Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Canty is only 31 - not past it at all. Has been plagued by injuries in the last few years, but an injury free Canty is capable to being back to his best imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

shockframe wrote: »
    Id say anyone who is good enough from that team has been promoted already.A number of players from that team have not performed at senior - Gould, Lynch,Carey, Goulding (2010 AI-final aside)

Ref was poor granted but I thought cork were woeful.3 years on from beating kerry in the pairc it looked as if they had entered a glorious era but kerry are still nearly ahead of them.

Cork can point to injuries and players missing but they would still have problems even with a full strength squad.their style is play is too predictable and will be dealt with come the summer by the big teams.Corks management seem to be slow to react in situations at times.

That said cork have often been good in the league over the last 3 years which has led to overconfidence that has been their undoing in the summer so a bad day today might be of benefit in the long run.
    Personally I think there's a few more players from those under 21 teams who should be given a try on the team. I wasn't happy with the team's performance today but there's a long year there yet. The half back line for me would be the area of most concern. Counihan and the management team need to freshen things up in areas of the field or else we'll fall short again this Summer.

Canty is only 31 - not past it at all. Has been plagued by injuries in the last few years, but an injury free Canty is capable to being back to his best imo.
    Unfortunately IMO I feel that his past injuries have taken their toll on him and I don't think he's capable of playing the full 70 minutes in a championship game come Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »

Cheers, link at the bottom for the hurling game against Kerry aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Thoroughly enjoyed the match yesterday and I thought Armagh fully deserved their point. Armagh's performance was borne out of great pride, intensity and determination, and with a bit more luck could have won the match.

I'm interested to hear the negative reaction to the referee from so many who watched on TV. I'll hold my hands up and say that we probably had the benefit of decisions in the second half and Kerrigan was unlucky to see the line, but similarly I thought Cork were the recipients of some generosity from Syl Doyle in the first half.

The reality is that the performance of the referee is outside of anyone's control and you simply have to knuckle down and get on with it. I personally would have thought that Cork will be there or thereabouts come September, so in that regard I thought Cork were desperately disappointing yesterday.

I can assure you - at full strength we are not going to break any delph this year, and we were missing the Rangers contingent, Ronan Clarke, Stevie McDonnell and Kieran Toner in midfield. If Cork have All Ireland ambitions for 2012, they should be beating the likes of that Armagh side sent out yesterday, and when they don't, they should look beyond the performance of the referee to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thoroughly enjoyed the match yesterday and I thought Armagh fully deserved their point. Armagh's performance was borne out of great pride, intensity and determination, and with a bit more luck could have won the match.

I'm interested to hear the negative reaction to the referee from so many who watched on TV. I'll hold my hands up and say that we probably had the benefit of decisions in the second half and Kerrigan was unlucky to see the line, but similarly I thought Cork were the recipients of some generosity from Syl Doyle in the first half.

The reality is that the performance of the referee is outside of anyone's control and you simply have to knuckle down and get on with it. I personally would have thought that Cork will be there or thereabouts come September, so in that regard I thought Cork were desperately disappointing yesterday.

I can assure you - at full strength we are not going to break any delph this year, and we were missing the Rangers contingent, Ronan Clarke, Stevie McDonnell and Kieran Toner in midfield. If Cork have All Ireland ambitions for 2012, they should be beating the likes of that Armagh side sent out yesterday, and when they don't, they should look beyond the performance of the referee to explain it.

Agreed, looks like Cork are going nowhere this year. An exceptional performance like that from suck a weak Armagh side though, makes them dark horses for the AI imo.

Agreed, looks like Cork are going nowhere this year. An exceptional performance like that from suck a weak Armagh side though, makes them dark horses for the AI imo.

Agreed - and I'd say we both agree that Syl Doyle will get the All Ireland Final? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You'd think they could get the venue correct!!

The ref give a lot of handy frees, to both sides. In the second half Armagh were doing the running at the defence, so got the benefit.

Encouraging to see some spirit in the Armagh team and a willingness in the second half to get stuck in and tackle, block etc. This is something they had in their heyday, but have lost in the meantime.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Encouraging to see some spirit in the Armagh team and a willingness in the second half to get stuck in and tackle, block etc. This is something they had in their heyday, but have lost in the meantime.

Agreed with that and it's no coincidence that this appears to be returning with the the return of Paul Grimley. It was great to see him on the line yesterday. We may be lacking in quality players, but as long as the team plays with pride and passion, then I'll have no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

tough but fair post! i quite like Armagh, they play proper honest hard working football and they are not as bad as some of the performances they have put in recent years. I remember last year's league game in Cork, one Cork had to win to qualify for the Final and were confident in doing so. Armagh were brilliant that day too and showed more guts that day then many recent championship outings.

Its still only early February though, I'd be worried if Cork were peaking now! I just hope Counihan keeps trying new players and combinations because the team is looking stale, especially the Half-Back Line, Canty, Kissane and Nollaig are all excellent players but also all also pushing on a bit.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    tough but fair post! i quite like Armagh, they play proper honest hard working football and they are not as bad as some of the performances they have put in recent years. I remember last year's league game in Cork, one Cork had to win to qualify for the Final and were confident in doing so. Armagh were brilliant that day too and showed more guts that day then many recent championship outings.

Its still only early February though, I'd be worried if Cork were peaking now! I just hope Counihan keeps trying new players and combinations because the team is looking stale, especially the Half-Back Line, Canty, Kissane and Nollaig are all excellent players but also all also pushing on a bit.

Thanks for that. My original post here was meant to call it as I saw it, not to rub people up the wrong way. I'm convinced that last year can be a blessing in disguise for Cork as I feel injuries caught up with them and they did not give a true account of themselves.

I was very impressed with the sheer size of the Cork players yesterday, and there's no doubt the power they possess will make them formidable opponents in the late Summer.

That said, I thought Armagh were there for the taking yesterday and was surprised to see Cork funnell so many players back behind the ball when we were in possession. It's possible they may have had more luck if they had been more psoitive in their gameplan, but that said, maybe yesterday was an attempt here to establish an effective gameplan for later in the year when Kerry and Dublin loom on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Thanks for that. My original post here was meant to call it as I saw it, not to rub people up the wrong way. I'm convinced that last year can be a blessing in disguise for Cork as I feel injuries caught up with them and they did not give a true account of themselves.

I was very impressed with the sheer size of the Cork players yesterday, and there's no doubt the power they possess will make them formidable opponents in the late Summer.

That said, I thought Armagh were there for the taking yesterday and was surprised to see Cork funnell so many players back behind the ball when we were in possession. It's possible they may have had more luck if they had been more psoitive in their gameplan, but that said, maybe yesterday was an attempt here to establish an effective gameplan for later in the year when Kerry and Dublin loom on the horizon?

They have been trying this in pre season games...full back line was way too isolated at times last year...way too much space in front of them. space like that is a nightmare! Its early days too....without some sigerson players and as mentioned trying to alter the style of play....plenty of time before the real games start. I wouldnt be panicking yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Heads up, I'll be starting the blog up again this Sunday with a report from Kerry/Cork, so do me a favour and subscribe to the blog and follow me on twitter...

http://corkgaa.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/CorkGAABlog

Cheers. :pac:

Great match report on the Armagh game, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Paul Kerrigan got his 2 match ban over turned, rightly so also, disgrace to send him off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Paul Kerrigan got his 2 match ban over turned, rightly so also, disgrace to send him off

That's good news alright - correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yep, I think everyone agreed that the sending off was ridiculous. Correct decision. Pity a decision had to be made at all.

Kerrigan a welcome addition back to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard luck to Charleville today. They lost of by point in end. 1-13 to 1-12:(

Still been fantastic season and all should be proud of their efforts.

Thought they would sneak through, a real pity, would have rounded off the season well for them.

• Advertisement

Armagh beating Kerry today might put bit of perspective on our result last week.

Not saying it was acceptable performance, but Armagh may deserve more credit then we give them now.

Armagh beating Kerry today might put bit of perspective on our result last week.

Not saying it was acceptable performance, but Armagh may deserve more credit then we give them now.

Don't think so to be honest. Probably had more to do with Kerry's attitude on the night. It will be interesting to see them in the next few games but I don't think they are up to much. I might be basing that on their total crap first half against us though....time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Also must be remembered we played Armagh with 14 men for a large chunk of the game away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thought they would sneak through, a real pity, would have rounded off the season well for them.

Pity alright about the result but in fairness we can't fault them at all for their efforts, they were in it till the end and a puck of a ball seperated them at the end. They can still hold their heads up high.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yep, I think everyone agreed that the sending off was ridiculous. Correct decision. Pity a decision had to be made at all.

It was a bad decision alright. When I saw the replay I wasn't sure what he was sent off for.

Armagh are a tough physical side and deserve great credit for the two games they have played against what are the top 2 or 3 best sides in the country. Never write Kerry off though, they will always be around no matter what team they have. Cork were poor last week too but I wouldn't be too worried at this time of year. I would be more worried if they were peaking at this time of year.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Armagh are a tough physical side and deserve great credit for the two games they have played against what are the top 2 or 3 best sides in the country. Never write Kerry off though, they will always be around no matter what team they have. Cork were poor last week too but I wouldn't be too worried at this time of year. I would be more worried if they were peaking at this time of year.

Oh trust me anybody would be fool to write of Kerry last week proved that, but think Armagh may be better the we think that's what I meant.

Agree that no need to be peaking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any word on Down's team for today?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any word on Down's team for today?

Cork V Down

Brendan McVeigh

Owen Costello Daniel McCartan Damian Turley

Keith Quinn Liam Doyle Gerard Mc Cartan

Peter Turley Aidan Brannigan

Mark Poland Aidan Carr Dan Gordon

Danny Hughes Conor Laverty Brendan Coulter

• Advertisement

Well done Cork footballers today on a comprehensive 4-11 to 0-10 win over Down. I was a bit harsh on them last week for their performance in Armagh but in fairness Armagh showed last night that they are a seriously good side even without the Crossmaglen regulars. Listened to the game on C103fm and Cork sounded very impressive and seemed to be dominant in all sectors of the field and 4 goals is another impressive and welcome statistic. Well done Cork,more of the same for the rest of the league!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement