Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Thanks
    I hopefully wont be keeping the Octy long as im realy after a A6 Advant
    Shame as all the Octy needs is a new drivers seat,door card,light switch.

It was my mothers car for the last few years so i know its history well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

So, another project, fix and sell. In my hands came nissan micra k11, '97, with broken engine. well , i wouldnt buy it, once i had source of another engine, so i had, and bought that lil thing. 11 owners so far ... 140 k miles on clock, engine seized. by the way 1. litre, 16 valves. have nct till june 2012 and roadtax... on the way out, I paid for that 6 months .... 95 euro... not bad. so that micra stand for me 200 euro delivered to my house, donor car (neighbour of my workmate) , around same age - 50 euro (after use)with seems to be "good" engine. i didnt pay for that untill I'll be happy with that engine. just condition- ill have take off all lights and mirrors give back to owner, all rest is mine.... lovely.
    so my micra had seized engine ..... took off head... and discovered ...

Photo0066.jpg

3 cylinders up ... snapped conrod ... actually engine were overcooked , headgasket melted... it fell in parts when took off engine head.

so engine with gearbox off .... it was pretty light, so took off with my hands.

Photo0068.jpg

and prepare engine bay for another engine come in .... you may see engine at the rear left wheel.

Photo0091.jpg

yepp, engine goes in together wit gearbox.

Photo0093.jpg

when installed "new" engine, it started right away, but I discovered. kept car kept overheating, and white mayo oil on cap .... so called good engine headgasket need to be changed.... but otherwise were working fine, no smoke or anything.

Photo0095.jpg

At this stage got phone call, one friend interested in small car, for driving learning, as theory passed, and want small car .... offered this lil micra ... agreeded about price 750, which includes full service and warranty for a year.

... so took off engine head, and brought to engine workshop for skim and test . all test passed and skim done... all fine.... thats grand.

Photo0105.jpg

Photo0106.jpg

so, i put everything back , and proper torqued head bolts with right tools...

Photo0110.jpg
    ..... lot of things i learned how to do it, as camshaft cover went off 3 or 4 times, until everything went perfect.
    Dash shoved again it getting overheated, but at the end, we discovered faulty temp sensor, which replaced to new one, and it went fine.

Now everything went together -

Photo0114.jpg

Car got full service with two oil and filter changes, and sold to new owner.
    It is now around month over.... no calls from him, seems to be car still fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Now that's one fancy torque wrench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Today i did something to my car

I actually drove it ! two weeks since i seen it last and i finally have it back

Was told it was dealt with by Honda Europe !

They did major software upgrades and did many tests and they believe the problem is now solved.

If not then heads will be scratched ! (quote from dealer)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Turned 20k Kms in my car today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Photo0106.jpg

A sight to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's some job Mar4ix, fair play. If only my engine was that light so I could lift it out and work on it. I like that digital torque wrench too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well, I went ahead an bought a 2001 Alfa 156 1.8 TS.

Good points:

Taxed until May 2012
    NCT until Feb 2013
    Suspension is fine
    Recent service
    No rust
    Black leather interior (from a scrappie)
    New tyres
    Good radio with bluetooth, USB and SD card capacity
    Comfortable
    Bit of power

Bad points:

Headliner is sagging
    Fuel injector light is on since I accidentally flattened the battery last night and had to swap batteries with the Corsa
    Fusebox cover has come off
    Airbag light is on (occupancy sensor problem)
    Needs new water temp sensor (engine not heating up enough)
    Timing belt is due in 7000 miles
    Rear door cards are loose
    Steering wheel leather is in rags
    Paint needs a serious T-Cut, white paint spatter on the front and right side of the car

I paid €1350. Was I a moron?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Now that's one fancy torque wrench!

he he .. i got it 2 years ago, never used, it was first time :) it for torquing big figures, from 40 nm to over 200... small bolts were torquing with halfords mechanical one :) from 8 - 40 nm.
    A sight to behold!

yea ... not many car owners may see this side of engine :)
    Hal1 wrote: »
    That's some job Mar4ix, fair play. If only my engine was that light so I could lift it out and work on it. I like that digital torque wrench too. :)

Thanks. there is some companies who offering engine lifters for rent for descent money. something around 30 euro a day or for weekend(if you interested, may pm you). I were planing rent one of these, but at the end myself and friend managed put that complete engine unit with gearbox in car.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mkie

yes, you were, the car has clearly been through the wars, and alfas are muck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Confab wrote: »

Good points:

Taxed until May 2012
    NCT until Feb 2013
    Suspension is fine
    Recent service
    No rust
    New tyres
    Comfortable
    Bit of power

Bad points:

Headliner is sagging
    Fuel injector light is on since I accidentally flattened the battery last night and had to swap batteries with the Corsa
    Paint needs a serious T-Cut, white paint spatter on the front and right side of the car

You're complaining already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

there are an awful lot of 156's for sale, surely you couldve found tidier examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Seems a bit on the expensive side

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bad points:

Headliner is sagging (DIY job, cost = €0)
    Fuel injector light is on since I accidentally flattened the battery last night and had to swap batteries with the Corsa (Nothing if it's just a battery problem)
    Fusebox cover has come off (€5)
    Airbag light is on (occupancy sensor problem) (Not a major concern, but should be acheap fix)
    Needs new water temp sensor (engine not heating up enough) (Again, should be cheap)
    Timing belt is due in 7000 miles (The tax balances this out)
    Rear door cards are loose (Easy tighten)
    Steering wheel leather is in rags (€50 if you really want to)
    Paint needs a serious T-Cut, white paint spatter on the front and right side of the car (€8 for tcut)

No, seems like an alright deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Engine not heating up is almost certainly a thermostat. Quite a common failure with these cars.

Sure what used car doesn't come without it's niggles and small bits to make it perfect. I'd say it's a good deal once these items can be sorted for resonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Good points:

Taxed until May 2012
    NCT until Feb 2013
    Suspension is fine
    Recent service
    No rust
    New tyres
    Comfortable
    Bit of power

Bad points:

Headliner is sagging

You could have got one in perfect nick for similar or less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Just had a bit more fun sanding my car etc. I'll lash some paint on it in a bit, I need to get white spirits for me paintbrush. :o

Also, got a new windshield, covered by insurance, no stupid fsking sun stip any more! :)

Ordering T.Belt kit next thursday, with new oil and air filters, oil and coolant, and spark plugs. Merry christmas to me! :D And a proper tyre so I put the spare back in the boot! Then being broke for a week again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

EPM wrote: »
    You're complaining already?

I don't think it would be Confab if he wasn't complaining already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Good points:

Taxed until May 2012
    NCT until Feb 2013
    Suspension is fine
    Recent service
    No rust
    New tyres
    Comfortable
    Bit of power

Bad points:

Headliner is sagging

I certainly don't think you were a moron, so it has a few problems, so what this is a car that was bought for €1350 not a €30k saloon.. I saw the ad for that car and it looked really clean and nice interior too. The list of pro's easily outweigh the cons in my book anyway.

Well wear man! :D

• Advertisement

Seems a bit on the expensive side
    mondeo wrote: »

In fairness the tax is worth €300 ish. :)

Confab, what's a fuel injector light ?
    Please don't use T cut either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vectra wrote: »
    Turned 20k Kms in my car today :D

The high spec Blue one that came on the same boat as yours was in for its second service about a month ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mondeo wrote: »

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

R.O.R wrote: »
    The high spec Blue one that came on the same boat as yours was in for its second service about a month ago!
    What would that be at so, 60,000 odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness the tax is worth €300 ish. :)

Confab, what's a fuel injector light ?

It's a little injector symbol with fuel spurting out of it on the rev counter. It came on when I changed batteries this morning. Probably spurious. It's the equivalent of the 'emissions control' light. The airbag light is on too but I'll get a resistor on the passenger occupancy sensor and it should be fine.
    Please don't use T cut either :)

I have T-Cut but it's the half cutting compound, half wax one. Should I be using something else? Any advice appreciated.

Apologies for the moan lads, I'm really, really enjoying the car. It hasn't missed a beat after the battery incident this morning (my fault), the driving position is phenomenal and it feels like a sturdy car. In reality I knew this was going to be a 'project' car and the list above can be done over a year. I'm happy with it, the non-starting incident just made me a bit panicky. There's fair list of minor niggles, the first one was sorted today when after checking all the fuses the sunroof started working!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

enjoy improving all the bits and pieces, great to do on a cheap car :)

Get some super resign polish on. Great stuff, but takes a lot of elbow grease to work with by hand. A machine polisher would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I have T-Cut but it's the half cutting compound, half wax one. Should I be using something else? Any advice appreciated.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43269

:D

• Advertisement

I have T-Cut but it's the half cutting compound, half wax one. Should I be using something else? Any advice appreciated...............

cheers of the info about the light thing :)

If I was you I'd get a Megs quick clay kit, a decent (ish) polish and a decent (ish) wax. By ish I mean the likes of the SRP mentioned or the Megs own polish and wax, I went off SRP years back as the white powder resin I find a ball ache. tbh, I went off waxing, polishing etc completely :pac:

But a lash of claybay, polish and wax will be the way to go, you'll get it proper clean before waxing it, T cut is muck really :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement