Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mc Love wrote: »
    Amazing - must get me some of it!

Beautiful morning out there for cleaning a car! Cleaned mine the other day as well as the OH's sisters car - twas baltic

Heading out now to wash my one and probably give both cars a coat of Collie 845 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If I wasnt oncall - I would out washing the MIL-to be's car :)

Is it worth getting a DAS? Polishing can be quite a chore especially after washing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

vectra wrote: »

Right >> Here ;)

Cheers for that this will go well with my fog fight which is quality so far :)

Mc Love wrote: »
    If I wasnt oncall - I would out washing the MIL-to be's car :)

Is it worth getting a DAS? Polishing can be quite a chore especially after washing the car.

Everybody that would like their car to look well should 100% have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Gave my focus a quick clean today. I'm hoping to give it a wax and polish next weekend. At least I have it properly clean inside done that yesterday. I'm glad I got a red one. So many people have said they love the colour. Once I keep it polished should that keep the paint bright ? as I don't want it to fade like alot of the rest of them. Anyone recommend a polish something with a uv protector for the sun? I'm looking forward to giving it a proper clean next weekend.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    Gave my focus a quick clean today. I'm hoping to give it a wax and polish next weekend. At least I have it properly clean inside done that yesterday. I'm glad I got a red one. So many people have said they love the colour. Once I keep it polished should that keep the paint bright ? as I don't want it to fade like alot of the rest of them. Anyone recommend a polish something with a uv protector for the sun? I'm looking forward to giving it a proper clean next weekend.

What car is it?

I gave my car a wash > Wax > Wax wheels > Tyres dressed > Windows polished..

Might get a couple of pics up later.

What car is it?

I gave my car a wash > Wax > Wax wheels > Tyres dressed > Windows polished..

Might get a couple of pics up later.

It's a ford focus 2007 1.6tdci. It's red a picture below I'm fairly sure it's metallic paint.
    image-1_zpsfd56a560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Keeping it waxed and protected will stop it from fading. There's no real "UV protectant" wax unless you want to use suncream :pac:

Keeping it waxed and protected will stop it from fading. There's no real "UV protectant" wax unless you want to use suncream :pac:

I don't really know much about waxes and polishes as you can see. I think sun cream will be a bit extreme :D ill just keep it waxed and polished. Should I use any particular brand and where is the best place to buy. Thanks for the help.

I was joking about suncream, that'll only leave oily marks in the paint that are an absolute nightmare to get it if you leave them too long.

What do you mean when you say "polished"? Using an actual gloss enhancing polish (like Meguiar's Step 2 Polish) is a good idea to get a nice, dark red colour. A good wax to use would be Meguairs NXT 2.0/Meguiars Gold Class/Collonite 476. Most waxes offer UV protection so don't worry too much about that.

• Advertisement

I was joking about suncream, that'll only leave oily marks in the paint that are an absolute nightmare to get it if you leave them too long.

What do you mean when you say "polished"? Using an actual gloss enhancing polish (like Meguiar's Step 2 Polish) is a good idea to get a nice, dark red colour. A good wax to use would be Meguairs NXT 2.0/Meguiars Gold Class/Collonite 476. Most waxes offer UV protection so don't worry too much about that.
    Thanks for that. I know you were only joking about the sun cream. Thanks for the suggestions. Where is the best place to buy the products somewhere like halfords or is there anywhere online?

Halfords for the Meguiars stuff, I'm not sure of any online place to get that but the Collonite is on cleancar.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's a ford focus 2007 1.6tdci. It's red a picture below I'm fairly sure it's metallic paint.
    image-1_zpsfd56a560.jpg

That's Colorado red and its not metallic.

That's Colorado red and its not metallic.

Thanks I wasn't sure it's the first ford I've every had so I know little about them.

Thanks for that. I know you were only joking about the sun cream. Thanks for the suggestions. Where is the best place to buy the products somewhere like halfords or is there anywhere online?

This is all you will need.

http://www.cleancar.ie/britemax-vantage-wax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I can second that. Really great wax

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Did something to my car today all right, touched the kerb with my front left alloy. :mad:

First thing i've hit in the last year since I got them restored, forgot I was parked so close to the kerb and just turning the wheel scraped it. A very light scuff, still raging. :(

Did something to my car today all right, touched the kerb with my front left alloy. :mad:

First thing i've hit in the last year since I got them restored, forgot I was parked so close to the kerb and just turning the wheel scraped it. A very light scuff, still raging. :(

Noooooo..!!
    I was only admiring a pic of them earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Far from the end of the world as you can see, but they're all otherwise unmarked. :(

SC1_zps237bb700.jpg

SC2_zps46711e4a.jpg

More ragged looking when its on top.

Put some clear lacquer or clear nail polish on it to seal it up for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

:mad: sucks alright...I've done once since the refurb but thankfully I've 205's on the front so it's slightly more protected so I dodged a bullet there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Killinator wrote: »
    Went a bit mad and spent 3 days cleaning up the GTI, for no real reason other than to have her look well.
    First time using clay and wax, though I need to get some tar remover!

That's a great looking job with the GTi Killinator! what did you use on the engine bay? some body wax aswell or just soapy water and elbow grease?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Got the lads around last night for a 3 Stooges job on putting a regulator in a Micra door. What should've been a half hour job started at 8.30 and finished around midnight.

The motor on the new reg had a square socket, and were getting angle grinders and all sorts out to fit the old wire from the old reg with the round plug into it. Eventually checked the box. Would you believe there was a wire in there. Eejits, the lot of us.

Many lessons were learned.

^^^ good fun though was had no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Didn't do anything to my car today but yesterday I did order quite a considerable.amount of parts for her, just shy of €490 worth from the Alfa Workshop. Great service these guys have so I was happy to give them the business.

Have to do the discs and pads all round in the coming months too though which is another €200. Add in the monthly insurance and the tax next month and its looking like quite an expensive few months for the 156.

Really am trying to get it absolutely mint though because I feckin love my car. :cool:

166man wrote: »
    I feckin love my car. :cool:

Would never have guessed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

It's like the love a woman has for a limbless war vet,no one knows how she can still love him but everyone admires her love.That is the love Alfa owners feel...i imagine.

Would never have guessed :pac:

Lol smart arse...

I'm also waiting for the right V6 to turn up because when it does I'll be snapping it up quick. There was one for about €1100 a few weeks ago but it had injector issues and a dodgy gearbox.

No BMW's for me...:D:pac:

166man wrote: »
    Didn't do anything to my car today but yesterday I did order quite a considerable.amount of parts for her, just shy of €490 worth from the Alfa Workshop. ........

What did you order?

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    What did you order?

Off the top of my head

- Set of spark plugs
    - Left top wishbone
    - Air filter
    - Oil Filter
    - 2 x rear transverse arms
    - 2 x front track rod ends left and right.
    - Thermostat
    - 2 rear anti roll links

All OEM parts too. Shipping is about 3 days and costs about €25. Think I did very well, spark plug set in Motor Factors was €145 so got the original NGK's for £80 for example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement