :)
    www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM0ODM

edit
    left for dead might be on the move with and i quote "Left For Dead Xbox Dedicated Server" on the cdr on linux

i am going to say it now. I have a very funny feeling that left4dead 1 will be out before left 4 dead 2 - just a funny feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I got TF2 going today on my macbook :D

I installed Ubuntu, got the Nvidia graphics installed which was way harder than it needed to be.

Then I copied my files over from Mac so no need to download whole game again.

Performance was terrible running at about 25-30 fps similar to OSX really which is why I started out on this experiment.

Then I installed e17 (Enlightenment) and disabled all compositing when I started it up (it asks in a config dialog).

Start up TF2 and now I'm getting 80FPS :D

I'm surprised it made such a difference but then E17 uses almost no resources and Unity is a bit bloated especially since they disabled 2D support in latest Ubuntu for some reason.

Anyway I got a nice duel boot setup going now :D

thebman wrote: »
    I got TF2 going today on my macbook :D

I installed Ubuntu, got the Nvidia graphics installed which was way harder than it needed to be.

Then I copied my files over from Mac so no need to download whole game again.

Performance was terrible running at about 25-30 fps similar to OSX really which is why I started out on this experiment.

Then I installed e17 (Enlightenment) and disabled all compositing when I started it up (it asks in a config dialog).

Start up TF2 and now I'm getting 80FPS :D

I'm surprised it made such a difference but then E17 uses almost no resources and Unity is a bit bloated especially since they disabled 2D support in latest Ubuntu for some reason.

Anyway I got a nice duel boot setup going now :D

Suprised it made that much difference. Is your graphics card Optimus enabled? Maybe under Unity you were using the intel chip and under enlightment it was the nvdia chip

cs zero on sale for like 2.50 if anybody is intrested

Hi everyone,

We're beginning a new Steam Client Beta today. Here are the changes included in this build:

General

Added rate-limiting of Steam game downloads, via Settings -> Downloads
    Added "View" button to the downloads page for workshop items that shows you which items have been updated

Linux

Fix handling of http_proxy environment variable http:// prefix in some instances.
    Overlay enable hotkey now handles more shifted keys correctly.
    Most-recently-played tray menu will not have an extra separator if no games have been played.

Web Chat

Added a settings dialog where you can enable or disable desktop notifications, sounds, and timestamps. If you have previously enabled desktop notifications, you may need to enable them again.
    Fixed an issue where web chat would not attempt to reconnect if it became disconnected from the server.

Known Issues

Friends who are using Steam for iOS or Android will show as "Online" instead of "Online on Mobile Device".

Finally my friends

LEFT 4 DEAD 2
    Next week

www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1OTI

the first game i believe that is coming on on linux at the same time as mac and windows. http://store.steampowered.com/app/236730/
    page is full with all system specs as well as all you would expect. Some game on linux are not mentioning their specs. its nice to see when they are putting new games up that include linux they are putting up all the details

a drop this month
    252109.png

http://steamdb.info/linux/
    looks like portal is coming soon

• Advertisement

portal 1 is LIVE

WOOP! That's my bank holiday sorted. :D

edit: Installing now. Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it. I had it installed through wine years ago, but never played much of it for whatever reason. Native client + wife out with the girls tonight though. Win.

And portal 2 apparently

And portal 2 apparently

Wasn't earlier. I was checking the price and there was no penguin. Has that changed?

I see a portal beta but nothing about portal 2 showing up for me

Khannie wrote: »
    Wasn't earlier. I was checking the price and there was no penguin. Has that changed?
    matrim wrote: »
    I see a portal beta but nothing about portal 2 showing up for me

Sorry sorry ,http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2Mzk this lead me astray. I I was original told about this on the steam linux hub, and then saw phornioxs story on it

PORTAL 2 is NOT ON LINUX YET- Mea culpa

i have a very strange feeling that CS Go will be out by the end of the month
    ( this is just me begin board and deciding to post random stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Not busy playing with the latest humble bundle then bpb? (which is back fully supporting linux!)

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    Not busy playing with the latest humble bundle then bpb? (which is back fully supporting linux!)
    havent got an intress in any of them games to be honest

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2Nzc

Advertisement