Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I don't think Gavin had his best day the last time. Neither Clare nor Cork will have been happy with him. The chop on Honan's head by Shane O'Neill has been commented on quite alot. What I can't understand is that nobody seems to be happy with that particular issue all year. Patrick Horgan got sent off in a Munster final for a strike on the head. I know it was accidental but the referee that day applied the rule to the letter of the law. Shane O'Neill deliberately struck Honan and it was only a yellow. I don't want to make this argument partisan but the point I'd like to make is that there's been no consistency all year. Players don't know what is and is not acceptable. That's not fair on players or management.

There is also one more point I'd like to make. Players and management also have no idea what time is going to be added on at the end of the match. In the Kilkenny v Waterford qualifier match the ref blew up the game dead on the 2 mins added even while Kilkenny had a clear scoring chance. Brian Gavin the last day allowed an additional 27 seconds for Clare to score. If Stephen Moylan knew that Gavin was going to add even more time he might have hit that ball into the corner and wasted time that way instead of going for the side line puck over the bar. It's not fair on players. It made Moylan look foolish. We should have a stop clock like the ladies and then everyone knows the position.

Very harsh on moylan.at least he had the balls,courage go for it.If he got it ,would have bm a hero.He had dne well when came on,dead right to go for it .

If cusack hadnt bn brave up to claw ken mcgraths point,cork would lost to waterford in 06.He went for it.it came of.

Moylan was and rightfully so told by jbm to go for it .

It was bravery more than stupidity.The way clare had won the ruck ball,their was every chance,would wn a ball in to the corner , and started an attack from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Thinkstoomuch - I am glad that you agree that O'Neill should have walked. I had full view of it and it was a deliberate and dangerous strike. Some Cork commentators have tried to justify it by implying that Honan asked for it, which is very disappointing. I didn't realise that striking an opponent across the head was justifiable. Then there are others like Moutofthesouth here who just tell blatant lies to try and justify the strike on the head.

The fact of the matter is , like it or not, Gavin was very biased towards Cork on September 8th. He made a number of, what I can only call disgraceful, decisions. No offence, but your allegation that Harnedy was somehow a victim is only hearsay and if he was, then how come nothing was made of it in the media.

Lets deal with a few facts here. Gavin made a number of decisions that directly contributed to Cork scores.

1) In the first half Patrick Kelly was soloing out from goal towards the Cusack stand. He was deliberately chopped - Gavin waved play on. A few seconds later, Clare managed to regain possession through David McInerney. McInerney soloed away from goal towards the Hogan stand side. He was dangerously chopped firstly by Conor Lehane in what was a challenge that warranted a yellow card. If you look at the video McInerney visibly grimaces and pulls his arm in by his side in pain. Then immediately afterwards, Harnedy comes in and chops him a second time. Result ? A free in to Cork for over-carry. This decision was simply unbelievable. Cork point.

2) First half, under the Hogan stand. Lorcan McLoughlin has possession. Colin Ryan is standing a few feet in front of him and stands his ground. Ryan does not move towards or away from McLoughlin. McLouglin puts the head down and attempts shoulder charge through Ryan with such force that Ryan ends up on his ass. Result ? Free in to Cork, for god knows what. A shoulder charge akin to what McLoughlin did is an obvious free against him. Cork point.

3) First half, Kelly makes a good save, from Kearney I think. The balls breaks loose and there is a group of players trying to gain possession. Kelly roll lifts the ball a good two feet off the ground. Gavin blows for a free in to Cork for Kelly alledgy picking the ball off the ground. Another decision that defies logic.

4) Second half just before Corks third goal. Moylan deliberately pushes O'Donovan in the back in what again should have been a deliberate free out. Gavin waves play on and ball ends up in the net (Cronin)for a goal to Cork

5) Start of second half, Podge Collins races out from the corner/wing forward position and receives a push in the back from McDonnell and ends up flat on his face sprawled on the ground. Gavin ways play on, in a play that results in a Cork point.

That is at least 1-3 that Cork scored as a direct result of basic mistakes by Gavin. Cork can try and paint this down as much as they want, but these are the facts of the situation.

This is before we even talk about Nash's illegal lift for the frees and penalty. The rule states that the player must lift and strike, not scoop/throw and strike. What Nash did is unsportsmanlike, illegal and downright dangerous.

It speaks volumes that the only people that have said Gavin had a good game, are Cork people.

Cork have been getting multiple referreing decisions in their favour all year. Even Jimmy Barry Murphy himself has alluded to this fact by saying that Cork have got the rub of green in a few decisions during the year. Barry Kelly was downright appalling in the first Cork/Clare game this year with a free count 19/9 in Corks favour. Barry Kelly was up to his tricks again by sending off Shefflin in the Kilkenny game, that like it or not, was a game changer. Shefflins first yellow was not even a free, never mind a yellow.

James Owens against Dublin - sending off Ryan O'Dywer. Another huge and unjust call that worked in Corks favour and won them the game.

Brian Gavin done his best to win Cork the All-Ireland. Kelly, and Owens made sure Cork got to the final. Lets just hope that Mcgrath is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

sasol wrote: »
    Thinkstoomuch - I am glad that you agree that O'Neill should have walked. I had full view of it and it was a deliberate and dangerous strike. Some Cork commentators have tried to justify it by implying that Honan asked for it, which is very disappointing. I didn't realise that striking an opponent across the head was justifiable. Then there are others like Moutofthesouth here who just tell blatant lies to try and justify the strike on the head.

The fact of the matter is , like it or not, Gavin was very biased towards Cork on September 8th. He made a number of, what I can only call disgraceful, decisions. No offence, but your allegation that Harnedy was somehow a victim is only hearsay and if he was, then how come nothing was made of it in the media.

Lets deal with a few facts here. Gavin made a number of decisions that directly contributed to Cork scores.

1) In the first half Patrick Kelly was soloing out from goal towards the Cusack stand. He was deliberately chopped - Gavin waved play on. A few seconds later, Clare managed to regain possession through David McInerney. McInerney soloed away from goal towards the Hogan stand side. He was dangerously chopped firstly by Conor Lehane in what was a challenge that warranted a yellow card. If you look at the video McInerney visibly grimaces and pulls his arm in by his side in pain. Then immediately afterwards, Harnedy comes in and chops him a second time. Result ? A free in to Cork for over-carry. This decision was simply unbelievable. Cork point.

2) First half, under the Hogan stand. Lorcan McLoughlin has possession. Colin Ryan is standing a few feet in front of him and stands his ground. Ryan does not move towards or away from McLoughlin. McLouglin puts the head down and attempts shoulder charge through Ryan with such force that Ryan ends up on his ass. Result ? Free in to Cork, for god knows what. A shoulder charge akin to what McLoughlin did is an obvious free against him. Cork point.

3) First half, Kelly makes a good save, from Kearney I think. The balls breaks loose and there is a group of players trying to gain possession. Kelly roll lifts the ball a good two feet off the ground. Gavin blows for a free in to Cork for Kelly alledgy picking the ball off the ground. Another decision that defies logic.

4) Second half just before Corks third goal. Moylan deliberately pushes O'Donovan in the back in what again should have been a deliberate free out. Gavin waves play on and ball ends up in the net (Cronin)for a goal to Cork

5) Start of second half, Podge Collins races out from the corner/wing forward position and receives a push in the back from McDonnell and ends up flat on his face sprawled on the ground. Gavin ways play on, in a play that results in a Cork point.

That is at least 1-3 that Cork scored as a direct result of basic mistakes by Gavin. Cork can try and paint this down as much as they want, but these are the facts of the situation.

This is before we even talk about Nash's illegal lift for the frees and penalty. The rule states that the player must lift and strike, not scoop/throw and strike. What Nash did is unsportsmanlike, illegal and downright dangerous.

It speaks volumes that the only people that have said Gavin had a good game, are Cork people.

Cork have been getting multiple referreing decisions in their favour all year. Even Jimmy Barry Murphy himself has alluded to this fact by saying that Cork have got the rub of green in a few decisions during the year. Barry Kelly was downright appalling in the first Cork/Clare game this year with a free count 19/9 in Corks favour. Barry Kelly was up to his tricks again by sending off Shefflin in the Kilkenny game, that like it or not, was a game changer. Shefflins first yellow was not even a free, never mind a yellow.

James Owens against Dublin - sending off Ryan O'Dywer. Another huge and unjust call that worked in Corks favour and won them the game.

Brian Gavin done his best to win Cork the All-Ireland. Kelly, and Owens made sure Cork got to the final. Lets just hope that Mcgrath is fair.

You are the one who is lieing and misrepresenting. Nowhere did I say that O'Neill's strike to Honan's head was "justifiable", only that Honan did the same and both should have walked. this has been conveniently overlooked.

You then say "the fact of the matter is , like it or not, Gavin was very biased towards Cork on September 8th". Good God, man, dressing up your personal opinion as "fact" reeks of delusion and notions of grandeur. If that wasn't enough you embellish it further by going on with "lets deal with a few facts here" from your very selective memory, and going on later with "these are the facts of the situation." All the time blithley ignoring every dodgy decision/non-decision that went Clare's way that were pointed out to you already .

Then you, bizarrely, say that Nash's strike was "illegal" based on your own bizarre interpretation of the rule.

You then try to bring JBM into it as if he is somehow agreeing with your one-eyed view of the game last Sunday week. You then continue with your conspiracy theory involving Barry Kelly and James Owens, whilst conveniently ignoring the actions of James McGrath, who you seem to suggest is on the 'conspiracy as well in an earlier post, in sending off Horgan whilst you think O'Dwyer (no mention of Liam Rushe from you in the conspiracy theory) and Shefflin should have stayed on.

To leave us in no doubt that you believe there is a conspiracy afoot, you finish off with "Brian Gavin done his best to win Cork the All-Ireland. Kelly, and Owens made sure Cork got to the final"

Is there a tin foil hat factory in Clare or did you make your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That's exactly what he should have done, plain stupidity what he did.
    But sure Moylan obviously didn't know how much time was left. I don't think it's his fault. Obviously the management didn't know either and realistically the referee should have blown the whistle when that ball went dead. We're all wise after the fact but he didn't know in real time.

You are the one who is lieing and misrepresenting. Nowhere did I say that O'Neill's strike to Honan's head was "justifiable", only that Honan did the same and both should have walked. this has been conveniently overlooked.

You then say "the fact of the matter is , like it or not, Gavin was very biased towards Cork on September 8th". Good God, man, dressing up your personal opinion as "fact" reeks of delusion and notions of grandeur. If that wasn't enough you embellish it further by going on with "lets deal with a few facts here" from your very selective memory, and going on later with "these are the facts of the situation." All the time blithley ignoring every dodgy decision/non-decision that went Clare's way that were pointed out to you already .

Then you, bizarrely, say that Nash's strike was "illegal" based on your own bizarre interpretation of the rule.

You then try to bring JBM into it as if he is somehow agreeing with your one-eyed view of the game last Sunday week. You then continue with your conspiracy theory involving Barry Kelly and James Owens, whilst conveniently ignoring the actions of James McGrath, who you seem to suggest is on the 'conspiracy as well in an earlier post, in sending off Horgan whilst you think O'Dwyer (no mention of Liam Rushe from you in the conspiracy theory) and Shefflin should have stayed on.

To leave us in no doubt that you believe there is a conspiracy afoot, you finish off with "Brian Gavin done his best to win Cork the All-Ireland. Kelly, and Owens made sure Cork got to the final"

Is there a tin foil hat factory in Clare or did you make your own?

So you are not going to deal with any of the points I raised ?

Saying that Honan stroke O'Neills head is a lie and nothing else. It did not happen.

It must hurt from a Cork point of view that this would be a tainted All-Ireland in non Corkonians eyes. Every single game Cork have won , has been clouded by huge referreing decisions going in your favour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But sure Moylan obviously didn't know how much time was left. I don't think it's his fault. Obviously the management didn't know either and realistically the referee should have blown the whistle when that ball went dead. We're all wise after the fact but he didn't know in real time.

I knew in real time. I was shouting like a fúking lunatic for him to hit it into the corner - but I was in the Canal End....so he could hardly hear me...:pac:

So you are not going to deal with any of the points I raised ?

Saying that Honan stroke O'Neills head is a lie and nothing else. It did not happen.

It must hurt from a Cork point of view that this would be a tainted All-Ireland in non Corkonians eyes. Every single game Cork have won , has been clouded by huge referreing decisions going in your favour.

The "points" you raised are the ramblings of a one-eyed loon. And you have been dealt with.

Remind us all what favourable refereeing decisions Cork got against Limerick in the Munster Final. If referees were helping out Cork this year we'd have preferred to beat Limerick and face Clare in a semi-final.

The "points" you raised are the ramblings of a one-eyed loon. And you have been dealt with.

A good constructive, well thought out, response there.

I can see that it hurts and you obviously have no come back, other than be abusive.

Its to be expected really, if my team was involved in a championship where there was a big astrix against their name because of biased referring, I would not like it either.

Remind us all what favourable refereeing decisions Cork got against Limerick in the Munster Final. If referees were helping out Cork this year we'd have preferred to beat Limerick and face Clare in a semi-final.

If you reread my post you will see that I said Cork had favourable referring decisions in every game they won. They did not win against Limerick.

Horgan did not deserve to be sent off. But you cannot call it a game changer. Limerick were all over Cork and they had the wind for the second half.

Horgan was dealt with retrospectively. Of course O'Neill was not dealt with restropesctively for his strike against Clare, or Kilkenny for that matter !

• Advertisement

I can see that it hurts and you obviously have no come back, other than be abusive.

Its to be expected really, if my team was involved in a championship where there was a big astrix against their name because of biased referring, I would not like it either.

You have claimed repeatedly that there is a refereeing conspiracy afoot. You should write a "constructive, well thought out" deposition to John Bannon and Croke Park about it. What we got here is crackpot meandering polemic from a whinger.

You have claimed repeatedly that there is a refereeing conspiracy afoot. You should write a "constructive, well thought out" deposition to John Bannon and Croke Park about it. What we got here is crackpot meandering polemic from a whinger.

Conspiracy ? I never used the word.

I stated that Cork are the repeated recipients of biased referring decisions.

John Bannon is fully aware of it. If you read his piece in the Examiner on September 9th you would know this.

In fact the whole country is aware of it.

A tainted All Ireland would not be something to be proud of

If you reread my post you will see that I said Cork had favourable referring decisions in every game they won. They did not win against Limerick.

Horgan did not deserve to be sent off. But you cannot call it a game changer. Limerick were all over Cork and they had the wind for the second half.

Horgan was dealt with retrospectively. Of course O'Neill was not dealt with restropesctively for his strike against Clare, or Kilkenny for that matter !

But you conveniently omitted the game where Cork lost in your conspiracy theory. And your crackpot selective memory is playing tricks with you as the teams were level at the time of Horgan's sending off , and if either team was "all over " the other it was Cork who had balls taken off the line were on top on most areas of the field and had been denied a clear penalty. And O'Neill was dealt with on the pitch at the time in both ematches with yellow cards, that's obviously missing from your list of "facts" as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

John Bannon is fully aware of it. If you read his piece in the Examiner on September 9th you would know this.

I've a sneaky suspicion if Cork win the All Ireland there won't be a single Cork person thinking of it as a tainted win...and apart from yourself not many from outside Cork either.

But you conveniently omitted the game where Cork lost in your conspiracy theory. And your crackpot selective memory is playing tricks with you as the teams were level at the time of Horgan's sending off , and if either team was "all over " the other it was Cork who had balls taken off the line were on top on most areas of the field and had been denied a clear penalty. And O'Neill was dealt with on the pitch at the time in both ematches with yellow cards, that's obviously missing from your list of "facts" as well.

Another lie. O'Neill did NOT receive a yellow against Kilkenny for the strike. There was a skirmish in the middle of the field immediately before O'Neills strike and Kelly ran back out and yellow carded two players out there. When Kelly ran back in to the goal for the penalty, he (conveniently or otherwise) forgot to yellow or red card O'Neill. So that could have been retrospectively have been dealt with, if the authories had so wished.

So are you going to respond to my points from the September 8th ?

Can I ask that you respond in a civil manner and deviate from the abuse.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I've a sneaky suspicion if Cork win the All Ireland there won't be a single Cork person thinking of it as a tainted win...and apart from yourself not many from outside Cork either.

Of course Cork people won't, that is just human nature.

However, there are 31 other counties that will.

You didn't have to, and you go on and say it again in this latest post with" Cork are the repeated recipients of biased referring decisions". You have accused 3 referees in 3 consecutive Cork matches of being "biased". If that's not a conspiracy theory, then what is?And John Bannon didn't back up your crackpot theories in the Examiner no more than JBM did. If we win the All Ireland, it'll be no more tainted than Kerry's and Kilkenny's wins in 2009 , both of which had hugely controversial decisions/non decisions in them i.e. not at all, and the opinions of crackpots claiming otherwise won't be worth a fart in the wind.

You didn't have to, and you go on and say it again in this latest post with" Cork are the repeated recipients of biased referring decisions". You have accused 3 referees in 3 consecutive Cork matches of being "biased". If that's not a conspiracy theory, then what is?And John Bannon didn't back up your crackpot theories in the Examiner no more than JBM did. If we win the All Ireland, it'll be no more tainted than Kerry's and Kilkenny's wins in 2009 , both of which had hugely controversial decisions/non decisions in them i.e. not at all, and the opinions of crackpots claiming otherwise won't be worth a fart in the wind.

I have backed up my claims with very specific and convincing examples. I note that interest, you have not even attempted to discuss any of them.

Unfortunately, all you have done to try and negate my facts are hurl abuse in my direction. That speaks volumes.

Nobody is going to think this is a tainted All-Ireland. On the contrary most Cork people will recognise the monumental impact that JBM has had on the Cork players. JBM is the only manger to have beaten Cody twice in championship. Once back in '99 and now again in the quarter final. All the Cork players have developed hugely under JBM and what they lack in individual talent in certain areas is more than made up for by the overall team performance.

I think talk of Cork getting biased refereeing decisions is fanciful at best. Referees will not be on the lookout for Cork in the future but they will definitely have it in for Clare. Daithí Regan has made the point that Davy Fitzgerald will cost this Clare team an All-Ireland because he constantly obsesses about the fact that the bigger teams get the decisions and Clare are 'small fry'. Every single refereeing decision is hotly contested by Davy on the side line. Referees are human and in the future, especially in 50/50 decisions referees will rule against Clare. JBM is always cool as a cucumber!

Nobody is going to think this is a tainted All-Ireland. On the contrary most Cork people will recognise the monumental impact that JBM has had on the Cork players. JBM is the only manger to have beaten Cody twice in championship. Once back in '99 and now again in the quarter final. All the Cork players have developed hugely under JBM and what they lack in individual talent in certain areas is more than made up for by the overall team performance.

I think talk of Cork getting biased refereeing decisions is fanciful at best. Referees will not be on the lookout for Cork in the future but they will definitely have it in for Clare. Daithí Regan has made the point that Davy Fitzgerald will cost this Clare team an All-Ireland because he constantly obsesses about the fact that the bigger teams get the decisions and Clare are 'small fry'. Every single refereeing decision is hotly contested by Davy on the side line. Referees are human and in the future, especially in 50/50 decisions referees will rule against Clare. JBM is always cool as a cucumber!

JBM is a fine manager. Of that there can be no doubt.

Daithi Regan is not worth listening to, merely because is from same county as Gavin. Of course he is going to back up his fellow country man.

Davy does not come across well in a lot of interviews, but love him or hate him, he was making a very valid point when he spoke of the 'small fry'. As my post previously highlights, Calre were the victims of some absolutely disgraceful decisions in the All Ireland final. And Cork, not for the first time this year, were the recipients.

• Advertisement

I have backed up my claims with very specific and convincing examples. I note that interest, you have not even attempted to discuss any of them.

Unfortunately, all you have done to try and negate my facts are hurl abuse in my direction. That speaks volumes.

You selectively chose a few incidents and presented your opinion as "fact" that there was systematic bias amongst hurling referees. I note that you did not respond to the below post in your diatribe about "biased" referees. This was in response to another Clare whinger, though admittedly he didn't exhibit your level of derangement. I could have mentioned the soft frees that Clare got in the second half and could have mentioned the fontal charge that Horgan got under the Hogan Stand and anothing done and could have mentioned more.

Originally Posted by Mouth of the South viewpost.gif
    Striking across the head off the ball - like Honan did? 100% agree. Hope he understands that pushes in the back like the Clare backs did all day under dropping balls are frees as well, that goalkeepers can't gallop out for penalties and 21's and that retakes should be taken if they do, that adding on phantom time to added time to ensure draws is bogus refereeing, that frontal assaults are frees, that premeditated hopping off freetakers by half the Clare team should be dealt with, that backroom staff can't encroach on the pitch and that lunatic whinging managers who try to start fights on the sideline are an embarrassment to the GAA and should be dealt with too.

JBM is a fine manager. Of that there can be no doubt.

Daithi Regan is not worth listening to, merely because is from same county as Gavin. Of course he is going to back up his fellow country man.

Davy does not come across well in a lot of interviews, but love him or hate him, he was making a very valid point when he spoke of the 'small fry'. As my post previously highlights, Calre were the victims of some absolutely disgraceful decisions in the All Ireland final. And Cork, not for the first time this year, were the recipients.
    Daithí Regan in fact did not back up Gavin. Regan gave his views on Newstalk's Off the Ball the following Monday night and said that Gavin got alot of decisions wrong. Do you think Davy's behaviour is helping Clare? I think Davy is a very good manager, he's proven that with LIT, Waterford and now with Clare but he seriously needs to think about the bigger picture. It's not passion when you're basically suggesting referees are biased. The panel of referees doesn't change from year to year that much, so he's making unnecessary enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Squareball2010

Sasol I suggest you take off your rose tinted glasses with comments and facts such as those you have presented about the drawn game.

Firstly I agree with most of your points about Brian Gavin's incorrect calls against Clare in the first half - some beggared belief including the frontal charge by McLoughlin and the overcarrying decision against McInerney.

However this is where you are slightly delusional as you can only see the errors in Cork's favour and argue a 1-3 "swing" that the referee was at fault for as he (cue the ridiculous statement) "attempted to win the All Ireland for Cork".

1. Shane O'Neill and Honan were both at it and importantly Honan struck first, do people seriously think that he just lashed out for the craic or something - it was either 2 yellows or 2 reds no ifs or buts. And to me there's no doubt both players should have been sent off. Re-watch the incident and you should see Honan's strike across O'Neill's faceguard. His retaliation was petulant and stupid and indeed he was a lucky boy to stay on, so too was Honan though. Pity the cameras only picked up the O'Neill strike CLEARLY.

2. The first 21 Cork had should have been retaken - result at least a point and possibly a goal which was at minimum a 2 pt swing and possibly a four point swing - not sure any other decision in the whole game had as big a score impact.

3. Played over the time to give Clare a chance for the equaliser - thus you could say Gavin's decisions against Cork swung 3 pts to Clare at least, did he really miss 3 scoreable frees for Clare that would have evened up this position.

The factual stats on the free count from the AI final are:

1st half Cork-11 Clare-5
    2nd half Cork - 5 Clare-11

I must say lads this McGrath appointment worries me and annoys me. Judging by his poor performances both in the AI Final replay last year - disallowing Donellan's goal by not playing a simple advantage was a poor mistake and his inexcusable sending off of Horgan in the Munster Final which was rightly rescinded, frankly a man doesn't deserve the replay of the biggest game in the hurling year! Johnny Ryan the other linesman would have been a far more sensible option imo. It isn't fair on Clare either as they will undoubtedly fear McGrath will look to make up for and atone for his error in the Munster Final...even subconsiously. Who knows?

Daithí Regan in fact did not back up Gavin. Regan gave his views on Newstalk's Off the Ball the following Monday night and said that Gavin got alot of decisions wrong. Do you think Davy's behaviour is helping Clare? I think Davy is a very good manager, he's proven that with LIT, Waterford and now with Clare but he seriously needs to think about the bigger picture. It's not passion when you're basically suggesting referees are biased. The panel of referees doesn't change from year to year that much, so he's making unnecessary enemies.

To be very honest, I do not think his demeanor helps Clare. He is better off in the background and leave the media part of his portfolio to someone else.

But just because you do not like Davy, is no reason to suggest he is always wrong (this is not aimed at you), he has a very valid point as regards Brian Gavin and my previous post highlights a number of these.

You selectively chose a few incidents and presented your opinion as "fact" that there was systematic bias amongst hurling referees. I note that you did not respond to the below post in your diatribe about "biased" referees. This was in response to another Clare whinger, though admittedly he didn't exhibit your level of derangement. I could have mentioned the soft frees that Clare got in the second half and could have mentioned the fontal charge that Horgan got under the Hogan Stand and anothing done and could have mentioned more.

Originally Posted by Mouth of the South viewpost.gif
    Striking across the head off the ball - like Honan did? 100% agree. Hope he understands that pushes in the back like the Clare backs did all day under dropping balls are frees as well, that goalkeepers can't gallop out for penalties and 21's and that retakes should be taken if they do, that adding on phantom time to added time to ensure draws is bogus refereeing, that frontal assaults are frees, that premeditated hopping off freetakers by half the Clare team should be dealt with, that backroom staff can't encroach on the pitch and that lunatic whinging managers who try to start fights on the sideline are an embarrassment to the GAA and should be dealt with too.

I can only conclude that you have been drinking, heavily, so I am not going to converse with you anymore.

I can only conclude that you have been drinking, heavily, so I am not going to converse with you anymore.

Handy cop out, that. The old internet board cop outs are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He did back him up in fairness. He told us about 5 times that he was the best ref around. He also said the cork players and management just got on with it after the game and said nothing about the ref but nearly the first thing Nash mentioned in his interview after was Kelly coming off his line. Making enemies as you say has worked in other sports. There will be pressure next day on the ref not to give cork the big desicions again.

To be very honest, I do not think his demeanor helps Clare. He is better off in the background and leave the media part of his portfolio to someone else.

But just because you do not like Davy, is no reason to suggest he is always wrong (this is not aimed at you), he has a very valid point as regards Brian Gavin and my previous post highlights a number of these.
    I actually like Davy and I think he's a very good manager. I just think he should stick to what he's good at and manage the Clare team.

I actually like Davy and I think he's a very good manager. I just think he should stick to what he's good at and manage the Clare team.

agreed. but I think a good manager will highlight injustices, just as davy is doing

• Advertisement

agreed. but I think a good manager will highlight injustices, just as davy is doing
    Davy doesn't need to do that himself. Even Brian Cody avoids talking about the referee even though he's grinding his teeth during interviews. Someone else can do that on behalf of the Clare team. Look at what happened to Rory Gallagher this week after he went rogue ahead of the Mayo game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement