Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Glen were compeltely destroyed,were very flat,out on their feet.
    Very tired.
    Poor for cork hurling sars won,an average team,but fine in club comfort zone

Tadhg murphy,fraggie,o loughlin,cian mac nothing to offer cork at senior.
    They will be beaten in munster again.They will be blown away in the gaelic grounds if the hunger is there with Na Piarsaigh.Sars have no chance in munster,and arent that great,teams in cork believe the hype,give them too much respect others out of cork wont.
    When you see cussen coming on.,it shows how sars could relax.

Talk of how great sars are is nonense,shows how poor cork club scence was the last few years.

Willan kearney,maybee but they have no new cork players to add to the set up.
    When ray ryan is man of the match imo tells it own story imo.

Its unfair and total disrrespect to a team in the county final to expect a team play a final imo,3rd week in a row.
    Clear as day,in the warm up ,they were flat.
    As for patrick horgan,no excuse,to miss handy frees
    Just when you think he turned a corner,last year he was for a senior all start,shocking,absoulty dismal no excuse.
    He needs to seriously up it for cork next year,if he doesnt in the league ,drop him,simple as.
    Cody would,cork must do the same.He will never be or should be cork captain in the future.A captain must lead.
    Yes tomas mulchay and finbarr maccarthy wont like it ,and wouldnt like it if hes dropped.but who cares,there not picking the cork senior hurling team.

The glen are not that bad though.
    They were way off the pace all over the field against a slow team clear as day they were tired.
    To say there the worst team get to a county since 2008 ,im not sure,they beat good teams along the way.
    It wont be a long long time before there in a county again,dooling,kennfick,minors,shane milner to come back from injury,they will be back .

Wexford proved it ,this year,were tired v limerick,kilkenny had a run v cork,playing a week after,you have a chance,two weeks you may three weeks was my huge worry,it proved to be.
    As for pa callaghan,lad has always been great,hasnt improved in hes always been great just been on awful coached minor teams,so he never had a stage to showcase hes talents.
    He wont opt to play senior for cork ,it seems,not fully right yet.
    Would be fine for u 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

considering cork won the munster title and were then hammered in the all ireland semi final where do they stand under your criteria?

Munster champions and not good enough this year to go any further. No denying the performance against Tipp was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Does callaghan just mind himself and not want to play for cork until he's older or does he have some injury problems? Good on him either way, plenty of fellas can get ruined trying to play senior when too young. His performance today was absolutely stellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A real men against boys county final today. Horgan was brutal and could have seen reef I think for the swing of the Hurley around the head in the second half under the stand., cian mc got a yellow instead. Only saw the swing in the replay.
    SARS might actually have a chance in Munster this year. They are well balanced and won in second gear today. Granted glen were brutal but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Hoggie and Steve Mac should have seen red for wild pulls.

sean mac wrote: »
    glen being absolutely humiliated, the worst team to get to a county final since bride rovers in 2008. Sara 1-10 glena pitiful pathetic 3 points

2008 county final was best in the last. Fifteen years junior.

• Advertisement

Brillant read,article on ger cunningham today in the sunday times christy.o.connor,saying he is the man for Dublin.

Christy is normally right on managers bar cuthbhert who he got it competly wrong saying cuthbhert would be excellent.
    Far far,from excellent,well below acceptable.,not even remotely close imo,and hes lucky he is not in sligo or westmeath,they would have sacked him,lets be honest.

corks awful performance was always on the cards,when cork were awful as i said during the league,and div 1b would hinder,of course the do not panic,brigade and happy go lucky fans,had preached,its early ,that division wont hinder cork,but could actually help us .Hopefully they learned the lessons of the past.

Paddy ,pa had back injuries,but id say under the right manager as u 21,is a short season could have played .
    Unlike horgan,who on hes day is great on a bad day he is truly awful,callaghan still works hard on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Hello Corkmen, A cat here, forgive me for gate crashing your forum, look forward to a battle with ye next year and glad Jbm stayed (legend) I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I wrote it after the drawn game, I could probably put another verse about the replay on now but anyway enjoy and pass it on if you like it!

Kanturk beat tracton in the fourth round 1-18 to Tracton 2-13
    Brick was outstanding at centre forward,one five from play,tracton would have won but for Aidan walsh swapping from midfield back to centre back,to curb him under the high ball as he was too great for John browne(not the Cork John Browne)to mark.
    Brick by name Brick by nature in he was all credit due immensly solid,resoute,in hail,rain or snow,a fine hurler that i rate very highely and has lots of hurling skills but unlike patrick horgan,real dog inner resolve when the going gets tough.
    To answer your query Kerry Dude the only word that truly justifes Shane Bricks season for Tracton imo is Great.

I hope to jesus we get honest down to earth journalism tommorrow but one in particular,tommorrow i fear will get carried away with the win and laud them now with their fourth win in six years as a Great team up their with newtown.
    Lets keep it real please ,todays senior game was bad enough for cork hurling as it is.

Yes congrats to sars,savage win for them.
    But to compare them to newtown,is an insult,it will be done wait and see,as sars couldnt win a munster, newtown won two club munsters,two all ireland finals for ,winning one.That defines Great.
    Sars were a good club team in its four county titles.
    Eu
    When sars win a munster then i will credit them more
    Who i will lavish credit on is pat ryan,an outstanding manager,second county title,with an average old team ,he got them to deliver them more.
    Should be involved in cork underage down the line imo but he may not have the commitment for intercounty.
    Top,top coach,congrats and well done to Pat Ryan,a very shrewd modern day manager imo.

For the love of jesus,i hope no one mentions cian mac,tadhg og murphy,roche,pat ryan or cussen for cork next year.Just wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Christy Ring and Jack Lynch will be turning in their graves with that display from Glen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Poor Pa Horgan getting an awful unjustified doing in here. Sure he's been stink at times but he's one of the top forwards in the country and has beaten teams on his own for Cork, when they needed him most he's delivered the vast majority of the time. He's a form type player where if he's gunning then he's up there if not the best player in the country. Back off him a little ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Poor Pa Horgan getting an awful unjustified doing in here. Sure he's been stink at times but he's one of the top forwards in the country and has beaten teams on his own for Cork, when they needed him most he's delivered the vast majority of the time. He's a form type player where if he's gunning then he's up there if not the best player in the country. Back off him a little ffs.

FFs what does this say about him? he has to be in the mood? would this do with cody? he is a fine wristy hurler but he is easily put off as douglas and tipp showed. For a former all star to be held scoreless from play in 4 consecutive matches is appalling

2008 county final was best in the last. Fifteen years junior.

My mistake, what I meant to say is the glen were the worst county finalists since bride rovers in 2008

sean mac wrote: »
    My mistake, what I meant to say is the glen were the worst county finalists since bride rovers in 2008

Same thing. Bride Rovers gave SARS a game that day. At least they had heart & spirit and have a never say die attitude. Hoggie just gave up today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Unjustified??? Did you watch the game? He was supposed to be a leading light for his team today and he was bitterly disappointing. Past performances for Cork have nothing to do with it. On today's performance, he was very poor, to think or say otherwise would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Have to say the entry fee of 18-20 euro today for a seat was outrageous for a county final ,its an amateur sport after all.

In regards patrick horgan yes,christ above ring had balls of steel,courage,dog ,bite,teak tough to match hes hurling.

Lynch led a country,inspired it by actions not words like some bluffers and spoofers.
    He was tough but like ring had the.ugliness inside ,to show the beauty on the ptich.
    Superb legends rip to both.

Are im being too harsh on horgan.no.
    Hes the best hurler in the glen and in cork talent wise by a country mile,all star,seven years senior intercounty standard,beat the best defender in the game,yet today against leahy just a club defender,and from frees he was awful.
    People from neutral clubs came to see horgan at least perform ,yes in 2010 he was young,give him the benfit of the doubt,but hes second county final he failed dismally.
    Very very dissapointed in that performance.Simply not accetepable.
    unjustifed critisim horgan,get off the high horse.
    There we go again,cork cant call a spade a spade.
    We have some real beauties as pundits in cork.
    Those that critiise horgan are fully justifed.

Shane Dowling has been accused in limerick for poor mobiliy buts he a step above ,cian mac.
    Its a shame.,as cian has it all otherwise,hurling,hands,workrate,temparment,great hand real bite to him

If dowling or downes go on leahy unlike horgan who just did not want to know,dowling or downes,not as talented ,dowling maybee as horgan both will turn up.
    Yes conor sul had horgan,but leahy had him at times

Adrian breen if hes held by sullivan,its game on as i doubt willlam kearney or even sullivan are suited to dowling,or downes,physicality.
    Thrown in ronan lynch,and he has too much pace for ray ryan or quigley

Cian mccarthy is dangerous in winter conditions,slow club games but if na piarsaigh put a defender on him,and a man behind him there fine.
    In fact with dowling,downes,breen,na piarsaigh who knows could play ronan lynch at midfield but as a sweeping role.Has played it many times,would mean the game wont bypass him,and take the pressure of him as a forward.
    As the minor final proved,he is not full forward,half forward midfield or half back

David breen for all limits as a scoring forward has courage,steel,great courage,tough and abrasive,good in the air,he is a fine defender just the man to mark cussen.
    Cussen has talked the talk,all year,got a raw deal with cork,now is the time to prove himself v breen.

Of course if kilmallock beat na piarsaigh,its a new ball game.
    Sars would have a chance then as sullivan would be suited to mulchay,and paudie o brien and gavin o mahony have been inconsistent all year
    I hate false dawns in sport so i want na piarsagh not kilmallock as they would be a real real test of sars in the gaelic grounds on the ninth of november.

Another factor to take in is Na piarsaigh are repersenting limerick in the munster intermediate football championship, and buckley,downes ,o donughe ,alan dempsey currently injured of their senior hurlers playing football also.
    They won the football for the ist time since 1975,combine the europhia of that,they play the senior hurling county final the 19th,after this week exertions,munster football the 26th october,three weeks in a row for downes etc may be tired and help sarsfields.That imo is the only advantage sars would have over them,if its kilmallock,pat ryan is a better manager than the sparrow imo.But the sparrow knows how to win limerick senior hurling titles as a manager,as he proved with adare.

Na Piarsaigh saving grace may be they have a two weekbreak,once there are no replays from the 26th up to the possible game with Sarsfields ,should they make it to a munster hurling semi final.

Sarsfields have u 16s,minors county winners coming up,bout three years will have a serious side but imo need serious rebuliding to win munster as lot of their current team are fine club players,ideal in this comfort zone of cork,but cant go the next level as proven every time in their last three county winning years.

Ballyhea,will do well not to take lixnaw next up in the Munster Club Championship lightly,should win though but kerry teams have beaten cork teams in the past in this grade.
    Win that and it could be a mouth watering ,semi final v pat hefferanen ,limerick vice chairman,blackrock who have riche mccarthy,just over the border in limerick,or bruff close enough or then agaim croom.Quility the ballyhea coach,im sure has connections to that club.
    Id love ballyhea v blackrock,pa callaghan ,or niall ronan v riche mac.
    Preferably pa to have a spell on riche,a great learning curve from this young muskateer.
    One limerick man coached an intermediate cork county winning team.
    Will peter finn,a limerick man do the same with charville up next against fermoy.
    Finn is the main man behind charville success imo,even though hes named as coach,he was with kilmallock,won munster junior with effin,coached ,intercounty limerick teams,great record at club level to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Shaper, when the going gets tough or tough is in the horizon, missing........ any corner back worth his salt would fancy it, bar mc donnell , they must love marking each other.

Shaper, when the going gets tough or tough is in the horizon, missing........ any corner back worth his salt would fancy it, bar mc donnell , they must love marking each other.

Who do you mean?

• Advertisement

Who do you mean?

Horgan I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

I hope to jesus we get honest down to earth journalism tommorrow but one in particular,tommorrow i fear will get carried away with the win and laud them now with their fourth win in six years as a Great team up their with newtown.
    Lets keep it real please ,todays senior game was bad enough for cork hurling as it is.

Who are you referring to TTM?

Who are you referring to TTM?

Not you denis,great harty cup coverage by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Zardoz wrote: »
    Have to say the entry fee of 18-20 euro today for a seat was outrageous for a county final ,its an amateur sport after all.

Yeah 20 would be a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I just think its a sign how much Cork hurling has slipped when Pa is the leading light, leaders are absent..... has all the flicks/touches but he would make the Tipp team but would he make the Kilkenny team?

20 for two finals imo is fair enough
    u21 games,etc can be too pricey

Talent wise horgan would walk on the kilkenny team,consistency and big game performance,i dont think cody would have him on the panel.
    Tipp,he would make it,as there like ourseleves at times
    Would davy play him?
    Im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Well done to Ballyhea! They were the better team in the end. Newcestown, as expected, fought until the end but it was pure natural hurling that won it for Ballyhea. Fair dues to them. Ballyhea, a tiny rural spot but with a huge passion for hurling got some success that they longed for, a county and back up to Senior Hurling again. They literally live and breath the game of hurling down there and are passionate about it. Credit to Newcestown too, another small spot, senior football, Premier Intermediate Hurling and their Junior hurlers are a fine team too!

What a display by Pa O'Callaghan! He is turning out to be a star in the making, improved a lot this year. He seems to have the right physique now for high standard level adult hurling. He shows his crazy bursts of pace at times. It was his point taking that was out of this world today, each and every one of them better than the next. He can perform on the big day. He is the one lad that has perfected the skill of the solo run, has pace, can weave around lads and finish with a score off the stick. He caught two magnificent high balls too. He will surely be called up to the Cork Senior Hurlers next year! Outstanding stuff by him!

Credit to John Morissey, Gavin Morrissey, Mikey Browne, Barry Coleman, Maurice O'Sullivan and more for great performances also. They play Lixnaw next without Neil Ronan in two weeks time, according to C103 in Mallow.

The Senior Final was poor and summed up the whole Senior Championship, lacking a bit of bite and sheer good hurling. Another non performance by Horgan and a non performance by the Glen today in general. Donal Cronin and Brian Moylan were the only lads doing well really for them. O'Sullivan, Kearney and McCarthy doing well again for Sars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wasn't he asked on to the panel last year but declined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Orizio wrote: »
    Wasn't he asked on to the panel last year but declined?

O'Callaghan? I thought it was the U-21s he opted out of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement