Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I finally got a chance to sort out some niggles on the CRX:

- cleaned the windscreen until it was spotless. No more misty windows on cold mornings

- hoovered up the spiderwebs so the missus would stop giving out

- took off the momo steering wheel to find out where the scraping sound was coming from. Greased up everything and refitted the wheel only to find the horn was going off when I turned the wheel. Spent half an hour trying to figure it out and waving sheepishly at the neighbours who wanted to know what the beeping was about. No idea why it was happening, but refitted wheel and the problem disappeared. Steering wheel is super smooth and nearly silent. Thank feck - it was getting on my tits.

- took out the windscreen washers, poked them with a pin. Belt canned air through them, wd40'd then and refitted. Worked fine until I closed the bonnet. Discovered my new alarm is pinching the tubes against the bonnet. Moved the alarm and rerouted the tubes. Sorted - both work perfectly and aim is spot on. Being able to see where im going will be a novelty

Best part was when my 2 year old son came up to me:

Son: Oooooohhhhh. What's that daddy?
    Me: that's an engine son.
    Son: Wow! Me like engine!
    Me: *wipes away tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

How do you know?

Because I know from personal experience hunting for them. I have had a few Alfas and have a more then reasonable idea what this particular model would go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

vectra wrote: »

I thought the Octy had 18s, not the case obviously :)
    20k kms out of the original ones, did you rotate them at all or are the backs fine so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

mondeo wrote: »
    You could have got one in perfect nick for similar or less money.

I would doubt that somehow, sure it's an Alfa! Never going to find one in perfect nick, there's always gonna be something wrong with it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Eibach Pro-kit should be ordered this week, maybe some other goodies if I'm lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Any improvment on the road noise yet...

Only drove it a short trip but I did notice a few things

1) I could put the foot down in 2nd and 3rd gears with no wheelspin ( felt good )

2) Lighter feel to the steerting

3) appears to be much quieter but a longer trip will tell.
    Also feel I would need 2 on the back to get full results of a quieter drive.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I thought the Octy had 18s, not the case obviously :)
    20k kms out of the original ones, did you rotate them at all or are the backs fine so?

17's as standard. Could have spec'd 18's but felt they could be too harsh for my back issue

Rotated them twice.

10k > front to back

17k back to front

There is still a good 5/6k on the rears I would think.

Might not bother finding out and just put 2 more on instead.Car is worth more and a couple of tyres

Eibach Pro-kit should be ordered this week, maybe some other goodies if I'm lucky

The best mod I did to the CRX was Eibach Pros and Koni adjustables. Firmer without being crashy and uncomfortable. Great for a road car.

stimpson wrote: »
    The best mod I did to the CRX was Eibach Pros and Koni adjustables. Firmer without being crashy and uncomfortable. Great for a road car.

Well, it's actually nearly required in this case, one of the springs are broken so (and apparently the stock e46 springs all do it) so eibachs it is!

Well, it's actually nearly required in this case, one of the springs are broken so (and apparently the stock e46 springs all do it) so eibachs it is!

Judging by your location I'm sure you have a good selection of excuses ;)

I know I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Today I sold my old focus :D. So I'm happy with that. Always sad to see one go :).

Got round to finishing off my car today with Wolf's Body Wrap.
    Got the bonnet/2 wings and roof done during the week.
    I was happy to see those part were the only ones that needed a rince down with a hose.. They were spotless.
    Used CG P40 on the rest of the car to prep it and then a coat of BW,,
    CG wheel seal on the wheels, and Megs Tyre Gel to finish it off.

Happy now i got it finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Decided to treat some rust patches on one of my cars :)

Testing the sill...
    Image1632.jpg

Led to...
    Image1638.jpg

Discovering some total anus had stuffed filler in the sills :mad:
    Image1637.jpg

Treated the rust and painted up...
    Image1644.jpg

Got it welded ;)
    Image1645.jpg

And while I was at it I rammed a Fiesta onto its side :D:D:D
    Image1641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

vectra wrote: »
    Only drove it a short trip but I did notice a few things

1) I could put the foot down in 2nd and 3rd gears with no wheelspin ( felt good )

2) Lighter feel to the steerting

3) appears to be much quieter but a longer trip will tell.
    Also feel I would need 2 on the back to get full results of a quieter drive.

17's as standard. Could have spec'd 18's but felt they could be too harsh for my back issue

Rotated them twice.

10k > front to back

17k back to front

There is still a good 5/6k on the rears I would think.

Might not bother finding out and just put 2 more on instead.Car is worth more and a couple of tyres

Are you not meant to put new tyres on the back axle rather then the front when buying two?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dgt wrote: »
    Decided to treat some rust patches on one of my cars :)

Testing the sill...
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1632.jpg

Led to...
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1638.jpg

Discovering some total anus had stuffed filler in the sills :mad:
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1637.jpg

Treated the rust and painted up...
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1644.jpg

Got it welded ;)
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1645.jpg

And while I was at it I rammed a Fiesta onto its side :D:D:D
    http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Image1641.jpg

The pics were massive, so i changed them to urls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The pics were massive, so i changed them to urls.

I think theres 800x600 versions of those pics, could I use them instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Oil and Air on the Bora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

kiddums wrote: »
    Have you had a chance to test this out yet?
    I would love to do something like this to reduce the road noise in my heap of scrap agila.

Yes actually. I was waiting on a dry day so I could measure the road noise in the same conditions on the same piece of road.

Noise reduction of 11DB at 100kmh and it was noticable from the first drive. Stll loud compared to a car though as there are no B or C pillar panels or roof lining.

But I'll eventually be putting wider wheels on it so that will probably put the noise back to where it was anyway:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dgt wrote: »
    I think theres 800x600 versions of those pics, could I use them instead?

Sure thang

BX 19 wrote: »
    Are you not meant to put new tyres on the back axle rather then the front when buying two?

Some say yes.
    My back ones are good so I personally prefer new fronts to make sure I can stop if needs be in a hurry

• Advertisement

Car finally washed, woo!

And it's just starting to rain. Fúck yeah thats good timing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Not long in the door - today I installed an 2 aux fuse boxes (1 Live, 1 Ignition Switched) didn't get a final photo of it installed as it was to dark.

img0099large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Nice work, I hung a magic tree in mine to try to get rid of the foul smell after the car was flooded a month back in the monsoons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

sealed up a leaking door seal on the leon. then had to take up the carpet and dry the sound deadening carpet and floor underneath. pita job

sean1141 wrote: »
    sealed up a leaking door seal on the leon. then had to take up the carpet and dry the sound deadening carpet and floor underneath. pita job

What did you seal it with?
    I bought the kit from local VW dealer.Attacking this job during the week
    Was it drivers side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Today I sorted:

- Front and rear offside doorcard - they were held on with duct tape on the inside. Glued them in place and they seem fine.

- Fixed the rear leather armrest into place.

- Found oil filler cap in the carpark, cleaned it. Removed the engine cover, sprayed with carb cleaner and left it to clean itself, then refitted once it was clean(ish). Very little oil lost.

- Electric sunroof now works after messing around with the fuses.

- Tyres are now at the right pressure.

- The fuel injector/emissions light went off after pushing as many plugs into place in the engine bay as I could.

- Glued the gearstick gaiter back into place on the gearknob, hopefully it stays.

- Set up the bluetooth phone connection and tested it, works fine.

- Joined alfaowners.com so I wouldn't be constantly asking Alfa questions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Take any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Tinted the windows on my tray canopy on Saturday:
    IMG_20111126_124349.jpg
    rearwindowcopy.jpg
    Then added stickers so people I meet on the road will know I'm a blow-in. :D
    IMG_20111126_124859.jpg

I also got 4 Vovlo alloys for free but they're 5 lug and my ute is 6 lug. :mad:
    IMG_20111126_123819-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

EPM wrote: »
    Take any pics?

Not yet, still haven't had time to wash & wax. Anyone know where to get cheap claybars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Confab wrote: »
    Not yet, still haven't had time to wash & wax. Anyone know where to get cheap claybars?

http://www.cleancar.ie/detailingclay.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement