Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's never really a success TBH. The only way to really ensure a good final secure finish is to key to death with scotchbrite, degrease, etchprime the chrome bits, plastic prime the plastic bits, then cover all that in a tough 2 pack primer, sand smooth, then satin black, and if possible a 2 pack matt lacquer on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

when i painted the chrome strip on the astra conzy i used very rough sandpaper to get most of the surface chrome off, then gave a few coats of etch primer. i know its at the back of the car but it still looks perfect almost a year later

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Painting is a pain in the balls... Ill try again after the exams, ill get some etch primer or just plastidip them

its the one thing where patience actually makes such a difference. the only feck up i made was due to impatience. its good fun when its coming along right though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

conzymaher wrote: »
    Painting is a pain in the balls... Ill try again after the exams, ill get some etch primer or just plastidip them

Do you want me to paint it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

My nilfisk C120 arrived today. Just waiting on my snow foam lance and then I can wash my car at home. So much easier. I still have to put it back together but I have so little time with college at the moment.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

+1 on the PlastiDip.

Leaves a good even looking finish and won't chip, plus if you get sick of it you can just peel it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Got a meta alarm fitted today. Couldn't believe it when I went to view the now mine golf gti that it didnt have an anti theft system :eek:

Spent 3 hours on the interior today. Hoovered every inch of it as it was in sh!t after the audio install. Solder and copper wire everywhere! Wiped all the interior plastics down and coated them in mickey arse ultimate dash & trim protectant. Took out the rear seats and gave them a good handwashing. Cleaned and hoovered the bench underneath also. Ran a female 3.5mm jack from the hu underneath the gear stick, drilled a hole in the trim piece under the handbrake and glued the jack underneath it so now it looks tidy enough. Waiting on the full fascia kit and speaker adaptors for the front component speakers so the front door will be getting taken apart next week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fixed my rear bumper this evening, was hanging off. Bolted it on and used a bracket from my bike to hold it on inside. Love the way the car is bolted together using big heavy brackets instead of clips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wheels wrapped in 195/50/15 and on the car.
    I'm loving it but it needs to come down, the front looks so high.

1669a0ce962911e1a92a1231381b6f02_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm loving it but it needs to come down, the front looks so high.

1669a0ce962911e1a92a1231381b6f02_7.jpg

Yep would look a million times better if you lowered it a few inches. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Is that an original side strip Cian? Nice wheels btw,wouldn't go too mad on the lowering, those wheels will fill the arches nicely without making it look like a hovercraft!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My god I'm wrecked! I took the day off work to get a good chunk of the car corrected. Started at 10 this morning, only sitting down now.

I got the whole driver's side, the boot face and bonnet done. A good chunk of that time was taken up trying to get the tape that held my license plate on, off. I broke the bloody plate holder, fooken weak plastic clips!!!

Just the front bumper and passenger side left to do now. When that's done I'll go over the whole car again with the finishing polish and pad then 2 coats of blacklight and we'll be grand :pac:

Conzy - I think plastidip is your best bet. AFAIK it's available in aerosol form.

Your starting to sound like an alcoholic now dave.. Missing work over detailing? Its all down hill from here

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

My god I'm wrecked! I took the day off work to get a good chunk of the car corrected. Started at 10 this morning, only sitting down now.

I got the whole driver's side, the boot face and bonnet done. A good chunk of that time was taken up trying to get the tape that held my license plate on, off. I broke the bloody plate holder, fooken weak plastic clips!!!

Just the front bumper and passenger side left to do now. When that's done I'll go over the whole car again with the finishing polish and pad then 2 coats of blacklight and we'll be grand :pac:

referee_pics_or_gtfo.jpg

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm loving it but it needs to come down, the front looks so high...........

The fronts seem to be protruding a bit, is that just the pic or what?

Your starting to sound like an alcoholic now dave.. Missing work over detailing? Its all down hill from here

:pac:

I'm an alcoholic with a detailing problem :D Nah, I'm entitled to my annual leave lad!

erin - fuc*ed if I'm gonna try and get a photo now! I'll take some tomorrow, the beading should be biblical!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

F*ck noahs ark, MPS repels water :pac:

F*ck noahs ark, MPS repels water :pac:

It will literally be waterproof :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It will literally be waterproof :pac:

you may have bigger problems if it wasn't already waterproof from factory :p

you may have bigger problems if it wasn't already waterproof from factory :p

The paint, smart ass :mad:

I'm an alcoholic with a detailing problem :D Nah, I'm entitled to my annual leave lad!

erin - fuc*ed if I'm gonna try and get a photo now! I'll take some tomorrow, the beading should be biblical!

c6a25.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

not the 'today' but last few months i done to my accord

original cost 2,400gbp

new clutch 500
    half shaft 270gbp
    abs wheel sensor from screwed up mechanics fault 80gbp
    ecu reset for traction control and abs lights 25gbp
    drive shaft passenger side 160gbp, labour 80gbp
    rear bumper, painted, fitted 210gbp
    4 x alloys refurbed 300gbp
    full oil and fluids, filters, iridium plugs & labour 220gbp

not looking like a bargain now :p, actually i lost count on how much now but about 4,300gbp is probably what it would retail at for a one in very good condition.

not complaining as its a serious car to drive. just itching to take that K24 onto a quite motorway some night lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

More cleaning of the barge... :)

Remember the interior from the other day???
    Image2033.jpg

Much better :) Just need a scrubbing brush for the rest of the hairs
    Image14010.jpg

Need to plant spuds? Not a problem :pac:
    Image14210.jpg

Checking do the Lensos fit...
    Image14110.jpg

They don't. Multifit my ass!!! :mad:

Then the engine.
    Before
    Image2000.jpg

After
    Image1447.jpg

I never knew the rocker cover was silver :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cheers lads. :)
    Haha. I won't be going Euro low, not into that whole DUB scene.
    I've been looking for some VZR suspension parts but my bank account is looking a bit empty at the minute, I've put 9 ads on Adverts today to try and scratch up some money. :p

Edit:
    RJ, there's a fair amount of positive camber on the front drivers side so that may give the impression of it protruding. Need to get that sorted.

Another thing, back drivers side, one of the screws has sheered off, will I need to replace the hub or I can get a new screw put in?

Literally just in the door after packing away all the crap. My audio install has been a shaggin nightmare and the story is too long to tell it in full here. :pac:

Ive had the subs in the car with everything ready to go for a week with every trim piece back to normal and after Owen kindly checked everything he said my amp was fecked. Said feck it ill leave it a while to get a new one or wait for a fix for my broken one, hence the hours of cleaning today. Said id throw a look amd adverts anyway at 8 o clock and within 2 hours i was home with a new amp. Connected it up with lots of praying away she fired up all worked perfectly.its quarter to 11 after listening to some music so what do i do? The parents are in spain so ive a free gaf so do i head inside and do it tomorrow after work or do it then? Im sure ye all know the answer! :D
    Out came the mazda and my brothers astra to help, parked them at either side with lights on. Removed old amp and wiring from the box and connected up the new one properly. Took out back seats, all trim pieces at the passenger left side to route some new wires, out the glovebox and head unit. Routed the bass remote down through the console to the footwell and placed it by my left knee at drivers side. Cut a small bit out of the glovebox light holder so the ipod cable can run flush through it. Connected everything up and put everything back and worked fine but the interior had bits of crap all over it again, so out with the hoover 12:45 and there you have it folks, just another example of my sad life :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Front engine mounts on the Esty. Total pita. One was completely sheared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Told you t'was the amp :D

A good trick for running cables where you don't want to go lifting out seats and carpet is to get a long bicycle brake cable, or an old car choke/accelerator. The steel braid can be pushed through places normal wire/coat hangar won't go, and the ball end can be used to secure the new cable you tape onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

today discowered that my avensis has four different make tyres, uniroyal,firestone, federal and hankook, .... Sick of that :( at least same size. No wonder why it jumping from one to other road side when over 70 ml/h.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement