Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork 3-13 v Limerock 0-6

A facile win for Cork minor footballers. They won't have learned much from the game but it was a run out all the same.

Next up in the semi will be Tipp, who beat Kerry earlier. Hard to know which way this one will go but the winner will surely have a good cut off winning the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork 3-13 v Limerock 0-6

A facile win for Cork minor footballers. They won't have learned much from the game but it was a run out all the same.

Next up in the semi will be Tipp, who beat Kerry earlier. Hard to know which way this one will go but the winner will surely have a good cut off winning the All Ireland this year.

Did you get the score of the Kerry Tipp game Shamo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

teednab-el wrote: »
    Did you get the score of the Kerry Tipp game Shamo?

2-8 to 7.

Hilarious to see the Kerry lads that have been second best to Cork in underage football for years are now flying out in Croker whilst the Cork lads don't get a sniff to starting under Counihan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    Hilarious to see the Kerry lads that have been second best to Cork in underage football for years are now flying out in Croker whilst the Cork lads don't get a sniff to starting under Counihan.

Flying? Really? I thought they were far from flying and Kerry lost so I wouldn't be too worried about them just yet.

Two points up at ht. Some good fast ball going into the forwards aswell:)

• Advertisement

Cork 2-17 v 1-12 Down

Very impressive performance by Cork today. They certainly played with a pacy and direct style, thank God.
    1-3 from midfield was an excellent return.
    O'Neill would score more if he stopped trying to break ball every time he kicked it - still impressive though.
    Several subs used - early enough- for them to gain good experience of Croker.

And finally, absolutely delighted to see Goulding get back on the field of play for Cork - and score!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Cork 2-17 v 1-12 Down

Very impressive performance by Cork today. They certainly played with a pacy and direct style, thank God.
    1-3 from midfield was an excellent return.
    O'Neill would score more if he stopped trying to break ball every time he kicked it - still impressive though.
    Several subs used - early enough- for them to gain good experience of Croker.

And finally, absolutely delighted to see Goulding get back on the field of play for Cork - and score!!
    Good performance by Cork, but I don't know if we are good enough to beat Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Solid display by us but a boring match. No spark to it.

TG4 gave motm to Kerrigan, I would have given it to Colm o'neill on a slight edge over Kerrigan. Good to have to make that kind of choice tho and good to see Goulding back as well.
    teednab-el wrote: »
    Good performance by Cork, but I don't know if we are good enough to beat Mayo?

Hard to judge on that game. Apart from a 5 or 10 minute spell at the start of the second half, Cork didnt break a sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

SeaFields wrote: »
    Solid display by us but a boring match. No spark to it.

TG4 gave motm to Kerrigan, I would have given it to Colm o'neill on a slight edge over Kerrigan. Good to have to make that kind of choice tho and good to see Goulding back as well.

Hard to judge on that game. Apart from a 5 or 10 minute spell at the start of the second half, Cork didnt break a sweat.

agrees on O'Neills MOTM merits

I think we will beat Mayo my worry is we cant consistently run up score lines like today and blow hot and cold far too often making us very unpredictable (in a bad way)

Flying? Really? I thought they were far from flying and Kerry lost so I wouldn't be too worried about them just yet.

Don't agree, thought Enright, Maher, Curtain, Keane and O'Donoghue all did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I didn't watch the game live today,only see the highlights this evening on RTE2. By the highlights Cork upped the ante in the 2nd half and won comfortably in the end.

Our forwards were on fire today but again question marks about our defence who were loose in their marking of the Down forwards at times. A good win but over understrength opposition admittedly. Personally I reckon Cork will have to up their performance to beat an ever improving Mayo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Counihan was asked about that last week. He said that he would rather leave the u21 players to their own set up as long as they are involved in competition rather than asking players to commit to senior (with, he added, the obvious exceptions of Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan). He said he would look again when their season finishes. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Down must be sick of the sight of us at this stage.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Counihan was asked about that last week. He said that he would rather leave the u21 players to their own set up as long as they are involved in competition rather than asking players to commit to senior (with, he added, the obvious exceptions of Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan). He said he would look again when their season finishes. Make of that what you will.

I reckon a few changes might occur when they are finished in their championship. It would be nice to see another few lads get a look in. But who would you drop from the panel to let them in?

Down must be sick of the sight of us at this stage.

They sure are, but sure what harm.
    If Mayo beat us (really don't think they will ) I'll be reasonably sick of them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together a tactics piece on Cork's win over Down for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5699

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I've put together a tactics piece on Cork's win over Down for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5699

You put a lot of work into this Emmett fair play, have had some interesting stuff to read, but....this game was hardly worth analysing as Down were just so awful and Cork forwards would largely have a harder time in training matches I'd say. It doesn't bode well for a defence when Pearse O'Neill is strolling through knocking over points either! You are right in your assessment that Cork don't do subtlety much, but if they get all their best forwards fit any defence will have a hell of a job containing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Think Cork are shaping up really well at the moment.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Think Cork are shaping up really well at the moment.

Funnily enough everyone in Cork would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd be worried (as a Kerryman) that they haven't properly hit form yet.

It would probably suit them to go through the qualifiers imo, I think if they do they'll get a head of steam built up and be hard to stop tbh

I think a lot of Cork people have their minds made up about Counihan and their view on the team is informed by it.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of Cork people have their minds made up about Counihan

Possibly, but there are little doubts that his conservative team selection - particularly when we along with Dublin have the most talented young footballers in the country -, our predictable playstyle and our complete tactical inability to beat top class teams that stack their defence and counter attack are obvious problems that have existed for the past three years at least and have yet to be solved. Some would argue moreover that this current generation of Cork footballers is our most talented ever, and they are being limited by Counihan and co.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'd be worried (as a Kerryman) that they haven't properly hit form yet.

It would probably suit them to go through the qualifiers imo, I think if they do they'll get a head of steam built up and be hard to stop tbh

I wouldn't worry about it, the chances of us beating Kerry in Croker come championship is pretty much nil, barring a mass of Kerry injuries. Just put people behind the ball and hit us fast on the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

You put a lot of work into this Emmett fair play, have had some interesting stuff to read, but....this game was hardly worth analysing as Down were just so awful and Cork forwards would largely have a harder time in training matches I'd say. It doesn't bode well for a defence when Pearse O'Neill is strolling through knocking over points either! You are right in your assessment that Cork don't do subtlety much, but if they get all their best forwards fit any defence will have a hell of a job containing them.

Cheers. Yeah it was a strange enough one as Cork had it so easy reaching their forwards you'd wonder if they'd have been better served by a tougher battle. Getting a consistent 70 in, which they really haven't before this game, was probably the bigger benefit in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

They are playing rubbish football,too slow and boring to watch.They always let teams get back and defend instead of quick ball into Walsh with O'Neill and Donocha running off him.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    They are playing rubbish football,too slow and boring to watch.They always let teams get back and defend instead of quick ball into Walsh with O'Neill and Donocha running off him.

They were pretty much nothing like that at the weekend, played a tonne of fast, direct ball.

@Orizio - this is what I mean about people having their minds made up in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Mayo v Cork , April 29th Throw in 4pm ...referee Maurice Deegan.

They were pretty much nothing like that at the weekend, played a tonne of fast, direct ball.

@Orizio - this is what I mean about people having their minds made up in advance.

Correct. I have clearly said in here how ANNOYING it is to follow the footballers as a result of their style of play. But it was certainly refreshing to see how they could be more potent with the fast ball they used for alot of the Down game. Were they to focus on that style of play, I firmly believe they could turn into an awesome team.

Not to burst your bubble, but Down are awful defensively, just awful.

Not to burst your bubble, but Down are awful defensively, just awful.

You may well be right but they got to the semi of the league - with all their defensive frailities!

Maybe the good play of the Cork forwards made them look poor.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Football was last weekend lads. Opinions on the hurling? Cork vs Tipp Sunday 4pm @ Thurles.

I think the hurlers are shaping up well this year. The team is young and is reminding me of the young blood that came through in 99. JBM is working well with them. I think we can beat Tipp if we can pull out a good performance.

4 changes made from last game: Conor o Sullivan, John Gardiner, Niall Mac and Luke o Farrell are called up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement