Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Mayo v Cork , April 29th Throw in 4pm ...referee Maurice Deegan.

christ alive, deegan is awful! How does he get big games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

croker1 wrote: »
    Football was last weekend lads. Opinions on the hurling? Cork vs Tipp Sunday 4pm @ Thurles.

I think the hurlers are shaping up well this year. The team is young and is reminding me of the young blood that came through in 99. JBM is working well with them. I think we can beat Tipp if we can pull out a good performance.

4 changes made from last game: Conor o Sullivan, John Gardiner, Niall Mac and Luke o Farrell are called up.

How is Luke playing formwise? I remember hearing he was going to be the next big thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

croker1 wrote: »
    Football was last weekend lads. Opinions on the hurling? Cork vs Tipp Sunday 4pm @ Thurles.

I think the hurlers are shaping up well this year. The team is young and is reminding me of the young blood that came through in 99. JBM is working well with them. I think we can beat Tipp if we can pull out a good performance.

4 changes made from last game: Conor o Sullivan, John Gardiner, Niall Mac and Luke o Farrell are called up.

True, but the u21's have an All Ireland Semi tomorrow;)
    That could be a very interesting game against the Dubs and it's live on TG4 at 2.00p.m.

Tip and Cork will be another tight affair. The forwards are a bit more mixed around this time and it will be interesting to see how they get on.
    I think Tip will take us by 3pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Tip and Cork will be another tight affair. The forwards are a bit more mixed around this time and it will be interesting to see how they get on.
    I think Tip will take us by 3pts.

Have confidence in JBM! We can do it! :D

But no it will be tight but once we keep showing the form of late, it bodes well for the Championship.I think we will win as we seem hungry for it.

I presume this will be on tg4? Anyone know for sure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Have confidence in JBM! We can do it! :D

But no it will be tight but once we keep showing the form of late, it bodes well for the Championship.I think we will win as we seem hungry for it.

I presume this will be on tg4? Anyone know for sure?

Both semis are live on TG4 on Sunday - coverage starts at 1.30p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

deisedude wrote: »
    How is Luke playing formwise? I remember hearing he was going to be the next big thing

Was good for the U21s last year, not quite made the breakthrough yet at senior level. Time left yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

deisedude wrote: »

Been injured the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

keane2097 wrote: »
    They were pretty much nothing like that at the weekend, played a tonne of fast, direct ball.
    Yes They played like that against down but in the other games during the league they were crap.And to be fair Downs defence was awful.

U21's lost to Dublin today, Cork 0-14 v 3-11 dublin

Poor enough from Cork. Slow ball out of defence allowed dublin the time to put them under pressure and get the ball from them - 3rd goal was a particular case in point.
    The dubs after a poor start came into it and the goals allowed them to funnel men back and defend the lead. Cork really should have being putting long ball into their forwards - Counihan take note of how easy it was to defend against the slow play!
    The Cork half forward line were non existent for long periods I thought, while Hurley at 13 looked dangerous throughout. Kilkenny for dublin was their standout forward.

On todays display alone, Counihan won't be adding to his squad in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A poor showing by our Under 21's today. Again it was disappointing to see the team adopting a slow hand passing game trying to work the ball up the field and none of our forwards looked capable of scoring points from 40-50 yards out.

The team selection was made up of Carbery divisional players in the majority with a few from the South East,East Cork,Mid Cork and City divisions making up the 15. I was a bit surprised to see no representatives from The Duhallow division considering clubs from that division have won major honours in the County championships last year and also teams been successful at under age level in the County. Personally I thought there was a few players in the Duhallow division more than capable of a place in that team today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Treble20 wrote: »
    A poor showing by our Under 21's today. Again it was disappointing to see the team adopting a slow hand passing game trying to work the ball up the field and none of our forwards looked capable of scoring points from 40-50 yards out.

The team selection was made up of Carbery divisional players in the majority with a few from the South East,East Cork,Mid Cork and City divisions making up the 15. I was a bit surprised to see no representatives from The Duhallow division considering clubs from that division have won major honours in the County championships last year and also teams been successful at under age level in the County. Personally I thought there was a few players in the Duhallow division more than capable of a place in that team today.

Totally agree. There should be definately some Duhallow players on the team. There would be always a few players they could get from that division. I think there is a lot of politics involved in the team selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Poor enough from Cork. Slow ball out of defence allowed dublin the time to put them under pressure and get the ball from them - 3rd goal was a particular case in point.
    The dubs after a poor start came into it and the goals allowed them to funnel men back and defend the lead. Cork really should have being putting long ball into their forwards - Counihan take note of how easy it was to defend against the slow play!
    The Cork half forward line were non existent for long periods I thought, while Hurley at 13 looked dangerous throughout. Kilkenny for dublin was their standout forward.

On todays display alone, Counihan won't be adding to his squad in the near future.
    Totally wrong about Kilkenny. Yes, he is their best player but not as good today. 11, 411 and 15 were far more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It makes me a little angry to see a comment like that. You won back-to-back Munster titles (which is far more of an achievement with the turnover at under-age than it is at senior) with alot of these guys, beating Kerry twice and very handily on one occasion and you think losing to a good Dublin team by six points means they don't have a place going forward at inter-county?

If you really think that little of them I'm sure the other 31 counties would be happy to take them off your hands. It's such a negative attitude to take towards 19 and 20 year-olds.

Syferus wrote: »
    It makes me a little angry to see a comment like that. You won back-to-back Munster titles (which is far more of an achievement with the turnover at under-age than it is at senior) with alot of these guys, beating Kerry twice and very handily on one occasion and you think losing to a good Dublin team by six points means they don't have a place going forward at inter-county?

If you really think that little of them I'm sure the other 31 counties would be happy to take them off your hands. It's such a negative attitude to take towards 19 and 20 year-olds.

As I said - on yesterdays performance - I cannot see which players are going to break into the senior squad.
    Last year, there were a few problems with management at underage level in Kerry - players not being picked as a result of those personalities apparently. Their u-21 team were a shambles - and a few of that Cork team are involved now with the Cork seniors. Kerry changed the mangement team - Ambrose O' donovan I think - and took us to extratime this year. I expect Kerry to be back winning the u21 grade in Munster next year( unfortunately). That's the munster u-21 championship for ye!
    Although next year Tip might be a 3rd team in Munster as their minors won last year and have alread beaten Kerry this year.

As for 31 counties taking a few of the players? That would totally depend on the senior set up and how good they would be of course. At the moment, Cork have a fine senior team and it is hard to break onto it. I didn't see the Cork v Kerry game, but on yesterdays performance I cannot see what players could break onto it.
    Some might call that negative, fair enough, I call it being realistic.
    I hope they prove me wrong and are good enough as it would undoubtedly improve the squad, but I don't see it happening.

As I said - on yesterdays performance - I cannot see which players are going to break into the senior squad.
    Last year, there were a few problems with management at underage level in Kerry - players not being picked as a result of those personalities apparently. Their u-21 team were a shambles - and a few of that Cork team are involved now with the Cork seniors. Kerry changed the mangement team - Ambrose O' donovan I think - and took us to extratime this year. I expect Kerry to be back winning the u21 grade in Munster next year( unfortunately). That's the munster u-21 championship for ye!
    Although next year Tip might be a 3rd team in Munster as their minors won last year and have alread beaten Kerry this year.

As for 31 counties taking a few of the players? That would totally depend on the senior set up and how good they would be of course. At the moment, Cork have a fine senior team and it is hard to break onto it. I didn't see the Cork v Kerry game, but on yesterdays performance I cannot see what players could break onto it.
    Some might call that negative, fair enough, I call it being realistic.
    I hope they prove me wrong and are good enough as it would undoubtedly improve the squad, but I don't see it happening.

Not sure if its the Cork U 21 team or Cleary is at fault but last year Cork were good enough to win the competition and they fell short to Galway who IMO and I might get slated here but I thought they were just an average team. I watched that game last year and Cork had enough fire-power to win and didnt so the blame must go back to management on that. This year Dublin were a better team than Cork so I cant say anything.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Not sure if its the Cork U 21 team or Cleary is at fault but last year Cork were good enough to win the competition and they fell short to Galway who IMO and I might get slated here but I thought they were just an average team. I watched that game last year and Cork had enough fire-power to win and didnt so the blame must go back to management on that. This year Dublin were a better team than Cork so I cant say anything.

Correct.
    We had a better team last year and really should have won the all Ireland.
    The tactics yeasterday certainly should be questioned aswell.

Sad to see Donal Óg going off on a stretcher after 20mins - looks like an ankle injury I think.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Donal Og in serious trouble v Tipp, just been stretchered off - went to control a ball, and it after damaging his knee. Was obvious that there was something serious wrong, Wadding left play go on for about 15/20 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hope D Og is ok, didn't look like much but he was obviously in a lot pf pain.
    Hope Nash does well now,he wouldn't get many days out and this is a big test for him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Word is that its Donal Ogs Achilles tendon that is ruptured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

This is a poor enough game tbh. Niall McCarthy is the only player on the pitch showing consistently high quality.

Pat Horgan's free-taking has been pretty poor and the forward lines of neither team are firing.

Tipp aren't showing anything for Limerick to fear, although they are missing a good few players.

Where is Conor Lehane?

• Advertisement

Lehane didn't start - had exams this week in college according to JBM, is on the bench.

Niall Mac is showing well, super score from him off his left by the left sideline. Both sides are far enough off the pace, Tipperary are not going to give up any goals, constantly clogging in front of the goal. If the rupture is bad enough, it would be the end of his season.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    This is a poor enough game tbh.

Poor enough game alright.Wadding is ruining it imo.Far to whistle happy.

Cork 1-25 v 2-15 Tip

Super win for Cork today.
    Poor first half but the second half made up for it. Nash did well in goal after Donal Og had to be stretchered off, even scoring a point from a free.
    The defence did quite well throughout, Gardiner saw alot of ball at midfield in the first half but the story of the game were the cork forwards. 1-25 is a super return. Pa Cronin was very consistent throughout and probably had his best game in a cork jersey I thought. O'Farrell got some good scores and a super goal. Niall Mc also scored well.
    Overall - apart form Cusacks injury - very pleased altogether!!!!

Bring on the Cats!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hope Dónal óg makes a speedy recovery.

Good game, Lehane made a great impact when sprung from the bench. Niall Mac played extremely well, as did Cadogen and Egan. O Farrell's goal was fantastic as well

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great day to be a Rebel.

Lets hope this form is carried on to the summer.

Unreal performance by Cork. Reminded me of the Cork hurlers of the older days. I hope this form continues. If they perform the next day against Kilkenny, they have a really good chance of winning the League. O' Farells goal was a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Brilliant win for Cork and what a transformation there has been in the senior hurling team in a few months under JBM's stewardship.Sad to see Donal Og going off injured and hopefully he'll be back shortly but delighted to see Nash get a run and made 2 brilliant saves at the end. 2 teams in 2 Division 1 finals Football and hurling,great achievement by the Cork teams.

Treble20 wrote: »
    Brilliant win for Cork and what a transformation there has been in the senior hurling team in a few months under JBM's stewardship.Sad to see Donal Og going off injured and hopefully he'll be back shortly but delighted to see Nash get a run and made 2 brilliant saves at the end. 2 teams in 2 Division 1 finals Football and hurling,great achievement by the Cork teams.

Would be fantastic to do the league double, but even getting there - especially for the hurlers is a super achievement!

• Advertisement

Nash did very well today as well, fair play to him, good to know we have another solid replacement in goals after Cusack. I thought it was hilarious when Padraic Maher of Tipp won a free and started goading and jumping up in the air with delight only to be floored by Egan I think. That put an end to his antics :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement