Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Amprodude wrote: »
    Lads can we all get along together again and discuss last weekends matches and Cork GAA. Not having a go at anyone but there is needless arguments going on here.

I am slowly getting over our defeat at the weekend but having nightmares with our defense and what could have been if things worked out. I cant believe we left in 5 goals. Crazy.

I went over to PROC for a gawk earlier and there was a few posters saying ye need a more cynical full back and that Shane O Donnell and Mcgrath should have been hauled down. I actually loved the way it was played by both sides, no dirty tactics and focusing on out scoreing each other rather than playing a negative defence based game. I can see why you would have nightmares after watching Pat Donnelans run from half back unchallenged all the way to the full forward line. 2014 has the makings of one hell of a championship, I'm already excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I went over to PROC for a gawk earlier and there was a few posters saying ye need a more cynical full back and that Shane O Donnell and Mcgrath should have been hauled down. I actually loved the way it was played by both sides, no dirty tactics and focusing on out scoreing each other rather than playing a negative defence based game. I can see why you would have nightmares after watching Pat Donnelans run from half back unchallenged all the way to the full forward line. 2014 has the makings of one hell of a championship, I'm already excited about it.

Not taking away from Clares goals which were fantastic but Corks defence were all over the place for 4 of those goals. You wouldnt see that in junior b hurling. I wonder would a sweeper have helped after conceding the second goal?

I read in paper today that Corks 3-16 would have been good enough to win 5 of the last 10 all irelands and draw one. Not as if it matters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Amprodude wrote: »
    Not taking away from Clares goals which were fantastic but Corks defence were all over the place for 4 of those goals. You wouldnt see that in junior b hurling. I wonder would a sweeper have helped after conceding the second goal?

I read in paper today that Corks 3-16 would have been good enough to win 5 of the last 10 all irelands and draw one. Not as if it matters at this stage.
    It's hard to know what to make of hurling this year! I don't know if defenses were better in years gone by. Kilkenny had no trouble scoring goals over the last decade. When Tipperary won in 2010 Lar scored a hat trick. The last time that 8 goals were scored in a final was 1972. So, I suppose it's a bit unusual that both defenses were a bit porous. Managers will look at what happened this year and go one of two ways. It will either be an adoption of free flowing high scoring hurling or else tighter, more cynical defensive hurling with the use of a sweeper. I think JBM will stay with attacking hurling but it's hard to know what the other counties will do. After all it's a results business and the ends justifies the means!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Thats exactly what we need in a nutshell,a nautural no nonese style full back.He needs to be a man that can boss the square,and get the full back line to hold shape.

Shane o neill,brian murphy ,mcdonnell have way too much hurling,and natural instinct is to play the ball rather than the man.
    Connor sul is the same.These guys are fine defenders,but too similar together,the balance is all wrong.The warning signs have been their all year.

Its no coincendce the last time cork conceded five goals was against waterford 2007,when we lost that game,on a very similar scoreline to sat,we got 3 ourselves, in that game.We were without the rock,and cian o connor had to start full back,but Dan the man got two goals that day but the cork full back line that was tormented all day.

I dont think the defence is that bad-in fact its been magnifcent all year,it just lacks a spine to it.

Not helping it,has been joyce,not being allowed to develop as a regular six,with the midfield being over run.
    Small changes to personnael ,with a natural 3 can make a huge diff.One player is all the defence needs.

If murphy goes which i heard will retire, we still have Shane ,and Connor in the corner.

Mcdonnell was excellent in the second half with hes forceful running,and midfield where he started hes career should be worth a look.

Kearney needs a physical presence,and Maccie has real pace.

Mcloughlin and kearney are far too alike together.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Pudders wrote: »
    THe KK hurlers always say that the huge crowds they got when they lost gave them motivation to win again. There was over 10-15k out for them when they lost in the rain. To a young team, that means alot and they often quote it's impact on them and their drive to come back and win.

1,000 people is poor show for the great enjoyment and sacrifices the cork players and management team have made during the year.

No one would have expected Cork to have got as far as they did. JBM is a credit to hurling.

Just a cat's opinion.

JBM is indeed a credit to the game and acted like a gentleman after the game. To all the Cork supporters I met at the game you were very gracious and sporting in defeat. We had a great battle on Saturday and there wasn't a dirty stroke in the match. Roll on 2014. I bet we get drawn against Cork in the first round of the Munster championship

• Advertisement

TUESDAYOCTOBER 1

REBELS WILL HAVE REAL REGRETS AND NEED TO FORTIFY HALF-BACK LINE

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 01, 2013
    THE Cork hurlers returned to Leeside on Sunday evening to a suitably gloomy and bleak vista in the city.
    The weather and the clash with the ladies football didn’t help, but there was a paltry crowd on the South Mall to mark the conclusion of an epic season. Had they been carrying Liam McCarthy back none of those factors would have mattered; the Rebels wouldn’t have even noticed the grey skies and spitting rain.

Even accepting they were beaten by a team that performed to a higher level for more of the 140-plus minutes against Clare, Cork will know they could have won.

There was the penalty that clipped the underside of the crossbar and then the failure to crowd out the middle on the last puck-out in the drawn game. On Saturday night there were a series of defensive errors that made an instant hero out of 19-year-old Shane O’Donnell and some costly misses either side of half-time, that went wide and dropped short, that would have given Cork the lead and initiative.

Now they’re left with a jumble of regrets to haunt them. If they are to roar back into All-Ireland contention again they need to soak up all the hurt, from the sight of Pat Donnellan and Davy Fitzgerald hoisting Liam McCarthy to the dreary homecoming, and channel those into a ferocious response.

Though we can look back at one that got away, the reality is Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his management team guided the players through a championship of over-achievement. They reached their second Munster final and first All-Ireland in seven seasons and they defeated Kilkenny for just the fifth time since 1966 (as opposed to eight losses). Had Brian Gavin blown his whistle when the clock hit 72 minutes on September 8 they’d be champions.

This came in the context of a tumultuous winter which saw Donal Óg Cusack, John Gardiner and Seán Óg Ó hAilpín ushered into retirement, Eoin Cadogan defect to football, and – most damagingly – Darren Sweetnam opt to pursue a rugby career.

The loss to Paudie O’Sullivan to injury shouldn’t be underestimated either. His playmaking from centre-forward in the demolition of Tipp in the league opener suggested he was finally about to deliver the All-Star season we’ve been waiting for since his senior debut for Cloyne at just 15.

Of course the progress made – which didn’t look remotely possible after league relegation amidst murmurs of discontent in the set-up – shouldn’t gloss over the areas they have to improve in.

Neither should it be proclaimed as a panacea for deep-rooted issues in Cork hurling, highlighted by the underage malaise. The board are currently mulling over the appointment of the minor and U21 managers, and they need to be bold. Donal Óg Cusack would be a ballsy choice.

Whatever about those levels, Cork can’t rest on their laurels at senior because none of their rivals will. Hurling is now wide open, which doesn’t necessarily mean a return to the latter stages of the championship is easier.

What can Cork do to click up another gear?

Most importantly, JBM and the selectors must seek to fortify their half-back line for ’14 so the rearguard is never as exposed again. Christopher Joyce – who along with Anthony Nash, Conor O’Sullivan and Pat Horgan started all 12 of Cork’s games this season – is still developing and will be crucial; can they identify others in the mould of Clare’s?

Stephen McDonnell was a colossus at centre-back in the replay and, assuming Brian Murphy doesn’t retire, he could get an extended audition there next spring, especially with Cork in Division 1B.

Further up the field they need to settle on a defined role for Pa Cronin, and ensure Horgan and Conor Lehane get more possession in one-on-one scenarios. Lehane scored 2-18 from play across 12 league and championship outings (two as a sub) but he still has more to offer. Horgan’s 2013 tally was 1-93, 1-24 from play, but he really had to earn some of those.

Seamus Harnedy was both a puck-out option and scorer of 1-13 from play in six games, but Cork do need at least one additional ball-winner up front – someone to do the heavy lifting for Lehane and Horgan.

The pain of last weekend is still raw. But if Cork are serious about becoming champions, they’re already looking forward to addressing those concerns.

IS there another Seamus Harnedy hidden away on Leeside?
    Cork could do with a handful of players to solidify a talented but young and light squad, and given the county’s struggles underage, the newcomers will most likely be unheralded.
    Harnedy’s progress gives hope to every ambitious hurler in Cork.
    The ease with which the St Ita’s native settled into senior inter-county hurling was an essential element to the Rebels’ summer. He scored from play in every outing despite never having played minor or U21.
    Though he gained essential experience with UCC in the Fitzgibbon Cup, his aerial prowess, touch and shooting as a rookie was incredible and he’s a banker to collect an All-Star.
    So who are the likely lads?
    Given the need to mould a half-back line that is better in the air and that bit saucier than the current incarnation, current fringe players like Colm Spillane, Eoin Keane and Mark Ellis will be auditioned next spring.
    They all have a bit of cutting about them, while both Keane and Ellis are imposingly tall. The latter, from Millstreet, was a member of the 2011 U21 crop, but like Keane and Spillane hasn’t yet been exposed to enough top-level hurling to be judged.
    Cork are better served up front, especially with the return of the gifted Paudie O’Sullivan in 2014, though you can be certain JBM will once again see if footballers Aidan Walsh and Ciarán Sheehan would attempt a dual mandate.
    With their power and big-game experience, they could be major assets.

Kerry are going to wipe the floor with cork at minor next year,jack o connor their new manager .
    We are frail in comparison.Kerry building already.

In the u21 award nominations cork havent and rightfully so got ,one single nomination,the only county in Munster.

No disrespect to carlow or offaly but they have.A county like cork with such talent.

Thats how far our u21 team have fallen under Ger fitzgerald.Ger cunnigham whos involved with Bord gais must be embarrased as a cork man.

None of the team deserved one.

A damning statistic in 45 players cork up their at the top in overall all irelands we cnt get a player nominated.

Take a bow Ger fitzgearld.Well done,you done what no other cork manager would do with that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kerry are going to wipe the floor with cork at minor next year,jack o connor their new manager .
    We are frail in comparison.Kerry building already.
    A good manager never made a team, he can only work with what he's got, as can Cork, and they've always been very close throughout the years. To say Kerry would wipe the floor with Cork is sensationalist

Look forward to seeing how the minors get on that little bit more now though I will admit!

D'Agger wrote: »
    A good manager never made a team, he can only work with what he's got, as can Cork, and they've always been very close throughout the years. To say Kerry would wipe the floor with Cork is sensationalist

Look forward to seeing how the minors get on that little bit more now though I will admit!

Thats a fair point.

But wait til you the fiasco that will become with the minors under donal o sul.

Jack will get every last inch out those lads,and has a great record at schools and underage.

He will be a improvement under mickey ned , id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Could be back in division 1 next year.
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/gaa-hurling-league-changes-2014-1109622-Oct2013/
    We'll know all on October 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Frank Murphy working his magic again?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thats a fair point.

But wait til you the fiasco that will become with the minors under donal o sul.

Jack will get every last inch out those lads,and has a great record at schools and underage.

He will be a improvement under mickey ned , id say.

Yeah I actually think the manager makes a big difference at underage - a good sign for Kerry to get someone as accomplished as Jack involved with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Not sure if this link will work now

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I actually think the manager makes a big difference at underage - a good sign for Kerry to get someone as accomplished as Jack involved with the kids.

It is a huge stepping stone.I know from talking to kerry folk,that mickey ned wasnt seen as a the man for under age,where with jack and darragh at u21 ye have men up to date with the demands of the current game.

Our man is a man with a past ,twelve years ago,bt i dnt think he is a modern manager.

Clare are a classic example to all,coud not win any games underage for 8 years,changed the whole set up,then in the last five years have four all irelands,and the one lost was to a point in the minor to a great kk team.

Donegal did not win anything bt getting to the u21 final loosing a game they cd have won gave them a lift.

Dublin underage is flying,look at the senior.

You will get the odd case where underage doesnt deliver to senior bt rather an exception to the rule, a template for success is more likely if you build from the bottom up.

Frank Murphy working his magic again?! :pac:

I may go out on a limb ,when i stay this,and prob stand alone,in this,but i hope to god we remain in div 2 next year and its nt changed.

On the field of play we didnt deserve it,and if this was any other county it woudnt be changed.

I do agree ,the league isnt fair and feel for limerick as they were wronged two year ago bt if its changed it means frank can get away lighty.

And the only reason,if cork did put this motion up,is nt for welfare cork hurling,bt they knew damn too well,that they will be hit hard pockets next year,and the white elephant of a stadium needs money.

I was at an intermediate game two wks ago,8 euro go in,barely 400 at it.

Robbery.

I went to a harty game,and while no actual admission fee,a guy stood at the gate asked me for a fiver.I said for what.Thats for cork gaa he said.

I said nt a hope.I would go to the car drive away.He said oh just give me sumthing.A euro, that was that.

If i knew the money invested youth i would paid a tenner.

A lot limk fans for ard scoil ris were shocked,never heard the likes it,pay for harty game before.

Cork didnt deserve to be div two n the field of play.and its disrespectful that clare had to go all out to beat us in a div play off to stay up that means nothing nw.

If they want change it ,change it next year,when everyone knws the system.

Here's a suggestion for a new league format that might suit everyone. At present we have 12 teams in Division 1 and Division 1A. I would propose a seeded draw whereby you would have two 6 team groups with 3 teams from Division 1 and Division 1A in either group. Then you could have the top 2 in each group contesting semi finals and a final or you could have the top 4 in each group playing quarter finals and so on. In the group stages both top teams and so called smaller teams would get quality games. The league would still maintain its competitiveness as the knock out stages would get the best teams and there would be more games allowing teams to trial new players. The smaller teams would also get more equal tv and press coverage which at the moment Division 1A does not. Also, the smaller teams would be treated more equally and would get to measure themselves against the big boys! Attendances should improve also with more novel pairings.

Let's have an imaginary draw:

Group 1 Tipperary, Clare, Waterford, Cork, Wexford, Antrim

Group 2 Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin, Limerick, Offaly, Laois

Imagine the knockout stages at quarter final stage!

Whatever system they choose,they have lost all credence and respectabilty if they after admantly defending their corner for the last few months if they change it now.

It was meant to be set in stone,nothing was up for review til after next year.Make no mistake bout it Frank had a say in it .It may nt be acknowleged but if it was anyone bar cork it would not have any power.

The fact its been considered,looks a done deal.

If i was clare i would be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Maybe this new league format is the price of getting Limerick to propose seeded draw for Munster SFC. Nice early dividend for the Limerick County Board but a serious blow to Limerick footballers.

Maybe this new league format is the price of getting Limerick to propose seeded draw for Munster SFC. Nice early dividend for the Limerick County Board but a serious blow to Limerick footballers.

A very valid point raised by you.you scratch my back,i scratch yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Between running from the airport, running to work, and heading to training last night, then working on our finals programme for next weekend I'm wrecked, but still on a high - watched the last two minutes back 5 times yesterday - still on a high after it.

Heard there was 1500 out to welcome the girls home, delighted that a big crowd were out there!!

Just back into work in London after that weekend - some party on last night, I finshed at 2, left the hotel around 5 and they were still going. I still cannot believe it - super team. Juliet is going for good this time from what I've heard.
    you were right.She said it in the paper today.

What a player,and what a way to retire ,on the greatest stage of all,a point at the end,that was so good to grace any final,mens or womens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion for a new league format that might suit everyone. At present we have 12 teams in Division 1 and Division 1A. I would propose a seeded draw whereby you would have two 6 team groups with 3 teams from Division 1 and Division 1A in either group. Then you could have the top 2 in each group contesting semi finals and a final or you could have the top 4 in each group playing quarter finals and so on. In the group stages both top teams and so called smaller teams would get quality games. The league would still maintain its competitiveness as the knock out stages would get the best teams and there would be more games allowing teams to trial new players. The smaller teams would also get more equal tv and press coverage which at the moment Division 1A does not. Also, the smaller teams would be treated more equally and would get to measure themselves against the big boys! Attendances should improve also with more novel pairings.

Let's have an imaginary draw:

Group 1 Tipperary, Clare, Waterford, Cork, Wexford, Antrim

Group 2 Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin, Limerick, Offaly, Laois

Imagine the knockout stages at quarter final stage!

So long story short, back to the 1998-2008 format, a move I would fully agree with. I don't really get why that format was ever scrapped in the first place....

So long story short, back to the 1998-2008 format, a move I would fully agree with. I don't really get why that format was ever scrapped in the first place....
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. You could mess around with the format of the knockout stages but it would be pretty much the same system.

If you look at the 12 teams that currently make up Division 1 and Division 1A, with the exception of Antrim and Laois, any of the other teams could beat each other on any given day. Realistically you have 8 very competitive teams, but Offaly and Wexford aren't that far behind. For instance, Offaly put up a good showing against Kilkenny this year in the championship, and Wexford drew with Clare in a qualifier before losing out in extra time.

So, why should Offaly and Wexford in particular lose out if the format of the league is changed again as will be proposed. The possible new format will not aid their development at all. It will just let them slip even further behind

No change to structure of hurling league before 2015
    Friday, April 19, 2013
    Regardless of what proposals may be brought to Central Council regarding a change to the current structure of the Allianz Hurling League, Cork, Limerick, Offaly,
    GAA communications manager Alan Milton yesterday confirmed any efforts to change the league formats would have to go before Central Council — but not before 2015.

“We haven’t heard anything yet from any county, but if anyone wants to propose changing the current format they can bring it to Central Council, that’s the forum for any such discussions,” he said.

“Because it’s not a rule change it doesn’t have to go before Congress. There’s no urgency though, the current structure will be in place for 2014 and that will not change. The earliest that anything can happen is 2015, and that’s if the appetite is there among the counties.”

Despite the mounting dissatisfaction with the current structure, which was only introduced in 2012 and tweaked for 2013, the complaints from several high-profile managers that the lack of games doesn’t allow for experimentation and the complaints from several high-profile counties about lost revenue, that appetite for change may not be shared elsewhere.

“Central Council has only recently come to the end of a lengthy and very thorough debate on this,” he said. “I don’t know if there was ever before such deliberation in the GAA on a competition and its structure, certainly not in recent times.

“Any county is entitled to bring it up again, but whether or not there’s an appetite to tackle it again, I don’t know.”

However, contrary to the common notion the format was created by officials in Croke Park, it was in fact a structure voted in by the counties themselves.

“Every county has representation on the Central Council and as with all other GAA matters, every county voted on this,” Milton explained.

“It’s the same if it’s a proposal dealing with football only. Every delegate from every county has a vote, that’s how Central Council operates, as a unit. There were three separate formats up for discussion, one from the Hurling Development Workgroup committee, one from the CCC and one from the Management Committee. The first two proposed the six-team groups, the Management Committee proposal was for an eight-team division.

“So seriously was the discussion taken that the vote was actually postponed on the first occasion to allow the delegates more time to tease out the different proposals. I think everyone appreciated that this was a big decision, a big call, and no-one wanted it rushed.

“When the vote was taken, they decided on the current set-up. The hope at Central Council was that this decision would put the issue to bed for a number of years, that the new structures would be given a chance to bed in, that we would get some degree of consistency in the competition, of permanency.

“We were trying to get away from the idea of constant chopping and changing. It was a very democratic forum, the way this structure was introduced.”

Judging by the reaction from the bigger hurling counties now, however, it’s certainly drawn out a majority of detractors. However, the current format has its defenders and there are positives emerging.

“It could be argued that already it’s working. When you look at how it all ended up in Division 1A, everything coming down to the final round of games, that generated huge interest.

“But something everyone seems to be overlooking is just how competitive all the other divisions have become — that was one of the ideas behind this structure. Next year you’re going to have Laois back up in Division 1B and with Cork, Limerick, Offaly, Wexford and Antrim, it’s going to be a competitive division again.

“The bottom line is that if any county wants to revisit this they can start the process, they’re entitled to do that, but it will take a sea change from the current opinion.”

No change to structure of hurling league before 2015
    Friday, April 19, 2013
    Regardless of what proposals may be brought to Central Council regarding a change to the current structure of the Allianz Hurling League, Cork, Limerick, Offaly,
    GAA communications manager Alan Milton yesterday confirmed any efforts to change the league formats would have to go before Central Council — but not before 2015.

“We haven’t heard anything yet from any county, but if anyone wants to propose changing the current format they can bring it to Central Council, that’s the forum for any such discussions,” he said.

“Because it’s not a rule change it doesn’t have to go before Congress. There’s no urgency though, the current structure will be in place for 2014 and that will not change. The earliest that anything can happen is 2015, and that’s if the appetite is there among the counties.”

Despite the mounting dissatisfaction with the current structure, which was only introduced in 2012 and tweaked for 2013, the complaints from several high-profile managers that the lack of games doesn’t allow for experimentation and the complaints from several high-profile counties about lost revenue, that appetite for change may not be shared elsewhere.

“Central Council has only recently come to the end of a lengthy and very thorough debate on this,” he said. “I don’t know if there was ever before such deliberation in the GAA on a competition and its structure, certainly not in recent times.

“Any county is entitled to bring it up again, but whether or not there’s an appetite to tackle it again, I don’t know.”

However, contrary to the common notion the format was created by officials in Croke Park, it was in fact a structure voted in by the counties themselves.

“Every county has representation on the Central Council and as with all other GAA matters, every county voted on this,” Milton explained.

“It’s the same if it’s a proposal dealing with football only. Every delegate from every county has a vote, that’s how Central Council operates, as a unit. There were three separate formats up for discussion, one from the Hurling Development Workgroup committee, one from the CCC and one from the Management Committee. The first two proposed the six-team groups, the Management Committee proposal was for an eight-team division.

“So seriously was the discussion taken that the vote was actually postponed on the first occasion to allow the delegates more time to tease out the different proposals. I think everyone appreciated that this was a big decision, a big call, and no-one wanted it rushed.

“When the vote was taken, they decided on the current set-up. The hope at Central Council was that this decision would put the issue to bed for a number of years, that the new structures would be given a chance to bed in, that we would get some degree of consistency in the competition, of permanency.

“We were trying to get away from the idea of constant chopping and changing. It was a very democratic forum, the way this structure was introduced.”

Judging by the reaction from the bigger hurling counties now, however, it’s certainly drawn out a majority of detractors. However, the current format has its defenders and there are positives emerging.

“It could be argued that already it’s working. When you look at how it all ended up in Division 1A, everything coming down to the final round of games, that generated huge interest.

“But something everyone seems to be overlooking is just how competitive all the other divisions have become — that was one of the ideas behind this structure. Next year you’re going to have Laois back up in Division 1B and with Cork, Limerick, Offaly, Wexford and Antrim, it’s going to be a competitive division again.

“The bottom line is that if any county wants to revisit this they can start the process, they’re entitled to do that, but it will take a sea change from the current opinion.”
    Typical!

That was the stance from the gaa in April.Make no mistake this has nothing to do with developing GAA.

This is simply,cause cork and one man wanted it changed it was.Its a disgrace.

If clare were relegated as all ireland champs they would be told stay their,and blah blah,al we would hear is its good all ireland champs in div 2.it motivates the div and gives it a profile.

The rule would not be changed.

I never tgt ,cork now had that much power.CORK were very mute,when beaten in april the board let everyone else give it,they didnt get involved.

Cute out,let things blow over ,and worked away in the background.

Bob ryan said today that he wants to go on record and thank Duffy and liam o neill, for recognosing corks proposals and are very grateful.

When it is voted through ,alL we will hear is how this is a victory for hurling and cork etc,and it is for welfare cork.

Yet the same board wont give any response how a county at the top of roll of honour in u21 titles had so a shambolic, season that Not ONE Player out of 45 was deemed good enough to be nominated for an award,even with a cork man ger cunnigham on the panel.

In to october every other county as minor,u21 managers in place,yet where still no one to wiser.

That is more a true reflection ,of their thoughts on corks welfare.

This has nothing else to do with bar,cork will loose revenue ,simple as.

People say kk would get the same treatment.Fact is,KK wouldnt as they wouldnt allow themselves be in this mess,prevention better than a cure ,is always better than closing the door after the horse is bolted.

In what has been the greatest season in hurling at senior and u21 ,ever,the gaa have left a bitter and sour taste with this,and tis no wonder why most counties hate cork.

A lot of cork fans want to be in the top div,but on merit only.Pride and Honour should be part and parcel of the GAA.

I think alot of other counties would prefer if Cork stayed up Division 1 because Cork would have a bigger pull in terms of attendances at matches and in terms of tv viewer figures for TG4. So, it's not just Cork that would want a format change! There are other vested interests.

I don't understand why the GAA have such convoluted structures and rules. No one is happy with the current league format. It's not just the intercounty managers throwing their toys out of the pram like they did with the sin bin which ironically enough was probably a better solution than the black card rule! The managers, the county boards, and the fans are all unhappy with the current league system. Imagine a situation where the two All-Ireland finalists contested a league relegation battle. It makes no sense!

I think Cork made a conscious decision this year to target championship. They simply weren't up to the pace of things during the league. On the other hand, Kilkenny and Tipperary focused too much on the league and this clearly affected their championship performances.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think alot of other counties would prefer if Cork stayed up Division 1 because Cork would have a bigger pull in terms of attendances at matches and in terms of tv viewer figures for TG4. So, it's not just Cork that would want a format change! There are other vested interests.

I don't understand why the GAA have such convoluted structures and rules. No one is happy with the current league format. It's not just the intercounty managers throwing their toys out of the pram like they did with the sin bin which ironically enough was probably a better solution than the black card rule! The managers, the county boards, and the fans are all unhappy with the current league system. Imagine a situation where the two All-Ireland finalists contested a league relegation battle. It makes no sense!

I think Cork made a conscious decision this year to target championship. They simply weren't up to the pace of things during the league. On the other hand, Kilkenny and Tipperary focused too much on the league and this clearly affected their championship performances.
    You cant argue with your points,their valid.

The point is do the rule shouldnt be changed just cause were relegated.Limerick were wronged two years ago.

By the rules last year we werent gd enough,and cork must be accountable on the field of play like 31 other counties.

I have no bother,them changing it,bt should be 2015 like they admantly said it would be.Counties kmw in advance.
    It makes the relegation play of look comical now.

• Advertisement

You cant argue with your points,their valid.

The point is do the rule shouldnt be changed just cause were relegated.Limerick were wronged two years ago.

By the rules last year we werent gd enough,and cork must be accountable on the field of play like 31 other counties.

I have no bother,them changing it,bt should be 2015 like they admantly said it would be.Counties kmw in advance.
    It makes the relegation play of look comical now.
    I don't think the format should be changed to accommodate Cork. I don't think it will make a massive difference to Cork's development in 2014. The fact that Dublin and Limerick were in Division 1A didn't affect their championship performances this year. The four semi-finalists came from the top two teams in Division 1A and the bottom two teams in Division 1. I think Clare were unlucky with certain results so that explains why they found themselves in a relegation battle. The only reason that Waterford stayed up was that Michael Ryan took the league seriously.

I wonder will Cody or Eamon Ryan take the league as seriously next year in 2014?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement