Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Would be fantastic to do the league double, but even getting there - especially for the hurlers is a super achievement!
    A really great achievement by both senior codes. The footballers going for 3 Division 1 titles in a row something which has not been done since Kerry in the 1970's. While I've been critical of the footballers on here at times I really hope they win next Sunday and get the recognition they deserve. However Mayo will be hard to beat and Cork will have to be firing on all cylinders to beat the boys from the West.

The hurlers reaching the final is unreal considering the doldrums the team were in 9 months ago. JBM is a miracle man IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Treble20 wrote: »
    A really great achievement by both senior codes. The footballers going for 3 Division 1 titles in a row something which has not been done since Kerry in the 1970's. While I've been critical of the footballers on here at times I really hope they win next Sunday and get the recognition they deserve. However Mayo will be hard to beat and Cork will have to be firing on all cylinders to beat the boys from the West.

The hurlers reaching the final is unreal considering the doldrums the team were in 9 months ago. JBM is a miracle man IMO!

Agreed on all counts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I think Kilkenny would rather play Tipperary than Cork in final so thats a good thing. Kilkenny will be hard to beat and I have said it here already, to beat Kilkenny and Tipp twice in the same year is a big big ask in fairness but I still believe that if we can perform we have a great chance of League success.

In the football, I honestly think that the pressure is on Mayo more than Cork. Cork have won the League already 3 times in a row( 1 division 2 title) and 2(division 1 league titles). Mayo will have to perform to their best to beat Cork and we know they are well capable of that. Hard one to call but I think Cork should win by 2-3 points.

I hope history repeats itself after JBM taking over. He brought Cork from nothing in the mid to late 1990's to win an All Ireland in 1999. Our last League success was 1998 I think so we badly need to win that in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Have confidence in JBM! We can do it! :D

But no it will be tight but once we keep showing the form of late, it bodes well for the Championship.I think we will win as we seem hungry for it.

Just agreeing with what everyone has said about the game and showing what I said previously! :D

We look really hungry and seem to have a lot more firepower.Everyone looks a threat and the defence did well.O'Farrell has a brilliant game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My only fear is that Kilkenny will be out gunning to put few manners on the younger lads in Cork team, they have history of it.

Would be my only concern about the final.

I know we give out(me as much as anyone) about the footballers and hurlers from time to time, but we are blessed to be from county that has both codes doing well.

If Footballers do poor normally hurlers are doing good, and vice versa and maybe even this year we may get repeat of 1990.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was a good performance by Cork alright, O'Farrell's goal was the turning point, it was a real cracker and it really lifted the Cork team. They played with a much higher intensity than Tipp after that, won basically everything and started scoring at will. Lehane, Kenny and Sweetnam were good players to bring off the bench.

That said, Tipp will be a lot stronger come Championship with Kelly, Bonner Maher, McGrath, Curran all being available again. Their forwards were very poor today, bar Pa Bourke. Brian O'Meara was good in fits but wasted a lot of possession too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Brilliant win for Cork and what a transformation there has been in the senior hurling team in a few months under JBM's stewardship.Sad to see Donal Og going off injured and hopefully he'll be back shortly but delighted to see Nash get a run and made 2 brilliant saves at the end. 2 teams in 2 Division 1 finals Football and hurling,great achievement by the Cork teams.

Its the #JimmyBarryMurphyFactor :D

Hopefully it will be three teams in the division 1 finals after next Sunday, senior ladies footballers are playing v Meath in the semi final

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My only fear is that Kilkenny will be out gunning to put few manners on the younger lads in Cork team, they have history of it.

Would be my only concern about the final.

I know we give out(me as much as anyone) about the footballers and hurlers from time to time, but we are blessed to be from county that has both codes doing well.

If Footballers do poor normally hurlers are doing good, and vice versa and maybe even this year we may get repeat of 1990.;)

Quite true. I seem to remember the first ball that came to Lehane down the Páirc, the kk defender tried to go right through him, luckily Lehane jinked to his left!

Looking forward to the final, I fully expect kk to lift their game somewhat. It should be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Glad for Nash he deserves a chance.He plays in goal for my own team and he is a great goalie.But what about Coleman.I thought JBM was putting as sun goalie every second game and today it happened to be Nash or what has happened to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Only saw how Donal Og picked up his injury on the news. Looks very nasty. Hopefully it wont be too long before we see him back in action again.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Quite true. I seem to remember the first ball that came to Lehane down the Páirc, the kk defender tried to go right through him, luckily Lehane jinked to his left!

Looking forward to the final, I fully expect kk to lift their game somewhat. It should be a cracker.

KK will definately target the younger lads on this Cork team. They will try and stop them hurling, whatever means they can go about achieving this without the referee noticing. I just hope Niall McCarthy is marking Tommy Walsh. It would be an interesting battle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Huge credit has to go to the hurlers after yesterdays performance! The fact that they didn't fold when Tipp threw everything at them is a massive sign of bottle, especially from the younger lads! They showed that they're not afraid of dogging in when needs be! That was alot of peoples worry previous to this game i think.
    KK will of course target the younger boys but yesterdays performance shows they wont be afraid of it either! I'm sure JBM will have them well prepared!
    Delighted to see the heart back in cork hurling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Could anyone tell if Joe Deane played minor football with Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

teednab-el wrote: »
    KK will definately target the younger lads on this Cork team. They will try and stop them hurling, whatever means they can go about achieving this without the referee noticing. I just hope Niall McCarthy is marking Tommy Walsh. It would be an interesting battle. :D

Re. Tommy Walsh, he really looks to be struggling this year, Sutcliffe, Pa Bourke and Lehane have all beaten him well and he struggled last Sunday aswell, he was out of breath after 45 mins down in front of the old stand leaning on the hurl, is it possible that so much hurling at such a high intensity is finally catching up with the great man, certainly looks that way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Re. Tommy Walsh, he really looks to be struggling this year, Sutcliffe, Pa Bourke and Lehane have all beaten him well and he struggled last Sunday aswell, he was out of breath after 45 mins down in front of the old stand leaning on the hurl, is it possible that so much hurling at such a high intensity is finally catching up with the great man, certainly looks that way to me.
    I wouldn't write him off just yet - come championship time I'd imagine he'll be well able to go full throttle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PaulieC wrote: »
    I wouldn't write him off just yet - come championship time I'd imagine he'll be well able to go full throttle

Oh I certainly wouldnt write him off, he has defied logic enough up to this point, but I am suprised it hasnt really been commented on.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

lala88 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell if Joe Deane played minor football with Cork?

yeah, think it was 95 or 96, beaten by Tipp in the Munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I wonder if anyone out there could point me in the right direction?I'm looking for the teamsheet for the two teams that contested the first Canon Fitzgerald cup final(Tipp post primary schools hurling) in the early 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together a tactical analysis piece of the game here for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5731

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I wonder if anyone out there could point me in the right direction?I'm looking for the teamsheet for the two teams that contested the first Canon Fitzgerald cup final(Tipp post primary schools hurling) in the early 70's.

Just get every name combination you can from Paddy/Mick/Johnny/Tommy/Dinny/Gerry, surname Ryan/Maher/Stapleton and you'd be about 90% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Best of luck to the footballers who go for 3 Div 1 titles (and four league titles overall) in the next hour.

I think we're in strong enough form in last few games to be able to take Mayo, altho they have shown some good form too, so should be a cracker of a game. Bit of revenge for last august on the cards maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Having watched the first game, the wind is going to have a major influence on this game. Long balls into the square will be very interesting indeed. I'm not expecting a pretty good game - that wind is all over the place, whoever uses it better will have a huge advantage.

Match now starts at 4:15

Should be a handy one for Cork :D. Only messing! Its going to be a very hard game to call, I would be afraid of current form Mayo if they get going they will be hard to beat.

HT Cork 0-5 v 0-9 Mayo

Happy to be only 4pts down at ht having played against the strong wind.
    Some very wayward passing by Cork early in the half.

I think our full forward line will see alot more of the ball in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'd be worried for Cork, they lost the middle and alot of marginal battles and that had very little to do with the wind. Impressive by Mayo, this one is there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

O'Leary was a disgrace there.

Vaughan could have had a kneck injury, and to pick him up and drop him a few times like he did was dangerous and stupid.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    O'Leary was a disgrace there.

Vaughan could have had a kneck injury, and to pick him up and drop him a few times like he did was dangerous and stupid.

From the replay it actually looked that Noel's sight was blocked by a cork player and he didn't see the actual tackle - I think he genuinely thought he was faking it. Cadogan pushed him away immediately as he knew he did take a very heavy knock.

Great start to the second half for Cork - 3 pts in 5mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Fair enough. Im not O'Leary's biggest fan so I think im incabable of seeing him in a good light I suppose.

From what I saw he was acting the bollix :P

Great comeback from Cork and are in the Driving seat now.

• Advertisement

Load of yellow cards in the game - Cork playing well with the wind, losing the ball too easily at times though

Cork ladies won their game v Meath, and are into the National League final as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement