Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Washed my car today, first since I got it 3 weeks ago.

Was lovely when I found out turning on the hose that the fitment at the end was broken and the trigger doesn't work anymore, it just sprays non stop. :(

I'm also annoyed at Halford's for not having the Karcher Foam Lance in stock, as I had planned on buying that and not sponging the new car at all. Ah well, looking up where to get it online for the evening. It's like minor car shopping all over again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

vectra wrote: »
    What did you seal it with?
    I bought the kit from local VW dealer.Attacking this job during the week
    Was it drivers side?
    passengers side front was definatly leaking. you could see the water coming in. rear footwell was worse do. water lying in it. use silicone to seal them up. hope it works.

what is the vw kit like? any part numbers or what price is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cheers, just ordered 250g of clay. No point ordering lube, water'll do just as well.

Confab wrote: »
    Cheers, just ordered 250g of clay. No point ordering lube, water'll do just as well.
    a small bit of washing up liquid or car shampoo will help luberication no ends.. also if your claying this time of year leave the clay in a jug of hot water while you are using it. helps keep it soft and easier to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Today I sorted:

- Front and rear offside doorcard - they were held on with duct tape on the inside. Glued them in place and they seem fine.

- Fixed the rear leather armrest into place.

- Found oil filler cap in the carpark, cleaned it. Removed the engine cover, sprayed with carb cleaner and left it to clean itself, then refitted once it was clean(ish). Very little oil lost.

- Electric sunroof now works after messing around with the fuses.

- Tyres are now at the right pressure.

- The fuel injector/emissions light went off after pushing as many plugs into place in the engine bay as I could.

- Glued the gearstick gaiter back into place on the gearknob, hopefully it stays.

- Set up the bluetooth phone connection and tested it, works fine.

- Joined alfaowners.com so I wouldn't be constantly asking Alfa questions here.
    Hey, was this the Alfa you bought? http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/156/2001-alfa-romeo-156-tax-nct/1123001

Regardless! Awesome purchase man! Well done. Nice to see you're working out the problems yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ordered these

CFGRILLS_E46_PR_1182793383.JPG

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Ordered these

CFGRILLS_E46_PR_1182793383.JPG

:D

+10bhp:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

10? Damnit, I thought they'd add atleast 30. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You always think things you buy online will add far more than they have any chance of doing ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sean1141 wrote: »
    passengers side front was definatly leaking. you could see the water coming in. rear footwell was worse do. water lying in it. use silicone to seal them up. hope it works.

what is the vw kit like? any part numbers or what price is it?

VW part
    This part number but it says 10 mtr
    My roll was only 5 mtr which should be plenty for at least the fronts.

AKD 497 010 04R10

I think it was about €25 as I got it with the Cupra splitter and both came to €55, Splitter was €30 I think

I wouldn't use silicon as it rust's metal like fcuk and other than that you could forget about taking the panel off for any internal repairs afterwards

• Advertisement

barura wrote: »
    Hey, was this the Alfa you bought? http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/156/2001-alfa-romeo-156-tax-nct/1123001

Regardless! Awesome purchase man! Well done. Nice to see you're working out the problems yourself :D

Yep that's her. I've named her Unity, for no particular reason other then I like the name and the car is going to be a union of many other parts by the time I get done with her!

.............. I've named her Unity..............

:cool:

not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My car (Integra) is called 'Mishka', we called the Civic 'Nicola' after the previous owner (big girl that he is) and my mk2 Golf was called 'Isabelle'. just I always associate that name with classy older ladies :D

Naming the car is a good thing, it makes it more personal to you or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I call mine car. My last one was called car too. As were the others before it. I like to continue the name.

EPM wrote: »
    I call mine car. My last one was called car too. As were the others before it. I like to continue the name.

Your car has no soul

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I name my cars based on the county of registration.

My first car was called Louise (Limerick reg), 2nd car was dervla (Dublin), 3rd car was Tina (Tipp North), 4th car was Cathy - funny story with this one. It was Cork reg'd and I couldn't pick a name with C so I typed the letters 22849 (end of reg plate) into a text with predictive text on and it came up with Cathy :D

My current car is Leah (Louth).

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Your car has no soul

I hope not because if someone called me some of the names I've called it in the past I'd be pretty offended.

I hope not because if someone called me some of the names I've called it in the past I'd be pretty offended.

Maybe that's why it hates you so much?

Maybe that's why it hates you so much?

You might be onto something there Batman.

Your car has no soul

Must.. resist ... Octavia joke...

• Advertisement

Eh dude, you drive am Alfa now. Pot/Kettle etc etc

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I just call mine the STD.

I love my STD. :P

You're always so witty with the Octavia jokes - go on make me laugh:p I've heard them all at this stage. And hey, no one pulled the piss out of your crud bucket Corsa might I add!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

if we could have EPMs spec in vectra vRS we'd have an octavia none could mock

You're always so witty with the Octavia jokes - go on make me laugh:p I've heard them all at this stage. And hey, no one pulled the piss out of your crud bucket Corsa might I add!

True, but the Alfa is ripe for unreliability jokes. Sure it wouldn't start the first morning I had it!

if we could have EPMs spec in vectra vRS we'd have an octavia none could mock

Don't worry, members here would find something to say

True, but the Alfa is ripe for unreliability jokes. Sure it wouldn't start the first morning I had it!

But that was your fault. A lot of Alfa problems are driver related!

VW part
    This part number but it says 10 mtr
    My roll was only 5 mtr which should be plenty for at least the fronts.

AKD 497 010 04R10

I think it was about €25 as I got it with the Cupra splitter and both came to €55, Splitter was €30 I think

I wouldn't use silicon as it rust's metal like fcuk and other than that you could forget about taking the panel off for any internal repairs afterwards
    its siliconed now anyway.:D never heard of silicone rustin metal before. :confused:

sean1141 wrote: »
    its siliconed now anyway.:D never heard of silicone rustin metal before. :confused:
    Ya, It's a bastrad for rusting metal..

• Advertisement

Ya, It's a bastrad for rusting metal..

we put glass in metal frames we made up before with silicone to hold the glass in place and its still perfect :confused: no rust on it

thats what seat done with any that went back under warentee. they just put silicone all around them..

is the kit you got rubber or sort of foam?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement