Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'm in heaven!! What a team, what a game! I couldn't watch the last five minutes, the last kick shouldn't have been a free - the Monaghan girl had fouled the ball beforehand.

Into Croke Park today at 9am, what a long day! I'll post again, just heading from Croke Park to the team hotel.

Fair play,delighted for yeah,one of your flags was crooked;-)

Lads we wnt have too much time to dwell.Draw thur night,then county club ganmes.Be nearly november before we know it.

Then xmas comes.

Then jan,the canon o brien cup.Not excited bt that,but its hurling again.

Or over the training ban as we played up to october ase we and clare nt allowed start til febuary??anyone please can clairfy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

T
    I dunno what it is,but im nt as gutted as o3 or o6,as the realistion is we never thought we were going to win in jan.

I take you point.

For me I was gutted after yesterday and looked at the first game as to what could have been. Sideline cut for Cork and a point ahead with min left. The decision making there was bad there. We should have brought the ball into the corner and used up the mins. We would have been champions eventhough Clare were better team and we would have stolen it, its victory that matters and nothing else.

Looking back I was gutted in 2003 but we were bad in first half and scored hardly nothing in that half. But I still thought we we were good enough to win that day. In 2006 we were second best I wasn't as gutted as KK well on top that day. Didn't feel too bad about it.

2007 for Cork football was bad when we gifted Kerry two goals but 2009 was worse, we played best football in the country that year bar the final and Kerry outclassed us as usual. It was like the end of the world that day and living near the border didn't help. 2013 feels like 2003 for me. We weren't good enough but we could have stolen it too if things had worked out. So after all the 3rd year in the decade hasn't been a success for Cork GAA since 1973 or am I just being a bit too over superstitious?

Amprodude wrote: »
    I take you point.

For me I was gutted after yesterday and looked at the first game as to what could have been. Sideline cut for Cork and a point ahead with min left. The decision making there was bad there. We should have brought the ball into the corner and used up the mins. We would have been champions eventhough Clare were better team and we would have stolen it, its victory that matters and nothing else.

Looking back I was gutted in 2003 but we were bad in first half and scored hardly nothing in that half. But I still thought we we were good enough to win that day. In 2006 we were second best I wasn't as gutted as KK well on top that day. Didn't feel too bad about it.

2007 for Cork football was bad when we gifted Kerry two goals but 2009 was worse, we played best football in the country that year bar the final and Kerry outclassed us as usual. It was like the end of the world that day and living near the border didn't help. 2013 feels like 2003 for me. We weren't good enough but we could have stolen it too if things had worked out. So after all the 3rd year in the decade hasn't been a success for Cork GAA since 1973 or am I just being a bit too over superstitious?
    Yeah ten years ago ,seems like yesterday,we unearthed a gem in setanta,who got a great goal like harnedy.

But in the end the better team won.

I wouldnt read too much into a point up the last day.In truth we were haunted,would bn poxed to win.

Yest we played much better as a team bt clare had too much.

Clare getting that point to draw ,is often sign how great team is.Cork dne it,last min goal timmy mac u21 final to beat tipp by a point,that started it all for cork.

Clare wn in 95, bakers goal to beat a poor cork team.Clare got better.

Cork had it against clare in 2005.It was meant to be for them,a great team always finds a way to win,even if we tl the lead,im convinced they would came back.The goals killed us.

Yeah that no 3 strikes again.I aint supersitous but im sure a trend we hear bout in the media,thats why i mentioned it.

We cant control that,we have to control the controllables,that means must find a full back for next year.

Great to c harnedy giving as good as he got with ryan,of the ball.Controlled aggression.I said that he wnt be as naive,i was correct.Ryan was cancelled out,by harnedy.

What a player,i cnt say enough bt him.

Yeah ten years ago ,seems like yesterday,we unearthed a gem in setanta,who got a great goal like harnedy.

But in the end the better team won.

I wouldnt read too much into a point up the last day.In truth we were haunted,would bn poxed to win.

Yest we played much better as a team bt clare had too much.

Clare getting that point to draw ,is often sign how great team is.Cork dne it,last min goal timmy mac u21 final to beat tipp by a point,that started it all for cork.

Clare wn in 95, bakers goal to beat a poor cork team.Clare got better.

Cork had it against clare in 2005.It was meant to be for them,a great team always finds a way to win,even if we tl the lead,im convinced they would came back.The goals killed us.

Yeah that no 3 strikes again.I aint supersitous but im sure a trend we hear bout in the media,thats why i mentioned it.

We cant control that,we have to control the controllables,that means must find a full back for next year.

Great to c harnedy giving as good as he got with ryan,of the ball.Controlled aggression.I said that he wnt be as naive,i was correct.Ryan was cancelled out,by harnedy.

What a player,i cnt say enough bt him.

Well hopefully history won't repeat itself and Harnedy gets a contract with AFL like Setanta. But then again Brian Corcoran may never had won his two All Ireland medals only for Setantas departure, who knows. Things happen for a reason most times. I hope yesterday's game will lead to some future success of the hurlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I agree. The defeat in 2009 was incredibly hard to take. Cork hammered Kerry in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, and were exceptional beating Tyrone in the semi-final after going down to 14 men from the 30th minute onwards. Kerry were pretty useless going through the qualifiers against Longford, Sligo and Antrim. Cork started brilliantly with a Colm O'Neill goal. And if it wasn't for Counihan leaving that Kieran O'Connor on the field for the whole first half we might have won! He gifted Declan O'Sullivan 4 or 5 frees that day. Also, that Tim Kenneally elbow on Nicholas Murphy was the dirtiest stroke I've ever seen especially because it was planned between himself and that Paul Galvin. I've been good and left out alot of expletives. You can imagine what swear words you'd like to use yourself and slot them in where it's obvious one is required!

Amprodude wrote: »
    Well hopefully history won't repeat itself and Harnedy gets a contract with AFL like Setanta. But then again Brian Corcoran may never had won his two All Ireland medals only for Setantas departure, who knows. Things happen for a reason most times. I hope yesterday's game will lead to some future success of the hurlers.

Harnedy is a home bird,here to stay.23 very young bt indicative that ger fitz wdnt pick him with teddy mac,and don cronin and holland.

All those clueless .

Teddy mac gets the u21 job i wnt go to any games next year that grade,enough is enough.

Harnedy is a home bird,here to stay.23 very young bt indicative that ger fitz wdnt pick him with teddy mac,and don cronin and holland.

All those clueless .

Teddy mac gets the u21 job i wnt go to any games next year that grade,enough is enough.

Some things won't ever change in Cork GAA. Would Grady ever go back and manage any underage Cork team? Or will he just stay clear of affairs while Frank and the boys are in charge? He would certainty make a job of the underage teams. I would like to see Cusack involved too but don't think he will fancy a position like that with Frank in charge.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just back into work in London after that weekend - some party on last night, I finshed at 2, left the hotel around 5 and they were still going. I still cannot believe it - super team. Juliet is going for good this time from what I've heard.

It was the best crowd in a number of year at the game, 25K and there was great atmosphere. Went from being on my feet screaming at the referee in the last 20 seconds when the Monaghan girl fouled the ball before the free, to hands over my face not being able to watch.

These girls are a very special bunch, 5000 at the men's homecoming last night, yet if there is 500 at the girls one I would be surprised! It is a disgrace that they cannot get behind this group - 8 All Irelands in 9 years. If they were a mens team, they would be hailed as Messiahs, as the greatest players ever to play the game and grace a GAA field.

Some craic inside in the hotel last night watching the Sunday game - Briege and Rhona down in the bar, cheering every Cork score like the game was live. 8 titles in 9 years, one defeat in the AI series in 9 years, 3 defeats in championship in 9 years

I'm not going to be able to come down from this for a while! Going to watch the last five minutes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As a Tipp man I would have no fear of meeting either yereselves or clare in Thursdays draw, I would be way more fearful of Limerick in Munster next year.:cool:

• Advertisement

Just back into work in London after that weekend - some party on last night, I finshed at 2, left the hotel around 5 and they were still going. I still cannot believe it - super team. Juliet is going for good this time from what I've heard.

It was the best crowd in a number of year at the game, 25K and there was great atmosphere. Went from being on my feet screaming at the referee in the last 20 seconds when the Monaghan girl fouled the ball before the free, to hands over my face not being able to watch.

These girls are a very special bunch, 5000 at the men's homecoming last night, yet if there is 500 at the girls one I would be surprised! It is a disgrace that they cannot get behind this group - 8 All Irelands in 9 years. If they were a mens team, they would be hailed as Messiahs, as the greatest players ever to play the game and grace a GAA field.

Some craic inside in the hotel last night watching the Sunday game - Briege and Rhona down in the bar, cheering every Cork score like the game was live. 8 titles in 9 years, one defeat in the AI series in 9 years, 3 defeats in championship in 9 years

I'm not going to be able to come down from this for a while! Going to watch the last five minutes back!

Sounds a savage nght RG ,fair play.

I said that would happen the hurlers,last wk if they loose.A lot of cork fans dnt deserve be assiocated either team.
    When the sun shines they want to with the teams,when it rains gone in a beat.

Homecoming should should be stopped ,bt last ngt was exception this team deserved it,and jbm.A kick in the balls they got.

I would even doubt their was 5000 be frank.

It a joke,and the council had pay 50 thousand for that as small or bg crowd had plan in advance,same set up.

The atmosphere was a bit like going to a wedding,for your best mate,and the bride failed to turn up.The afters and band are al paid for and guests told u mgt as well enjoy it,bt everyone flat as a pancake,and on egg shells,embarrased by the turnout ,and nt knowing what to say.

The same cork fans crying wolf,sob story looking for a ticket.

Wait til next year div 2 ,wnt be a thousand at sum games.

Fair game sum people geuine reasons cnt go but nt all.

A joke for the ladies and even media coverage is a joke.They pt the same sacfirce men,nt same rewards.

You can even c it n this thread ,bar a few,not a mention of the ladies.

Eaten bread soon forgotten.

Ladies homecoming 7 tngt parnell place.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Will be lucky if it ends up being 7 - the lads would be on time given they travel down by train, but the girls are coming down by coach, so will stop off someone to eat along the way, then probably stop in Fermoy and maybe Watergrasshill, so will probably be 9ish - I remember two years ago it was 8.50 - had to try and get an interview with Eamonn for the 9 o clock news

Will be lucky if it ends up being 7 - the lads would be on time given they travel down by train, but the girls are coming down by coach, so will stop off someone to eat along the way, then probably stop in Fermoy and maybe Watergrasshill, so will probably be 9ish - I remember two years ago it was 8.50 - had to try and get an interview with Eamonn for the 9 o clock news

Lads came by bus ,bypass mallow which is a joke,with north cork contingent.Stil no excuse for turmout.

Look forward echo,it has bn great to them,credit due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Hold on a second, time to ease up on the fans now there. It wasn't a great crowd no, but just because people weren't there doesn't mean they're just sunshine supporters while there may be a fair few out there.
    As jimmy said that team got massive following all year, league and championship. U can't be expecting people to turn up in the pissing rain some of whom have forked out huge amounts all year in travelling to matches. Cork is a big county. We're not all within 20 mins of the city. That and the ladies were playing too and they had a big enough following above.
    You've just crucified a good share of decent supporters not giving a good atmosphere. Jaysus they lost like, what do u expect the atmosphere to be like? I'd be severely worried if they were dancing at the crossroads. Get a grip for f**k sake.

Horse84 wrote: »
    Hold on a second, time to ease up on the fans now there. It wasn't a great crowd no, but just because people weren't there doesn't mean they're just sunshine supporters while there may be a fair few out there.
    As jimmy said that team got massive following all year, league and championship. U can't be expecting people to turn up in the pissing rain some of whom have forked out huge amounts all year in travelling to matches. Cork is a big county. We're not all within 20 mins of the city. That and the ladies were playing too and they had a big enough following above.
    You've just crucified a good share of decent supporters not giving a good atmosphere. Jaysus they lost like, what do u expect the atmosphere to be like? I'd be severely worried if they were dancing at the crossroads. Get a grip for f**k sake.
    Ah for **** sake ,get of the horse.Who did i insult.I said geuine fans had geuine reasons,butt a lot didnt.
    Your telling me we couldnt get more than the 3k that turned up,get with it man ,in fairness.

Im nt one for moral victories but where the team came from,deserve better.

Who said anything bout 20 min from the city.

I'm farther 20 min from city.

There was a lot of cork people in the city,close by that could came out,wouldnt cost them a bomb.

Cork di not get a bg crowd in june,the first day,or against kk,a lot did not travel.

They travelled for limk and dublin.Dont talk rubbish,man.

And was a select few waterford in the pouring rain.A big crowd dont kid yourself.

In pearse stadium,wasnt a big crowd ,clashed with a football game but still poor.

Wasnt a big crowd in knowlan park either.

There's a lot of rubbish being talked on here and it ain't coming from me.
    I don't care whether you're more than 20 mins from the city or not makes no difference to me.
    People have lives man. I guess I used to be like that before too wondering why there isn't a massive crowd at every match and there's a majority of sunshine supporters but every county is like that. Look at the dubs and they barely have to leave the city.
    I might've missed I think 1 game all year, I wasn't there last night and plenty more like me but what does it matter sure. I wouldn't have been there if we had won either and many more like me I'm guessing.
    A lot of my friends have families, they would've been soaked last night.
    There might've been 500 or 5000 or 50,000 there last night but I doubt it would make one iota of different to that proud panel of players less than 24 hours after losing an all Ireland final

There's a lot of rubbish being talked on here and it ain't coming from me.
    I don't care whether you're more than 20 mins from the city or not makes no difference to me.
    People have lives man. I guess I used to be like that before too wondering why there isn't a massive crowd at every match and there's a majority of sunshine supporters but every county is like that. Look at the dubs and they barely have to leave the city.
    I might've missed I think 1 game all year, I wasn't there last night and plenty more like me but what does it matter sure. I wouldn't have been there if we had won either and many more like me I'm guessing.
    A lot of my friends have families, they would've been soaked last night.
    There might've been 500 or 5000 or 50,000 there last night but I doubt it would make one iota of different to that proud panel of players less than 24 hours after losing an all Ireland final
    I never doubted that geuine reasons,bt lot didnt bother as we lost.

And of course a small crowd affected a already gutted team.A big crowd wnt be a replacement for the cup,but it would boost the spirits,this is a young cork team,remember nt a hardendd team.

Ah in fairness it rained.So what.Put on a pair of oilskins ,and cork rain jacket.,and a spare pair of socks in the car.

The next time it rains so no cork man goes to a game.

In fairness.If they won,it wouldnt matter a **** if it snowed.

Oh jes man have it your way. We've a lot to live up to your standards of support.
    I'm beginning to see how there's comparatively few contributors to this thread.
    Those oil skins would've come in handy in fraher field this year I will admit lol

Oh jes man have it your way. We've a lot to live up to your standards of support.
    I'm beginning to see how there's comparatively few contributors to this thread.
    Those oil skins would've come in handy in fraher field this year I will admit lol
    My point was theres geuine fans with geuine reasons as they have lives like you said,but a lot fans wnt go just cause they lost like the ladies wnt get a big crowd either and they deserve more.You cant acknowlege that the hurling team dnt desesve better,fair enough.

My point was the weather shouldnt have a bearing on the turnout.

Like i said their a young team,in fairness.

Youd swear i was only the poster bemoned the lack of support for the hurlers or ladies today ,with respect lad.

Before this becomes a wtich hunt ,tomas mulchay even criticsed the turnout last night today.

They deserve better ,is my point.

• Advertisement

People give as much as they can.
    Do they deserve better? Yes.

And a tweet from one of those young unhardended hurlers from half an hour ago.
    Chris Joyce "@Joycey27: Heartbreaking result at the weekend unfortunately thats sport... The support was fantastic all season very much appreciated"

Leave it at that. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

THe KK hurlers always say that the huge crowds they got when they lost gave them motivation to win again. There was over 10-15k out for them when they lost in the rain. To a young team, that means alot and they often quote it's impact on them and their drive to come back and win.

1,000 people is poor show for the great enjoyment and sacrifices the cork players and management team have made during the year.

No one would have expected Cork to have got as far as they did. JBM is a credit to hurling.

Just a cat's opinion.

People give as much as they can.
    Do they deserve better? Yes.

And a tweet from one of those young unhardended hurlers from half an hour ago.
    Chris Joyce "@Joycey27: Heartbreaking result at the weekend unfortunately thats sport... The support was fantastic all season very much appreciated"

Leave it at that. Good luck!
    That was my point they deserve better,so we do agree.You were making a mountain out of a mole hill,with respect.That was my point,they deserve better.

Yeah a very dignifed response.Jbm said to same the last ngt those went.It doesnt mean they could not have had more,like you said,they deserve better.

Pudders wrote: »
    THe KK hurlers always say that the huge crowds they got when they lost gave them motivation to win again. There was over 10-15k out for them when they lost in the rain. To a young team, that means alot and they often quote it's impact on them and their drive to come back and win.

1,000 people is poor show for the great enjoyment and sacrifices the cork players and management team have made during the year.

No one would have expected Cork to have got as far as they did. JBM is a credit to hurling.

Just a cat's opinion.
    That was point,and suddelnly im the enemy.

This team are young,suffocated with underage failure, and unlike kk,starved success.They need support,they were gutted,and a chord and unity between fans could be built.

We celebrate victory with them,we must mourn together in defeat.

What this team achieved against all the odds and jbm ,they deserve better.

That was my point they deserve better,so we do agree.You were making a mountain out of a mole hill,with respect.That was my point,they deserve better.

Yeah a very dignifed response.Jbm said to same the last ngt those went.It doesnt mean they could not have had more,like you said,they deserve better.

Listen man, trust me we don't agree at all. I don't post here as much but I'm more than capable of speaking my own mind so don't tell me what we do and don't agree on.
    As for u being the enemy, really? I mean I had to laugh at that one.
    Other people's opinions are as valid here as yours, no matter how many games u go to and mine aren't 'rubbish' as u suggested. We disagreed, get over it.
    I was merely sticking up for people who like u and me are dejected today, no more and no less whether they turned up last night or not.

Listen man, trust me we don't agree at all. I don't post here as much but I'm more than capable of speaking my own mind so don't tell me what we do and don't agree on.
    Other people's opinions are as valid here as yours, no matter how many games u go to and mine aren't 'rubbish' as u suggested. We disagreed, get over it.
    I was merely sticking up for people who like u and me are dejected today, no more and no less whether they turned up last night or not.
    And i was sticking up for the team ,get over it.

I dont tell you what to agree on,you said that the team deserve better support,i said the same,so i think its valid to say we agree.

I never questioned your support,i said the team should got bigger crowd last nght,as the kk poster said,it wouldnt happen up their.
    In fairness lad, you were the one that said their was rubbish being spoken,firstly.If your good enough to give it,at least be gracious to take it.

I have no joy in arguing with a cork man today.All i said was ,the support was fickle,and their were geuine fans cdnt go,fair enough,but a lot could,and just wouldnt as we lost.

That was my point.Suddenly ,im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

talkstoomuch is always right, did you not know that?? ;)

And i was sticking up for the team ,get over it.

I dont tell you what to agree on,you said that the team deserve better support,i said the same,so i think its valid to say we agree.

I never questioned your support,i said the team should got bigger crowd last nght,as the kk poster said,it wouldnt happen up their.
    In fairness lad, you were the one that said their was rubbish being spoken,firstly.If your good enough to give it,at least be gracious to take it.

I have no joy in arguing with a cork man today.All i said was ,the support was fickle,and their were geuine fans cdnt go,fair enough,but a lot could,and just wouldnt as we lost.

That was my point.Suddenly ,im wrong.

I think u may need to re read the posts and just see where the word rubbish was used there man. I never said anyone was wrong or anything like that I don't think. Just don't expect everyone to agree with everything you're saying.

Once again this forum is yours. Have at it and more power to u. Jesus wept!

I think u may need to re read the posts and just see where the word rubbish was used there man. I never said anyone was wrong or anything like that I don't think. Just don't expect everyone to agree with everything you're saying.

Once again this forum is yours. Have at it and more power to u. Jesus wept!
    I never expected yeah to agree.You said at the start their was rubbish being said .

I simply gave a point ,people disagreed ,and said i was wrong,i defended it.

I gave my view ,just like you.

The team deserved better support like the ladies tngt.I dnt c whats wrong in saying that.

• Advertisement

Lads can we all get along together again and discuss last weekends matches and Cork GAA. Not having a go at anyone but there is needless arguments going on here.

I am slowly getting over our defeat at the weekend but having nightmares with our defense and what could have been if things worked out. I cant believe we left in 5 goals. Crazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement