Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nice one!

Hopefully 3 more trophies to come for senior footballer's this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Armagh v Cork live on TG4 next Sunday at 2 30pm. I might give a trip up North for this game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Armagh v Cork live on TG4 next Sunday at 2 30pm. I might give a trip up North for this game.

Weather wise next weekend is fairly shítty apparently, arctic winds and snow possible - especially up North - It'll be feet up in front of the fire for me! Great that it's on the box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

any team news for this game? think im working while this is on and im in toronto so difficult to see these games. if anyone has links or any way to watch RTE player for sunday sport, it would be much appreciated.

will they go for mostly McGrath Cup side or make sweeping changes? also, is Aidan Walsh coming back, think he is in Oz at them moment...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

afaik Walsh is back from Oz this weekend. I'd say they'd want to play a strong enough team, there probably will be a number of changes from the weekend - team is being named tonight

• Advertisement

afaik Walsh is back from Oz this weekend. I'd say they'd want to play a strong enough team, there probably will be a number of changes from the weekend - team is being named tonight

cheers rebel girl, will look out for the team tonight, it'll prob be a mix of established and experiential first 15. the mcgrath cup side was actually quite weak in some areas, I read that a different 15 played against Dublin only a day or 2 before the game against Tipp.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Team named
    1.Ken O' Halloran - Bishopstown
    2. Ray Carey - Clyda Rovers
    3. Michael Shields - St. Finbarrs
    4. Eoin Cadogen - Douglas
    5. Noel O'Leary - Cill na Martra
    6. Graham Canty - Bantry Blues
    7. Paudie Kissane - Clyda Rovers
    8. Alan O Connor - St Colums
    9. Pearse O Neill - Aghada
    10. Fintan Goold - Macroom
    11. Patrick Kelly - Ballincollig
    12. Conor O'Driscoll - Ilen Rovers
    13. Colm O' Neill - Ballyclough
    14. Donncha O'Connor - Ballydesmond
    15. Paul Kerrigan - Nemo Rangers

Quite a strong line-up - nice to see O Driscoll getting his game

is he the same o driscoll that was wing back during the league last year?

Disappointed in that side to be honest, not a lot of experimentation, a lot of guys of the mcgrath cup winning side going to be disappointed.

Personally would like to see kevin harrington in the full back line, sean kiely in the wing back line. Last season showed us that our half backs are starting to get a bit old, need some more freshness there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Team named
    1.Ken O' Halloran - Bishopstown
    2. Ray Carey - Clyda Rovers
    3. Michael Shields - St. Finbarrs
    4. Eoin Cadogen - Douglas
    5. Noel O'Leary - Cill na Martra
    6. Graham Canty - Bantry Blues
    7. Paudie Kissane - Clyda Rovers
    8. Alan O Connor - St Colums
    9. Pearse O Neill - Aghada
    10. Fintan Goold - Macroom
    11. Patrick Kelly - Ballincollig
    12. Conor O'Driscoll - Ilen Rovers
    13. Colm O' Neill - Ballyclough
    14. Donncha O'Connor - Ballydesmond
    15. Paul Kerrigan - Nemo Rangers

Quite a strong line-up - nice to see O Driscoll getting his game

Same old same old then.

Heads up, I'll be starting the blog up again this Sunday with a report from Kerry/Cork, so do me a favour and subscribe to the blog and follow me on twitter...

http://corkgaa.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/CorkGAABlog

Cheers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

You're more loyal than most... I wouldn't consider it if it was sunny to be honest for that distant. Good man you are!

I'll be in Páirc Uí Rinn tomorrow to see out of curiosity what sort of a set up we may have for the year and also to see how Meyler is progressing Kerry (or if so)..

Water Crystal Cup 1st Round @ 3pm. €5 admission

Blue Magic wrote: »
    You're more loyal than most... I wouldn't consider it if it was sunny to be honest for that distant. Good man you are!

I'll be in Páirc Uí Rinn tomorrow to see out of curiosity what sort of a set up we may have for the year and also to see how Meyler is progressing Kerry (or if so)..

Water Crystal Cup 1st Round @ 3pm. €5 admission
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up to Armagh tomorrow. I had planned to go with my brother and 1st cousin travelling with me but my wife has to work tomorrow so that's me and my small lad on the couch tomorrow looking at it. I have a good friend from that part of the country with whom I worked with in Dublin in the early 2000's and back then I used to go up there for a few games.

While some are expressing disappointment about the clash with the rugby game TG4 will have my attention tomorrow! Personally I would like to have seen some more new faces on the team for tomorrow. Best of luck to the hurlers today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

HT Armagh 0-01 v 1-03 Cork.

Kerrigan sent off after 30 mins. It's certainly getting more competitive now.
    Cork should be further ahead but have decided to be very shy at shooting at the posts but got a very lucky goal.
    Armagh have only scored because O'Halloran gave away a stupid free.
    I expect to see a few more for an early shower.

FT Armagh 0-10 v 1-07 Cork

Armagh in the first half never even looked like they would score. The player advantage was huge in the second half and allowed Armagh more posession and they came back into the game strongly.
    Cork could and probably should have been further ahead at ht and that caught up with them at the end.

Watched the last ten minutes, though some of the tackles were very rugby like tbh - some obvious fouls not being given

What a dreadful performance by Cork! I'd suppose with Kerrigan getting himself stupidly sent off before half time was always going to affect the team but they were truly awful today!

This was a game against an Armagh team who were missing the Crossmaglen lads which were huge losses for them and even allowing for the fact that it was an away game for Cork I still expected this Cork team to beat Armagh but in the end I was thankful for a draw! Major improvements needed by Cork IMO.

Watched the last ten minutes, though some of the tackles were very rugby like tbh - some obvious fouls not being given
    The referee in general was very poor and inconsistent I thought. While I have no qualms about Kerrigan been sent off the Armagh centre back McKeever was a very lucky boy to stay on the field,twice he should have got a straight red card. Also young Mark Collins was the victim of some robust tackles at times by a few of the Armagh defenders but fair play to the kid he got up and played on and didn't make a song and dance about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Didn't see the sending off but I was told it seemed harsh.Armagh's centre back should have walked shortly after half time for an elbow on Mark Collins too.All the soft frees seemed to Armaghs way in the 2nd half but plenty of room for improvement on our side for sure.Good to see Canty get 70 mins under his belt too.With Kelly, O' Neill, Goulding and Sheehan to come back you'd expect us to get better as the year goes on.

I saw Denis O Sullivan twice being blatently pushed into the back, and nothing given - and twice Armagh got soft free kicks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Taught Cork would be giveing a few more young lads runs in the league this year but its the same old faces

lala88 wrote: »
    Taught Cork would be giveing a few more young lads runs in the league this year but its the same old faces
    As a Cork fan I'd like to see more young lads from the 2007 and 2009 under 21 All Ireland winning teams getting a starting place on the team for the league games.

As a Cork fan I'd like to see more young lads from the 2007 and 2009 under 21 All Ireland winning teams getting a starting place on the team for the league games.

I taught more over in the half back line alot of miles on the clock by the lads there today

lala88 wrote: »
    I taught more over in the half back line alot of miles on the clock by the lads there today
    I totally agree the half back line tired a lot in the 2nd half. I think all 3 of them could struggle in the championship IMO.

I totally agree the half back line tired a lot in the 2nd half. I think all 3 of them could struggle in the championship IMO.

Yes they can get away with it on the soft grand but could struggle once it get harder and the pase is faster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Haven't seen cork cleaned out in midfield in such a fashion in a long, long time. They were non existent there for large parts of the second half. I hope it was a case of the extra man and not a trend that'll continue.

Cork looked likely to score going forward in second half once they had possession though. Young Collins lad did ok.

Ref for piss poor to be honest. There were a Armagh elbows thrown that were much more deserving of a red than Kerrigans.

Did anyone else see words exchanged between Counihan and Armagh manager at the end? It seemed like the were exchanging more than pleasantries.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Haven't seen cork cleaned out in midfield in such a fashion in a long, long time. They were non existent there for large parts of the second half. I hope it was a case of the extra man and not a trend that'll continue.

Cork looked likely to score going forward in second half once they had possession though. Young Collins lad did ok.

Ref for piss poor to be honest. There were a Armagh elbows thrown that were much more deserving of a red than Kerrigans.

Did anyone else see words exchanged between Counihan and Armagh manager at the end? It seemed like the were exchanging more than pleasantries.
    Yeah I saw that. It seemed Counhian was unhappy with O'Rourke about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Good to get talking to a few people who made the trip from Cork for the game,
    fair play to them as that's some journey.

Thought the ref was poor today, a lot of very soft frees. Sending off made all the difference,
    Armagh were much more effective when they ran at the Cork
    back line.

Counihan and Grimley seemed to be having a slagging match on the sideline,
    seemed to start after the sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shockframe

Id say anyone who is good enough from that team has been promoted already.A number of players from that team have not performed at senior - Gould, Lynch,Carey, Goulding (2010 AI-final aside)

Ref was poor granted but I thought cork were woeful.3 years on from beating kerry in the pairc it looked as if they had entered a glorious era but kerry are still nearly ahead of them.

Cork can point to injuries and players missing but they would still have problems even with a full strength squad.their style is play is too predictable and will be dealt with come the summer by the big teams.Corks management seem to be slow to react in situations at times.

That said cork have often been good in the league over the last 3 years which has led to overconfidence that has been their undoing in the summer so a bad day today might be of benefit in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 eoghan_85

I'd have my doubts as regards what this Cork team will achieve this year. The defence is fragile and was exposed last year. Canty is too old, Carey not good enough, O'Leary probably past his best too. Midfield brutal today and is very inconsistent - Nicholas Murphy has been the most important player on the team for the last few years and held the whole thing together imo. I think we have the best forwards in the country but our style of play doesnt get the best out of them.
    Furthermore, I do not rate C Counihan as a manager. Despite winning an all-Ireland, that was a long time coming and was on the back of some of the best U21 teams we've ever produced. He's shown on plenty of occasions that he's incapable of implementing a plan B when we're in trouble (i.e. Mayo last yr, Kerry on numerous occasions). Would much prefer a shrewder manager.
    Still, early days in the year and wouldn't write Cork off yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement