Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Please note that these fixtures are provisional and subject to change.

Allianz Football League Division 1 2014

Sunday February 2nd: Cork v Westmeath

Sunday February 9th: Cork v Kildare

Saturday March 1st: Dublin v Cork.

Sunday March 9th: Cork v Derry;

Sunday March 16th: Mayo v Cork;

Sunday March 30th: Cork v Tyrone; .

Sunday April 6th: Kerry v Cork;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Good wins yesterday for St. Facthna's and DLS Macroom in the Corn Ui Mhuiri yesterday. Facthna's beat St. Brendans Kilarney and DLS beat Tralee.

Chriost Ri got an all merciful hiding from Colaiste na Sceilge though

slingerz wrote: »
    Good wins yesterday for St. Facthna's and DLS Macroom in the Corn Ui Mhuiri yesterday. Facthna's beat St. Brendans Kilarney and DLS beat Tralee.

Chriost Ri got an all merciful hiding from Colaiste na Sceilge though

Michael hurley only 17 bro of brian,sub sunday,a minor this year got 2-4 or around that for facthnas,he is as good as brian.

Noel o leary retired,what player,what a servant.Great ,player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Unfortunate to see Noely hang up the boots, what a servant to the blood and bandage. Cant help feel he jumped before being pushed given how soon after manager announcement. Must have been waiting to see who got it before deciding. Considering how badly needed he was last year and not played instead of attacking half backs who dont or cant defend, i can understand why he doesnt want to hang around. Still good enough, gone too early, some man for one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Has frank just gone and put back the dates of the hurling county finals over the international rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Horse84 wrote: »
    Has frank just gone and put back the dates of the hurling county finals over the international rules?

I think I heard that if Sars won they'd have option to get it put back a week so they wouldn't be out 4 weeks in a row or something to that degree..

Could be clash for Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan in the Intermediate Final too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wish Noel all the best. A great servant to Cork.

Surprised its quite in here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Wish Noel all the best. A great servant to Cork.

Surprised its quite in here today.

One thing is sure he left it all out there.even the kerry fellas liked him, you could tell that by the abuse he got

Blue Magic wrote: »
    I think I heard that if Sars won they'd have option to get it put back a week so they wouldn't be out 4 weeks in a row or something to that degree..

Could be clash for Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan in the Intermediate Final too

Finals are on the 3rd,were pt back.

Kanturk have an intermediate football game wed after against glanmire postponed another wk.

All for a joke of the aussie rules.It should be scraped.A complete and utter waste of time,like that shinty affair in hurling.

keep going wrote: »
    One thing is sure he left it all out there.even the kerry fellas liked him, you could tell that by the abuse he got
    Despite their battles Galvin had great respect for him.He texted Noelie after the Down final to congraulate him.

He recogonised the same bravery,steel,courage and unselfish attuide he had as a player,in himself.

Their was mutal respect off the field as both players had the same attuitde to the game.

Noelie was the heart and soul of cork for nearly ten years.

Theres talk he would have stayed if Cleary was their.To be honest ,if he stayed with ,cuthbhert,I would not start him.

Cuthbhert must do a JBM ,out with the old and in with the new.
    Hes 34 and lost that pace,and you need pace at half back against Dublin.

Kissane and canty and o connor should retire.If they dont ,they should be subs at best.

Cork have a lot of rich talented half back and midfield with potential that must now be deveoloped.

The likes of kevin crowley,the two clancys,cahalane,loughrey,rory o sullivan, michael o laoire,Ian maguire,Rory Deane, and Cathal vaughan must all be looked at for half back and midfield.

With Aidan walsh a starter,their is plenty of options to find him a partner.

And the half back line is the same,we just need to get the balance right and games.

Starting o leary,kissane or Canty etc wont do that.
    Time for the next generation and leaders to emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Noel is 32 not 34 and was going regardless of who came in. he held off on his announcement out of respect to tell the incumbent of his decision

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

there a few more who should retire on the panal need to bring in younger players

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

All for a joke of the aussie rules.It should be scraped.A complete and utter waste of time,like that shinty affair in hurling.

There is absolutely no correlation between the compromise rules and shinty, compromise rules is a made up PR stunt, Shinty is a game that has been played for over 300 years and is very much a 'real' sport. Agree with your sentiments on the compromise rules though.

Fair play to Midelton,beat a highly fancied blackwater 1-14 to 2-10 in the Dean Ryan cup semifinal.

Garan Manley and Seanaid Smith (played centre back)i have seen him as a corner back before,meant to been outstanding.

A great result for Cork schools.

Ger Cunnigham meant to be offered the limerick job.

He should go ,too much of an oppurtinty to say no.He wnt get a top job in cork.As sad i would be c him go,i hope he does,a fine manager deserves a chance at the top.

And the powers to be in it would seem unlikely give him one in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MAXELLROSE

Noel is 32 not 34 and was going regardless of who came in. he held off on his announcement out of respect to tell the incumbent of his decision

NOEL is 31 , he won a minor all Ireland in 2000,man of the match.He has been on the senior panel since Oct 2000.Did a super marking job on Marty Clarke in the 2010 final.Correct choice for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MAXELLROSE

NOEL is 31 , he won a minor all Ireland in 2000,man of the match.He has been on the senior panel since Oct 2000.Did a super marking job on Marty Clarke in the 2010 final.Correct choice for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If its true about Cunningham I would stay well away from Limerick.

You cant please them.

Noel imo was a underrated player. Much better player then some gave him credit for.

If its true about Cunningham I would stay well away from Limerick.

You cant please them.

Noel imo was a underrated player. Much better player then some gave him credit for.

I think it the same story he has with the Cork county board.It is known he only involved with cork now as jbm nt the board wanted him on board.

He wnt get the cork job,or any job in cork.

He doesnt meet the boards minnium criterita.

Cunnigham is a players man,astute manager,will want best prepartion for hes team.

The fiasco that has become with the league,Cleary nt deemed okay for the job,a manager that as one paper said distinctly overwhelmed in hes terunre as minor manager ,gets promoted,Cunnigham wd be a fool nt to go to limerick.

Limerick have the players,they had a manager last year that tactially,like i said at the start of may would hold them back.

Next year they will have a top coach,plays players in positions suits their strength than weakness,unlike allen who did vice versa,and cunnigham if takes it will have a top class backroom team with him.

They will be a serious team.

I hope he goes.When u ,see the u21 manager job ,its a joke.

Limerick will appreciate him.

Orizio wrote: »
    No offence but the vast majority of lads you mentioned won't be anywhere near senior inter-county standard. Pa O'Callaghan is the only lad we can expect to make it from the players you mentioned. Club hurling in Cork is mediocre at best and two of our last three Minor teams were awful. And I typically go to 60 plus hurling club games a year.

Anyway absolutely none of this means Ger Cunningham had the slightest bit of interest in the Cork U-21 job this year. Unless you have some kind of proof backing up what you said regarding this point, there is nothing to discuss - Ger Cunningham was passed over for the senior job certainly, but not the U-21 one.

That wasnt the original point,senior intercounty.The point you made earlier,that they were not u21 talent availble.

I do agree from the list,that probably a few only senior talent.But like i said,at u21,bar clare,i woudnt be in awe of the rest,if cunnigham was a manager he could at the very least make us competitve,and certainly a munster within reach.

I would strongly dissagree that from my list pa callaghan is the only senior prospect.

Do you not think Cadogan cnt make it?
    On the 32 panel this year,for a small man,he is tough,abrasive,and unlike what we have in sum players can take punishment,and win dirty ball.

Forget bt the tipp game this year.I wouldnt judge any one player n that game,as like i posted that wk of the game,cork would loose.Ger fitz credit due,suprised me do,he actually surpassed hes own standards from the last 3 years,in that cork were a lot worse.

Cadogan even against nemo this year in the football,tk punishment survied.

He got two from play.Previous game five from Play.

With douglas senior hurling against ballymartle he was outstanding.A big game player,like Eoin no short of confidence.

I would say will start the league.

Michael cahalane ,could be a senior.I have seen him harty cup games this year,and he stands out a mile,which is what you expect..

He got five play at midfield against waterford last year.Big and strong,and very level headed.

The only weakness like cadogan is he is as good at football and must choose.

Cahalane is a hurler first and foremost.

Patrick collins u21 this year and for another three years would make it at senior,but we wnt nd him with nash and mccarthy for a while.

Colm spillane only for injuries would have seen more game time.Playing half forward for club does nt help hes cause.

Ger c would loved the chance to coach u 21 team or minors since 06 when he didnt get u21 job.

He is wasted and unappreciated except by jbm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

The only thing he done was one win at home ,he held the most talented team we had in ten years ,back.

God help us if we play Clare next year.

A big worry is belief,how in the name of jesus can you expect minors that played under him ,expect to have any confidence the next two years.

Like last year good players will be made look poor and ,the usual post mortems will be done ,but no one ,in the media or exp players,will question the managers.

This appointment was pushed through ,cute out.Timing of the board again.

Announce the manager with the football,all the limelight is on that job.No questions on how a man that failed at minor gets promoted.

You would nt see it in any job in the country.

The minor job wont go Landers.

A midelton or sars man.

If landers was going to get it would have surely got it by now.
    Landers done very well when it came to the under17s why not give him a go !

• Advertisement

The cork county board never forget,and landers was part of the 2002 strike .

Newtown 1-10 to kilbrin -4 junior hurling quaterfinal second half kilbrin have a penalty now.

1-10 to 1-4

Sum kilbrin comeback -1-15 to 2-11 egan single handely brought them back and two super frees.

A big shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Could somebody clarify the confusion here regarding Get Cunningham? It now looks certain that he will be the next Limerick manager. I presume his name has been in the hat for a few weeks now. Why then would he want the Cork U21 job? It has been suggested here that he wasn't considerd for the U21 role - I wonder if he was even interested. We all know that the Limerick County Board is awash with money and why wouldn't Ger C like his share.

While I don't necessarily expect him to win anything major with Limerick , I rate him ahead of the last 3 managers - coincidently, all from Cork! What is it with Limerick that it attracts so many Cork men?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Grats wrote: »
    Could somebody clarify the confusion here regarding Get Cunningham? It now looks certain that he will be the next Limerick manager. I presume his name has been in the hat for a few weeks now. Why then would he want the Cork U21 job? It has been suggested here that he wasn't considerd for the U21 role - I wonder if he was even interested. We all know that the Limerick County Board is awash with money and why wouldn't Ger C like his share.

While I don't necessarily expect him to win anything major with Limerick , I rate him ahead of the last 3 managers - coincidently, all from Cork! What is it with Limerick that it attracts so many Cork men?

Cork County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cork GAA @OfficialCorkGAA 1m

East Cork JAHC Final: Castlemartyr 2-16 Sarsfields 2-10 (FT) #CorkGAA13 Castlemartyr meet Kilbrin in County Semi- Final

Thats just nonsense, ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Landers is fave for the Minors...although knowing the CCB they won't give it to him.

TBH if they were going to give him the job, he would have it by now. The fact that they are delaying is ominous, as Landers definitely wants it.

This is not rocket science,County board pick and will always do,their own men.

Im nt sure of what went wrong regards limerick and sheedy.

What i do know is the cork side.

Cunnigham only came in to the running two wks ago,i posted that here after i heard at a harty cup from a well informed scource.

The u21 job People must keep in mind has been free since august,not taken.

It was plain as daylight Cork could have offerd him that job,then stay as a selector with u21 and when jbm goes take it.

He loves cork and i knw for a fact would love to coach any cork team.He didnt ask for the job.Why should he?

He asked in 2006 and gt cold turkey.

He didnt ask,bt the fact their was a u21 job free with the minor as well,for two months and he was never asked if he was interested when others were,its no wonder limerick when they offered it to him ,he would be tempted.

Cunnigham isnt doing it for the money.He is purely a hurling man,and has a close affinity with limerick and the quaids.

Cork as soon as our two previous brains trust of managers ,term at minor and u21 was up ,should of offered him a choice of jobs with ist refusal when jbm went as senior man.

He would id say taken that ,and that would of tied him up before limerick came calling.

I hope he goes,a sad sad day for cork ,but them the last two wks have been same old story.

A top coach deserves shot at title.He wnt get that in cork .He didnt get in the past.

If he goes ,jbm has a huge void to fill.

We have aidan walsh id say next year hurling,so thats positive bt we nd a top coach.A massive blow to cork .

He has always stated an interest in intercounty management.I said this months ago.

Its not that hard surely to c from the ccb,that a team was going to eventually want him,they could have kept him with cork.

William egan immense second half,kilbrin super comeback.

A soft goal,paul morrisey made a bad mistake for a goal and also a mistake led to a 45 that they gt a point.

Egan two monster frees in injury time.

Ben and jerry okay newtown ,nt much ball in the second half.

Ben did get a sublime sideline cut from 40 yards against the wind.

Kilbrin play castlemartyr ,they shocked sarsfields in the other quater final.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Cork GAA @OfficialCorkGAA 1m

East Cork JAHC Final: Castlemartyr 2-16 Sarsfields 2-10 (FT) #CorkGAA13 Castlemartyr meet Kilbrin in County Semi- Final

Thats just nonsense, ignore it.
    He was interested in the underage set up,complete nonense you say otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement