Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

That was the "bolt" and the size of the spanner with the gap in the axle for the far side. Absolute pain.

You needed one of these: -
    inerTieRodRemoval.jpg

Crows feet. Was invaluable when doing mine :)
    Can lend them out if you are doing the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I have a shed full of tools, tool boxes and generally tools lining the walls. And honestly, one can never have enough.

Edit: Thanks for the offer, but I got both sides done today :)

The steering is seriously tight now, very impressed. The only thing is the handbrake light is now on and it beeps three times when I turn the car on? One bloody thing after another.

Agreed. The more the merrier :)

They set me back a pretty penny but worth it.

I love investing in tools with the money I save on 3rd party labour etc.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Agreed. The more the merrier :)

They set me back a pretty penny but worth it.

I love investing in tools with the money I save on 3rd party labour etc.

Excuse the ignorance, but how does that tool work?

You connect up a 1/2" (in this case) to the square hole with a long extender.

That way you can turn it very easily while grabbing the rack with a spanner to keep it from turning.

(edit: - I never heard of it 'til I googled removing an inner tie rod end ;) )

• Advertisement

Strange. If I had it in my hand I'd probably understand it.

I was servicing a neighbours Clio the other day, got down to the sump nut and it was a square. Tried every tool in the shed and absolutely nothing gripped it.

In the end, I pulled one of the door handles apart and the bar inside worked a treat! I've since invested in a set of drain plug keys, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Brought the car in to the mechanic for my annual pre-winter checkup (do my own servicing)

Got the following done:
    • Diff Oil Changed
    • Gearbox Oil Changed
    • EGR Thermostat Changed
    • Headlight alignment (they were spot on, even though I had aligned them myself off a wall :))
    • Bushings and Balljoints Checked
    • Fuel Filter Changed

Was told that the two anti roll bars have a bit of play in them so I'll probably pop a couple on myself in the next couple of weeks.

Had debated getting the coolant flushed again as I checked it and its only good to -16, but I got it done in March and I don't think it will go below -16 this year.

No other issues, not bad for a car with 103k miles doing 500 miles a week on a mixture of road types!

I'm also itching for a fine day so I can get several coats of wax on it for the winter!

PaulKK wrote: »

Had debated getting the coolant flushed again as I checked it and its only good to -16, but I got it done in March and I don't think it will go below -16 this year.

Could drain out a litre and lash in some coolant for peace of mind :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Could drain out a litre and lash in some coolant for peace of mind :)

That's true, bit of a pain in the arse to get to the drain plug on an E46 though I think, and you can't get much out from the expansion tank :o

That's true, bit of a pain in the arse to get to the drain plug on an E46 though I think, and you can't get much out from the expansion tank :o

I just popped a pipe off the top of my rad and let it flow out and popped the pipe back on again!

• Advertisement

I just popped a pipe off the top of my rad and let it flow out and popped the pipe back on again!

Lol, messy, but effective!

Thanks, might do that so, I'd rather not be worrying about it :)

Lol, messy, but effective!

Thanks, might do that so, I'd rather not be worrying about it :)

Just be careful pulling the pipe off. Don't want to crack a bit of the plastic housing off :)

Just be careful pulling the pipe off. Don't want to crack a bit of the plastic housing off :)

Aye, it isn't unknown to happen I believe. Cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The only thing is the handbrake light is now on and it beeps three times when I turn the car on? One bloody thing after another.

That happened the Toledo of mine last week. Any idea what the cause or cure is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Handbrake sensor or the earth maybe?

vectra wrote: »
    That happened the Toledo of mine last week. Any idea what the cause or cure is?

Apparently it's brake fluid.

The only reason I can guess it came on is because my car is now at an angle (standard up front and coilovers at the back).

I'll check the fluid level tomorrow and report back.

Apparently it's brake fluid.

The only reason I can guess it came on is because my car is now at an angle (standard up front and coilovers at the back).

I'll check the fluid level tomorrow and report back.

I checked that and it appears to be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I changed the auxiliary belt tensioner on my Mondeo and learned a very valuable lesson in the process. The tyre iron I have in the boot doesn’t actually fit the nuts on my wheels:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I just booked it for its first NCT even though its not due until April. I want to get it out of the way. I did not think that I would be testing it when i bought it. Ah well fuk the celtic tiger...

Near side inner tie rod end on the Esty.

Better pic of the crows foot at work: -

crowsFoot_resized.jpg

Fair bit of fluid in the gaiter pointing to a fluid leak from the rack. Exact same as with the LS. Think I'll go with one of the sealer solutions this time. From memory they expand the rubber in the seals making them tight again. See how that goes.

• Advertisement

Is that a Bora? I got mine new for €9.50 each :P

Got my Abs sensor today, again, €9.50 :L

I'll throw that in over the weekend and book it in for the test... It's sitting at a hilarious stance now with the standard front ride height and low at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I just booked it for its first NCT even though its not due until April. I want to get it out of the way. I did not think that I would be testing it when i bought it. Ah well fuk the celtic tiger...

It's horrible being a commoner isn't it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

:o

Its my first bmw so there's a lot resting on it, if it turns out to break my heart I'll be back in a rusty old toyota before you can say "achtung!"

ACHTUNG
    !! :pac:

The E34 bangernomic that i bought in july broke my heart, so, I stuck it down the back of the yard :mad: and went and bought this on tuesday.

135k miles, fairly clean, NCT till 01/13, and a few bob left over from 500notes. Hopefully this beast will look after me!! :D

corolla1x.jpgcorolla1x.jpg
    corolla1x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

-Corkie- wrote: »

You'd want to wash it first. Was filthy speeding through Banteer today......laaaaaaad!

Got mine serviced, new pads front and back and the grill I made a complete testicles of fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

New Bosch wiper blades and xenons installed today, well chuffed!

x2.jpg

x1.jpg

Colour temperature is 5000k so its crystal white with only the tiniest hint of blue on the edges, so it looks completely factory. (Looks slightly yellow up close in the picture, white if you step away).

Got my Abs sensor today, again, €9.50 :L

Was that the cause of the 3 beeps and the light?

Is it an original part or Autofactors unit?

vectra wrote: »
    Was that the cause of the 3 beeps and the light?

Is it an original part or Autofactors unit?

Autofactors, I can get the brand if you like. I haven't the sensor put in yet, I'll be putting it in tomorrow/Sunday and I'll let you know. I'll be getting it scanned anyway to clear the abs light so if it throws up a fault I'll let you know.

My fluid is full too.

EPM wrote: »
    You'd want to wash it first. Was filthy speeding through Banteer today......laaaaaaad!

LOL

If you took the Mallow to Banteer road today then youi will have to wash your as well..
    Good lord..My one was filthy when I got home. washed it this morning and spent another hour taking off a half kilo of Tar from the damn road works going on there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

EPM wrote: »

Got mine serviced, new pads front and back and the grill I made a complete testicles of fixed.
    Pot ... kettle?! Yes - you were spotted too (or at least your car was)! And the poor Octy could do with a scrub! :P

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Pot ... kettle?! Yes - you were spotted too (or at least your car was)! And the poor Octy could do with a scrub! :P

I guess the reason being it could be connected to my above post.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement