Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

alanbh wrote: »
    first game im going to miss for years. cant believe its not on tv, rte are a joke :(.

GAA's fault, nothing to do with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Interesting game awaits us today in the Gaelic Grounds. I fancy Galway to win this 1 but they have only played 1 good game in the championship this year in last weekend's win over Clare and over the years have proved to be very inconsistent.

As for Cork the game against Offaly was a disappointing display and they got some severe criticism in their own county for the performance. I do expect a major improvement from them today and if Galway are off form Cork can take this tie. However while my heart says Cork my head says Galway but hopefully I'm proved wrong!

For all Cork followers that can't reach the game it will be broadcast live on C103 FM from 3 45pm on. C103 can be found on 103.7 in North Cork,103.3 in West Cork and 102.6 in the City.

Privately I feared Cork would get a hiding today and it happened! The reality is Cork hurling is in the doldrums and we could be looking at a famine here in the county for a few years yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

So whens the next strike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It will be a long long time before Cork hurling is back on top again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Charledontsurf

Walsh surely must go, no bloody ideas at all. And he can take Frank with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

jesus christ almighty. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Maybe the players are just not good enough, just look at the bench today we had deadwood on the bench such as fraggy, cussen. Gardiner was awful today he only got involved when there was some argy bargy going on, and as for his delivery into the forwards; awful. Midfield was overrun all day today, sad to say it bet we have seen the last of Ben & Jerry great servants to the red jersey over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

I hate to ask but is anybody really surprised at this result? I thought Galway would win but I was expecting it to be tight, Cork hurling is in such a bad place right now. We have too many players with too many miles on the clock Cusack, Gardiner, Curran, the O Connor twins, Nialler to name but a few. The fact that these guys are still on the team doesn't say too much about what's coming through, if it was Kilkenny or Tipp they would be struggling for a place or been gone long ago. However, and I take no pleasure in saying this, Cork hurling is where it is mainly because of the last strike by the players. Most of the above named players were the ringleaders and they have brought hurling in the county to its knees. Don't get me wrong, they have been great servants to Cork over the years but they will always be remembered for the wrong reasons IMO, Cusack especially. Player power rules in Cork these days and this has destroyed the grassroots of hurling in the county. Most of these players have lost the respect of the public in Cork, it's time for them all to bite the bullet and walk away from intercounty hurling. The same can be said for Denis Walsh, a nice man and all that but definitely not up to the standard required, when he was appointed it raised a few eyebrows and he hasn't improved hurling at all. We're now at a stage where we'll probably be struggling to stay in Division 1 next year in The National League. So where does Cork hurling go from here? IMO it's time for all the old timers in the squad to walk away, it'll be sad to see some go but it has to be for the good of the county. The ringleaders of the last strike have to be let go, Walsh must also walk away. Time to start with a clean slate. Donal O Grady has to be coaxed back into management of the hurlers, a school principal of The Mon he'll take no crap and he'll get us on the right road again. He walked into Limerick and has taken them to within 1 game of the semi final, and who wouldn't bet against them being the dark horses this year? A long shot yes, but you can be assured he'll get the best out of them. It saddens and angers me as a Corkman to see him managing another county, would he ever come back and manage Cork? With the way the county board is set up and the player power in the squad, never in a million years IMO. So sad!

• Advertisement

Rebelfan; I have to agree with what you say time for likes of Cusack etc to go and let likes of Coleman, and other youngsters stake their claim. Strike has left a bad taste to be fair. These days footballers get much better support than the hurlers. If this was Kilkenny likes of Niall and Gardiner be gone by such is the great converyer belt Kilkenny has coming through but sadly we dont have that conveyer belt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    I hate to ask but is anybody really surprised at this result? I thought Galway would win but I was expecting it to be tight, Cork hurling is in such a bad place right now. We have too many players with too many miles on the clock Cusack, Gardiner, Curran, the O Connor twins, Nialler to name but a few. The fact that these guys are still on the team doesn't say too much about what's coming through, if it was Kilkenny or Tipp they would be struggling for a place or been gone long ago. However, and I take no pleasure in saying this, Cork hurling is where it is mainly because of the last strike by the players. Most of the above named players were the ringleaders and they have brought hurling in the county to its knees. Don't get me wrong, they have been great servants to Cork over the years but they will always be remembered for the wrong reasons IMO, Cusack especially. Player power rules in Cork these days and this has destroyed the grassroots of hurling in the county. Most of these players have lost the respect of the public in Cork, it's time for them all to bite the bullet and walk away from intercounty hurling. The same can be said for Denis Walsh, a nice man and all that but definitely not up to the standard required, when he was appointed it raised a few eyebrows and he hasn't improved hurling at all. We're now at a stage where we'll probably be struggling to stay in Division 1 next year in The National League. So where does Cork hurling go from here? IMO it's time for all the old timers in the squad to walk away, it'll be sad to see some go but it has to be for the good of the county. The ringleaders of the last strike have to be let go, Walsh must also walk away. Time to start with a clean slate. Donal O Grady has to be coaxed back into management of the hurlers, a school principal of The Mon he'll take no crap and he'll get us on the right road again. He walked into Limerick and has taken them to within 1 game of the semi final, and who wouldn't bet against them being the dark horses this year? A long shot yes, but you can be assured he'll get the best out of them. It saddens and angers me as a Corkman to see him managing another county, would he ever come back and manage Cork? With the way the county board is set up and the player power in the squad, never in a million years IMO. So sad!
    Right on the money really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Charledontsurf

Can't argue with that.

The time has come for major changes in the senior team. It's time to let younger players stake a place on the team and time for the likes of Cusack,Jerry and Ben,Niall Mac and possibly a few more to make way and let the younger lads try and make Cork a hurling force again.

It's going to take time for Cork to be a major force again,Tipp went through a famine of 16 years without a Munster title and 18 years without an All Ireland and in Cork we could be looking at that! Even our near neighbours in the Kingdom went through a famine of 11 years at 1 time without a football All Ireland!

As for Denis Walsh I reckon his time has come to an end with Cork but there mightn't be too many applicants willing to replace him!

Well said,have to agree with everything said.

In what way is Niall past it? He has been one of our best players all year. If more lads had his addtitude we wouldn't have lost my half as much. He is going to be starting next year, full stop.

Orizio wrote: »
    In what way is Niall past it? He has been one of our best players all year. If more lads had his addtitude we wouldn't have lost my half as much. He is going to be starting next year, full stop.
    The half forward line was the poorest area for Cork hurlers this year. Niall Mac should go,end of story.

County Under 21 B football semi final result; Cill Na Martra 0-12 Buttevant 1-6. This game was played in Kanturk last night. Well done to the local referee who did a good job despite been severely intimidated by some of the Buttevant players and management who IMO behaved like thugs with their carry on in the field and the sideline.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Orizio wrote: »

I agree - in fairness, Niall has matured a lot as a player in the last few years, and is playing very well all year

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with football draw?

I have to say wanted to avoid Tyrone, Meath and Kildare.

It be tricky but it could been worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Happy with football draw?

I have to say wanted to avoid Tyrone, Meath and Kildare.

It be tricky but it could been worse

I would have loved to have got Meath so that we could beat them off the park like 2007.

Down will be tough, I cant see Antrim beating them, but I still fancy Cork to beat Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

There's some smell of depression off this thread. In fairness lads the famine down in Cork is nothing compared to other counties.

Ye will stay in division 1 comfortably next year. You could put fifteen scarecrows into cork Jersies and Limerick would still find a way to lose to them. Cork will always be Cork. There's no disputing that. give it a few years and ye will probably be on for three in a row again.

Ye should dispatch Down comfortably enough. I think they are over rated and were fortuitous all Ireland finalists last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Browney7 wrote: »
    There's some smell of depression off this thread. In fairness lads the famine down in Cork is nothing compared to other counties.

Ye will stay in division 1 comfortably next year. You could put fifteen scarecrows into cork Jersies and Limerick would still find a way to lose to them. Cork will always be Cork. There's no disputing that. give it a few years and ye will probably be on for three in a row again.

Ye should dispatch Down comfortably enough. I think they are over rated and were fortuitous all Ireland finalists last year.

It could take more than a few years to be honest, they don't have the hurlers at the moment. Don't know where they are going to come from?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

teednab-el wrote: »
    It could take more than a few years to be honest, they don't have the hurlers at the moment. Don't know where they are going to come from?

From the imaginary cabbage patch the CCB think we have outside PUC

dartbhoy wrote: »
    The half forward line was the poorest area for Cork hurlers this year. Niall Mac should go,end of story.

Utterly clueless.

Cusack/Gardiner/Kenny/Ben/Jerry/Cussen/Fraggy/O'Neill /Curran should all go I think time for a fresh start fresh ideas lot of the above have been around a long time, shane o neill looked awful this year injuries must have taken their toll on him. Give Coleman a go in goals he is a class keeper time for Cusack to go. The likes of Conor Lehane, Luke, Pauide, Pa Cronin, Lorcan, Hoggie, Cadogan are the future of Cork hurling build with them, there has to be talent in Cork, only problem is some of our best hurlers play football i.e. Aidan Walsh, Ciaran Sheehan,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    only problem is some of our best hurlers play football i.e. Aidan Walsh, Ciaran Sheehan,

wasnt too much of a problem last september when they were bringing sam home :pac:

Tony Considine's article in the examiner today will have been a sobering read for many of the cork panel and management. Cut them to pieces basically and told them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Browney7 wrote: »

Depression may be one word for it but reality is what I would call it. It's been 6 years since we won The All Ireland, for a county that has 30 titles that is a famine. I know other counties haven't been as fortunate as us in the past but its a well known fact that success breeds greed. Cork people are a proud bunch and we don't like it when we're not performing at the highest level. We have been knocked off our perch by Kilkenny and at the minute we're not even in the top 7 or 8 in the country. The only crumbs of comfort is that our footballers seem to be challenging for honours again.
    As for your prediction about the Down game well I hope you're right. I'm a Corkman living in County Down, married to a Down woman and my son is a Down fanatic (Nobodys perfect I suppose!!!) Personally I think it's going to be a lot closer than people think, in fact I think we may struggle in this one. The mood up here is that Downfolk are confident they will beat Antrim and will be chomping at the bit for a crack off us, they have the firepower to cause us big problems. However, I think we will win and it will hopefully be the game that kickstarts our season. If there was any complacency in the camp from winning Sam last year it's been well and truly stamped out with defeat to that other lot last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Cusack/Gardiner/Kenny/Ben/Jerry/Cussen/Fraggy/O'Neill /Curran should all go I think time for a fresh start fresh ideas lot of the above have been around a long time, shane o neill looked awful this year injuries must have taken their toll on him. Give Coleman a go in goals he is a class keeper time for Cusack to go. The likes of Conor Lehane, Luke, Pauide, Pa Cronin, Lorcan, Hoggie, Cadogan are the future of Cork hurling build with them, there has to be talent in Cork, only problem is some of our best hurlers play football i.e. Aidan Walsh, Ciaran Sheehan,

Some of our best footballers have played hurling for years - Kenny, Gardiner, Sean Og, Curran, Cadogan.

After the result against Galway and the success of the footballers if Cadogan had to decide between hurling and football he has to pick Conor Counihan's side

• Advertisement

...why the **** would Shane O'Neill go? He is almost younger then me ffs and spent most of the year injured. He is the same age as Pa Cronin and Hoggie iirc, or a year off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement