Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

A hammer solves all, as a mechanic you should know that!

It can solve a lot of things alright....but not removing mcgard lock nuts. They have an outer ring that spins freely so banging on a socket won't have any effect:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My Father has been driving my Focus, I went to change a tyre last week in work.... He'd put the locknut in a drawer in the kitchen at home for safe keeping :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

You got a pic of it?I might have a Ford lock nut which might work which is of no use to me.

It'll be tomorrow evening before I get a picture.
    It can solve a lot of things alright....but not removing mcguard lock nuts. They have an outer ring that spins freely so banging on a socket won't have any effect:(

You know your stuff mr doc!

You know your stuff mr doc!

That factory ford/mcgard lock nuts should look like these.....from memory there are something like 20-30 different key designs used by these when fitted by car manufacturers. Any decent ford garage should have a master set to open them for you.

mcgardlocknuts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Try and get a pic up asap so I can check, I'll be passing through Tipp tomorrow and all.Whereabouts are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Went to change the brake fluid and change a track rod end on the wife's focus today when the feckin security wheel nut opener thing broke so have no way of taking off the wheels until I order a new one from Ford. :(

Will probably have to pay a fortune for it too.

Helped the brother put new pistons and shoes on the rear of his laguna and bled his brakes so got something done.

http://shop.difflock.com/nutbuster-locking-wheel-removal-socket-185mm-drive-p-224.html

not a whole lot of use to you now but for future reference.

Had a similar problem a few years ago and was told by two motors factors that a hammer and chisel was the 'only way' and to 'kiss good bye to those alloys'

Two minutes on google and 4 days later by post problem solved and perfect alloys.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    http://shop.difflock.com/nutbuster-locking-wheel-removal-socket-185mm-drive-p-224.html

Had a similar problem a few years ago and was told by two motors factors that a hammer and chisel was the 'only way' and to 'kiss good bye to those alloys'

Two minutes on google and 4 days later by post problem solved and perfect alloys.
    Cheers, off to rob a couple cars :P

hoodie6029 wrote: »

Again, they are a little easier then banging on a socket but equally as useless on locknuts with a separate outer ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fitted the wheels to the Toledo, Fitted flexi wiper blades..fitted the obligatory German Plates LOL

53F3584E1BE042BB8531D6984C37A839-0000326183-0002683061-00800L-4A398B25FB8344C49042AAD4080C50F1.jpg

I think the Octy needs lowering :D

17's Vs 18's
    Some difference alright

372AF85915554FC1BDC7316EBFE64D68-0000326183-0002683057-00800L-CECA4D4A1DB2440E997C5A05FF1526CE.jpg

AE8F7157E1B44027BFD1A9E28A7BBC7F-0000326183-0002683054-00800L-9A85275006D946A19B8F1C6554ADB33B.jpg

Close :eek:
    296AA1D0917C49C3B2D1E22C89445963-0000326183-0002683052-00800L-EF0F58143ADD4969BE2AD6E036E75A6B.jpg

German plated also showing theCupra splitter

A323B6AD67DF4BCD92DCAAAAA53780E2-0000326183-0002683049-00800L-3B1215AADAF54439B5FE2527F2E200B4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Went looking for paint to refurb the stock Supra wheels I have, still cant decide on a colour for them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Went looking for paint to refurb the stock Supra wheels I have, still cant decide on a colour for them. :(

Keep it original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

EPM wrote: »
    Keep it original

Says he who sprayed his wheels about 2 weeks after buying the car

That factory ford/mcgard lock nuts should look like these.....from memory there are something like 20-30 different key designs used by these when fitted by car manufacturers. Any decent ford garage should have a master set to open them for you.

mcgardlocknuts.jpg

Thats them alright.
    Try and get a pic up asap so I can check, I'll be passing through Tipp tomorrow and all.Whereabouts are ya?

I'm at my parents in Roscrea.

These are the pictures I took

alloynut.jpg

alloy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

vectra wrote: »
    Fitted the wheels to the Toledo, Fitted flexi wiper blades..fitted the obligatory German Plates LOL

I think the Octy needs lowering :D

17's Vs 18's
    Some difference alright

Close :eek:

A323B6AD67DF4BCD92DCAAAAA53780E2-0000326183-0002683049-00800L-3B1215AADAF54439B5FE2527F2E200B4.jpg

Looks well Vectra, nice and clean too :)

vectra wrote: »

Should you not fit spanish plates?:P

I like the old Hi-ace in the backround, not many of them around now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thats them alright.

alloynut.jpg

alloy.jpg

Apologies,working nights and could only find the locking nuts themselves earlier as I was half asleep.in roscrea at the moment and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Says he who sprayed his wheels about 2 weeks after buying the car

The original colour to cure some kerb rash...and it was closer to a month...

Thanks anyways. Roscrea seems more popular than i thought but have no idea why! I'm off to Kenmare tomorrow and will be doing a lot of driving so hopefully won't get a puncture or i'm fecked :-(
    Thats them alright.

alloynut.jpg

alloy.jpg

Apologies,working nights and could only find the locking nuts themselves earlier as I was half asleep.in roscrea at the moment and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I did this
    Image1737.jpg

To change this
    Image1739.jpg
    Image1740.jpg

Then decided bigger and newer was better :)
    Image17411.jpg

As a result, I have a nice clean engine bay too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

@dgt, each time I see that you have posted in this thread, I hope to see pics of a gleaming Alfa V6, instead I got a Ford Fiesta... disappointed man...:D

• Advertisement

Don't worry, the Alfa will get the same treatment as the Fiesta in due time... ;)

But until then expect to see some of the other stuff appearing here too! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd say you could move that fiesta around like a wheel barrow with the engine removed :).

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd say you could move that fiesta around like a wheel barrow with the engine removed :).

We have a Seicento here, I can lift the back half of it off the ground :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

McGard nuts are a pain in arse. My key slipped when trying to take one off, resulted in me buying two more from Germany. Tried the new one, it slipped when torqued and started ringing itself. McGard(and others) told me drilling all 4 would literally take hours, most drill bits would just melt trying to get through them - and it would take several weeks for McGard to send me out a special drill bit set to get them off.

There are sets similar to the one posted earlier that basically 'screw' on to security nuts and can then be used to take the locknut off with a wrench, but people's experience of them on McGard were hit and miss and the few successful people required one of the screwnuts for each locknut as they didn't work when re-used.

I needed wheels off quickly, Atlas near Merlin welded a socket on to each locknut to get them off - took about 30mins and only had a couple of scorch marks on one wheel. Cost me €100 but I was in a rush and it was cheaper than the alternatives.

This might work for you: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19543&highlight=locking+wheel+bolt

McGard are just a **** design, any new car I buy will have them removed and replaced as part of the sale.

Ya as soon as I get them off I'm putting different security nuts on. If ford are looking for too much I might try the welding something to the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Tragedy wrote: »
    I needed wheels off quickly, Atlas near Merlin welded a socket on to each locknut to get them off - took about 30mins and only had a couple of scorch marks on one wheel. Cost me €100 but I was in a rush and it was cheaper than the alternatives.
    Ya as soon as I get them off I'm putting different security nuts on. If ford are looking for too much I might try the welding something to the nuts.

That s not a bad idea. If you have an old leather welders apron or something similar, try cutting a hole in it so it fits snugly over the nut. This should help stop some of the scorch marks and splash back getting on the wheel.

In my experience, the damage to mcgard keys is caused by a number of things, none of which is poor design.

Usually its either using an air gun to loosen/tighten them(the key, when new, has a sticker saying not to use guns on them) or not holding them flush on the nut when trying to loosen them with a wheel brace/breaker bar or whatever so they slip off the nut and get damaged.

I've used them on several cars for the exact reason that they are a pig to remove without the key and never had an issue with them(aside from being paranoid about loosing the key:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I blame it on some mechanics or tyre fitters raping them. They have a lower torque than the standard wheel nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

In my experience, the damage to mcgard keys is caused by a number of things, none of which is poor design.

Usually its either using an air gun to loosen/tighten them(the key, when new, has a sticker saying not to use guns on them) or not holding them flush on the nut when trying to loosen them with a wheel brace/breaker bar or whatever so they slip off the nut and get damaged.

I've used them on several cars for the exact reason that they are a pig to remove without the key and never had an issue with them(aside from being paranoid about loosing the key:P)
    It depends on your individual key design too. My key had one small corner that no matter what would slip when torque was applied(even while having someone push the wheel brace directly against the locknut while I turned it). Sure enough, with the two replacement ones the exact same corner slipped when I tried remove it. The problem was the security nuts were made out of bloody chocolate and too shallow. The previous car had these on it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUT-KEY-NUMBER-12-NEW-RRV100051-/290645659092?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43abd4cdd4#ht_1253wt_1396 and they were far, FAR superior though no doubt not as secure.

The McGards on my dads Mondeo are fine, but that uses a completely different wheel nut design(and much better imho!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Bad day today, lucky it was in the yard. The clutch stuck to the ground in the caddy. Straight out I thought it was the release cylinder, but on inspection I found this :eek: thats the clutch cable hanging there and if ya can make it out the pedel housing was welded up to keep it in place very dodgey work done. Have a new housing ordered from the local scrap yard putting it in tomorrow
    img0181nq.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement