Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

What is that?

It's a 1972 Dodge Challenger

IMG_0912.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That Challenger is gorgeous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Daved_XB wrote: »
    It's a 1972 Dodge Challenger

(speechless and in love)

Thanks lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Done some work on ,my puntie

Decided change clutch .. as it was making some weird sound ... actually clutch bearing was on the way out....

Shafts out

Photo0040.jpg

Gearbox out ....

Photo0042.jpg

current gearbox was wining quiet a lot.. hole in bellhousing...

and some crap in there ,...

Photo0044.jpg

And here we go ... i had coolant leak all the time, couldnt find from it leaking, ... finally found

Photo0046.jpg

freeze plug rust trough ....

Photo0047.jpg

time to shopping .. got new one in local motorfactors .. 9 euro !!!

Photo0048.jpg

New freeze plug installed

Photo0050.jpg

Bloody rain .... aaarrggghhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you may spot second gearbox what i had(partly covered with bag) ... just in case :)

Photo0051.jpg

"new" ish gearbox getting ready

new clutch bearing installed ...

Photo0053.jpg

New clutch installed... is there bloody center of universe ?

Photo0054.jpg

break .. smoking break before final fight :D

Photo0055.jpg

FINALLY !!!!! That bloody thing in... dohhh...

Photo0056.jpg

Left it like that ...

Photo0060.jpg

drivesafts needs to be installed... will do it tomorrow

Done myself alone.... one friend, who was able help me, got drunk yesterday, today couldn't leave house just have a look.... bastard .

• Advertisement

^^ Well done, great post :)

Love your work..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Savage post! Looks like a great job, and you're saving a fortune by doing it all yourself. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

have to say looks a bit dangerous no axel stands, health and safety authority would not be very impressed, but have to say you did well under bad conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In terms of loudness, theres very little difference. You have to increase the wattage by crazy amounts to increase the decibels significantly. Although 800w is 400% the power of the 200w sub, in terms of noise, its only about 5% louder. I think its something like for every doubling of watts, you get an extra 3dB.

its not just the volume , the overall kick and how much you can feel the vibration is the same if not better.
    ottostreet wrote: »
    I would have thought that the physical depth required to recreate low bass frequencies would not make a slim subwoofer possible. That's amazing!

i wouldnt have believed it until i heard it , when you turn it up anything over half way the rear view mirror becomes utterly useless with the vibration

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    have to say looks a bit dangerous no axel stands, health and safety authority would not be very impressed, but have to say you did well under bad conditions

There was under chassy 2 axel stands (each holds 3 tonns) and jack - 3 tonns also, so id say quiet enough for 900 kg puntie. this is serious work, wouldn risk with myself, as i have wife and kid.... just that timber, which holds engine could be thicker, as it was giving some crack sound when tried push gearbox in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Jeez, fair play to you with the clutch/gearbox replacement!

I'm not sure if I'd trust myself to do that sitting on the driveway (I'm sure that'll go for a lot of people on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

fair play just gave a quick look thought it was just jacked up

Just thinking, shouldn't this thread be in the DIY forum altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

dharn wrote: »

naahh little rain not stopping him make car run properly.. i know hes never giving up easily. Nice post and good luck tomorrow with drive shafts!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Owen wrote: »

Not really, it's car related, I wouldn't venture into the DIY forum at all.

Owen wrote: »

people post pictures of water beading on their car is this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I'd say it gets much more traffic because its here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i went into the DIY section for the first time ever there cos Owen mentioned it

id say diy section for technical questions and answers, this thread shows members own work results. Be proud of ourselfs. :)

• Advertisement

Had electrical gremlins over the last few days. Car was having intermittent CANBUS signal faults where it would just shut down completely, lock up in gear and leave me immobilised for 5 minutes until the car eventually groaned into Neutral and allowed me to restart it. Went fault finding, and reseated everything from the ECU, to the CANBUS loom at the back of the speedo, and finally reseated the SAM (Signal Acquisition and Actuation Module). Problem sorted.

Until it created a new one that my left hand side dipped beam and sidelight wouldn't work. Ruling out bulb failures, I went checking for wiring problems. Wiring at the headlight itself was fine (Whole front of the car has to come off to check them), but no voltage. Checked the fuses as the car has 4 fuses, one for each of the low and main beams, and one for each side. Fuses were fine. The relays are fused into SAM, so you can't replace them easily. Checked everything else before, light switch, wiring continuity, and eventually this moring decided the SAM was kaput and to have a go at it anyway. I'd end up spending about 800-1000 euro regardless, so I'd nothing to lose.

Disassembling it's a nightmare. It's made up of 4 boards which have flexible tracks to fold over on one another to fit inside, and these flexible bits crack. They had cracked in mine too, but hadn't affected continuity. I tested the soldered in relays for the lights with a 12v supply, and both poles of the low beam relay clicked without issue, so that was good too. Eventually tracked the fault to the connector for the loom going to the lights, the one on the board had nearly every solder joint cracked on it. Reflowed them all, bolted it all back together, did an ECU reset and everything's great again.

293909_10150346774078413_547383412_9679089_5594228_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Jesus Owen you really know your stuff..:)

I am trying to clay the car today and I am dying sick....:( Its looking good so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Gave my E36 a full service.. Oil, filter, plugs and re-charged my K&N air filter.
    Then changed the oil in the Diff.. Was eyeing up doing the gearbox as well but left it for another day..
    Quick wash and a hoover to finish it all off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I washed and waxed the car yesterday with T-Cut 2 in 1, came up a treat. 2 hours of hard work and it was worth it. Years of cloudy paint stripped away and water beading on the paintwork, just like it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Today I went through more or less 3 months worth of tire!

Drag racing in Tullow, brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

SV wrote: »
    Today I went through more or less 3 months worth of tire!

Drag racing in Tullow, brilliant :)

How did you do?

Gary ITR wrote: »
    How did you do?

Grand, need to improve on my starts a lot!

Got beat by a fair few and had some seriously close races.

Closest was between a CTR(Which was literally nose to nose the entire way), a 206gti and a Sierra RS cowsworth(friend was driving)

Grand, need to improve on my starts a lot!

Got beat by a fair few and had some seriously close races.

Closest was between a CTR(Which was literally nose to nose the entire way), a 206gti and a Sierra RS cowsworth(friend was driving)

A lot of the lads down there are veterans at this stage, you need a set of wide tyres for the front and work on your launching ;)

A lad in an evo10 put his car straight into the grass..did some fairly bad damage to it!

• Advertisement

A lad in an evo10 put his car straight into the grass..did some fairly bad damage to it!

Clever chap.... TBH Tullow wouldn't be for me, it's a bit unsafe and way too easy to do damage. You going to track the car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement