Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Very Happy with Auto Glym High Def wax.

About 400 miles and about three washes in a week and it's still beading like hell. Washing it is a pleasure.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Very Happy with Auto Glym High Def wax.

About 400 miles and about three washes in a week and it's still beading like hell. Washing it is a pleasure.

Yeah im finding it great too, can't wait to remove all my swirl marks and apply a coat or two of the HD wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I third that. Tastes as good as it smells too.

Saw a fella sniffing a new cabin filter the other day, wasn't you by any chance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoovered, washed, polished and waxed!

81938ef4.jpg

91212783.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

bought megs nxt gen tech wax 2.0 ment to be there answer to auto glyms hd wax we'll see how it goes :) will use it tomorrow and stick up a photo if its dry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Had a busy evening

Clayed with megs claybar and detail spray. It's so smooth compared to before.

Got all the little blemishes off with megs ultimate compound, its different to any compound I've ever used, it doesn't feel abrasive but gets such good results

Then I polished it with megs nxt gen 2.0, which was so much easier after the clay.

Gave the wheels another go with megs hot rims, nowhere near as good as wonder wheels.

Shined the Tyres with lidls finest Tyre foam stuff

Did the chrome with megs metal polish

Conditioned the leather with auto glym stuff and got a nice Munster air freshener

Wrecked.

Regular stamped plates on the way from Eireplates, bye bye German font.
    Gonna remove bootlip spoiler too, bring back the classy rear end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Done the boot bid (without spoiler) tonight...getting quicker :D and not being as much a total perfectionist..overall a 90% + improvement...parts of the boot weren't accesible due to the location of the spoiler...car was clayed and da'ed with Menzerna Medium Cut polish.

Enjoy:cool:

Cluster of Scratches:

BEFORE:

img0572large.jpg

AFTER:

img0622large.jpg

BEFORE:

img0597large.jpg

AFTER:

img0599large.jpg

Scratching clearcoar around spoiler.

This was a bitch to get at..anyone any idea what to do in such tight places?

BEFORE:

img0573large.jpg

img0593largep.jpg

AFTER:

img0594large.jpg

img0595large.jpg

BEFORE:

img0586large.jpg

AFTER:

img0589large.jpg

CONTD:

More difficult spoiler scratching

BEFORE:

img0600large.jpg

img0601large.jpg

AFTER:

img0603large.jpg

img0604large.jpg

BEFORE:

img0605large.jpg

AFTER:

img0609large.jpg

BEFORE:

img0611large.jpg

AFTER:

img0616large.jpg

OVERALL RESULTS:

img0623large.jpg

img0620large.jpg

img0619large.jpg

img0617large.jpg

img0612large.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

^ Great work mate, Keep it up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Everyone's on a cleaning buzz today :D

Yup, just took the hoover to the carpets and Pledge to the wood trim. I love that clean smell!

Great results erin, I have a patch of similar scratches on my bonnet

331c2.jpg

Nice to see that the DA does a great job of hiding 90% of the damage

conzymaher wrote: »
    Great results erin, I have a patch of similar scratches on my bonnet

331c2.jpg

Nice to see that the DA does a great job of hiding 90% of the damage

Yep...just keep in mind that I've used no fillers / sealant or LSP yet so they should come out even better on the final run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

conzymaher wrote: »
    Yeah im finding it great too, can't wait to remove all my swirl marks and apply a coat or two of the HD wax.

Wanna know what's better than HD wax?? Chemical Guys Blacklight :D

Give blacklight a taste! Mmmmmm blackcurrant starburst!!
    fanadman1 wrote: »
    bought megs nxt gen tech wax 2.0 ment to be there answer to auto glyms hd wax we'll see how it goes :) will use it tomorrow and stick up a photo if its dry :D

It's a very good wax but it's not as good as HD wax, price reflects that. €20 for NXT, €50 for HD wax.

Erin - What D/A and pad are you using? I'm using a Kestrel with heavy cut pad and CG's V36 polish. It's kinda slow moving so I think I'm gonna go with Menzerna next time.

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemicalguys-5050limitedseriesconcourswax.html

Completely forgot i have a almost full tin of that out in the shed! Jag will be getting a shot of that tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gave the vRS a wash. Topped up with another coat of Wolfs Body Wrap and a quick wax for the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ok so it wasn't today, it was back on Tuesday, but anyway ...

Spent about 3 hours fighting with the Cowboy Commercial Conversion in the back. I swear there was enough black silicon crap in there to seal up the hole in the titanic! :eek:

Silicon, 6 pop-rivets and a few spot welds. Thats the sum of their efforts in converting it. :rolleyes:
    cowboy1.jpg

And yes, thats 2 A4 sheets folded over to balance out the fitting ... and then covered in more silicon. There was a lump of MDF used on the opposite side :mad:
    cowboy2.jpg

Anyone have any tips on how to remove silicon from metalwork?

Oh yeah, not a single hole welded closed - each one was stuffed with ... you guessed it ... more silicon! :pac:
    cowboy3.jpg

And just to display my awesome strength - here's the hammer when I was finished! :D
    awesome.jpg

Besides that I abandoned the Shogun at the side of the road and walked the 4 miles home :( Had just been to the garage to book it in for the morning and wasn't more than a few hundred yards down the road when it completely died on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

kceire wrote: »
    Everyone's on a cleaning buzz today :D

I think it was because it was the first evening in a long time that it wasn't raining! I washed my car on wed evening and yesterday evening I spent 2 hours cleaning all the windows, rear view mirror, vanity mirrors, polished all the trim and hoovered it.

Just wish I'd time to try out all my polishing kit :(
    (Though I was delighted when someone I was talking to on Wednesday after I washed it asked if I'd gotten the car resprayed at some stage as it was so clean! Its a '98 car and I have it 12 years and its never seen a car wash or a sponge which has been a big help)

• Advertisement

Erin - What D/A and pad are you using? I'm using a Kestrel with heavy cut pad and CG's V36 polish. It's kinda slow moving so I think I'm gonna go with Menzerna next time.

Pad = Hexlogic Medium Cut (Green)
    Polish = Menzerna PF2500 - PO203S Variant...good stuff and made from in the country you hail from! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Pad = Hexlogic Medium Cut (Green)
    Polish = Menzerna PF2500 - PO203S Variant...good stuff and made from in the country you hail from! :P

I'm using Hexlogic heavy cut with CG V36 and for a jap car, the paint seems to be tough. I think it's the polish though, will use Menzerna next time I think!

It's made in Ireland then yeah? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Going to give her a good clean for an early morning spin & then down to C&C on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Jemmy wrote: »
    Going to give her a good clean for an early morning spin & then down to C&C on Sunday :D

Your empty promises have been heard all too often before...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

dar83 wrote: »
    Your empty promises have been heard all too often before...

:(

Empty promises?! lol don't you start! :p

She got a complete going over inside & out just 2 wks ago, no photos though because it rained for a wk after! :mad:

It's made in Ireland then yeah? :P

Yep, straight from our new Capital...............Berlin :P

I'm using Hexlogic heavy cut with CG V36 and for a jap car, the paint seems to be tough. I think it's the polish though, will use Menzerna next time I think!

Paint shouldn't be that tough, thhe menzerna with medium pad does a decent job without huge effort on the 2's paint.

Conzy, one thing - would you not have been better off doing that with stone-chip than normal paint?

Paint chipped off :pac:

Its a nice finish but its brittle, I need to get a paint with a more flexible finish so it doesnt fall off :/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p88zy5o59raiqvs/IMAG0188.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Did you key the surface and etch prime?

• Advertisement

Yeah washed them and gave them a good sand. its strange though even though the grills are plastic there's a metal sheet pressed onto the front and that's chromed, I probably need a metal primer to do it right. didn't prime the first time...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement